CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I've been trying to think of some proof that the game isn't as broken as....well it works ..full stop. 

IMO they wouldn't be able to have the london event if it really was that broken. 

Well they do have the HCS now and that huge 1 million dollar tournament for this game. Just because they don't make the game 100% to "competitive" standards doesn't mean they aren't supporting competitive play. I understand frustrations with parts of the game, but to say they aren't trying to support it is ridiculous imo. 

Many developers out there support esports and competitive play, I'm not denying that 343 aren't saying that..merit-wise though, that's a completely different story and I'd say competitive-merit isn't there and hasn't been there for quite some time.

Money does a lot of talking, anyone can throw a lot of money at something...even tic-tac-toe and suddenly it's a competition.

Many developers out there support esports and competitive play, I'm not denying that 343 aren't saying that..merit-wise though, that's a completely different story and I'd say competitive-merit isn't there and hasn't been there for quite some time.

Money does a lot of talking, anyone can throw a lot of money at something...even tic-tac-toe and suddenly it's a competition.

I see. So what do you expect them to do to support competitive play more than they are?

343i has given more support for the competitive community than has ever been provided in Halo before, that being said the game itself at the end of the day will decide how well it fairs competitively, you couldn't make Minecraft into a competitive game no matter how much support you put into it, I think the same applies here (not saying Halo 5 is comparable to minecraft, just making a point)

I see. So what do you expect them to do to support competitive play more than they are?

What they really need to focus on more than anything (as of right now) is getting the settings and such right, most people here have suggested faster weapon timers and a few buffed weapons (especially pistol) and some have even said that getting rid of slayer would be best and I agree with it (although you should have at least one slayer gametype for fans) but aside from that there isn't much they can do realistically.

Didn't Halo 4 have a decent launch though?

No it absolutely did not.

>No file share

>Theater didn't work

plus the game was shit but that's irrelevant

• Upvote (+1) 1

Halo 5 will not have a file browser at launch either. I'm 100% sure 

Can you explain for those of us who don't have the game yet?

Make the standard settings of the game across the board (excluding BTB) be the highest competitive merit they can be. Like I said, I'll observe week one and see what they did with their in-house pros and play-testing...I don't want to be a week one lab-rat ;)

343i has given more support for the competitive community than has ever been provided in Halo before, that being said the game itself at the end of the day will decide how well it fairs competitively, you couldn't make Minecraft into a competitive game no matter how much support you put into it, I think the same applies here (not saying Halo 5 is comparable to minecraft, just making a point)

If I had a million bucks to throw away and I said I'm gonna hold a minecraft tournament, doesn't matter the settings, people will come in droves.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Can you explain for those of us who don't have the game yet?

Just wait a few weeks lol. Same reason why 343 didn't jump in this thread and say "of

course forge is going to be in the game at launch" 

Just wait a few weeks lol. Same reason why 343 didn't jump in this thread and say "of

course forge is going to be in the game at launch" 

Yes, but to be fair, have they even confirmed that multiplayer is going to be in the game on release day? I think we have bigger worries.

• Downvote (-1) 2

It's all really preference. I like digital because it unlocks right at 12 AM EST and you don't have to drive anywhere to go ge

It was confirmed that it will unlock for everyone at 12EST correct? So where as I am Central time it will be playable for me at 11pm?

Yes, but to be fair, have they even confirmed that multiplayer is going to be in the game on release day? I think we have bigger worries.

yes. Just like campaign is confirmed to be there at launch day.

Like what? Forge and file browser not being in the game is a pretty big worry. I've played the MP to know it's going to be decent. It's just how 343 handles the aspects of MP, being ranks and playlists 

It was confirmed that it will unlock for everyone at 12EST correct? So where as I am Central time it will be playable for me at 11pm?

Correct

Make the standard settings of the game across the board (excluding BTB) be the highest competitive merit they can be. Like I said, I'll observe week one and see what they did with their in-house pros and play-testing...I don't want to be a week one lab-rat ;)

By whose standards though? Maybe they feel that Ar/magnum starts are the most balanced competitive option. Maybe some people agree with that and maybe some people don't. I don't think picking the settings is a huge part of supporting competitive play because not everyone will always agree on it.  I'm just trying to be the devils advocate here, and to get some real answers rather than  blanket statements/complaints. I'm just hoping and praying the game is playable at launch. If not, I guess ill be playing campaign all night.  :ghost:

yes. Just like campaign is confirmed to be there at launch day.

God, just another way 343 caters to the campaign casuals.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 4

Campaign casuals are worth more money than the <7000 people that play online every day. They wanna sell mega copies off the bat, im sure they dont care so much after that. They all probably laugh at that hilarious halo 4 graph with they cheers their expensive cognacs and wine-filled china. lmfao

• Upvote (+1) 1

It's all really preference. I like digital because it unlocks right at 12 AM EST and you don't have to drive anywhere to go get it. 

Ah. I see. As someone with a relatively small internet usage cap I think i'll stick to physical.

Besides, I rarely stay up past midnight on weekdays so I won't be playing it the first night either way.

That you will break it within a month. Afterwards the MCC will finally die and you'll be left to give it another go thus having to fund 343 once again.

I've literally never broken a game before.

No it absolutely did not.

>No file share

>Theater didn't work

plus the game was shit but that's irrelevant

Those are missing features. The game itself worked well.

MCC is a true disaster of a launch.

Bro the playlist selection was trash (grifball and extraction not even being there for months for example) file sharing didn't work for a long ass time, and the games population dropped by about 50% two weeks after launch (this was mainly due to COD but that's still pretty awful) so don't pretend as though the launch was a success, it wasn't anywhere near MCC but still it was far from ideal.

It wouldn't have even been too large of an issue if it weren't for the snail pace post launch support that 343i had given it, it took them 6 months to balance the sandbox, like my god man, there's a difference between being cautious and being slow.

I speak from a purely technical standpoint. Things like "playlists being trash" and post launch support are entirely different, one of which is entirely subjective. Tech-wise, Halo 4 out of the box performed much like any other Halo. My only issue was the aforementioned File Share and the few quickly solved bugs encountered.

Past that, the sandbox was far from balanced when the June 2013 update rolled out. I wouldn't call making the BR the God weapon "balancing". But that's a really personal gripe. (I'm still angry about that decision to this day. .-.)

I speak from a purely technical standpoint. Things like "playlists being trash" and post launch support are entirely different, one of which is entirely subjective. Tech-wise, Halo 4 out of the box performed much like any other Halo. My only issue was the aforementioned File Share and the few quickly solved bugs encountered.

Past that, the sandbox was far from balanced when the June 2013 update rolled out. I wouldn't call making the BR the God weapon "balancing". But that's a really personal gripe. (I'm still angry about that decision to this day. .-.)

the BR was decided as the competitive starting weapon in Halo 4, so I think a lot of people just went with the mindset that if we're gonna be stuck with the BR it might as well be useful, so the decision to buff the BR was good at the time.

Halo 4's overall sandbox was ok in terms of balancing, what they really screwed up on was the loadout weapons (which is ironic) and after the turbo update the loadout weapons were far better in terms of balancing, halo 5 seems to even be better and I would assume that tweaks and adjustments to the sandbox will be done much faster this time around.