CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Sums up how I feel about YouTube. Very few people I can tolerate. Fast forward to 1:45 if you don't feel like watching the whole thing.

Should watch GaLm. He has zero videos of him yelling and he is incredibly smart. Also posts like 7 videos a day.

Why would you bet that also I get what you mean, every commentator is trying to adopt the douchebro, "factual" approach to commentaries anf I'm sick of it. I'd've made commentaries earlier if they weren't basically infecting the entire medium.

I bet your booty because it's a popular prize. Everyone wants the Killmachine booty. But I know what you mean with commentators. Still bothersome.

I'm genuinely curious if you read my OP... thanks for stopping by to post in this thread regardless.

In regards to the red text, if you read part 2 of my post, a lot of people agree that having all these different ranks associated with multiple playlists completely takes away from the competitive theme of having ranks in the first place. Having people who are Diamond in Team Arena, and Diamond in Breakout makes the image of a Diamond player mean nothing at all.

Thanks again for commenting.

When it's put that way I kind of have to agree, but disagree. Of course its purely my opinion but I'd honestly have multiple rank play lists simply because of the variety of experience to work towards. Over the years of playing this game I've mainly stuck to the "competitive" play-lists. That being said I've played against some players who don't excel in that playlist, yet in something like BTB or even doubles they will shit on me simply because these gametype variants have their own defined meta. 

Mid 06 of Halo 2 Bungie began introducing more niche ranked playlists, I believe its when they even switched Team Snipers from Social to ranked, carrying over peoples W/L and giving them ranks. Even with the high amount of ranked playlists to begin with it allowed each niche to prove themselves within that version of Halo.  

Which of course can cause an issue in some regards. Having a singular playlist does make sense in the context of how you presented it in the OP and throughout the thread, can't deny that. Having a refined playlist with competitive merit that funnels all players into it with allow for a cleaner representation of ranks and show who's really good at the game. 

It's a tough call in many regards. Even with the launch playlists I don't think the Arena does a perfect job. I don't personally agree with Breakout being in it simply because that's an inconsistent gametype when mixed with TS, CTF, Stronghold.  

*auto correct shitting on the word playlist for me*

Uh.... What?

This is an FPS with its roots in arena shooters.

Want to know what format most Unreal Tournament and Quake tournaments are in?

I'm not saying MLG should be 1v1, however 1v1 definitely displays who the better player is, as long as the game supports 1v1 properly.

No Halo game since Halo 1 has supported 1v1 and Halo 5 probably isn't the answer, however if by some chance 1v1 is good in Halo 5 I'd definitely want to see tournaments for it.

You answered your own debate, basically. Halo 5 is so far removed from Quake that an analogy is pointless--1v1 will almost certainly not be the most competitive format.

Can I just say that Dunkey is the best.

Oh definitely, only youtuber consistently able to make me laugh throughout the 7 years I've used the site

I bet your booty because it's a popular prize. Everyone wants the Killmachine booty. But I know what you mean with commentators. Still bothersome.

It most certainly is not a popular prize but hey, I'll take the compliment

ManyATrueNerd (although I don't think he plays Halo) is rather a decent fellow when it does come to commentary, he maintains the humor but keeps it on-topic about the game.

Hope he picks up on Halo 5, if that interests him.

Yeah I get that. Removing ranks from a bunch of lists is one way to deal with the issue. The other is letting the players decide which play list to care about when it comes to CSR. Maybe that's Team Arena for one person and Team Slayer (or even Breakout!) for another. Preserve the list you care most about and play socially in the others. Or go full try hard and refuse to play social in any list unless using a secondary account (easy on XB1).

If a playlist is ranked, I'll feel the need to compete and play for an incentive.

I won't see doubles as ranked and then just say "oh, well I don't really care about doubles, so I'll just push top mid alone everytime cuz it's fun."

Ranks create a competitive stigma, and I will adhere to it.

Personally, I absolutely hate commentaries. I just feel it's very lazy and not entertaining at all. The first thing I learned about YouTube back during The Halo Council days is to treat everyone like they're not paying attention. You must get their attention and keep it for the entire duration. There are SO many videos that viewers will stop watching not even 10% in. This is a statistic that you can find on YouTube called audience retention. I always worked my ass off to make sure people stay tuned for the entirety of my videos. That's why they are always short, simple, and scripted.

Now, I'm not saying my videos are better than anyone else. If anything, I have to improve a ton before I'm completely satisfied with my own content. I just have my preference and my own way of creating videos. Some people truly enjoy commentaries and that's fine. I just feel like it could be so much better. I wanna say 80% of the Halo community that creates videos are very unoriginal and there's so much potential there for Halo 5.

• Upvote (+1) 9

Personally, I absolutely hate commentaries. I just feel it's very lazy and not entertaining at all. The first thing I learned about YouTube back during The Halo Council days is to treat everyone like they're not paying attention. You must get their attention and keep it for the entire duration. There are SO many videos that viewers will stop watching not even 10% in. This is a statistic that you can find on YouTube called audience retention. I always worked my ass off to make sure people stay tuned for the entirety of my videos. That's why they are always short, scripted, and simple.

Now, I'm not saying my videos are better than anyone else. If anything, I have to improve a ton before I'm completely satisfied with my own content. I just have my preference and my own way of creating videos. Some people truly enjoy commentaries and that's fine. I just feel like it could be so much better. I wanna say 80% of the Halo community that creates videos are very unoriginal and there's so much potential there for Halo 5.

Commentaries are good when you have something to add to a topic and you know how to word and say it.

And I hate having to appeal to people who don't pay attention. If they won't then they shouldn't be clicking said videos for a niche community in the first place. If i ever did a commentary, anyone who would actually watch it is probably already paying attention anyway due to the specific-ness and niche-ness of the topic

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yeah I get that. Removing ranks from a bunch of lists is one way to deal with the issue. The other is letting the players decide which play list to care about when it comes to CSR. Maybe that's Team Arena for one person and Team Slayer (or even Breakout!) for another. Preserve the list you care most about and play socially in the others. Or go full try hard and refuse to play social in any list unless using a secondary account (easy on XB1).

I feel these solutions are not ideal. No one is going to want to have people playing socially on their team when it is in fact ranked. Yes if you're skilled enough you'll quickly never play with them again, but they're still continually screwing over many people. As far as the smurf account suggestion goes, we should definitely not be encouraging this as it'll just frustrate people once again, not to mention you can't work on other things in-game you want as it's not your main account.

I remember when lengthy commentaries used to be for tutorial purposes.

Now, things have to be "ironic" to "retain" audience. Forgive me if I come off as pompous but I don't understand Pewdie Pies appeal...

Or his success, for that matter.

Honestly can't watch that Super Throw vid. Groundbreaking, yes, but holy shit I cringe when I watch my old videos. They are so bad.   :wutface:

You answered your own debate, basically. Halo 5 is so far removed from Quake that an analogy is pointless--1v1 will almost certainly not be the most competitive format.

I never said it would be THE most competitive format, I simply said there's a possibility it might work again.

Most likely not, but I haven't tried it and we don't have Forge yet so I don't want to write it off immediately.

In the case that it does work it should definitely gain a competitive following since it's been more than a decade since 1v1 has been relevant in Halo.

EDIT:

A lot of people in this thread are completely missing the point.

There's stupid accusations that we just want to go in an pub stomp kids so we can pad our K:D's.

No, that's not it at all.

We want a playlist we can play without taking it seriously. Where we're not going to bother timing weapons and creating spawn traps. A playlist where we can play with friends that can barely play Halo. Where we're not going to come across a To4 MLG tryhards.

I sure as hell don't want a playlist where I can just no scope kids all day without a challenge. That's not fun for me.

I think we just expect a playlist that's NOT Warzone, SWAT, Breakout, etc, where we can sit on our giant 60" laggy LCD in our lounge, kick back, have a few beers instead of sitting at the edge of our seats, headphones on, yelling out positions and smashing energy drinks.

There's a time and place for both.

Think of it like playing LoL. If you've just unlocked a champion chances are you're not going to take it straight into ranked play, especially if you're high ELO.

Generally you'll take it into a normal blind pick, get a feel for the champion, how long the auto attack animation is, how long the CD's are, etc, and then when you're comfortable you go into ranked mode.

Asking us to play in playlists we don't care about isn't a solution. Guess what? If I don't care about my rank in SWAT perhaps it's because I don't enjoy playing SWAT at all?

Asking us to create new accounts isn't a solution either. It basically means we're forced to create new accounts over and over since they'll rank up so quickly and to see a game developer suggesting that is a little bit worrying.

Smurf accounts are an issue in games because they frustrate the shit out of low level players. There's nothing worse than playing your first ranked game of the season in LoL and some pro player smurf comes into the game and absolutely decimates everyone even though you're only supposed to be playing people with your skill level.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I remember when lengthy commentaries used to be for tutorial purposes.

Now, things have to be "ironic" to "retain" audience. Forgive me if I come off as pompous but I don't understand Pewdie Pies appeal...

Or his success, for that matter.

Every kid and his dog has access to YouTube now and Pewdiepie overeacts on everything he does and kids love that shit. He's the new Blues Clues.

Honestly can't watch that Super Throw vid. Groundbreaking, yes, but holy shit I cringe when I watch my old videos. They are so bad.   :wutface:

Don't worry, we all agree with you :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 2

I made a commentary once. Fun times.

then you just left all your fans out to dry :(

You had some very insightful stuff and I loved watching them.

Personally, I absolutely hate commentaries. I just feel it's very lazy and not entertaining at all. The first thing I learned about YouTube back during The Halo Council days is to treat everyone like they're not paying attention. You must get their attention and keep it for the entire duration. There are SO many videos that viewers will stop watching not even 10% in. This is a statistic that you can find on YouTube called audience retention. I always worked my ass off to make sure people stay tuned for the entirety of my videos. That's why they are always short, simple, and scripted.

I think I'm the opposite, I really prefer commentaries as long as that person has some sort of value to add to the gameplay. I really like in depth and insightful videos. I'm sure a lot of commentaries can be lazy, but I'm surprised to find you think all commentaries are lazy and not entertaining. What do you feel is your best work? I'd like to see that.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Before the game went gold, there were other gametypes. However, they were just variants of said gametypes. (Neutral Flag, etc)

I can't find the screenshot or else I'd post it but it was in one of h0lmb0m's videos I believe.

I found the screenshot. Neutral flag is faded, so there are more items on the list. I guess we will have to wait till the 22nd to find out. Also, this is an older build.

njaKR3s.png

• Upvote (+1) 1

Every kid and his dog has access to YouTube now and Pewdiepie overeacts on everything he does and kids love that shit. He's the new Blues Clues.

Hey hey hey. I loved that show when I was young 

Not sure what people see in Dunkey, honestly.

Variety and just randomness. I can't ever tell what he'll do next and he aleays switches it up, which is why I couldn't stand his league vids. Doesn't usually scream and never fakes a reaction, and I love the creative editing he does

Variety and just randomness. I can't ever tell what he'll do next and he aleays switches it up, which is why I couldn't stand his league vids. Doesn't usually scream and never fakes a reaction, and I love the creative editing he does

I've tried watching some of his videos (specifically his most popular ones) and they were just kind of bland. Not really funny...just don't get it. 

I've tried watching some of his videos (specifically his most popular ones) and they were just kind of bland. Not really funny...just don't get it.

By which you mean his League ones, which I think it a bad gauge for how creative he can be, personally. But to each their own