CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I'm not ashamed to admit I cried a little (A lot) when I watched those trailers/teasers for S8. Q^Q

Yeah, to be honest Season 7 hit me right in the feels.

The show in general made me realize I relate to a fictional character a bit too much. :eyes:

Looks like Jawshe Holmes...

*sunglasses*

...went @S1lent

It appears he has been silenced. :kappa:

Yeah, to be honest Season 7 hit me right in the feels.

The show in general made me realize I relate to a fictional character a bit too much. :eyes:

I know right? I feel the exact same way. 

What if the dog breeder took that month to toilet and house train the dog, teach it not to chew furniture and attack strangers and delivered it to you in good health instead of, you know, murdering it for some reason?

Your analogy would make sense if the plan was to spend a month destroying Forge.

Yeah, debby the dog was 90% being stupid.. But I do still stand by the fact that forge is basically delayed.

@@Sal1ent I didn't think itd be that funny, but.. anyway! leave debby alone..

Any details on plaza? Any that you can say.. is it asym ect?

You can spectate your friends in matchmaking or customs, in Arena or Warzone. It's a live Theater save film that streams directly from the server, with all of the Theater controls & camera options (1st person, 3rd person, Free cam). You can rewind, fast forward, adjust playback speed, etc. Player outines can be toggled on or off (as they can in Theater now).

There is theoretically no limit to the number of clients that can spectate on any given session, so long as you are friends with one of the players. The is a delay of 15-30 seconds from the live gameplay because the server is writing out the save film as it simulates the session, streaming it out to attached clients which are then replaying the film from there. This delay is configurable to make it longer, but we figure that 15-30 seconds is sufficient to address concerns RE: cheating.

We'll keep augmenting spectator mode over time based on feedback from casters & TOs. Just getting it to work as a streamed save film in the cloud without any impact to server perf was a big engineering effort.

You guys should poach the twitch engineers :P

T7HvYco.gif

Also, can you block people from spectating you e.g. for exclusivity streaming for leagues etc?

off topic but that is a super cute gif. 

You can spectate your friends in matchmaking or customs, in Arena or Warzone. It's a live Theater save film that streams directly from the server, with all of the Theater controls & camera options (1st person, 3rd person, Free cam). You can rewind, fast forward, adjust playback speed, etc. Player outines can be toggled on or off (as they can in Theater now).

There is theoretically no limit to the number of clients that can spectate on any given session, so long as you are friends with one of the players. The is a delay of 15-30 seconds from the live gameplay because the server is writing out the save film as it simulates the session, streaming it out to attached clients which are then replaying the film from there. This delay is configurable to make it longer, but we figure that 15-30 seconds is sufficient to address concerns RE: cheating.

We'll keep augmenting spectator mode over time based on feedback from casters & TOs. Just getting it to work as a streamed save film in the cloud without any impact to server perf was a big engineering effort.

1. So lets say, 200 people are spectating a pro match. The amount of spectators will not present any lag problems to the actual game itself? 

2. Can you set a certain number that are allowed to spectate, or does that not matter? Like if I only want 2 people to watch my match can I configure that setting?

3. The delay is configurable? What is the minimum time configuration? Only asking because at a LAN event if there is a 15 second delay, you will see players celebrating but the gameplay will not reflect their actions. I think a delay is great for online events.

Even if the delay configurations were "pre-set" it would be amazing. 

Example:

0 Seconds 

15 Seconds 

30 Seconds 

45 Seconds

• Upvote (+1) 1

Frankie has that rare talent where he picks the most irrelevant, useless post to comment on.

Seriously. Thankfully Sal1ent has actually been helpful.
  • Upvote (+1) 3

Frankie has that rare talent where he picks the most irrelevant, useless post to comment on.

and we thought dodging in mcc was bad

• Upvote (+1) 9
  • Downvote (-1) 1

given how tiny this community is, I'm honestly amazed that either of them are posting this much

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Only asking because at a LAN event if there is a 15 second delay, you will see players celebrating but the gameplay will not reflect their actions. I think a delay is great for online events.

Other points were good questions but I'm going to touch on this because everyone is talking about it.

As for streams and broadcasts, it could be possible for them to realign player cams and listen ins to sync up with the delay, but that is of course dependent on how strict the delay actually is.

If the spectator delay is exactly 15 seconds, then player cams and listen ins can just be shifted 15 seconds back to line up. This is how League of Legends broadcasts function, as far as I'm aware, so the only people who can actually see the players reacting ahead of their gameplay are the people who are attending and watching them live.

Of course, if the delay is a loose 15-30 seconds then there will be no way to sync up the extra assets. Things will fall out of sync if the Spectating lags or anything like that.

If 343 is confident in the timing of the delay, then they can pull off using this mode on LAN. 

One issue that I noticed, however, is the fact that Theater switches between players in a linear fashion, by pressing up or down on the D-Pad (whereas a game like Call of Duty has a list that you can scroll through, and press A to select the player you want to switch to). It would be really obtrusive if we have to scroll through 7 POVs to land on the person we want. Hopefully this is addressed because it could make our streams look extremely unprofessional.

• Upvote (+1) 3

@@Sal1ent I'm just curious more than anything, but has there been any significant changes to either the global or playlist ranking systems? If you can't answer, can you tell us if we'll get info before launch? If you cant answer that... well damn.

given how tiny this community is, I'm honestly amazed that either of them are posting this much

Right, but why waste those moments instead of trying to be helpful? I get it, we're a very small portion of the population but it seems like they occasionally pop in just to appease us and make it seem like they're actively engaging with our community. At a point it kind of becomes insulting. Sal1ent has provided us with a good bit of information that I'm not sure has been stated elsewhere, which is greatly appreciated. And he gets tagged in tons of posts so he of course can't answer everything, I wouldn't expect either of them to address each and every question or concern we have. My problem is that Frankie in particular just chimes in at points where he might as well have said nothing. Then again, I'm not on here all of the time but the overwhelming majority of the time I've seen him post it hasn't been helpful or informative in any way. It's like he just pops in so he can say that he occasionally posts here.

Not even the developers want to post on Waypoint.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

@@Sal1ent I'm just curious more than anything, but has there been any significant changes to either the global or playlist ranking systems? If you can't answer, can you tell us if we'll get info before launch? If you cant answer that... well damn.

Global is still SR Rank just like the Beta, but we've seen that there will be SR ranks up into the 150s, maybe even higher? There might even be a Prestige system or something as well, but that is unknown. Hopefully Josh can provide some details regarding that.

As for algorithms and other functions of CSR, we don't know specifics that have changed, but recent footage showed a new Platinum division, and someone claims that they have seen Diamond in one of the media footages as well, meaning that the Beta ranks were changed to Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Diamond, and Semi-Pro/Pro (unsure if these are still the names) similar to other competitive games.

All this nonsense of delay because Microsoft had to fuck us with no LAN...when all it would take is A FUCKING FIRMWARE UPDATE. 

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I'm going to post a blog before launch.

• Upvote (+1) 9

1. No lag.

2. Privacy settings allow you to block people from spectating but you can't limit the number.

3. It's configurable but there is a hard limit (min delay) tied to processing/data transfer. This is ~15 seconds.

For live events you would need to either use spectator for replays or time delay to sync w/ reactions.

Is it not possible for a spectator team in custom games? At this moment in time, you're telling us spectator mode is a useless tool for LAN tournaments unless it is for replays. A 15 second delay is going to be terrible for spectators.

@@Sal1ent Pretty please can you tell me about weapon lowering online? Is it in? :3
There's no way to play custom games offline. If they've said it is in, it'll be available to do online.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

All this nonsense of delay because Microsoft had to fuck us with no LAN...when all it would take is A FUCKING FIRMWARE UPDATE.

Is there a reason for no LAN?

We get live spectator mode for matchmaking??? That's what I'm talking about.

?? I distinctly remember spectating your awfulness back in the beta!

Get good.

you were stomping on baddies

• Upvote (+1) 1

Okay, no. That just isn't true, and even if you think you do, you actually dont understand video game development.

• Upvote (+1) 2