CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

An Overwatch system like CS:GO would solve this. If you're griefing in CS and X players report you, you end up in a replay system, where the spectators vote a verdict whether you're cheating, griefing, deranking and whatnot. Pretty efficient system at it.

I've had nothing but bad experinces with people voting on other players in PC games. There's too much group think. Say if a streamer says "he's cheating!" when he's not, well it's too late, everyone is going to believe the streamer. Same goes for someone with a group of friends and a bunch of other variables. Basically, developers should only rely on hard data that should be set up with the game to detect cheating, griefing, and whatnot.

• Upvote (+1) 1

What's the highest rank you can place into? Diamond? Or could you theoretically place into Onyx or Champion?

I'm not clear on how placement even works. Is it based solely on your record from your 10 placement matches, or are there other factors? If you go 10-0, you get placed in Diamond? If you go 0-10 or 1-9 you get placed in Bronze?

Do placement matches have any sort of skill matching, based on past CSR's perhaps? It seems odd that you could just so happen to play really bad players in a majority of your placement matches, place Diamond, and then never drop from Diamond even though you don't belong there skillwise.

I wonder how long (how many wins) it would take to progress through the ranks. If the better players on my friends list weren't on at the beginning of a season and I placed into Silver, would it take me an unreasonable amount of time to get to Diamond by the end of the month? Would I be better off not even playing placement games at the beginning of a season until my good friends were on?

The blog mentioned getting something like an emblem to commemorate your earning a CSR during a season, but are these commemorations general to the season, or could you get, for example, an emblem showing that you were Season 1 Diamond? I would love to be able to see players' average ranking across seasons, or highest CSR ever achieved. That is much more interesting to me than a general "Season 1" emblem that thousands of people will get.

So many questions  :wutface:

@@Sal1ent

I've had nothing but bad experinces with people voting on other players in PC games. There's too much group think. Say if a streamer says "he's cheating!" when he's not, well it's too late, everyone is going to believe the streamer. Same goes for someone with a group of friends and a bunch of other variables. Basically, developers should only rely on hard data that should be set up with the game to detect cheating, griefing, and whatnot.

That's not how it works though. You can't play the system and a streamer has no impact in the verdict. http://blog.counter-strike.net/index.php/overwatch/

I wonder how fair/well the system is going to be at matching when you're playing with a few friends that are lower ranks.

So hypothetically you are a bad player and if you get lucky and accidentally win 8/10 games and say you get placed in diamond.  Even though you are nowhere near the standard of diamond, you can never drop down to platinum or gold?

So hypothetically you are a bad player and if you get lucky and accidentally win 8/10 games and say you get placed in diamond.  Even though you are nowhere near the standard of diamond, you can never drop down to platinum or gold?

You can drop down divisions/sub-divisions if you keep on losing. Conversely, you can go up in ranking if you win.

No, it takes actual skill as well as winning. It's not ALL about your wins.

So hypothetically you are a bad player and if you get lucky and accidentally win 8/10 games and say you get placed in diamond. Even though you are nowhere near the standard of diamond, you can never drop down to platinum or gold?

You won't get lucky. The game will factor in the skill level of your teammates, your enemies, and your individual performance.

If you are performing up to par and are beating Champions then yes, there is the chance you can get placed into Onyx. If your Champion teammates are helping you beat Platinum I doubt the system would place you in Diamond. It should factor in your teammates skill.

• Upvote (+1) 1

No, it takes actual skill as well as winning. It's not ALL about your wins.

Correct me if I'm wrong...but yes, it literally is.

You won't get lucky. The game will factor in the skill level of your teammates, your enemies, and your individual performance.

If you are performing up to par and are beating Champions then yes, there is the chance you can get placed into Onyx. If your Champion teammates are helping you beat Platinum I doubt the system would place you in Diamond. It should factor in your teammates skill.

How will the system know how to skill-match you in placement matches (i.e. prior to your having a rank)? Or is it random? If I'm still doing my placement matches, it seems unfair that I could have to face Champions. I'm confused on how that's decided.

You can get lucky. It was shown time and time again in League of Legends, and now you don't see anything about it, because there's tonnes of variables to the rating system. CS:GO has the very same system too. Both of these games are very teamwork-heavy.

Having more variables, such as a rating system based on the Glicko-2 system, is definitely better than just a plain Elo system. It will make the ratings much more stable, because players who shouldn't rank up because they're on a lucky streak doesn't, while those who's on a shitty streak aren't impacted as much.

Correct me if I'm wrong...but yes, it literally is.

Literally, it's not. At least from what they said previously, they use skill/wins of the team. I could be wrong, but that is what they explained in the beta.

Ah ok, so the placement matches take into account individual skill, making that part not purely W/L.  After you are placed it becomes purely W/L progression.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Hadn't actually thought of that, good question.

Not entirely the same but a month works quite well in Hearthstone, I think anything longer would drag out a bit too much

As a hearthstone player you cant really compare that imo. Most hearthstone games dont last nearly as long as a halo game not to mention that you have to grind really hard to get legend. A lot of people cannot do that. 

What about boosting tho 

Nothing overly complicated, just solid win/loss ranking. How it should be. The banhammer stuff sounds great as well.

One thing I didn't see addressed. Will you receive a quit ban if you are one of the last members of your team to quit? Like if it's 1v4 and I decide that I don't want to be melted off spawn over and over, is the game going to give me a timeout for leaving?

I feel like the last two players present on a team shouldn't receive harsh quit penalties for leaving the match. I'd even suggest that they be encouraged to quit. It's not fun playing on either side of a 2v4.

How will the system know how to skill-match you in placement matches (i.e. prior to your having a rank)? Or is it random? If I'm still doing my placement matches, it seems unfair that I could have to face Champions. I'm confused on how that's decided.

You have a base, say 1500 points, that you start at. So you're going to get matched against everyone who's got 1500 rating. When you've played 10 matches you have a total of whatever much you won or lost, so say it's 1200 points, you're then placed in Bronze 2. From there you climb up or drop down.

Random but in that case I throughly doubt you'll play Champions for 10 games in a row.

You have a base, say 1500 points, that you start at. So you're going to get matched against everyone who's got 1500 rating. When you've played 10 matches you have a total of whatever much you won or lost, so say it's 1200 points, you're then placed in Bronze 2. From there you climb up or drop down.

No that's not how placement works.

Random but in that case I throughly doubt you'll play Champions for 10 games in a row.

You sure about that? If they're using a regular Elo system, which it definitely sounds like, then there's a base you start at and get matched against everyone's who's around that base.

No that's not how placement works.

That's how every single other ranking system works.

You sure about that? If they're using a regular Elo system, which it definitely sounds like, then there's a base you start at and get matched against everyone's who's around that base.

It says in the post that it will try to match exact CSR, then slowly widen the area.