CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

If you think most of those people have actually played ball seriously & competitively, let alone have had any decent success in it, I wouldn't know what to say to you.

And then you propose forcing people to play Halo in a manner that requires playing it seriously and competitively.

883eeecfdec28febd736510b0bfe93add9f9eb22

Dawg wut

Painkiller just had a bigger prize pool than H4.

Pretty sure the new UT pre-alpha is being streamed more and being viewed more than any Halo.

CS GO and CS have higher pools than anything Halo has ever done. In fact, Counter Strike alone has had a pool higher than all of the Halos' pools put together. It is 10x higher than Prime Halo 3. 

Source about UT's viewership?

And yes, CS GO has higher pools than anything Halo has ever done because esports have grown like 10 times the size they were back when Halo was huge. It's expected. It also has hundreds of thousand of players every day, if not millions.

There are around... 19 million - 20 million NBA viewers/fans on a good day. Probably a quarter to a half on average. If you think most of those people have actually played ball seriously & competitively, let alone have had any decent success in it, I wouldn't know what to say to you.

Most of that viewership don't really know what is truly going on because they're either drunk with the boyz hanging out, or those women who just watch not to be left out and/or because of athlete crushes, or people are just bored and there's nothing else interesting to them on. Even at the actual game, you see most people just... chilling. Or taking dumb selfies. etc.

There is a very small percentage of those viewers who actually watch 100% of the game and are diehard fans of the sport. MMA is the exact same way. Most MMA fans don't fight or train.   

My mom has been watching baseball for around 50 years now, since she was very very young, understands everything there is to the game and league. And she never played baseball a day in her life. Not even softball seriously/competitively. 

She still appreciates the living hell out of it. 

So no, you do not have to play a game to appreciate it and be drawn to watch it.

I think CSGO is ass compared to UT/Quake (so I don't play it seriously ever) and I still watch CS games because I know it takes skills.  

You're still not grasping the concept that competitive sports are mainstream and have been for hundreds of years, while gaming was considered (and still is by some people) a bad thing that ruins people's lives. On top of that, people won't gather around some dude who's hitting some sick shots in a game where aim assists and bullet magnetism is disabled because the average person doesn't even understand what the fuck that even means, and could watch someone do it in a game where aim assists are on, and be EQUALLY impressed because the difference would be impossible to notice for them.

You're claiming that a game with no AA/BM would make all the difference in the world in terms of viewership when at the end of the day, for the average person, it's just some more people shooting one another in a different shooter video game. The truth is, it wouldn't make that big of a difference, and so far, for gaming, we have more evidence regarding the fact that accessible games (at all levels) tend to result in more viewership, bigger prize pools, and overall support than something built from the ground up to be super mega competitive. Most of the super competitive titles that exist right now just happened to turn out super competitive, but weren't just made with that in mind. They were made to sell first and foremost.

And the dribble thing was just an example of how dumb it would be to spend 3 months learning the most basic aspect of the game. I'm sure you understood that but just tried to make it sound like something else.

Also I'm kinda upset about no extraction. That was one of the only good things to come from halo 4.

And then you propose forcing people to play Halo in a manner that requires playing it seriously and competitively.

883eeecfdec28febd736510b0bfe93add9f9eb22

Actually, it would allow the weapon balance to be much more granular. If you suck with precision weapons, use the automatics. That's the ultimate distinction between those weapons (and one that is obfuscated by a narrow shooting skill gap). Automatics are easier to use but aren't as powerful.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I wouldn't say CS:GO is ass compared to U3 or other Arena shooters, BUT I definitely love Arena shooters over CS:GO. CS:GO definitely takes a lot skill and hardened knowledge of it meta.

CS:GO has done a lot for the eSports community.

However I would never use Quake 3 as an example to say "oh people dont want to play skillful shooter therefore Arena shooters are dead". The developers of Quake 3 simply fucked up and didn't provide the community features Valve invested in with CS:GO. May be Doom 4 might change that.

APdGZ64.png

• Upvote (+1) 3

Actually, it would allow the weapon balance to be much more granular. If you suck with precision weapons, use the automatics. That's the ultimate distinction between those weapons (and one that is obfuscated by a narrow shooting skill gap). Automatics are easier to use but aren't as powerful.

Yes.  Because most people who play Halo like holing up in a hallway and hoping an enemy player walks by every couple of minutes or so.  Treyarch better watch out.

• Downvote (-1) 1

So for launch playlists we have:

Team Arena

- Slayer, CTF, Stongholds and Breakout (No Oddball, KOTH, Assault, etc.)

- This is the "competitive" playlist. Guess this means that we'll all be playing AR/pistol starts and RADAR. Thanks 343. Top notch esport game you have there.

Team Slayer

- Literally the same exact playlist as the above but slayer only. 

Team SWAT

- Obviously chosen because people would rather play Halo in a way that is nothing like actual Halo.

Free-for-All

- Slayer only THANK GOD. 

Weekly Social

- Random gametypes chosen by the community. Cool idea.

So essentially we have no gametypes other than Slayer, CTF and Strongholds. Thats going to get old real fast.

No Forge

No BTB

Sustain my ass. This is an "Arena Lite" game. I don't care what theyre introducing post launch. I absolutely love how 343 are trying to make it seem like Halo 5 is going to have all this post-launch support, yet most of the stuff they are adding post launch is stuff that should have been IN GAME AT LAUNCH. Like really? "Halo 5 is going to have the most post launch support compared to previous titles" Well no shit, you are shipping a 1/4 of a Halo.

You seriously think Halo 5 is going to stand up against CoD, Battlefront, etc. with this mediocre launch? This game NEEDS more content at launch. What a joke.

• Upvote (+1) 11
  • Downvote (-1) 3

I have absolutely no idea what is wrong with saying "here is a slayer playlist, and here is a breakout playlist, and when we do tournaments we'll be including them both" (aside from the fact that breakout is dumb).

Instead of saying, "here's a slayer playlist, here's a breakout playlist, and here's a slayout playlist".

• Upvote (+1) 2

Yes.  Because most people who play Halo like holing up in a hallway and hoping an enemy player walks by every couple of minutes or so.

Actually, that sounds about right. But in all seriousness, why would they need to do that?

I have absolutely no idea what is wrong with saying "here is a slayer playlist, and here is a breakout playlist, and when we do tournaments we'll be including them both" (aside from the fact that breakout is dumb).

Instead of saying, "here's a slayer playlist, here's a breakout playlist, and here's a slayout playlist".

Or with saying, "Here's a slayer playlist, here is a breakout playlist, here is an objective playlist, and here is our "Tournament" playlist which blends them all together. We're super smart Halo developers, so we recognize that teams may want to focus on just one style of play for practice. That's why we separated them."

Team Arena

- This is the "competitive" playlist. 

Team Slayer

Team SWAT

- Obviously chosen because people would rather play Halo in a way that is nothing like actual Halo.

Free-for-All

- Slayer only THANK GOD. 

Weekly Social

So essentially we have no gametypes other than Slayer, CTF and Strongholds. Thats going to get old real fast.

No Forge

No BTB

Sustain my ass. This is an "Arena Lite" game. I don't care what theyre introducing post launch. You seriously think Halo 5 is going to stand up against CoD, Battlefront, etc. with this mediocre launch? This game NEEDS more content at launch. What a joke.

You missed the Breakout-only playlist.

Because there needs to be a playlist that includes all of the game types in tournament rotation, so people can practice and get ranked based on their skill across all those modes.

In addition, you just described Halo 4's launch playlist perspective which was a colossal flop.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Team Arena

- This is the "competitive" playlist. Guess this means that we'll all be playing AR/pistol starts and RADAR. Thanks 343. Top notch esport game you have there.

Team Slayer

Team SWAT

Free-for-All

- Slayer only THANK GOD. 

Weekly Social

No Forge

No BTB

Sustain my ass. This is an "Arena Lite" game. I don't care what theyre introducing post launch. I absolutely love how 343 are trying to make it seem like Halo 5 is going to have all this post-launch support, yet most of the stuff they are adding post launch is stuff that should have been IN GAME AT LAUNCH. Like really? "Halo 5 is going to have the most post launch support compared to previous titles" Well no shit, you are shipping a 1/4 of a Halo.

You seriously think Halo 5 is going to stand up against CoD, Battlefront, etc. with this mediocre launch? This game NEEDS more content at launch. What a joke.

I know it's fun to be salty about everything but like aren't Slayer and SWAT two of the most popular playlists of the series? Why wouldn't they have their own playlists over others at launch?

• Upvote (+1) 2

Okay the fact that there are no game types at launch other than those 4 seriously worries me. I'm all for trying breakout in competitive and just in general. However, if they aren't giving us the options to play the tried and true gametypes that everyone knows/loves, then it kind of does seem like they are trying to "shove it down our throats." I hate to say that because I think it has been misused here several times, but now that's what it feels like is happening. Disappointing. Other than that, I don't see any problems with the launch playlist. I'm not surprised that doubles and snipers arent in at launch, and I think they will 100% be permanent playlists down the road. 

I wouldn't say CS:GO is ass compared to U3 or other Arena shooters, BUT I definitely love Arena shooters over CS:GO. CS:GO definitely takes a lot skill and hardened knowledge of it meta.

CS:GO has done a lot for the eSports community.

However I would never use Quake 3 as an example to say "oh people dont want to play skillful shooter therefore Arena shooters are dead". The developers of Quake 3 simply fucked up and didn't provide the community features Valve invested in with CS:GO. May be Doom 4 might change that.

APdGZ64.png

Ok ok, first off I never implied that CS:GO takes more skill than an Arena shooter. Both take skill in their own right, whether it be shooting targets going 100mph or remembering spray patterns.

And lets not take that picture out of context Counter-Strike has gone through numerous updates in regards to spray patterns, some definitely were shit updates haha. However its not Reach bloom lol.

the red flags are popping up everytime i refresh this thread...hard to imagine people are still super hyped for this game.

• Upvote (+1) 6

So we finally have the tools to make a competitive Halo game that has minimal to no TS in the rotation yet they decide to only include 2 objective gametypes. Makes prefect sense.

Because there needs to be a playlist that includes all of the game types in tournament rotation, so people can practice and get ranked based on their skill across all those modes.

You are correct, if only because I'm stuck thinking in terms like, "how can we make Halo 5 the most enjoyable and efficient experience possible" rather than, "how can we forcibly levy our shitty ideas on the players".

• Upvote (+1) 1

Pretty disappointed they didn't add a third Swat playlist with objectives in mind...

:kappa:

Don't worry, the rate this is going at, Breakout being the default for Halo 6 wouldn't exactly surprise me.

• Upvote (+1) 1

So we finally have the tools to make a competitive Halo game that has minimal to no TS in the rotation yet they decide to only include 2 objective gametypes. Makes prefect sense.

Probably because there's only going to be 2 OBJ gametypes on disc at launch @@Sal1ent @@Deez