CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

The strength of the SMG is likely going to change from now to release, a ton of things could change. But if the kill times are faster in general, the SMG being as powerful as it is now doesn't seem like a huge deal.

Not sure if this(bolded) can actually be effective. How big is the blast radius? How fast is the ground pound?

If the blast radius is large then thruster packing will do nothing, just like if you were to try and thruster pack when someone shoots a rocket at you in H4. If the ground pound happens quickly like that special in Destiny then you're going to have to have godlike reflexes in order to dodge it.

You give up your location by backsmacking. Also, lets be real here, after a ground pound how hard is it going to be to get back to a higher/better position. Now that there is sprint, thruster pack, and clambering it will probably take like two seconds to get back to a higher position/cover. Let's say you see a guy coming up a pink street on Midship and you are P3 jump up and ground pound the guy. It will take you a very short amount of time to get back to P3. Or lets say you are top mid and ground pound a guy bottom mid. With the combination of sprint and thruster pack you will be able to make it to one of the basements of either bottom blue or red extremely quickly. By the time the guy that you just killed calls you out, his teammates might get like one shot in you.     

Also, it is almost impossible to not allow the other team to spawn on any high ground at some point. Another Midship example, unless you have a guy in their base the whole match, they're going to spawn in their base at some point. Don't know exactly know how high you have to be to ground pound but they could essentially just walk to either side of their base and just ground pound a guy that's going from pink to their base or from car to their base. Since the walk ins to the base are lower than the base.  

The ground pound is nowhere near the Destiny ground pound, you have to be basically within 1 body width of your target (it seems anyway,) the thruster is more than enough to get you out of harms way as long as you react in time. I think in one video (not sure which one) it was described that the ground pound charge time is almost 2 seconds of floating in the air, in the open, unable to shoot. If you're not doing it when you have the jump on someone, they will kill you EASILY. And its not like destiny where you have the BS armor while you're jumping that makes you impossible to kill even if youre almost dead. Also, the distance you can ground pound is based on how high you are off the ground, to the point where if there isn't a SIGNIFICANT height difference (P3-P1) they would have to be directly under you for you to even have a chance to hit them. Think of the assassins creed air assassination, not destiny ground pound.

Its not hard to get back in that position, but you have effectively given up control of it. just as easy for the enemy team to take over it as it is for you to get back there, during which time you aren't in that power position taking advantage of it. 

I think the SMG is pretty clearly designed to be a mid tier power weapon

Not like a sniper or rocket that's getting you overkills, but more like a brute or plasma pistol where it gives you enough firepower to overwhelm a single isolated opponent

As long as it's autoaim constants aren't absurd I think the weapon will actually be alright, basically it's a shotgun that's harder to use because its not a burst fire weapon

Now if these things are spawning into the map every 10-30 seconds then we have a huge problem no doubt

I see where you're coming from, but to me they don't seem to be designed as power weapons, unless I miss something... it seems to fill a niche much like the DMR would, meaning it most likely has a spawn time around 30 (60 tops) seconds on most maps.

I just think it's weird because the thing seems very inaccurate past a certain range, and it also seems to completely overpower the AR at point blank. Then again, maybe that's just how it's supposed to be.

It definitely looked like its optimal kill time was too easy to achieve. Time will tell, but I'm almost sure it'll be nerfed in some way. It should definitely have some sort of massive recoil for its current kill time. Recoil mechanics could be interesting with the now lower auto aim.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I think the SMG is pretty clearly designed to be a mid tier power weapon

Not like a sniper or rocket that's getting you overkills, but more like a brute or plasma pistol where it gives you enough firepower to overwhelm a single isolated opponent

As long as it's autoaim constants aren't absurd I think the weapon will actually be alright, basically it's a shotgun that's harder to use because its not a burst fire weapon

Now if these things are spawning into the map every 10-30 seconds then we have a huge problem no doubt

Totally agree killa,

It reminds me of the SAW, but not as OP. 

Other weapons you want in MP?

CE Plasma Rifle

CE Shotgun

H2A Sentinel Beam or HR Focus Rifle

Railgun that has more accuracy, yet a bigger skill gap.

H4 Concussion Rifle

H4 post-patch Boltshot

BTB Only

CE Fuel Rod 

HR Plasma Pistol 

H3 Spartan Laser

I would think the new SMG would be overpowered if it wasn't for the increased mobility and decreased autoaim to counteract its strength. It might encourage nimble movement and a Focus Rifle-like consistent aim, both potentially taking a good amount of skill to pull off. If TP and difficult aiming allow spray weapons to work in a semi-competitive environment, that alone makes them worth being in the game.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I would think the new SMG would be overpowered if it wasn't for the increased mobility and decreased autoaim to counteract its strength. It might encourage nimble movement and a Focus Rifle-like consistent aim, both potentially taking a good amount of skill to pull off. If TP and difficult aiming allow spray weapons to work in a semi-competitive environment, that alone makes them worth being in the game.

True, but it could use some more recoil. It's also a defining characteristic of the SMG...

• Upvote (+1) 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmbG7e9gGSM

He has nothing bad to say because he gets all these invites from 343 and stuff.

This is important. It doesnt matter how dogshit a feature in H5 youre not gonna hear 1 person say that feature is terrible or else no more invites. At best they will give some half assed "not too sure about ... yet"

Its not like theyre lying but theyre not gonna burn bridges.

• Upvote (+1) 3

The spartan chatter and announcer narration should get set up to be inversely proportional to your skill ranking. The more rank you have, the less bullshit you have to listen to while you play. This assumes 343 keeps all the in-game talk how it is now.

• Upvote (+1) 7

I really hope that the Spartan in-game call outs are either removed or disabled in certain playlists. People barely talk as it is, I really don't want them to have even more of a reason to not plug their mics in. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

The game looks fast, accurate, fun, and competitive.

Some people are going to have problems with certain aspects of it not being very Halo, and I understand that.

I think 343 is going to need to take away the current scoping system for Halo 5 to get a fair chance in the hardcore community.

• Upvote (+1) 5

The game looks fast, accurate, fun, and competitive.

Some people are going to have problems with certain aspects of it not being very Halo, and I understand that.

I think 343 is going to need to take away the current scoping system for Halo 5 to get a fair chance in the hardcore community.

i agree game looks good.  can't wait to try it out.  

also is the br now single shot?

That SMG needs to be nerfed before the beta starts

The SMG is basically the SAW now but with a scope but yeah it looks pretty OP.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Tier system is objectively better. Why would you rather have 1-50?

I guess it depends. If it works well I won't be against it but if we get reach's arena again then no thanks.

This is important. It doesnt matter how dogshit a feature in H5 youre not gonna hear 1 person say that feature is terrible or else no more invites. At best they will give some half assed "not too sure about ... yet"

Its not like theyre lying but theyre not gonna burn bridges.

Yeah, I don't blame greenskull at all.

• Downvote (-1) 1

One power weapon on map.

Spawns every 4 (four) minutes.

Little indicator on your screen no matter where you are on the map.

Also, we kind of haven't fixed the "too many utility weapons" issue from Halo 4. I hope another thing they take from Halo 1 is making each weapon have a clear, defined role that requires skill and increases meta.

Also also I'm not trusting any gameplay opinions from Greenskull. No offense but I don't know that dude, I'm gonna trust my eyes and my thumbs when I get to play it.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I guess it depends. If it works well I won't be against it but if we get reach's arena again then no thanks.

Reach arena before it was changed was trash because it was based on individual performance rather than wins.

Reach arena after it was changed is much better than 1-50 in theory, but was trash because no one actually played arena at that point.

Reach arena before it was changed was trash because it was based on individual performance rather than wins.

Reach arena after it was changed is much better than 1-50 in theory, but was trash because no one actually played arena at that point.

Agreed.

If 343/Bungie had transferred MLG to The Arena on a win/loss system we would've have been back in business.