CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

"Sprint is finally balanced guys!"

Ha yeah, being able to run a mile is great for halo. It's great to sprint laps around the thoughtless, close-quarted maps, being able to sprint jump across a gap and ledge-grabbing like fucking batman, it's great to be able to finally perform a charge attack, and at least shields don't charge while you're sprinting! As if the point of sprinting away wasn't to break line of sight so you actually can recover.

Sprint just doesn't fucking work. I really hope MCC can be salvaged, as Halo's fate is confirmed with Halo 5. I prefer the future to lie in the past in context of Halo, and not worry about the impending nonsense that is Halo 5 and Halo 6.

I have never understood how everyone keeps saying the delay in charging shields nerfs sprint. The problem with sprinting has always been that it gets you out of sight of your opponent so you can safely recharge your shields in a corner. 

• Upvote (+1) 5

I never understood how that handicap picture is bad.

Do you understand how their attempts to make halo more accessible and help new players find success were bad?

Do you understand how their attempts to make halo more accessible and help new players find success were bad?

Yes 343i attempts were bad.

They are ways to execute everything on that "wheelchair" picture without drifting away from what made Halo "Halo"

Not disagreeing or anything - their attempts to do those things were definitely bad - but it should be pointed out that making Halo accessible and helping new players find success aren't bad things. You just need a good ranking system and a set of game mechanics that make the game as addictive as possible at the lower levels while not harming the skill gap. CSGO does it best.

It's really just the wheelchair that gets me.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Watched the RUL video.

More medals... Soon you'll be getting a medal for just joining a game.

I can see the power weapon notification getting super annoying when not playing with friends. You saw his teammate and him just standing at the sniper spawn waiting for it. Now imagine all your teammates plus the enemy just going for it. It was there for H4 as well, but there wasn't any countdown letting you know it was about to spawn unless you had that perk on so it wasn't as bad.   

• Upvote (+1) 1

ADS - Not really, works exactly the same as before, no hip-fire limitation, no zoom-in benefits other than the zoom itself, and according to Flamesword it creates a less jarring descope experience and doesn't feel any different, even Gandhi has no problem with this.

Less aim assist and magnetism, with harder shooting mechanics comes a greater skill gap.

Sprint - lets just face it, modern games with no sprint feel slow, the hardcore competitive community may not like it, but any other player finds it necessary, that's why in Halo you should be punished for using it too much, not been able to shoot and shields not recharging. Why do some people sprint? because they are bad at shooting and have no shields, sprint in H5 and you can't shoot and stay without shields. Again there should be no sprint, but releasing a game that the casuals, the majority of the population, find slow and outdated is no good.

Clamber - as stated by Quinn on and interview (http://goo.gl/7Zcjry) there is still crouch jumping, so players incapable of this jumps only become vulnerable for the duration of the animation instead of shooting immediately.

Thruster - there is a cool down timer, preventing spam, but the distance traveled needs to be reduce, and with crouch jumping and clamber there could be to easy to just fly away and hide.

Ground pound - the affected  area should be small, and its a one shot kill if hit directly, its not instant there is a charging period in which you are floating mid-air, vulnerable and there is an audio effect that lets people know you are charging it.

Slide and Charge are too situation specific to be of much help, and the charge is lethal just from behind.

The spartan chatter should be active only for the players with no mic, so only that spartan tells the rest of the team what he is doing.

I have never understood how everyone keeps saying the delay in charging shields nerfs sprint. The problem with sprinting has always been that it gets you out of sight of your opponent so you can safely recharge your shields in a corner. 

Not only will your shields not charge while Sprinting (you can be called out for an easy clean up), but there will be a 4 second delay when you are sitting in that corner because of how Sprint resets the shield timer.

Not disagreeing or anything - their attempts to do those things were definitely bad - but it should be pointed out that making Halo accessible and helping new players find success aren't bad things. You just need a good ranking system and a set of game mechanics that make the game as addictive as possible at the lower levels while not harming the skill gap. CSGO does it best.

It's really just the wheelchair that gets me.

343 just isnt trustworthy to not go overkill on dumbing down the game. I think the breaking down the map videos on halo channel are a great way to make the game accessible. But announcing every detail about when where and who got the sniper is terrible. Give them the tools to do it themselves don't hold their hand.

• Upvote (+1) 5

The extra time it takes for your shields to recharge is only going to slow the game more

Maybe for the CoD players. From the sounds and looks of it; good players should almost never sprint. I mean the base movement speed is good enough.

New gameplay from Ready Up live

The hitmarker sound is really annoying, there's visual markers, why add a beeping sound?

@1.22 he fucks up his jump thing and clamber-leaps up the wall to safety.

I mean, I didn't even think 343 could completely ruin skill jumping. It was kind of ruined by the crappy jump height in Reach, but this is just ridiculous. It's like they are purposefully trying to make it so you don't have to learn anything to play. What's the point?

• Upvote (+1) 7

One thing I don't get is how they did the halo 4 global championship which was meant to be very competitive where they remove all AAs and chose to go with sprint without something like the thruster pack. Then they claim that halo 5 was based on competitive play and they go with sprint plus thruster. Wtf?!

It's like they are purposefully trying to make it so you don't have to learn anything to play. What's the point?

Sure, you could not learn the 73 (sarcasm) new things added to the game, but yeah it could diminish skill jumps

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think that some of the movement abilities, like the thruster pack, are just fine - but wow, the whole thing really does reek of AW.

and AW sure reeks of Titanfall

and Titanfall reeks of Reach and H4

@1.22 he fucks up his jump thing and clamber-leaps up the wall to safety.

I mean, I didn't even think 343 could completely ruin skill jumping. It was kind of ruined by the crappy jump height in Reach, but this is just ridiculous. It's like they are purposefully trying to make it so you don't have to learn anything to play. What's the point?

You're implying that a thruster pack and a clamber combo doesn't take any learning. I'm pretty sure 343 designed maps based on the new clamber mechanic.

Halo 5 is starting to grow on me......maybe it's just wishful thinking.....but i have a feeling

Yeah, seeing as how sprint is almost useless, "ADS" being aesthetic, and shooting being harder seems like it might be a pretty decent game.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yeah, seeing as how sprint is almost useless, "ADS" being aesthetic, and shooting being harder seems like it might be a pretty decent game.

Well think about it. It's not that they're not catering to us Halo fans. Their mindset going into this is making the game competitive. 

I know a lot of people are going to have a problem with the game calling out weapon spawns and stuff, and thats understandable.

BUT this isn't a case of Halo 4 where it's just a waypoint. It's going to send teams out too control the area. Casual or competitive. 

You know what it seems like? Seems like what 343 is going to do with H5 is have a very very sneaky way to get player competitively involved. Think about it!

They're telling new players, hey look, we'll count down the spawn times for you in H5 so you can fight for weapons. Casuals will get use to this. 

This will make casuals understand how Halo works like they've never known before. We don't need this stuff, we already know it. What they're doing is education to people who don't know. 

idk. The way they're building this game has me split. Yes, not having countdowns are better, yes I prefer no sprint, but.....what they're doing is getting players use to playing like us, as as casual players, they won't even know they're learning and will adapt to the environment. That is kind of a big deal in my opinion.....idk we'll have to wait and see.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Sure, you could not learn the 73 (sarcasm) new things added to the game, but yeah it could diminish skill jumps

I get what you're saying buddy, but IMO the new mechanics are like the new mechanics in Reach/4. They didn't exactly have a huge learning curve.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Anyone know why I can't play MCC? I have been waiting for hours to play but it just won't put me into games. .

It's really frustrating.

I am also experiencing some pretty bizarre things in campaign too.

Thanks.

There's about 100+ pages of painful enlightenment right here bud

http://teambeyond.net/forum/index.php?/topic/4946-halo-the-master-chief-collection-discussion/page-943

• Upvote (+1) 1

I get what you're saying buddy, but IMO the new mechanics are like the new mechanics in Reach/4. They didn't exactly have a huge learning curve.

with clamber and thrusters maybe, but with all the other abilities people need to learn when to use them, plus the harder shooting I see a bigger learning curve