CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Also am i the only one that thinks that the mantling feature is literally going to kill the Halo jumping community?

It depends on whether the clamber is programmed for certain ledges, or whether it is a core mechanic, applied to all.

If it applies to everything it might actually benefit jumpers, getting out of maps and such.

Is that Porky Pig doing the commentary?

Getting major Adrift vibes off that city map.

More like Skyline and Landfall had an overweight lovechild.

Man these "you guys just don't like change" posts are so tiring. Its so simple and closed minded.

If you wanna defend a change to the game then defend the change.

wut.  I think he said more of the line of wait to play the beta and then we can start judging the changes that were made and see what works, what doesn't work and what needs to be tweaked.  I have no idea how you get the "you guys just don't like change" from that.  No one can defend a change SINCE NO ONE HAS PLAYED IT other than the invited people.

so with the ranks, your points are based off of win/lose or performance... or both?

I really hope it's just win/lose honestly.

It's definitely win/lose.

• Upvote (+1) 1

so with the ranks, your points are based off of win/lose or performance... or both?

I really hope it's just win/lose honestly.

Win loss

• Upvote (+1) 1

Realest pro in the game. Mikwen, Lxthul and Gandhi are nothing but MS shills #RCNation

Not saying he's wrong.

• Upvote (+1) 7

For once in my life I'm going to not view these changes as initially bad and wait until I play the game enough to judge Halo 5: Guardians. I've been playing Halo for a long time and as much as I hate to contradict previous opinion we need to go into this with an open mind. Classic Halo is getting very static and repetitive, in fact a lot of first person shooters are. It's not so much the fact that we need to copy mechanics, gimmicks or functions from other franchises but evolve the scene the right way as it always has done. Developers these days focus more on trends than new unique game experiences to make their game more appealing and because of that it simply doesn't work out for them. A step in the right direction is making a well playing, balanced game that everyone enjoys. That shouldn't be limited to a large spectrum of game defining mechanics. 

Randomness and generic experiences is what made Halo 4 flop, this doesn't look generic at all. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

sudd 2 is a pro? HAHAHA

He's reached Semi-Pro I think, he was always a pretty based dude. Just another player wanting to prove himself, but he does call the waahhbulance too often.

Realest pro in the game. Mikwen, Lxthul and Gandhi are nothing but MS shills #RCNation

Not saying he's wrong.

Funny part is that Suddoth 2 has been playing nothing but Destiny.

The only problem with nerfing/balancing sprint, is that people won't use it as much, and the maps will be too big. Seems we'd have to somehow make sprint an offensive tool... any ideas? 

Two pages late on this one, but the charge ability is a step in the right direction. It needs something more.

sudd 2 is a pro? HAHAHA

Better watch your fucking back, else you're gonna get ground pounded #RCNation

wut. I think he said more of the line of wait to play the beta and then we can start judging the changes that were made and see what works, what doesn't work and what needs to be tweaked. I have no idea how you get the "you guys just don't like change" from that. No one can defend a change SINCE NO ONE HAS PLAYED IT other than the invited people.

First part of his post said H5 could be the best halo and guys on here would still hate it for not being classic. That pretty directly says people just don't like change. Wasn't that difficult to understand.

Funny part is that Suddoth 2 has been playing nothing but Destiny.

That doesn't mean he's wrong for not wanting Halo to go down that road. And I'm not saying Halo is becoming Destiny by the way, I'm just saying that if he views it that way, he's still allowed to dislike that direction for Halo.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Also, the "Spartan Chatter" needs to go. I'm sorry, but even if it's a toggle, it still is ridiculous. Anything that discourages people talking is bad. I know a lot of people don't use mics these days in Halo, and that makes solo pub-stomping kind of a pain, but this is not the solution at all.

And the announcer needs to chill with the addy/cocain. I loved his voice in CE and even in H2. He was saying things more in a gruffy-but-sly way; more like, "yeaaah, look at that double kill... seexxxxy." rather than this "ZOMFG!! A DOUBLE KILL!!! EVERYONE SHIT KITTENS!!!" And just the way he emphasizes things now is terrible: now it's "DOUUUBLE kill" rather than the classic way of not emphasizing either word too much, and reading the statement as a whole. Nit picky, I know, but it's such a simple thing that could make a great deal of difference, along with not announcing every action anyone ever takes or explaining the game mode in detail prior to the match.

Beginning of a Slayer match should just be him saying, "Slayer" all mischievously gritty like, without hanging on the "S" for a full second like he does in Halo 4 for example. But that's it. Nothing more. CTF should be him saying, "Catpture the flag..." and that's it (again, with a calm, sly, gritty tone like in previous title). As it stands, he sounds like a caricature of himself, and they have him detailing the entire premise of a CTF match before it even begins. Leave that description in a box on-screen that comes up under the gametype title:

Simples.

This is what actually bothers me the most from the H5 reveal and other videos. The spartan chatters take away from voice communication (esp. on Xbox One where you can't lower game audio vs voice chat), and floods the audio for no apparent reason at all. Things that should shown via the HUD now need to be screamed by either the announcer or random chatter. Since when do spartans even talk that much? The dudes just kill stuff and talk after if needed.

Like in Elimination (Breakout?) the announcer feels like he has to do a live commentary regarding how the rounds are going, mentioning every single time someone dies, on top of doing a non-stop breakdown of multiple medals and style kills... it gets not a bit, but REALLY over the top. I'm not one to freak out about small details, but this is just too much. It's especially redundant because all this information is shown on screen via the kill feed, medal feed, scoreboard, and a small text over the scoreboard... if people can't figure it out from all these cues, then there's a good chance the information will serve them no purpose anyway. Get rid of the superfluous stuff.

I was also under the impression that guns now have a hitmarker ping (I can't 100% make a call on that, but it did sound like it with the AR) much like the PC version of CE does. The guns sound VERY powerful and amazing, but there's always this weird chime floating around. It's hard to say, once again, because the audio is flooded with pointless information that takes away from the core / meaningful ones.

I feel all these things are stuff that need to go. The announcer went from giving key but insightful information to doing a live commentary of the game and it's awful. The spartan chatter also assumes that people can't use their mics for shit and makes callouts when the average person can make them. It seems fine and dandy on paper, but the truth is, no one ever took these quick one-liners seriously in other games and it just sounds stupid and annoying. It's not hard at all to pay attention to what your teammates status is via their overhead icon / text and just from that, ambient sounds, and the kill feed, there's no reason not to know what's going on.

TL;DR - The pointless audio and commentary needs to go.

• Upvote (+1) 8

None of the Spartan Abilities are Over-powered. The main issue of Sprint is gone.

It will have loads of small arena maps, the gameplay looks faster, looks smooth as butter. Its different enough to be a brand new game while still looking like halo.

What's the problem? Does everyone just expect 343 to release h2 again and again all the way to halo 6 changing nothing but the maps..

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 4

From what I've seen H5 looks pretty amazing. The weapons look tight and skillful as does movement. Static weapon timers are a MASSIVE step in the right direction. Maps look small, fast, arena style. All weapons gething a scope function sounds great, especially considering they want to start us with ARs or SMGs. New game type sounds fun/competitive (if you add objective).

Bonus that doesn't matter, visually the game is incredibly appealing and immersive.

Lol at people getting worked up about "ADS". If I can shoot from the hip accurate and receive no movement restriction when scoped then "ADS" looks amazing and I'm all for it.

Overall, I reserve judgement till the beta, but what I've seen looks good and it looks like a game I wanna play.

• Upvote (+1) 9
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Does everyone just expect 343 to release h2 again and again all the way to halo 6 changing nothing but the maps..

yep. However things like speedboost, wacky custom options, and audio timers are welcomed
  • Upvote (+1) 1

From what I've seen H5 looks pretty amazing. The weapons look tight and skillful as does movement. Static weapon timers are a MASSIVE step in the right direction. Maps look small, fast, arena style. All weapons gething a scope function sounds great, especially considering they want to start us with ARs or SMGs. New game type sounds fun/competitive (if you add objective).

Bonus that doesn't matter, visually the game is incredibly appealing and immersive.

Lol at people getting worked up about "ADS". If I can shoot from the hip accurate and receive no movement restriction when scoped then "ADS" looks amazing and I'm all for it.

Overall, I reserve judgement till the beta, but what I've seen looks good and it looks like a game I wanna play.

You'd pick ADS over normal scoping if given the choice? Seems odd to sacrifice a large part of your screen cause it "looks amazing".

Is that sourced somewhere that they want to make smgs/ARs the main starting weapon? Starting with spray and prays seems like not the best option given that utility weapon starts are almost universally considered more fun

• Upvote (+1) 2

Lol

That was pretty good.

Does Frankie look like a cancer patient to anyone else? He is bald, looks cold and frail and is wearing a jacket indoors for some reason.

• Downvote (-1) 6