CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Here's the way I'm understanding how Spectator mode will affect live events:

They can use Spectator mode with a ~15 sec minimum delay, apply same delay to broadcast's audio/visual (Caster audio, facecams, etc) to sync with the gameplay for stream audience. The live audience in venue will have to watch the delayed gameplay on mainstage, or they could choose to project gameplay directly through capture cards. If the latter is the case, they wouldn't be able to pump caster audio into the venue, since it would be ~15 seconds delayed. So the scenarios for live events appear to be: (1) Use spectator mode but experience delay between gameplay and player reactions, and (2) Don't use spectator mode in venue; use traditional capturing instead. Both are sub-optimal. I'm very interested to see what kind of solutions they can find.

Nevertheless, Spectator mode will be hugely beneficial to creating consistent, high quality, centralized access to HCS competition. No one knows the details of HCS Season 3, but assuming they'll continue several online tournaments, we'll now be able to watch a centralized broadcast (likely on twitch.tv/Halo) with casters using Spectator mode. That's a pretty big deal. Basically what MLG does with their league play, to my understanding.

1. No lag.

2. Privacy settings allow you to block people from spectating but you can't limit the number.

3. It's configurable but there is a hard limit (min delay) tied to processing/data transfer. This is ~15 seconds.

For live events you would need to either use spectator for replays or time delay to sync w/ reactions.

If 1 player out of 8 set their spectator to private.. Does it mean the whole game can't be watched? By anyone?

I really hope 343 reverses course on legendary weapons in forge. I know it takes away from the appeal of warzone, but there has to be a compromise.

Maybe reward forging with req packs for forge? So you can put a certain legendary/mythic weapon on a map, whether you got the card through forging, or just regular playing.

Having the CE pistol and SPNKR only in Warzone would be a travesty. 

I was just about to post a similar suggestion.

First and foremost, I think it is important that Mythic weapons, and other REQ system variants, are available in Forge and Custom Games, as to do otherwise would, I think, run counter to what those modes are for: creating a unique, personalised Halo experience with the entirety of that game's sandbox at one's disposal. However, if 343i are uncomfortable making such weapons and vehicles available in Forge (which we don't know with certainty at this stage) due to some perceived negative impact on the integrity of Warzone, perhaps the following can work. As players earn REQ packs and thus cards while playing Warzone and Arena, allow the subset of Warzone-specific cards, i.e. weapon and vehicle variants, to either be redeemed for single-use in a Warzone match, or in a Forge session. So for example, if a player has the 'Ad Victoriam' Rocket Launcher card in their REQ collection, they can choose to use it while playing Warzone, or for the creation of a certain map in Forge, and once it has been placed on the map, they cannot add more without more REQ cards, etc.

We don't even know if Legendary Weapons not being in Forge is true or not. Prophet's Bane was on Truth, via weapon pad. It's a Legendary Weapon. Probably placed in there, via Forge.

I'd imagine that the map wasn't made in Forge, but I understand what you were getting at. Although, having not seen the map since the beta, we cannot say with certainty that the Prophet's Bane is still on Truth, indeed many of the beta maps have had their power weapon placements changed considerably since then.

You know who COULD confirm it, though... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...

Paging @@Sal1ent, and for good measure, could we be informed as to when we can expect to learn whether or not Campaign Theater will be present?

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'd imagine that the map wasn't made in Forge, but I understand what you were getting at. Although, having not seen the map since the beta, we cannot say with certainty that the Prophet's Bane is still on Truth, indeed many of the beta maps have had their power weapon placements changed considerably since then.

I didn't say the map was made in Forge, but if it was ON the map, it had to have gotten there somehow, and my guess, is Forge, as I doubt there's an alternate method, just for weapon placement.

I didn't say the map was made in Forge, but if it was ON the map, it had to have gotten there somehow, and my guess, is Forge, as I doubt there's an alternate method, just for weapon placement.

Or it was placed there when making the map. Obviously as a non-343i employee I don't know, but I would guess they don't have to use Forge every time they want to make a change to their maps, and instead use some other developer tool.

Anybody hate how inaccurate the spectator mode is generally? It's always choppy and not 100% accurate as to what the player is doing or seeing. Not even CSGO has a perfect spectator mode, and that's miles ahead of anything Halo will ever have. 

This was in Beta. Whatever they showed us at Gamescom seemed a little more consistent and hopefully it was polished slightly more leading up to launch.

The rumor is that legendary weapons won't be available to insert into Arena maps in Forge. Seems odd to me with the Prophet's Bane being on Truth in the beta, but there hasn't been an official response about it yet, which has only made the rumor seem more credible to many people here.

Who is perpetuating this rumour? You know there's a handful of individuals in the forge community you can ask about these things, right? They'll either answer yes, no, or restricted till 343i allows them to comment (NDAs).

Let's try not to let the rumour mill running full steam here guys, alright?

Who is perpetuating this rumour? You know there's a handful of individuals in the forge community you can ask about these things, right? They'll either answer yes, no, or restricted till 343i allows them to comment (NDAs).

Some guy on GAF claimed he interviews K Frank who said no to legendary weapons in customs.

I belive the Forgers said they couldn't comment.

I mean they gotta one-up call of duty somehow. Oh, you have next gen fish? We have a fucking space whale.

I was actually thinking they would try to copy fallout 4 this time around :kappa:

I think I was just really into the beta, I don't think I ever utilized the feature. But yes I absolutely am more impressed with being able to watch my friends play with minimal delay, with outlines, and playback options, and free cam, and it all having no impact on performance. That's a big deal. Much bigger to me than grouping, fog on the map, and many colors of paint for objects. Maybe it's the fact that I think customs won't be as big as back in reach or halo 3, or that we actually have maps that can play 4v4, or whatever, but Forge is just sort of meh to me right now. I hope people get their fun out of it but I just don't care about the scale of their announcement. They didn't blow my mind with Forge.

spectator mode sounds useless for live events, besides that forge will likely offer far more than spectator mode ever could.

You have odd tastes my friend.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I was actually thinking they would try to copy fallout 4 this time around :kappa:

spectator mode sounds useless for live events, besides that forge will likely offer far more than spectator mode ever could.

You have odd tastes my friend.

It has it's uses. Quick 3rd person or aerial replays sound awesome to me.

Guys, we wanted spectator mode specifically to bolster the tournament scene. 

This is a really big deal if it doesn't work the way we wanted it to. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Just pull a League of Legends and have a tournament client that is LAN only and when a game drops, they can recreate it back exactly where it was without restarting the game? Also it has Team logo's on the base-walls (Could have team logo's on the flags/bases in HCS/HWC games?)

Any plans on this @@Sal1ent

• Upvote (+1) 3

Guys, we wanted spectator mode specifically to bolster the tournament scene. 

This is a really big deal if it doesn't work the way we wanted it to. 

It is and it isnt.

Use the current system for LANs.

Use spectator mode for online tourneys. 

It is and it isnt.

Use the current system for LANs.

Use spectator mode for online tourneys. 

I almost wonder if they did it intentionally so people would use their servers, probably wrong on that but for it to be useless for LAN's just defeats the purpose, its like if warzone were solely available on LAN's.

I completely forgot spectator mode was even a thing in Halo 5. 

What do we know about it?

It's a glorified theater mode with oracle mode (player outlines). You can spectate Arena matchmaking and custom games as well as Warzone matches. It will have a minimum delay of 15 seconds for both online and tournaments. So if you feel like attending the Halo Worlds Championship, you're going to know who has won a match based on the teams reaction before the game even ends.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It's a glorified theater mode with oracle mode (player outlines). You can spectate Arena matchmaking and custom games as well as Warzone matches. It will have a minimum delay of 15 seconds for both online and tournaments. So if you feel like attending the Halo Worlds Championship, you're going to know who has won a match based on the teams reaction before the game even ends.

I find it hard to believe that they won't have a fix for this. Like they can switch it to a live feed for tournament games or something. I just find it hard to believe.

Also, you need to be "friends" with the player to spectate personally, so the casters would probably have a live feed in their booth.

I would assume so anyway because otherwise this is not really useful for tournaments.

@@TheIcePrincess I didn't mean for that argument to go bad like that it's just I'm used to full armor customization like halo reach and 4 than what 343 is going with now something like that it takes a lot of time for me to get use to but if this will help make you feel better dude after what I said and caused I will say this R.I.P full armor customization 2011-2015 hope this makes you feel better @@TheIcePrincess

• Downvote (-1) 1

Synching up everything at a LAN event is going to be a nightmare if there isn't a spectator team in customs like CoD.