CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Gameplay released today looked alright. Weapon indicators gotta go, you're just helping the idiots out. Also not a fan of the Spartans talking in the background either.

-sprint is still broken

I'm curious about that. It looks like it's the best it'll get without being an absolutely useless controller input. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I thought maybe I'd hate Halo 5 less after a week to calm down...... Nope, still looks like dogshit

I fail to see a point to this post...

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I'm curious about that. It looks like it's the best it'll get without being an absolutely useless controller input. 

there's nothing wrong with it being a useless controller input if its better.

• Upvote (+1) 2

The spartan chatter and announcer narration should get set up to be inversely proportional to your skill ranking. The more rank you have, the less bullshit you have to listen to while you play. This assumes 343 keeps all the in-game talk how it is now.

Good one

Because your reply was so much better.......

Better? Its not about it being better. It was just countering a post that would do nothing but bring negativity. ;)  eh, I guess you can say it's 'better' if Positivity > Negativity.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Better? Its not about it being better. It was just countering a post that would do nothing but bring negativity. ;)  eh, I guess you can say it's 'better' if Positivity > Negativity.

Sorry, but I'm not going to be positive about a game that instead of getting back to the roots of the franchise just instead goes further in the opposite direction. A developer that in it's interviews acknowledges people's hatred of sprint in it's game, yet still decides to not only put it back in, but make also make it unlimited. Add on top of that the fact that everyone has a the thruster pack AA, when the developer says there wouldn't be any AA's. Then they add clamber, which takes away skill jumping and will destroy another subcommunity of halo(the jumping community). Nothing about this game looks good and I'm not going to sugarcoat how I feel about it.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Let's be fair here... neither of ya'lls posts were productive at all.

But if you want my opinion, its all good in the hood - people are pissed, and sometimes you just gotta vent.

We have provided "constructive" criticism for years now, with ZERO result and Halo taken continually in a different direction.  At what point do we throw in the towel?  So I understand the frustration. I full on am experiencing it myself.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Sorry, but I'm not going to be positive about a game that instead of getting back to the roots of the franchise just instead goes further in the opposite direction. A developer that in it's interviews acknowledges people's hatred of sprint in it's game, yet still decides to not only put it back in, but make also make it unlimited. Add on top of that the fact that everyone has a the thruster pack AA, when the developer says there wouldn't be any AA's. Then they add clamber, which takes away skill jumping and will destroy another subcommunity of halo(the jumping community). Nothing about this game looks good and I'm not going to sugarcoat how I feel about it.

I get you. I didn't like what I saw too much either. no need to neg but you don't HAVE to be so negative over a game you dislike. Yes, us competitive players are a small minority but our voices are the strongest. If you came to this thread, let it be because you're gonna buy the game, not 'cause you simply want to hate on it. So assuming you are gonna buy H5, why bash on it and not help it?

Let's be fair here... neither of ya'lls posts were productive at all.

But if you want my opinion, its all good in the hood - people are pissed, and sometimes you just gotta vent.

We have provided "constructive" criticism for years now, with ZERO result and Halo taken continually in a different direction.  At what point do we throw in the towel?  So I understand the frustration. I full on am experiencing it myself.

I don't see how mine aren't productive tbh. I'm pretty sure there are more than 0 good results in H5. Don't just focus on the bad features. If you don't support H5, what are your posts gonna do here? Bashing will get us nowhere. Constructive criticism can. So are you guys in or not?

I don't see how mine aren't productive tbh. I'm pretty sure there are more than 0 good results in H5. Don't just focus on the bad features. If you don't support H5, what are your posts gonna do here? Bashing will get us nowhere. Constructive criticism can. So are you guys in or not?

Want my honest answer?  I will not be purchasing H5 at launch, and I will continue to play other games until the MCC is fixed.  From then on, if I want to get my Halo fix, I will play a few games of Classic H2 and call myself satisfied. 

Constructive criticism is nice in theory, however -  I would love to get your opinion on what I said about the community offering said criticism for years, with zero result. So what do you expect to happen? What should people do?  Shoot... pretty much every reviewer has already dropped their score for the MCC, and just think about how many people have already returned their copy.  And lets say hypothetically they fix all the issues with the next patch, how long do you think it will be until we get those "ranked" playlists we were promised at the announcement of MCC?

Its just a bummer man, its sad to see what has happened to the game that I loved for over a decade.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Want my honest answer?  I will not be purchasing H5 at launch

ah, so you might.

Constructive criticism is nice in theory, however -  I would love to get your opinion on what I said about the community offering said criticism for years, with zero result.

I already said that there actually are good results from our feedback and you cannot ignore that. De-scope, equal starts, arena and so on. We make a difference, but only if we speak loudly and correctly.

• Upvote (+1) 3

If you came to this thread, let it be because you're gonna buy the game, not 'cause you simply want to hate on it. So assuming you are gonna buy H5, why bash on it and not help it?

this ^

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

ah, so you might.

I already said that there actually are good results from our feedback and you cannot ignore that. De-scope, equal starts, arena and so on. We make a difference, but only if we speak loudly and correctly.

Descope is the only thing. Equal starts don't matter when everyone starts with shit. I would also like to know what you mean by arena?

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Descope is the only thing. Equal starts don't matter when everyone starts with shit. I would also like to know what you mean by arena?

You must not remember how fucking fun it was to spawn with a primary that was as good as a sniper when there wasn't descope, or a noob combo in BTB, or a chargeable shotgun, or active camo on tap, or wall hacks...

Sure it might not mean much to you, but for grinding on Halo 4 for four solid months and running top level default, that game was the ultimate disgrace to the franchise and was an absolutely daunting and frustrating experience. Halo 5 is ALREADY light years better than Halo 4 ever could be.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

No, I mean sprint, thruster, ground pound, sliding, etc...

I see....

Sure it might not mean much to you, but for grinding on Halo 4 for four solid months and running top level default, that game was the ultimate disgrace to the franchise and was an absolutely daunting and frustrating experience. Halo 5 is ALREADY light years better than Halo 4 ever could be.

Dude....

Plama Pistol and Plasma Nades on BTB was Cancer.

Secondary Shotgun was Ebola 

And the rest of the forerunner weapons are a fucking joke... Literally reskins of every gun in the game

What was 343 thinking??

• Upvote (+1) 2

Halo 5 is ALREADY light years better than Halo 4 ever could be.

And even more light years worse than the best game in the series.

It's not that hard being better than H4, really.

Halo 5 could be good, but it in its current state it's certainly not. With sprint being there it will still be much worse than the worst non-sprint Halo game (namely Halo 3).

• Downvote (-1) 2

And even more light years worse than the best game in the series.

It's not that hard being better than H4, really.

Halo 5 could be good, but it in its current state it's certainly not. With sprint being there it will still be much worse than the worst non-sprint Halo game (namely Halo 3).

says the person who has not played the game

• Upvote (+1) 1

says the person who has not played the game

One didn't have to play CE on a competitive level to see that it's by far the best.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I agree with Delementary about not thinking of this as a Halo game - smart scope is what does it for me - but as a brand new game. One that will be competitive and definitely better than 3, Reach or 4. 

There are many features from older Halo games returning as well, skillful features.

1) Low aim assist like CE. I don't know why more people aren't excited about it. One of the most frustrating things about watching H2A competitively is seeing perfect fours almost every time. 

2) Fast kill times in between CE & 2. We're not in H3 anymore Toto. 

3) Static weapon timers like CE, with in-game talking timer. Sure, four minutes is too long, but that can easily be tweaked in beta.

4) Pistol that's useful (hasn't been seen since CE).

5) Smaller sandbox, no loadouts, no clones. We can help with precise sandbox balancing in beta - but we won't have to balance for loadouts. 

6) Faster base movement speed.

7) Descope

Add in these new features:

1) Spectator mode

2) In-game tiered ranking

3) Balancing mechanic for Sprint. (Again, we can tweak this in beta). 

and you're pretty much guaranteed a good competitive game.

I think y'all are over exaggerating the impact of Spartan Abilities (aside from sprint, which I agree is fundamentally bad). Pros like Gandhi & Ryanoob have said they're not as big as we think they are. This is also pretty evident from watching released gameplay. 

:weback:

• Upvote (+1) 9
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I agree with Delementary about not thinking of this as a Halo game - smart scope is what does it for me - but as a brand new game. One that will be competitive and definitely better than 3, Reach or 4. 

There are many features from older Halo games returning as well, skillful features.

1) Low aim assist like CE. I don't know why more people aren't excited about it. One of the most frustrating things about watching H2A competitively is seeing perfect fours almost every time. 

2) Fast kill times in between CE & 2. We're not in H3 anymore Toto. 

3) Static weapon timers like CE, with in-game talking timer. Sure, four minutes is too long, but that can easily be tweaked in beta.

4) Pistol that's useful (hasn't been seen since CE).

5) Smaller sandbox, no loadouts, no clones. We can help with precise sandbox balancing in beta - but we won't have to balance for loadouts. 

6) Faster base movement speed.

7) Descope

Add in these new features:

1) Spectator mode

2) In-game tiered ranking

3) Balancing mechanic for Sprint. (Again, we can tweak this in beta). 

and you're pretty much guaranteed a good competitive game.

I think y'all are over exaggerating the impact of Spartan Abilities (aside from sprint, which I agree is fundamentally bad). Pros like Gandhi & Ryanoob have said they're not as big as we think they are. This is also pretty evident from watching released gameplay. 

:weback:

I'm one of those people who doesn't generally play games. Halo is pretty much the only modern game I really love, so the whole "don't treat it like a Halo game" doesn't work for me. If I treat it that way, then the result is that it's just another game like 100s of others that wont interest me in the least.

Luckily I still think there are plenty of ways that Halo 5 will keep me entertained, even if I don't like the main multiplayer. I'll probably enjoy the campaign and I'll probably spend many hours making stuff in Forge and looking at the awesome stuff other people have made. And then there are the funsies gametypes in multiplayer like Grifball and Heavies that I loved in Halo 4 despite the terrible competitive side to the game.

Having said that, I do think Halo 5's main multiplayer could be fairly decent if a good amount of changes are made from people's feedback. I think there's a decent (not a great) Halo game in there somewhere, but it's hidden under a lot of fixes. I'm doubtful that much will be changed, but I'm going to give my feedback when the time comes and really hope for the best.

For me, this list of things is what could make the difference between Halo 5 multi being something I like and something I have no interest in:

- Have an option to use classic zoom instead of ADS

- Have an option to completely turn off spartan chatter

- Bring back the social/ranked split (although hasn't Quinn said something which makes it seem like this wont happen?)

- Take out Clamber (I know this wont happen) or at the very least make it so that the window of opportunity is so incredibly small that successfully going for the crouch jump is the most viable option to begin with. If clamber is as easy as pressing A with a large window of opportunity, then there will be no benefit to skilled jumping to begin with, and therefore no existing skill-gap in that sense

Look at about 2:32 in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVwJoAoBe3I He didn't do a good job of timing that jump, but he made it anyway due to clamber. I despise this addition with a passion

- Make it so ground-pound is only effective on direct contact. I like the idea of ground-pound, but if it has an area of effectiveness outside of direct contact by launch, I probably wont feel very good about it

- Take out the annoying bleeps that happen every time you get shot. Why was this needed? It's awful

- Make it so that the hover ability isn't activated when simply pressing crouch in mid air. I don't mind the ability, but I don't want to be forced into it whenever I instinctively go for a Gandhi hop

- Make it so that thruster has a longer recharge time. I like the idea of default thrusters, but only if they're used much less than they currently are from what we've seen of the beta. I think a recharge time that's double what it currently has would be much better. When it's used too often, it just clutters gameplay

If it was announced that all these changes were being made, I would officially be hyped for Halo 5 multiplayer.

Oh and another thing, Breakout seems really awesome to me, but I hope they put some objective based stuff in there too. It could get a bit boring if it's just slayer.

• Upvote (+1) 2