CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I wonder what use the LightRifle will be if the BR and DMR are properly balanced this time around.

If they're consolidating the weapons and removing redundancies, why not just make the BR like it was in Halo 2's beta and remove LR?

I feel like the LR should fill the role of long range kill potential, and the DMR and BR should be equal. I don't see anything wrong with having a burst fire and single shot weapon fill the same role, and leave it up to the player to decide which they like more. Burst shot=easier headshots but with single shot there's no chance of missing part of your burst. I don't really see a problem leaving that choice. 

I like the way the pistol looks, it seems strong midrange, but further away drops off with the apparent bloom. You should want to find a BR or DMR to replace it, so they should be common around the map so you're not struggling to find it.

I like the AR being strong, as long as it doesn't beat precision weapons in kill time unless they miss shots. Scoped in might be okay to have equal kill time, even to fairly long distances, but once you get descoped it should fall off in kill speed. 

SMG almost looks like it'll fill a similar role to the shotgun, being extremely effective close, and great mid range when scoped in. 

Overall I'm excited for the weapon sandbox. I can see pistol/AR starts being good for the first time since CE. 

I feel like the LR should fill the role of long range kill potential, and the DMR and BR should be equal. I don't see anything wrong with having a burst fire and single shot weapon fill the same role, and leave it up to the player to decide which they like more. Burst shot=easier headshots but with single shot there's no chance of missing part of your burst. I don't really see a problem leaving that choice. 

I like the way the pistol looks, it seems strong midrange, but further away drops off with the apparent bloom. You should want to find a BR or DMR to replace it, so they should be common around the map so you're not struggling to find it.

I like the AR being strong, as long as it doesn't beat precision weapons in kill time unless they miss shots. Scoped in might be okay to have equal kill time, even to fairly long distances, but once you get descoped it should fall off in kill speed. 

SMG almost looks like it'll fill a similar role to the shotgun, being extremely effective close, and great mid range when scoped in. 

Overall I'm excited for the weapon sandbox. I can see pistol/AR starts being good for the first time since CE.

I'm excited for the Sandbox simply because of how small it is.

Actually why not have Pistol fall in middle of BR & DMR? 

Short-range: BR with higher aim assist and 2-shot melee. 4-shot.

Mid-range: Pistol with less aim assist, better accuracy than BR in scope (no spread). Hope they remove bloom. 3-shot.

Long-range: DMR with least aim assist, most accuracy, and longest melee/reload times. 5-shot.

All three UNSC rifles should have the same kill times. 

Light Rifle should be a power weapon that's more unique IMHO. Maybe add a stun effect? Or some sort of laser option when unscoped.

Actually why not have Pistol fall in middle of BR & DMR? 

Short-range: BR with higher aim assist and 2-shot melee. 4-shot.

Mid-range: Pistol with less aim assist, better accuracy than BR in scope (no spread). Hope they remove bloom. 3-shot.

Long-range: DMR with least aim assist, most accuracy, and longest melee/reload times. 5-shot.

All three UNSC rifles should have the same kill times. 

Light Rifle should be a power weapon that's more unique IMHO. Maybe add a stun effect? Or some sort of laser option when unscoped.

The BR is described in the lore as a long range anti-sniper weapon if i'm not mistaken, so i dunno if it makes a whole lot of sense for the pistol to be more effective at a longer range. 

If the pistol is effective close range, and the bloom forces you to slow your shots to fire accurately (unlike reach bloom,) it would make sense that way. that way its not completely useless long range, but gets outclassed by the rifles

Pistol=short range

BR= good at all ranges, but not the best at each

DMR=long range

Light rifle I see as a long range version of a shotgun; not necessarily a power weapon, but very potent in its intended use, which is long range scoped in fire. sniper is the true long range power weapon.

what do you guys think about the halo 5 ranking system? it was confirmed it will be a 7-tier system. not sure how i feel about it, i am personally a fan of the 1-50 H2/H3 system.

http://teambeyond.net/halo-5-ranking-system-details/

Well for one thing, H2 and 3's systems are incredibly different. Also, they hardly represent Skill Gaps properly, especially Halo 3's, which is just a grind to keep winning matches.

The difference between a Semi-Pro with a 50 and Ogre 2 with a 50 is massive,  whereas in a Division system you will see that difference visually.

• Upvote (+1) 3

So I kind of left this thread when the gameplay was shown and everyone was going ape shit. Looks like it's all good now. Here are my inital impressions of the gameplay. Instead of multi-paragraphs, I'll give you bullets. Short and sweet.

• Thursters are cool, I wish they would just increase the base player speed though
  • Sprint is stupid, but it being linked to your shields makes it slightly less stupid than in Reach and Halo 4
  • I don't know how I feel about the charge. It seems like it will be annoying
  • If there is one thing I am certain about, it's that ground pound is OP as can be. An instant kill simply because you're above them? Yeah no thanks.
  • Slide is whatever

But you know one thing that really confuses me, it's the announcer. I know this isn't a big deal gameplay wise, but I just don't understand? Halo 4's oversaturation of the announcer was highly criticized and even laughed at a public demo with 343 right there. "YOU HAVE THE BALL. SCORE TO WIN" and the entire crowd started laughing and it wasn't a good laugh. I even thought that would get 343 to fix it before the Halo 4 launch. No one, and I mean no one, likes it. And they made it worst? That announcer is so fucking annoying, 343. It's not a hard thing to fix.  

• Upvote (+1) 6

But you know one thing that really confuses me, it's the announcer. I know this isn't a big deal gameplay wise, but I just don't understand? Halo 4's oversaturation of the announcer was highly criticized and even laughed at a public demo with 343 right there. "YOU HAVE THE BALL. SCORE TO WIN" and the entire crowd started laughing and it wasn't a good laugh. I even thought that would get 343 to fix it after that before the Halo 4 launch. No one, and I mean no one, likes it. And they made it worst? That announcer is so fucking annoying, 343. It's not a hard thing to fix.  

Yeah and with the Spartan chatter and everything,lord have mercy~

Wait, there are no covenant weapons except for the sword?

You say that like it's a bad thing.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Depends if you're talking CE/Reach Covvie weapons, or the useless clones found in 2,3 & 4. 

It just adds to the unique feeling of Halo that there are projectiles of all colors flying around and not just these boring human military weapons found in other games. I don't know why you would remove the alien weapons, but I hope there are more weapons in the final game. Weapon diversity is always a good thing.

The BR is described in the lore as a long range anti-sniper weapon if i'm not mistaken, so i dunno if it makes a whole lot of sense for the pistol to be more effective at a longer range. 

If the pistol is effective close range, and the bloom forces you to slow your shots to fire accurately (unlike reach bloom,) it would make sense that way. that way its not completely useless long range, but gets outclassed by the rifles

Pistol=short range

BR= good at all ranges, but not the best at each

DMR=long range

Light rifle I see as a long range version of a shotgun; not necessarily a power weapon, but very potent in its intended use, which is long range scoped in fire. sniper is the true long range power weapon.

You're right, was just trying to make the starting weapon the mid-range option. Have only seen AR & Pistol starts, and don't want another Legendary Slayer fiasco where team with BRs dominates. But the H5 pistol already looks a lot better than H4 one. Bloom (having to pace your shots at range) won't be so bad if it's a three-shot. 

I'm torn. I'd like to see a universally good utility weapon, but also having the different optimal ranged weapons promotes a better meta I guess.

I'm more towards a universal gun though, Halo 1 pistol with DMR aesthetic pls.

I'd like a system where they can all compete at close range (same kill times) but are easier to use at certain ranges, and reward players for using them at their designated range. 

Good Covie weapons:

CE PR

Vista Carbine

Sword/Hammer

Prophets' Bane (?)

Plasma Pistol (maybe)

Focus Rifle

Mauler

Brute Shot/Conc

Neutral/bad Covie weapons:

Needler

Non-CE PR/SR

Repeater

Beam Rifle

Plasma Launcher

Spiker

Non-Vista Carbine

Needle Rifle

Bad human weapons:

Non-CE AR

SMG

Non-CE Pistol

Checkmate dinos. Seriously though, Covenant weapons are and have always been an example of lore getting in the way of gameplay, or just featuritis.

The best way to deal with Covie/Forerunner weapons is to tune them for optimal campaign gameplay and keep most of them out of matchmaking. Everyone's satisfied. Campaign deserves to be more interesting than just noob combo-ing through the galaxy on Legendary.

only problem i see with the ranking system is there are some who have the skill level to hit the top tier but dont have the time. The system is going to "punish" people who cant dedicate their lives 24/7 to halo, and i think we need to find a way around that by giving that top tier a more permanent reward. 

in regards to the sandbox, i dont think its okay that were getting a new rocket launcher just because the old one doesnt fit with smart scope, its a classic damn it, find a way to make it work insted of changing it