CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

If the original author of something dies, and gives all the rights to another certain storywriter he respects and/or that gave him ideas for story back in the day, whatever that storywriter's comes up with, no matter what quality or how insane, that is now part of the story/universe/franchise.

What's "canon" is not a legal matter, so I don't see how your argument holds.

That's a shit-ton of moving goalposts just to say that Halo 4 and Halo 5 aren't canon.

Face it, your argument sucks.

'your argument sucks" is like the greatest counterargument of all time. 

• Downvote (-1) 1

Does anyone know if we preorder digitally will we be able to play right at midnight or will we have to wait for midnight on the Westcoast?

Does anyone know if we preorder digitally will we be able to play right at midnight or will we have to wait for midnight on the Westcoast?

They could do what ESO tried to do and roll it out in waves.

Guys guys guys guys. Ignore him. He is basically using Waypoint style arguments.

They're only doing it because they're on the internet, is the hilarious part. Go try and tell a group of people Halo Reach isn't canon in real life and you'll get laughed at and told to shut the fuck up LOL

But with the logic he is using Bungie gave MS the rights to Halo who then let 343 oversee everything Halo. So by that anything Halo that comes out of 343 is canon

• Upvote (+1) 1

It's not the same universe though. The story starts and ends with OG Eric's story.

Okay. So the Nylund sequels, og Halo trilogy, Kilo 5, ODST, Reach, forerunner trilogy, Nightfall, Evolutions, Hunt the Truth, Halo 4/5, Forward unto Down, Legends....thats all different universes with weird connections wich dont really mean anything in the end right ?

I will rather continue to enjoy it as a one big connected universe even if it does not click sometimes.

It is though.

OG Eric hasn't quit creating OG halo plotlines, nor adding to his universe. He hasn't died or retired.

no one has the rights to create Halo book (OG Halo) plotlines, only Halo console game plotlines.

That's why halo console stories are non-canon/alternate timelines, that branch off of the OG Halo book plot lines.

Especially if they conflict with that OG plotlines.

Say if Halo console plotlines features Master Chief to be 7 feet tall and 2 tons, but the OG plot line (books) depict him as 8 feet tall and 2 tons, master chief is really 8 feet tall and 2 tons. 

I'm sure the Halo console stories have a bunch of these things in it that conflict with the OG Halo.

That's why they cannot exist within the same universe/timeline, and why the OG author's universe takes precedence over anything else.

I think it's midnight EST for everyone.

They could do what ESO tried to do and roll it out in waves.

What's ESO?  And shouldn't people who already downloaded the game be able to play it as soon as the game goes live?  

What's ESO?  And shouldn't people who already downloaded the game be able to play it as soon as the game goes live?  

Elder Scrolls Online. They tried to make it so the servers dont get hit hard so they rolled it out in waves. But they fucked up cause when it was the USs turn it accidentally let everyone in the world in and it broke the system.

I think it's midnight EST for everyone.

Thats what I was thinking when I looked at the game on Xbox.com. Just wanna make sure so i dont have to wait longer than i have too.

But with the logic he is using Bungie gave MS the rights to Halo who then let 343 oversee everything Halo. So by that anything Halo that comes out of 343 is canon

Who wrote the Halo CE, Halo 2, halo 3 and Halo Reach plot lines? OG Eric? Because if he did, he pretty much polluted his universe with plot holes and inconsistencies.

If he didn't, he probably gave the rights to Bungie to create their own universe and plot with his characters etc. Doesn't mean these things are canon or in the same universe as his OG Halo universe.

Example: Akira Toriyama, creator and original author of Dragon Ball gave Toei Animation the rights to "continue" Dragon Ball with Dragon Ball GT. GT uses DB and DBZ characters in its series.

GT is clearly an alternate timeline/universe to Akira's Dragon Ball/DBZ. it is not canon. 

Especially with Dragon Ball Super coming out (which is being written by Akira T. now, the OG author) and invalidating GT with Pan being born much earlier than she did in GT. Super now supercedes (ayeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee) GT.

They're only doing it because they're on the internet, is the hilarious part. Go try and tell a group of people Halo Reach isn't canon in real life and you'll get laughed at and told to shut the fuck up LOL

This is a supremely good argument gg

It is though.

OG Eric hasn't quit creating OG halo plotlines, nor adding to his universe. He hasn't died or retired.

no one has the rights to create Halo book (OG Halo) plotlines, only Halo console game plotlines.

That's why halo console stories are non-canon/alternate timelines, that branch off of the OG Halo book plot lines.

Especially if they conflict with that OG plotlines.

Say if Halo console plotlines features Master Chief to be 7 feet tall and 2 tons, but the OG plot line (books) depict him as 8 feet tall and 2 tons, master chief is really 8 feet tall and 2 tons. 

I'm sure the Halo console stories have a bunch of these things in it that conflict with the OG Halo.

That's why they cannot exist within the same universe/timeline, and why the OG author's universe takes precedence over anything else.

And as I just said, "canon" has nothing to do with copyright.

Sure they conflict, but what is canon only matters in the minds of fans. The concept itself has no other form of relevance.

It's why I would be perfectly okay with someone coming along and saying, "I am going to completely remake the Star Wars prequels into movies that don't suck ass". If those movies included plot changes that made sense and were entertaining, you bet your ass I'd go with that canon.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Who wrote the Halo CE, Halo 2, halo 3 and Halo Reach plot lines? OG Eric? Because if he did, he pretty much polluted his universe with plot holes and inconsistencies.

If he didn't, he probably gave the rights to Bungie to create their own universe and plot with his characters etc. Doesn't mean these things are canon or in the same universe as his OG Halo universe.

Example: Akira Toriyama, creator and original author of Dragon Ball gave Toei Animation the rights to "continue" Dragon Ball with Dragon Ball GT. GT uses DB and DBZ characters in its series.

GT is clearly an alternate timeline/universe to Akira's Dragon Ball/DBZ. it is not canon. 

Especially with Dragon Ball Super coming out (which is being written by Akira T. now, the OG author) and invalidating GT with Pan being born much earlier than she did in GT. Super now supercedes (ayeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee) GT.

This is a supremely good argument gg

I'm not apart of your cute little Reach argument lol

Elder Scrolls Online. They tried to make it so the servers dont get hit hard so they rolled it out in waves. But they fucked up cause when it was the USs turn it accidentally let everyone in the world in and it broke the system.

Agreed, I can't remember a multiplayer game that had a successful launch when it was highly anticipated. World of Warcraft, Diablo 3, Battlefield 4, Halo: MCC, and a billion others when it comes to less than server overcapacity and constant crashes.

And as I just said, "canon" has nothing to do with copyright.

Sure they conflict, but what is canon only matters in the minds of fans. The concept itself has no other form of relevance.

It's why I would be perfectly okay with someone coming along and saying, "I am going to completely remake the Star Wars prequels into movies that don't suck ass". If those movies included plot changes that made sense and were entertaining, you bet your ass I'd go with that canon.

And if you were writing any academic "research" paper on any story, say Dragon Ball or Halo, you cannot seriously cite any non-canon/non-official/alternate plot lines such as GT or the Halo console plot lines for it. 

You can't say master chief is 30 feet tall because some other guy who isn't the OG author said so, and you agree with him. 

no one has the rights to create Halo book (OG Halo) plotlines, only Halo console game plotlines

Nylund was hired to write that story, he didnt just came up with it. I am pretty sure he was also given a basic plot together with most of the characters.

Nylund was hired to write that story, he didnt just came up with it. I am pretty sure he was also given a basic plot together with most of the characters.

source?