CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

None of the Spartan Abilities are Over-powered. The main issue of Sprint is gone.

It will have loads of small arena maps, the gameplay looks faster, looks smooth as butter. Its different enough to be a brand new game while still looking like halo.

What's the problem? Does everyone just expect 343 to release h2 again and again all the way to halo 6 changing nothing but the maps..

Lol this "copy h1/2" and "afraid of change" fallacy is brought up every time people try to make the halo games better

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Things That Need Toggles

Announcer. You should be able to choose which information you want. Same with visuals on screen.

Smart Scope vs. Zoom. Give us option, since they're the same mechanic.

Spartan Abilities: Give us custom button mapping, or the option to remove certain abilities from our controller. Like the way it is with Hover/stabilizers right now.

Any other toggles you can think of? 

• Upvote (+1) 8
  • Downvote (-1) 1

You'd pick ADS over normal scoping if given the choice? Seems odd to sacrifice a large part of your screen cause it "looks amazing".

Is that sourced somewhere that they want to make smgs/ARs the main starting weapon? Starting with spray and prays seems like not the best option given that utility weapon starts are almost universally considered more fun

I'd be willing to test it both ways. sacrificing a portion of your screen to zoom in seems reasonable to me.

I am putting 1&1 together to make 2. Quin clearly stated on twitter that he wanted to end settings debates like DMR vs BR.

My guess is the starting weapon will be hard set into map and gametypes combos.

H5 looks to be fundamentally different from other Halos and I'm fine with that because I can play CE online now if it sucks so I would rather them try some different things.

Things That Need Toggles

Announcer. You should be able to choose which information you want. Same with visuals on screen.

Spartan Abilities: Give us custom button mapping, or the option to remove certain abilities from our controller. Like the way it is with Hover/stabilizers right now.

I would make sprint and climbing both into new map properties so that regardless of game type these abilities would be disabled or enabled on a map to map basis. This would allow small maps to be created (forged even) where sprint cannot usurp the design. Same with climbing.

Ads should be personal setup preference. Each player should be able to choose classic scope v ads where it only impacts their experience and nothing else.

How about we discuss something they are doing right:

The Ranking System. GG 343 and Menke. WP. No Re.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Things That Need Toggles

Completely agree. If ADS is completely cosmetic like they say then a toggle ends debate. Zoom for greybeards, ADS for addy kids. Everyone wins.

Button mapping. Come on devs its 2014 we should be able to map controls to whatever we want.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Heard that the top 200 players will be in the "Pro" division. I think it should be lowered to 100

How about we discuss something they are doing right:

The Ranking System. GG 343 and Menke. WP. No Re.

Heard the top 200 players will be in the "pro" division. Source was HaloFollower though....anybody else have info on this so I can be sure this is true because, well.....it's HaloFollower

And if it is true, I think that's a little much, but I also don't think semi-pro should be that crowded.

Top 150 for pro, 151-250 for semi >>>>>

and the reason why I have so many in semi is that this will give this huge amount of skilled players the drive to do better to get that pro status. AKA growing players who will attend the HCS and to try online.

Guys, they can't even release a playable game from 10 years ago. You actually think they are going to have the ability to toggle features? lol

All of these changes, good or bad, will be determined by the Halo population a month after Halo 5 releases. No Halo game has maintained a steady population of 400K+ for months after release since Halo 3. Every release since has failed to sustain a population. I predict it to fail miserably, just as the Reach and Halo 4 experiments failed miserably. Sure 343 cashes in, the longevity of the Halo brand suffers in the long run.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Heard the top 200 players will be in the "pro" division. Source was HaloFollower though....anybody else have info on this so I can be sure this is true because, well.....it's HaloFollower

Top 200 confirmed by Josh Holmes and Josh Menke so far.

And I think 200 is fine assuming HCS eventually expands beyond America and gives other regions an opportunity to raise their skill ceilings. 200 pro players worldwide seems reasonable to me.

Top 200 confirmed by Josh Holmes and Josh Menke so far.

And I think 200 is fine assuming HCS eventually expands beyond America and gives other regions an opportunity to raise their skill ceilings. 200 pro players worldwide seems reasonable to me.

I still think 1-150 pro and 151-250 semi is better. Gives the semi players drive to become better, making the competition intense and matches will actually matter.

EDIT: and just think.....we have spectator mode now.....holy shit the possibilities....

Heard that the top 200 players will be in the "Pro" division. I think it should be lowered to 100

And if it is true, I think that's a little much, but I also don't think semi-pro should be that crowded.

and the reason why I have so many in semi is that this will give this huge amount of skilled players the drive to do better to get that pro status. AKA growing players who will attend the HCS and to try online.

Go to the home page you can read all about the ranking system there

As you can see, h5 is going to fail. A square is just not structural sound. Weight is not evenly distributed so it collapses under pressure. Just like h5's population 6 months after release.

Edit: Picture not to scale

rF4aytC.png

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 2

The biggest obstacle Halo Five has is Microsofts control pad it precludes any evolution of competitive Halo, ever since Halo reach..every new skill that evolved, involved the regression of another,(think jump and jet pack) what I am saying is the pad needs more "on fly" buttons. Halo needs a purpose built fps pad something like the scuff, or halo will continue to be ignored by its own competitive community, "bumper jumper" is hard to let go of, every way you cut it you take nuance away from a skill that people have invested in, 343 could add as much functionality as they want but as with Reach and Halo 4 its not going to to work without a new pad, pros will again refuse to accept the regression of jump to an "off stick" button but they would accept more "on fly" buttons. Without a "Pro pad" Halo 5 will not be popular with the competitive,I have seen the pad set-up for the halo 5 Beta and its just a different flavour of slap in the face for the competitive community, if 343 want the Spartans to do more Microsoft should build the pads, add more buttons to the pad ! How many more iterations do 343 need to work this out. The answer is, none they have thought of it but they are just going to ignore it and continue to try to evolve Halo on a pad that is Maxed out. When I think of all that money microsoft wasted on Kinnect and how cheap it be to build a pro pad", man

The biggest obstacle Halo Five has is Microsofts control pad it precludes any evolution of competitive Halo, ever since Halo reach..every new skill that evolved, involved the regression of another,(think jump and jet pack) what I am saying is the pad needs more "on fly" buttons. Halo needs a purpose built fps pad something like the scuff, or halo will continue to be ignored by its own competitive community, "bumper jumper" is hard to let go of, every way you cut it you take nuance away from a skill that people have invested in, 343 could add as much functionality as they want but as with Reach and Halo 4 its not going to to work without a new pad, pros will again refuse to accept the regression of jump to an "off stick" button but they would accept more "on fly" buttons. Without a "Pro pad" Halo 5 will not be popular with the competitive,I have seen the pad set-up for the halo 5 Beta and its just a different flavour of slap in the face for the competitive community, if 343 want the Spartans to do more Microsoft should build the pads, add more buttons to the pad ! How many more iterations do 343 need to work this out. The answer is, none they have thought of it but they are just going to ignore it and continue to try to evolve Halo on a pad that is Maxed out. When I think of all that money microsoft wasted on Kinnect and how cheap it be to build a pro pad", man

Something I hadn't considered... but that's definitely NOT why Reach & 4 failed competitively.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Sure, this is what the game needs

c6747eaa392c4d18c64747570bb166af.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 5

I have a question for people here. 

What if we took all of the good things we are seeing in Halo 5 Guardians

faster base movement speed

lower aim assist

lower bullet magnetism

E-Sports focus

spectator mode

ranking system

and more if i forgot things

We take all that and apply it to Halo 2A, which seem more like Halo to you?

Now i know that some will say that Halo needs to evolve to stay alive, but i think the direction that Halo has evolved is just not as popular as it was before. 

I don't know how they are going to implement the spectator mode but i can think of some things that might be good, now i don't know how feasible this but what if we were able to place a stationary spectator cams in forge,so you can have say a map overview, red base, power-up, power weapon cams, just a thought.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Something I hadn't considered... but that's definitely NOT why Reach & 4 failed competitively.

no mate that's the most common reason, even if its not talked about, the reason why change was allowed in Halo 3 and why every change since has been a failure. People don't like loosing shoulder control, of jump shoot melee and nade, Reach and four both took that away, you cant blame bloom, for Halo 4's failure and you cant point to custom loadouts for reachs failure. But, what was present in both cases was a compromised jump mechanic in favour of an ability, bumper jumper is no longer as an attractive an option since Reach.

• Downvote (-1) 3

what was that for? those are not on fly buttons you moron, read the post.

dude it was a joke, you said more buttons and new controller, calm down

What exactly do you mean about a Pro Pad? Like mapable buttons and extra clickers/buttons on the back to lessen the right stick to face buttons movement? Are those scuf controllers banned in live tournament play?

Regression for all to A for jump would be glorious, all those bumper tears would be delicious.

We should just have custom controller settings by now.

no mate that's the most common reason, even if its not talked about, the reason why change was allowed in Halo 3 and why every change since has been a failure. People don't like loosing shoulder control, of jump shoot melee and nade, Reach and four both took that away, you cant blame bloom, for Halo 4's failure and you cant point to custom loadouts for reachs failure. But, what was present in both cases was a compromised jump mechanic in favour of an ability, bumper jumper is no longer as an attractive an option since Reach.

You have opened my eyes. Buttons. Buttons were the problem with Halo 4/Reach.*

*I know this is the internet but I hope my sarcasm leaps off the screen and punches you in the face.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I hate that dude Chris. He never gives credit to his sources.

There's an article written on this website

http://teambeyond.net/halo-5-ranks-breakdown/