CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

If you really want to make sprint work:

- Fast base movement, less sprint bonus speed

- Shields dont recharge during sprint and only start charging after you have stopped sprinting + the regular recharge delay is over

- The higher shields are the faster you sprint (no shields = not even 5% boost)

- getting shot while sprinting knocks you out of sprint, you cannot start sprinting for 2-3s

- Cannot sprint off spawn, 3-5s delay (this is huge for ctf ball bomb etc)

...Add whatever I forgot

If you really want to make sprint work:

- Fast base movement, less sprint bonus speed

- Shields dont recharge during sprint and only start charging after you have stopped sprinting + the regular recharge delay is over

- The higher shields are the faster you sprint (no shields = not even 5% boost)

- getting shot while sprinting knocks you out of sprint, you cannot start sprinting for 2-3s

- Cannot sprint off spawn, 3-5s delay (this is huge for ctf ball bomb etc)

...Add whatever I forgot

At that point you're left with a near-useless button.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Forgive me for not realizing this sooner, but I didn't realize 343 brought back the shots fired and hit % from Halo 2, and wasn't sure how many others realized it too.

TXFv3gp.png?1

• Upvote (+1) 3

IMO game just needs a few fixes.

- SMG slightly longer to kill

- Ground Pound must charge for full duration (Greenskulls vid shows the full duration, but you actually can release the charge early, sort of like the Railgun)

- No Sprint would help obviously but since it can't be done maybe increase base movement speed slightly.

-Remove hitmarker sounds for Automatics

- Make the changes I've discussed above regarding Weapon Drop announcements.

- Charge should have a longer distance, it's an offensive ability that needs a buff

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

One of the things I'm most disappointed with in Halo 5 is the clamber ability (wall climbing). It's hand-holding at its best.

If anyone has a tough time understanding why clamber will reduce Halo's skill-gap, then think of it this way: in previous Halo games if you miss a jump because you didn't time it or crouch properly, then you miss it. End of story. In Halo 5 if you miss a jump for the same reasons, then you simply press a button on the controller and the game makes up for your mistake.

It's literally reducing the trick jump skill-gap to the amount of effort it takes to press a button. That's it.

Even Frankie said at Halofest that clamber lets you "make the jump the way you felt like you should have made it". Even his wording demonstrates that 343 actually see hand-holding as a GOOD thing.

The most annoying thing is that people who are in their honeymoon phases with Halo 5 right now, including pro players, are trying to claim that it will somehow increase the skill-gap. I've heard people say: "oh you can mess up the clamber if you don't time the button press properly, therefore you can be good or bad at it, and therefore it increases Halo's skill-gap". Don't fall for this kind of fallacy.

What it comes down to is which is easier to mess up, hitting the button at the right time with clamber, or making the jump in the first place?

Clamber is a get-out-of-jail-free card for those people who mess their jumps up. Didn't jump properly? Don't worry, just press A and we'll do the rest for you! It's an absolute joke.
I'm happy for ground-pound to be in the game if they make it very difficult to pull off. It looks silly and isn't innovative at all, but at least it could be done in a way which maintains Halo's skill-gap. But there's no excuse for clamber.

• Upvote (+1) 8

The higher your shields are the faster you sprint. Boom.

(This idea had about 5 seconds of thought)

Wow, I actually haven't heard this one before. Not bad!

The higher your shields are the faster you sprint. Boom.

(This idea had about 5 seconds of thought)

Then you'd be tying shields with sprint, which means that sprinting would decrease your shields.  It would be interesting to see a game where people play when sprinting is tied to their shields in this scenario.

This is literally absolutely embarrassing. How do you have how this knowledge (which trust me 343i does) at your fingertips, and neglect to realize that the consumer isn't the problem. ITS YOUR OWN DUMB*** IDEA'S AND "CREATIVITY" which, is NOT creative. Considering a lot of their "creativeness" stems from other game's ideas and features.

100% Fed up with 343i and this horsecrap launch, and the looks at H5. This is embarrassing. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

The only thing that I can say with 100% certainty is that the ranking system sounds great. I wish stuff like that came about when I had more time to game.

I never liked the concept of seasons though I'd rather keep my rank and just move upward but whatever

• Upvote (+1) 1

This is literally absolutely embarrassing. How do you have how this knowledge (which trust me 343i does) at your fingertips, and neglect to realize that the consumer isn't the problem. ITS YOUR OWN DUMB*** IDEA'S AND "CREATIVITY" which, is NOT creative. Considering a lot of their "creativeness" stems from other game's ideas and features.

100% Fed up with 343i and this horsecrap launch, and the looks at H5. This is embarrassing. 

Did that letter come from the Beyond forums? I wasn't here when that was made. I've been thinking that once the beta is out there and people really have their hands on the game, we should all come up with a second letter for them.

Did that letter come from the Beyond forums? I wasn't here when that was made. I've been thinking that once the beta is out there and people really have their hands on the game, we should all come up with a second letter for them.

I'm honestly not 100% on who sent them this letter. I'd think so.. the only thing they took from it, was no flinch and descope. the rest is just pure negligence on their part. I'm not upset with the gameplay of H5, or of MCC. I'm embarrassed that they disregarded our feedback 

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'm honestly not 100% on who sent them this letter. I'd think so.. the only thing they took from it, was no flinch and descope. the rest is just pure negligence on their part. I'm not upset with the gameplay of H5, or of MCC. I'm embarrassed that they disregarded our feedback 

How has 343i disregarded the fanbase's feedback? Besides keeping sprint, all I've seen is that H5 is going back to the roots of Halo.

-No Loadouts

-No Armor Abilities

-Fair Starts

-No Flinch

-Descope

-Power weapons on map only

- Skill based ranking

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

How has 343i disregarded the fanbase's feedback? Besides keeping sprint, all I've seen is that H5 is going back to the roots of Halo.

-No Loadouts

-No Armor Abilities

-Fair Starts

-No Flinch

-Descope

-Power weapons on map only

- Skill based ranking

The way I see it, they've listened to half our feedback and disregarded the rest.

People have been asking that Halo maintain Halo's identity as we move forward into the future, and especially with regards to not copying off things that CoD is known for.

We've definitely received things that go against that. For instance, the Spartan chit-chat is not something that fans were ever asking for, nor is it something that Halo needs. The reason it was added is because it will make the game more familiar to the CoD crowd. This goes directly against what fans have been asking for.

Same with fake ADS. How many people have been asking for a fake form of ADS? It just hasn't happened in any significant way, if at all. Yet we all know the only reason they've added it in there is to please the CoD crowd and hopefully pull them into Halo. Again, this goes directly against what fans have really been asking for.

So even though they've done many things which demonstrate they've been listening, they've also done many things which demonstrate that they haven't been listening. They are still in a situation where they're obviously trying to please Halo fans AND non-Halo fans.

• Upvote (+1) 3

The way I see it, they've listened to half our feedback and disregarded the rest.

People have been asking that Halo maintain Halo's identity as we move forward into the future, and especially with regards to not copying off things that CoD is known for.

We've definitely received things that go against that. For instance, the Spartan chit-chat is not something that fans were ever asking for, nor is it something that Halo needs. The reason it was added is because it will make the game more familiar to the CoD crowd. This goes directly against what fans have been asking for.

Same with fake ADS. How many people have been asking for a fake form of ADS? It just hasn't happened in any significant way, if at all. Yet we all know the only reason they've added it in there is to please the CoD crowd and hopefully pull them into Halo. Again, this goes directly against what fans have really been asking for.

So even though they've done many things which demonstrate they've been listening, they've also done many things which demonstrate that they haven't been listening. They are still in a situation where they're obviously trying to please Halo fans AND non-Halo fans.

So it's not enough that a developer does what the fans want, they also can't do what the fans don't say they want?

So it's not enough that a developer does what the fans want, they also can't do what the fans don't say they want?

Wouldn't that  be totally counter-productive ?

If fans ask for no sprint, and there is going to be sprint, would that drive away more players from Halo than those it's going to attract to the game ? 

If fans never wanted ADS( the mechanic or the visual element of it because we had a perfectly fine scope) and they add it just because "evolution" , would that drive away more players from Halo than those it's going to attract to the game ? 

Reason #1 Most successful products  keep thriving in this hard industry of games/media/technology(considering I also work on this industry) : They satisfy their primary(core) customer demands while adding things that wont ruin the core experience of the product being exposed. That wont drive away current(and loyal) customers and chances are that "word of mouth" of those pleased customers will reach others and they will also join, it's mostly how this works in this era.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Wouldn't that  be totally counter-productive ?

If fans ask for no sprint, and there is going to be sprint, would that drive away more players from Halo than those it's going to attract to the game ? 

If fans never wanted ADS( the mechanic or the visual element of it because we had a perfectly fine scope) and they add it just because "evolution" , would that drive away more players from Halo than those it's going to attract to the game ? 

Reason #1 Most successful products  keep thriving in this hard industry of games/media/technology(considering I also work on this industry) : They satisfy their primary(core) customer demands while adding things that wont ruin the core experience of the product being exposed. That wont drive away current(and loyal) customers and chances are that "word of mouth" of those pleased customers will reach others and they will also join, it's mostly how this works in this era.

But how is the ADS animation ruining your experience? It works the exact same way as just scoping in.

• Downvote (-1) 1

Not when that stuff goes against the values which the fans have clearly demonstrated they have.

For example, no one has specifically asked that an invincibility perk NOT be put in Halo 5 (or any other Halo game), but 343 would still be going against the fans if they did such a thing, because fans have clearly expressed a disliking for features which take away from Halo's skill-gap and reduce the depth of the game.

• Upvote (+1) 1

But how is the ADS animation ruining your experience? It works the exact same way as just scoping in.

I can't speak for anyone else but I can speak for myself.

I personally care very much for Halo's unique visual identity as well as its gameplay identity. And up until this point I had always assumed that other Halo fans cared about Halo looking like Halo, but now I've realized I was wrong.

Most people now seem to be expressing that they literally don't care how Halo looks, or what skin it has, as long as the gameplay is the same.

When something that Halo is very much known for is taken away from Halo, be it gameplay or visual, then I feel less like I'm experiencing the magic of Halo. It's as simple as that.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Not when that stuff goes against the values which the fans have clearly demonstrated they have.

For example, no one has specifically asked that an invincibility perk NOT be put in Halo 5 (or any other Halo game), but 343 would still be going against the fans if they did such a thing, because fans have clearly expressed a disliking for features which take away from Halo's skill-gap and reduce the depth of the game.

I don't see the need to make up hypotheticals because if I correctly, active camo was an armor ability in H4, and it has been removed..

This game is already much better than Reach and 4. I recommend you to just wait for the beta before you keep judging this game.

I can't speak for anyone else but I can speak for myself.

I personally care very much for Halo's unique visual identity as well as its gameplay identity. And up until this point I had always assumed that other Halo fans cared about Halo looking like Halo, but now I've realized I was wrong.

Most people now seem to be expressing that they literally don't care how Halo looks, or what skin it has, as long as the gameplay is the same.

When something that Halo is very much known for is taken away from Halo, be it gameplay or visual, then I feel less like I'm experiencing the magic of Halo. It's as simple as that.

Oh, I care how Halo looks, but I just don't care about the whole smart scoping deal.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't see the need to make up hypotheticals because if I correctly, active camo was an armor ability in H4, and it has been removed..

This game is already much better than Reach and 4. I recommend you to just wait for the beta before you keep judging this game.

I genuinely don't know what you mean by that, or how it relates to what I said. Also, the game is worse than Halo 4 in some ways and better in other ways. I don't have to pretend to be happy with the entire game just because it does certain things better than Halo 4.

Oh, I care how Halo looks, but I just don't care about the whole smart scoping deal.

Well then you shouldn't have a tough time understanding why someone else might dislike smart-scoping. Your original post seemed to suggest that if it functions the same, then you can't understand what else there is to possibly dislike.

• Upvote (+1) 1