CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I see FFA, Slayer, Breakout, and Arena as ranked playlists and everything else social?

No. They have  SINGLE social playlist. The rest is all arena.

@@Moa c'mon man, use your head

Skimping on objective playlists and nailing your playlists for the casuals on day 1 is the same thing

Objective playlists have been overwhelmingly unpopular since Halo 2 and are overwhelmingly unpopular in every FPS ever

I believe strongly and had multiple arguments with the big bosses at MLG that if they split the MLG playlist back in the day into MLG TS and MLG Obj, that the TS playlist would have been a very popular mode, probably on par with doubles/snipers/swat in terms of pop

Bungie wouldn't give them two but said they could do whatever they wanted with the one they had as long as it hit a minimum number of gametypes, I suggested that they try changing the playlist to only Slayer for 1 month with a bunch of trial forge maps on the offseason, they thought about it for a while but didn't have the balls to try it

I liked it to have objective, simple as hell to get shit tons of kills as children run around trying to grab the ball, or jump in the hill,

Not fun when people team up/cheat, or when you start realizing that winning FFA objective at high levels is 90% due to lucky spawns.

And yeah... there's always that one guy stat padding and not even trying to win and that's equally annoying.  <_<

• Upvote (+1) 1

With a somewhat smaller set of playlist outlined - and god willing a successful launch with no issues - this will lead to a significantly fast search time.  Getting old and new players into games quickly.

If it takes more than 2 minutes to find a game straight after launch, even in the least popular playlist than I think Halo 5 is a failure.

They're different maps. Along with Stormbreak, Apex, and ARC we have seen others like a City map in a trailer. There's 6. They're just separating them

I hope so.

But why give the first three such thematically different names than the last three?

any-fool-can-criticize-condemn-and-copla

I'm not sure that that's applicable to one who has remained silent, but feel free to apply it to yourself.

I don't know. After all, we just met.

No, the gameplay will make or break or game. Shitty launch playlists didn't break H3. No team doubles or team snipers won't be the reason H5 doesn't succeed.

It didn't break H3 but it severely damaged it. The exodus to COD4 during that time period was massive.

RG0BS1U.gif

Having a small number of launch playlists is a good thing, having a small number of launch game types, particularly of the objective variety, isn't. However, the selection of those few launch playlists is unfortunate; having two SWAT playlists, if that is indeed the case, is a waste of one playlist, it would have also been more efficient to group SWAT and Breakout into a single playlist, and it is a shame that experiences like Snipers and Doubles are also absent. Color me disappointed. The Weekend Social playlist is a good inclusion, but there either also needs to be a playlist which highlights community (Forge) creations (when the mode launches) or this functioned needs to be performed within Weekend Social.

I take it the implication here is also that Forge maps are part of the 21 launch maps, with Gambol, Trident, Trench, Crossfire, Altitude, Orion, and Pegasus listed?

Skimping on objective playlists and nailing your playlists for the casuals on day 1 is the same thing

Objective playlists have been overwhelmingly unpopular since Halo 2 and are overwhelmingly unpopular in every FPS ever

I believe strongly and had multiple arguments with the big bosses at MLG that if they split the MLG playlist back in the day into MLG TS and MLG Obj, that the TS playlist would have been a very popular mode, probably on par with doubles/snipers/swat in terms of pop

Bungie wouldn't give them two but said they could do whatever they wanted with the one they had as long as it hit a minimum number of gametypes, I suggested that they try changing the playlist to only Slayer for 1 month with a bunch of trial forge maps on the offseason, they thought about it for a while but didn't have the balls to try it

I don't know why you're talking to me about objective playlists. If you dig up my posts on Beyond and Waypoint over the past four years, you'll know I think Objective playlists are terrible and a waste of time because of their abysmal population. We can agree on that.

That's dumb.

We NEED objective types in a playlist like MLG otherwise we NEVER get to play them.

All they need to do is give 3 options to vote on.

Make sure 1 option is ALWAYS TS, but besides that just make it completely random from the current MLG gametype pool. (It would be possible to even vote on 3 different TS options since it's random)

This way TS will still get chosen the majority of the time, however players still have the option to play objective if they vote for it.

Taking objective out of the playlist entirely means no one ever plays objective.

I know plenty of gamers are like goldfish and have no problem playing the same map over and over and over and over and over (I'm looking at you DE_DUST2), but some of us actually like a bit of variation.

My method pleases both crowds and still allows the MLG playlist to be used by the most competitive teams for proper practise.

I don't think having objective in the MLG playlist would have affected the population at all. You'd probably find objective gametypes were vetoed the vast majority of the time anyway.

I am just baffled how there is no doubles, kind of upset. 

Doubles is where i'd play with my casual friends to teach them the basics of halo, teamwork, bait and switch, call outs. It is easier for them to learn in 2v2 than being thrown right into 4v4. 

I mean fuck doubles is the gametype at the NJhalos that everyone gets popping over- Easily the "main event"

Who used to make those "just 343 things" pictures??

We need one for the two SWAT playlists at launch.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't know why you're talking to me about objective playlists. If you dig up my posts on Beyond and Waypoint over the past four years, you'll know I think Objective playlists are terrible and a waste of time because of their abysmal population. We can agree on that.

I misread what you said as complaining, sorry

It's easy to misread anything as complaining in this community XD

I'd hate to be a pessimist here. I really do. But this game has the weakest launch playlists out of any Halo game BY FAR.

Team Arena needs to have more than 2 objective variants and become Team Objective.

Warzone should have all 6 maps in each playlist.

Consolidate the 2 SWAT playlists PLEASE.

Grifball?

Team Doubles?

Team Snipers?

Head-To-Head?

Fucking Big Team Battle? I could understand it's exclusion if, you know, good playlists took its place.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Seems solid compared to the usual train wreck day 1 playlists. Pretty sure swat pistols is in the same playlist as swat. edit: wait I think im wrong wtf...

Pretty disappointing launch playlist lineup (yet again). 

Not only did they confirm that there would literally be four Arena gametypes but fan-favorites like Snipers and Doubles won't be there at launch.

Anyone complaining about two Warzone playlists is misunderstanding that Warzone is entirely its own mode. Having two Warzone playlists doesn't mean that Arena could have one more if there was a single Warzone playlist. 

Two SWAT playlists, really? Why isn't that slapped into the Weekend Social playlist like Team Doubles and Team Snipers inevitably will be?

Also, I hate to rag but holy shit, what the fuck is with the article - Ryan McCaffery literally didn't format this at all. I mean what the fuck is this:

Content: Breakout | Gambol Breakout | Trident Slayer | Coliseum Slayer | Eden Slayer | Plaza Slayer | Empire Slayer | The Rig CTF | Coliseum CTF | Truth CTF | Fathom Strongholds | The Rig Strongholds | Eden Strongholds | Empire

Why is it so hard to do this:

• Breakout on Gambol
  • Slayer on Trident
  • Slayer on Coliseum
  • Slayer on Eden
  • Slayer on Plaza
  • Slayer on Empire
  • CTF on The Rig
  • CTF on Coliseum
  • CTF on Truth
  • Strongholds on Fathom
  • Strongholds on The Rig
  • Strongholds on Eden
  • Strongholds on Empire

I had to guess if it was Strongholds on Empire for the last gametype because for some reason he forgot to put a gametype there. 

Next time 343 Industries, please post this on your own website in a readable format.

The formatting's so bad, you read it wrong :P

It's Slayer on The Rig, and CTF on Fathom. 

Also, 2 SWAT playlists is overkill. Just make SWAT have Magnums only at the beginning, and add in BR/DMR variants later...

BRB, going to peep reddit and waypoint to see what they think. 

Reddit: They seem somewhat baffled at 2 SWATs and no snipers

Waypoint: Talking about Pizza slayer

wrote:
Totally read 
Plaza
 Slayer as 
Pizza
 Slayer, now I'm sad. That sounded like a very tasty game mode ;(

Rest if it looks great though
:D

Cheesetacular!
Pepperonipocalypse!
Mushroomanjaro!Tasty medals.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

@@Pyroteq Please read the whole thing

I said to do as a trial period for 1 month, because Bungie would only give them 1 playlist

If they had the balls to try it and it was a success, then they would have had an opportunity to ask for a second playlist

I also wanted them to replace all the objective modes with all of the best foundry maps in the game at the time (Sandbox was not out yet)

If it was not a success, then life goes back to normal

That's not dumb, that's just forward thinking

As much as I would want a standard playlist lineup akin to what Halo has been used to for the past forever, perhaps it's for the best what with the changes in general gameplay and gametype interaction just to collect initial data and improve from there.

Not saying that this playlist lineup is good per se, just stating that initially the lineup can get away with being limited.

Can we stop giving exclusive rights to IGN to do articles if they make glaring mistakes like this.

We almost got 343'd.