CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Breakout is actually Kevin (presumably Franklin)'s baby according to Quinn based on his experiences playing competitive Paintball.

The map does look like a paintball map if you made it in the Halo universe. It's actually the very first thing I thought of when I saw the video. Too bad the game just doesn't look like anything I'd expect it to look like if I wanted to buy a Halo game. Maybe if I'm bored and want a new series of shooter I'll pick up H5. Assuming its confirmed to actually work on release anyways...

Why is this game still being discussed as a good game. It's garbage, and it'll be that way through the beta and when it releases. A great ranking system and spec mode isn't going to save this piece of shit.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 8

Why is this game still being discussed as a good game. It's garbage, and it'll be that way through the beta and when it releases. A great ranking system and spec mode isn't going to save this piece of shit.

I posted a while back discussing this attitude. Yes you can be like this, but being like that won't get shit done. At least play the beta, say what's wrong, why, and how to fix it. If we do that, then the game can be changed in a major way like 343 have said SEVERAL times.

OK you are selling me on clamber now because it has the potential to bring back vertical game play.

I was trying to sell wall-kick instead of clamber lol.

I posted a while back discussing this attitude. Yes you can be like this, but being like that won't get shit done. At least play the beta, say what's wrong, why, and how to fix it. If we do that, then the game can be changed in a major way like 343 have said SEVERAL times.

In order for the game to not be trash they would have to take out clamber and sprint. Those are the 2 main things that will ruin the game and I have 0 faith no matter how much backlash they get, they won't remove either.

In order for the game to not be trash they would have to take out clamber and sprint. Those are the 2 main things that will ruin the game and I have 0 faith no matter how much backlash they get, they won't remove either.

Well when the BETA comes out, post on r/Halo, Waypoint or on here with a poll of For Clamber and Sprint or against, then show the mods on here it and get them to tweet it out etc. And Cyren now has a job at HCS, which should help the comp community A LOT.

edit: lol at me putting game instead of beta, but seriously do criticise and they will listen, otherwise it will fail and I doubt they want that again

That SMG though...it's just...holy fuck.

Anyways...new discussion,

Does anyone think Breakout will have any potential for competitive play?  I personally don't think so, it seems like you just run in and rapidly kill people a single time for a couple of rounds before you win.  No real strategy or objective.  Wasn't too entertaining to watch either.

I think it would be a lot more entertaining from both the players' and the spectators' point of view if it were to have objectives. Also I think it would be better for it to have BR or DMR starts rather than SMG because it seems like most of the time the players just run up to each other and spray until the last person is alive.

If those two changes were made I think it would start to have potential for competitive play. But as it currently is, I have to agree with you.

Having said that, purely from a fun perspective I think I'm going to like Breakout.

• Upvote (+1) 1

With all of the new movement mechanics in Halo 5 I'm curious to see whether 343 will remake Guardian. That map was pretty popular for jumps iirc (never owned h3) and I think it'll be well liked in h5. Or a similar map. I don't think they'd do Lockout again seeing as we have it this year..

Halo 5 is appropriately titled Guardians anyway. 

If Guardian isn't remade in the game or for DLC I'll eat @@Sam's socks on camera.

• Upvote (+1) 4

You know what else isn't going to save the game? Shit posts like this, that have no purpose. If you aren't capable of having a discussion, why exactly are you in this thread?

For Breakout 343 should remove obstacles on the battlefield every 20secs, and in the last minute it is just a plain/empty map, and therefore it would prevent camping imo.

Don't know if you see what I mean tho, gotta go to class my bad, can explain later if you want.

I'm not sure if this would prevent camping though. There's nothing stopping a team from waiting until the last minute.

If you want to do 1 life per round gametypes, then your game either needs to be designed around being slow paced, or you need some incentive to move. You could turn it into a 1 sided objective game with short timers each round to force the attacking team to play offensively. Something as simple as adding rockets that spawn 30 seconds into the round could force teams to move around more.

I'm not sure what gametypes have been confirmed so far, but lets say we have TS, CTF, KotH and Oddball: would Breakout realistically have a chance of being played? Even with objectives I think the gametype will just become a worse version of TS.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

You know what else isn't going to save the game? Shit posts like this, that have no purpose. If you aren't capable of having a discussion, why exactly are you in this thread?

I'm not sure if this would prevent camping though. There's nothing stopping a team from waiting until the last minute.

If you want to do 1 life per round gametypes, then your game either needs to be designed around being slow paced, or you need some incentive to move. You could turn it into a 1 sided objective game with short timers each round to force the attacking team to play offensively. Something as simple as adding rockets that spawn 30 seconds into the round could force teams to move around more.

I'm not sure what gametypes have been confirmed so far, but lets say we have TS, CTF, KotH and Oddball: would Breakout realistically have a chance of being played? Even with objectives I think the gametype will just become a worse version of TS.

TS is sort of a novelty in Halo, but I would really be fine with seeing it removed for eSports.

TS, Breakout, CTF, Hill, Oddball, Assault, and Extraction.

Interesting to see how the maps will work for each of these.

For Breakout 343 should remove obstacles on the battlefield every 20secs, and in the last minute it is just a plain/empty map, and therefore it would prevent camping imo.

Don't know if you see what I mean tho, gotta go to class my bad, can explain later if you want.

If the Forge options from H2A come back, I believe this could be done on a custom map by using some of the new features. You could use "can despawn" and "place at start: NO" (w/ a timer that would correlate to how often you want structures), and using scripting to tie random items that spawn in OUTSIDE the map based on a timer, which would act as a toggle to despawn structures on the actual PLAYABLE area of the map.

If it's hard to understand:

- Let's say we have a structure on the map that acts as cover, let's call it "Cover P".

- The map starts off with Cover P in the playable area.

- Outside the boundaries of the map (for scripting purposes), we have an item called "Trigger P" that spawns in at a set amount of time after the game starts (hence the place at start: NO).

- Using scripting, you could make "Trigger P" toggle on/off "Cover P" when it spawns.

- Once toggled (assuming it's ON when the game starts and it then gets toggled to OFF), Cover P should despawn. 

I haven't tested it, but I think that's how it works. Using channels you can tie various items to one Trigger meaning you can despawn sets of items (rather than just one piece) as time passes.

All this said, I think it would be a lot easier to have an objective and just go with normal objective with limited lives instead of some TS mode which will promote camping. Reaching a territory on the map and controlling it for a few seconds? Reaching the wall behind enemy lines (might require extra cover)? Planting a bomb? 

Also the kill times should NOT be changed from default. That's a horrible idea.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Does anyone know the kill times for primaries? With the amount (or lack thereof) of aim assist, primary kill times should be no higher than 1.1 seconds IMO.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

If Guardian isn't remade in the game or for DLC I'll eat @@Sam's socks on camera.

You're paying for shipping.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Does anyone know the kill times for primaries? With the amount (or lack thereof) of aim assist, primary kill times should be no higher than 1.1 seconds IMO.

BR TTK is Halo 3's

BR TTK is Halo 3's

What? Thought it looked faster - definitely something that needs changing, and needs adequate mention in the beta, besides all the "fuck 343, sprint sucks" comments.

What? Thought it looked faster - definitely something that needs changing, and needs adequate mention in the beta, besides all the "fuck 343, sprint sucks" comments.

Thats at least what Frankie said. I could see it being increased (shortened) around the beta.

There is literally no way that sprint, thruster, slide, ground pound, the SMG, etc will work with H3 level killtimes.

If this stuff is going to have a chance in hell of being balanced the utility rifles need an ideal killtime of 1-1.2s at max.

• Upvote (+1) 3

This is a great idea so long as pieces don't suddenly disappear. Walls that rotate and hide in the ground or pull up into the ceiling would be a good approach.

• Upvote (+1) 3

There is literally no way that sprint, thruster, slide, ground pound, the SMG, etc will work with H3 level killtimes.

If this stuff is going to have a chance in hell of being balanced the utility rifles need an ideal killtime of 1-1.2s at max.

Especially when utility rifles are hard as fuck to use.

I actually really like this idea. As long as the same pieces disappear in the same order every time; that way people wont be punished for having been behind the wrong cover without even knowing it.

This is a great idea so long as pieces don't suddenly disappear. Walls that rotate and hide in the ground or pull up into the ceiling would be a good approach.

This.

Also the kill times should NOT be changed from default. That's a horrible idea.

And this. I'm really not comfortable with the idea of faster kill times in Breakout. I think it should maintain the normal kill times.

Especially when utility rifles are hard as fuck to use.

Imagine trying to kill someone with the h3 BR while they're sprinting, thrusting and sliding away.

Shits gonna be exactly like bloom/sprint Reach.

Breakout needs to copy Search and Destroy identically and it will be godly.

I don't see why it can't function like Warzone in Gears of War. Each player only has one life and there are some power weapons scattered across the map to promote movement. I only played the original Gears MP but it was actually really fun to play that basic game mode.

I don't see why it can't function like Warzone in Gears of War. Each player only has one life and there are some power weapons scattered across the map to promote movement. I only played the original Gears MP but it was actually really fun to play that basic game mode.

It worked in Gears because your main weapon was a shotgun, and there was enough cover around the map to make sure you aren't being downed by a lancer. In Halo it's obviously a lot easier to kill at range, and the pace of the game will reflect that. I'm not entirely sure power weapons are enough to force movement, but it would be better than it is now.