CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

By whose standards though? Maybe they feel that Ar/magnum starts are the most balanced competitive option. Maybe some people agree with that and maybe some people don't. I don't think picking the settings is a huge part of supporting competitive play because not everyone will always agree on it.  I'm just trying to be the devils advocate here, and to get some real answers rather than  blanket statements/complaints. I'm just hoping and praying the game is playable at launch. If not, I guess ill be playing campaign all night.  :ghost:

The starting weapons of Halo are probably the most important competitive part of the game. Have you played SMG starts in Halo 2?

No different than why the NFL uses a specific type of football and the NCAA uses a different one. College vs pros. (though I think college should be exact rules as pros since they're grown men, 18+).

Doesn't matter what weapons are available on the map, power ups, power weapons, the starting set can make or break it. Why do you think every Halo game has had diff start weapons for esports since Halo 2?

The starting weapons of Halo are probably the most important competitive part of the game. Have you played SMG starts in Halo 2?

No different than why the NFL uses a specific type of football and the NCAA uses a different one. College vs pros. (though I think college should be exact rules as pros since they're grown men, 18+).

Doesn't matter what weapons are available on the map, power ups, power weapons, the starting set can make or break it. Why do you think every Halo game has had diff start weapons for esports since Halo 2?

I'm not saying the settings don't matter from a competitive standpoint. I'm saying we shouldn't calculate their supportiveness (thats probably not a word) based on the settings they choose.  

the BR was decided as the competitive starting weapon in Halo 4.

Which should've never been the case. At all. Especially when the DMR, Lightrifle, or Magnum are 10X better for utilities. :P Glad to see Halo 5 reversed that course.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I think I found the new forge on Windows 10 - or what 343i is gunna utilize to make forge

l9Xj8OH.jpg

/jk

• Upvote (+1) 4

Which should've never been the case. At all. Especially when the DMR, Lightrifle, or Magnum are 10X better for utilities. :P Glad to see Halo 5 reversed that course.

the pistol still needs a buff, just saying.

Is the CE Pistol still fucked,

or should I come back later and pray to the Halo gods for a 3sk?

Is the CE Pistol still fucked,

or should I come back later and pray to the Halo gods for a 3sk?

its likely that it would have never made its way into MM, would've been nice to see it in customs at least.

Those are missing features. The game itself worked well.

MCC is a true disaster of a launch.

I don't define the complete lack of file share and theater as a "decent launch" though.

I think there's a good chance that most people quit that game before either was up and running too.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It's times like these where I wish I wasn't so adamant on receiving physical copies. Once I get home from the midnight launch I bet I'll be installing and downloading the update for the majority of the night. :P

After learning that x1 shipped with "gameshare" I never looked back. I've paid 1/2 price for every single x1 game I've bought since launch.

Complete downgrade from Reach in terms of content and (of course) gameplay.

Don't forget the huge downgrade in UI as well. I had a bad feeling about the 4 before even playing one game just from how terrible the UI was.

• Upvote (+1) 1

After learning that x1 shipped with "gameshare" I never looked back. I've paid 1/2 price for every single x1 game I've bought since launch.

Assuming you have someone you can trust..yeah it's pretty awesome.

Assuming you have someone you can trust..yeah it's pretty awesome.

Yeah, known the guy for 12 years, went to high school, basic training, and even afghanistan together. Still, we both set it up to require each other's PWs if we want to sign in to the other's name on their box so it's no big deal anyway.

Those are missing features. The game itself worked well.

MCC is a true disaster of a launch.

In terms of sheer launch disappointment, the 4 and MCC are pretty close. With the 4, I knew after 1-2 days of playing it that there was no way in hell I would be able to tolerate the amount of bullshit that was in that game. With MCC it was games I already knew and loved, but completely ruined and broken by 343. I remember thinking that 343 would redeem themselves with the Halo community for how garbage Halo 4 was by releasing MCC. I thought, "there is no way they can screw this up, the games are already made!". Boy was I wrong.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I'm not disputing that, I'm just saying, the BR should've never been the utility weapon of the game. 

I agree with you. Its important to note that even within this community its a large controversy, my point is that if we can't even agree on which starting weapon would be best I doubt 343i would be able to either, I am honestly more worried about the maps, gametypes, and pickups then I am with the starting weapon.

I don't define the complete lack of file share and theater as a "decent launch" though.

I think there's a good chance that most people quit that game before either was up and running too.

file share and theater, at best, only increase the longevity a little for the game, I doubt it had much influence over sales or early population numbers.

People in this community tend to be dramatic over the smallest things, I think its important to step back and put things into perspective, that way you can think a little bit more clearly and prioritize things better.

No it absolutely did not.

>No file share

>Theater didn't work

plus the game was shit but that's irrelevant

No X above dead team mates. This is as important as File share and theatre for me.

• Upvote (+1) 1

In terms of sheer launch disappointment, the 4 and MCC are pretty close. With the 4, I knew after 1-2 days of playing it that there was no way in hell I would be able to tolerate the amount of bullshit that was in that game. With MCC it was games I already knew and loved, but completely ruined and broken by 343. I remember thinking that 343 would redeem themselves with the Halo community for how garbage Halo 4 was by releasing MCC. I thought, "there is no way they can screw this up, the games are already made!". Boy was I wrong.

As much as I don't want to be one of those guys that says MCC was going to be the shit... I also have to say that it had far more potential (and value) than 4 ever did, having 4 games (including ODST later on) all touched up on with MP and SP and all the goodies that everyone knew and loved about halo the past decade and a half blows Halo 4 out of the water, oh and it also included H4 just to emphasize how great the value was.

I almost wish they would've released H2A the day MCC was supposed to launch, then they would've released MCC a year later, then a year after that they would've finally released H5, would've given all the games more development time and besides they never had to take the route they went on to begin with, I mean how many people were seriously asking for a MCC before it was announced? It was far beyond what most expected, then to see it crash and burn must've been tragic.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

file share and theater, at best, only increase the longevity a little for the game, I doubt it had much influence over sales or early population numbers.

People in this community tend to be dramatic over the smallest things, I think its important to step back and put things into perspective, that way you can think a little bit more clearly and prioritize things better.

File share and theater are not small things. Entire communites depended on those features to thrive. Longevity of the game is the whole point of this discussion.

• Upvote (+1) 2

No X above dead team mates. This is as important as File share and theatre for me.

a functionality issue is not as important as a gameplay issue, besides you could just call it out so it wasn't gamebreaking in any sense as far as I'm concerned, to their credit they fixed it like a month or 2 after launch I believe so I'll just kind of assume it was a result of H4 being rushed and it won't happen type of thing.

a functionality issue is not as important as a gameplay issue, besides you could just call it out so it wasn't gamebreaking in any sense as far as I'm concerned, to their credit they fixed it like a month or 2 after launch I believe so I'll just kind of assume it was a result of H4 being rushed and it won't happen type of thing.

Well, yeah... but.. you know... Internet.

File share and theater are not small things. Entire communites depended on those features to thrive. Longevity of the game is the whole point of this discussion.

SP/MP have, and likely always will be the foundation of halo, I put everything else as either complimentary or supplementary.

To understand what I'm saying how many people, upon hearing that Halo 4 wouldn't have campaign theater or file sharing decided not to purchase Halo 4?

its just icing on the cake, without its still a cake.

SP/MP have, and likely always will be the foundation of halo, I put everything else as either complimentary or supplementary.

To understand what I'm saying how many people, upon hearing that Halo 4 wouldn't have campaign theater or file sharing decided not to purchase Halo 4?

its just icing on the cake, without its still a cake.

Day one sales are irrelevant to what we're talking about. People get the game at launch to play the campaign and multiplayer. What keeps them playing are the features (which H4 lacked severely). It didn't help that it took 343 months to release a semi-competitive version of H4 multiplayer.

Man some people on Reddit are seriously dumb. There are people saying there is more hype and excitement for Halo 5 than Halo 3 had.

I guess MS dumping money into advertising is "hype" these days.

• Upvote (+1) 3