CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Every bit of new information that I have read recently has been features having a delayed launch.

First we learned that Big Team Battle wouldn't release until months after launch. (Perhaps to push Warzone)

Then the Forge unveil also came with news that it would not release until the Holidays

Now we come to find out that H5 arena will be missing all gametypes but Slayer, CTF, Strongholds, and Breakout.

How can 343 say that theyre shipping a complete game? All I can say is that this company better pray to god that everything runs smoothly because a subpar launch with all of these features missing will be the final nail in the coffin for me and many others.

Playlists =/= Gametypes

But we still probably don't have Classic Gametypes, if we did they'd probably be in HCS Rotation.

Lol ok.

I work with Azure pretty regularly, and those numbers are pretty representative of what MS actually charges in order to use their servers. Again, MS does own the servers in Azure, and maybe Azure is being under utilized so they don't care how many resources they're using, I don't know. But I do know that it would cost any other company a fucking lot to pull off something the scale of h5 in the cloud. 

BTW, running something like Azure is way more complicated than you make it out to be. Dozens of servers go down per day, new hardware needs to be available, Teams of top tier Operations Engineers need to be on call 24x7, etc. It's not just "keeping up with the power and internet bill", as you suggest.

I'm a guy who has experience with hosting dedicated servers for other video games.

Externalities like hardware failures are bound to happen, but I'm excluding them for obvious reasons.

Note that I'm focusing on the assumption that 343 is not renting servers, which tends to be incredibly overpriced.

All I'm saying is that the price of maintaining a dedicated server isn't that high if you own it. Really, it's pretty much just power costs and worker costs.

On a small scale, you're not replacing parts every day. Once it's set up correctly, you can let it do its own thing, coming in every once in a while to check up on it and apply updates.

Their latest waypoint blog from Quinn (posted a few times in the last 2 pages) explains their thought process behind their playlist choices

I'm referring to the gametypes you put into playlists. We have yet to see anything about the gametypes I've listed

@@Deez @@Sal1ent

can people stop complaining about forge being delayed.

especially on these forums where they are very few people who actually forge. To top it off very few people even give forged maps a chance. I find the complaints of forge being delayed hilarious. I bet most of those complaining have never visited the forge section or forgehub to try out forgers map.

I have seen many good maps get no recognition because people don't give forged maps a chance.

I'd say their explanation was covering both, but yea additional info is fine of course. Would love to know which gametypes they are thinking about adding in the future

especially on these forums where they are very few people who actually forge. To top it off very few people even give forged maps a chance. I find the complaints of forge being delayed hilarious. I bet most of those complaining have never visited the forge section or forgehub to try out forgers map.

I have seen many good maps get no recognition because people don't give forged maps a chance.

I spent so many hours in random custom lobbies in Reach. Not so much in 4 or MCC because nobody forged in those, but still. Having a steady stream of new maps to play on is always nice.

I don't really forge, but the complaints are justified. Developers now a days are seeing what they can delay and by how much. Delaying features, day one patches, etc. should be unacceptable, yet consumers just bitch about it online and still buy the product.

It's a matter of principle.

You went out of your way to defend yourself with a shit response, so the evidence is stacked against you, frankie.  :kappa:

You're the one that checked who downvoted you, went to my profile, edited your post, and now replied to me again, but I'm the one who went out of my way when all I was doing is letting you know why I downvoted because you clearly wanted to know. 

I spent so many hours in random custom lobbies in Reach. Not so much in 4 or MCC because nobody forged in those, but still. Having a steady stream of new maps to play on is always nice.

i have spent times in forge lobbies as well. And its very hard to get people to come play new forged maps. I have sat in lobbies of 5-6 players for long wait times waiting to get players

Just woke up let me see if I have this right

The playlists are:

Warzone

Warzone (again)

Team Arena (has Breakout which has it's own playlist (which will also be in HCS) and no sign of several classic Halo gametypes)

Slayer (not called TEAM Slayer anymore I guess)

Breakout

Free-For-All (It's too hard to figure out what Rumble Pit means I guess)

SWAT (everyone's favorite game mode of course)

Weekend Social (for that double dewrito XP)

I don't see playlists that pretty much everyone wanted badly at launch in the MCC like Snipers and Doubles. Or any dedicated objective playlists. Oh yeah no HCS/Hardcore/MLG playlist but I imagine that will (hopefully) come soon when settings actually get made for it.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I don't really forge, but the complaints are justified. Developers now a days are seeing what they can delay and by how much. Delaying features, day one patches, etc. should be unacceptable, yet consumers just bitch about it online and still buy the product.

It's a matter of principle.

I agree. However they will not be charging extra money for forge. Also forge is not integral to the Halo experience.

I hate the new trend among developers where they have "Season Passes"  and Exclusive content and half baked games that are not ready from day one. But I do not think this applies to forge.

where do you draw the line.

Everyone has their fav playlists.

Halo has become very segregated. I think they have been too many choices. Consolidating into 2-4 playlists/gametypes if fine. And then for those who want to play other stuff there is always customs. Back in H2 days the custom lobbies were very popular.

why the fuck is it when 343 fucks up, this is the logic used to defend it the most?

oh you dont like sprint, play customs

you don't like shit maps, go make your own in forge.

i'll draw the line at providing the bear minimum for everyone;

team arena 4v4(slayer, ctf, ball, bomb, strongholds, extraction, hill, a breakout that works)

doubles(slayer, ctf, oddball, hill, bomb)

slayer

breakout

btb

swat

snipers

weekend rotational

is a setup like this really stretching a population? i fail to see how 4-5 gametypes across the board is going to retain a population with the comp we have this fall. 

I agree. However they will not be charging extra money for forge. Also forge is not integral to the Halo experience.

I hate the new trend among developers where they have "Season Passes"  and Exclusive content and half baked games that are not ready from day one. But I do not think this applies to forge.

I think what they're doing with their #sustain model is just as ridiculous. Here's this product that could be released complete but nah, we'll give it to you in pieces so you have an incentive to come back. The whole premise is based off them thinking we'd leave if they gave us a full product to start off with! This has never been the case with successful Halo titles and it wasn't the reason Halo 4 failed.

343i always fucking it up with the details man