CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

could someone just confirm that LT zoom is not the only option please. thanks.

Lethul said it was RS as usual on Bumper Jumper.

• Upvote (+1) 2

More gameplay

Not gonna lie but this gameplay got me hyped

The base movement speed and the weapon switch time in this are pretty exciting to me.

Also, I kind of like the automatic weapons having scopes. As long as hitting headshots will always be faster than an automatic to kill and the autos aren't significantly more forgiving to aim with than the precision weapons there shouldn't be a problem with it since skilled players will continue to be able to outclass autos with headshots all the while maintaining a more viable sandbox and not making A±R starts a completely miserable experience.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Seriously, I cannot believe I haven't heard ONE piece of criticism or any meaningful feedback from the pro community yet, the players at the Invitational event have direct communication with 343 devs and should be doing what pro's are supposed to do in their position and suggest what they can do to improve/fix H5.

Are you telling me every Halo pro there liked the "Smart-scope"(aka ADS) on the BR and pistol after playing Halo for 10 years without that shit? Unlimited sprint....what suggestions are being made to further make that mechanic semi-okay in comp play? All through H4 EVERYONE downright hated sprint and now its suddenly ok? I just want to see someone in the pro community step up and offer 343 some useful feedback that can be used to better the game, I have no idea why every Halo release the pro community seems to turn into fan-boys when the devs ask for feed-back. Get someone like Zyos or someone who is not financially dependent on the success of H5 as a comp title to fly out there and explain the issues with it for competitive play.

Lethul said the pros that played it gave feedback already.

The only thing I really have a problem with is there is no need for Sprint AND the Thruster Pack, just pick one or the other imo. Obviously I'd prefer the Thruster pack, though I'm not really sure about ground pound and hover though. I have to play to see what I really think about them. I know I'm not going to like the sprint tackle thing, the sliding seems kinda cool but I'm also iffy on that. There better be a really small frame window where you can activate the get up on the ledge thing and have it actually work, I have a feeling there won't be though.

People seem to be against the "wait and see" mindset and I get that. But there are certain aspects of the game we can't really know about until we're actually playing the game. Yeah Sprint sucks and we all know that but for me there are just a few things I have to actually play around with before actually deciding on whether I hate them or not. Even if they do look stupid at first glance.

The only problem with nerfing/balancing sprint, is that people won't use it as much, and the maps will be too big. Seems we'd have to somehow make sprint an offensive tool... any ideas? 

• Upvote (+1) 1

The only problem with nerfing/balancing sprint, is that people won't use it as much, and the maps will be too big. Seems we'd have to somehow make sprint an offensive tool... any ideas? 

I would remove it altogether, and just make the base movement speed even faster. We could also make the strafe really responsive, like next to no slippery movement when making a turn. It's that simple.

Just cuz the maps are bigger doesn't mean we can't just make the players faster.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I think everyone here needs to realize that the "competitive" community is not the primary market or consumer of Halo.

We are lucky that we have a voice at all. 343 (and lets be honest, pretty much every other developer out there) is looking at the cashin that is release day. When H4 was released (the most sold Halo of all time) there was around 450-500k people playing at launch, and the competitive community makes up less than 10% of that.

I am with you, even with the small influence we have, it sucks to continually be steamrolled over and our voices not heard.

However, if everyone here would look at the bigger picture (sales #'s) 343 is forced to make a game that will garnish new players and hopefully lure in the multitude of COD style fanboys. If 343 can get 40-60k more 13 year olds to ask their parents for Halo for Christmas, then they consider it a success; as apposed to keeping a constant 15k happy who "dont want sprint."

Im as pissed as can be, trust me, and I will NOT be buying H5 at launch - but from a buisness standpoint, I understand why we get the short end of the stick, because we are the short end of the stick.

I honestly think that kind of mentality comes from years of just taking it as a halo fan, I get what you mean, and understand where you are coming from. However, I disagree with you.

Halo has been marketed to a more 'casual' audience ever since Reach in a blatant way. However, that didn't make those games actually popular with casuals. Seeing some scrub who hasn't played core halo in his life and doesn't get it saying that he loves armour lock (for example) is NOT representative of the casual community, just as seeing some angry guy rage and call casuals idiots on the waypoint forums is not representative of the competitive community.

Who are casuals? 343 wants to treat them like fickle idiots, who need distractions and fancy gimmicks to keep them coming back. It's insulting. The games they have specifically tailored to appeal to a casual audience have failed to keep any decent portion of the XBL player count. That counts as a failure to MS. They make fucktonnes of money from DLC, and a miniscule player base means miniscule DLC sales. Clearly 343 have realised this in their own foolish way, as they have tried to appear like they are targeting the competitive community again with H5. The problem is, they are STILL trying to snag a 'casual' audience, which by nature seems to shit on the competitive community.

Who are casuals? IMO, it's as simple as people that enjoy the core gameplay as much as competitive folk, but just don't have the free time or motivation to play to perfection. The very problem here is that people have bought into 343's horseshit and actually believe that there is a larger subset of players out there that like randomness and hand holding and everything else that is bad about halo nowadays. They are wrong, and need to definitely realise it.

Making games coddle you and make you feel better about sucking is only a recent development in gaming, just like releasing games unfinished and broken just because they can is only a recent development in gaming. Just because they get away with it to some extent does not make it right. Games used to sell just as much, and often more, back when they were difficult. I see it as part of a larger and misguided attempt by many forms of media (tv, news etc) to treat the consumer like an idiot. It's not actually based on what the people want. That's why I'm insisting that 343 are making these changes for themselves, and not just some secret and massive subsection of players that are strangely voiceless online and absent in the halo population count.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I can't be the only one who has noticed that the movement speed without Sprint is fairly fast and even when Sprinting, it isn't a huge advantage compared to Reach and Halo 4.

• Upvote (+1) 6

I can't be the only one who has noticed that the movement speed without Sprint is fairly fast and even when Sprinting, it isn't a huge advantage compared to Reach and Halo 4.

It certainly looks faster and more responsive but it's hard to know without playing the game.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Good lord that ranking system sounds god-tier. 343i got lucky snagging Josh Menke. 

Even if the game is mediocre at best, the ranking system is what is going to sustain the longevity of the game.

It's kinda refreshing to see 343i going all-in on the competitive front. It also helps to have a beta almost a year out from release as well.

If 'we' (as in the competitive community) play our cards right and provide the best possible feedback; Halo 5 could become one of the better console arena shooters we've seen in awhile.

• Upvote (+1) 5

wtf, so you can just climb shit instead of having to skill jump on to different ledges and things?

wtf, you can just hover in the air with the sniper and rocket launcher and just get kills with the smart scope?

wtf, the ar and smg are long range weapons now?

wtf, so no armor abilities but its fair because everyone has the same 20 abilities?

wtf, you can just straight up run laps around midship for days without stopping?

wtf is this shit.

Skill jumps are now designed with Clamber in mind, meaning you now have more movement options and choices, and the additional button press adds a slight skill gap increase. Missing that button press will be a detriment.

Stabilizers are probably still being tweaked, but in their current state you can personally toggle them off of Automatic if you want to aim and fall at a normal speed.

AR is mid range automatic, SMG is more close range.

7 Abilities, and Slide, Charge, and Smart Scope are very minor.

If you want your shields to be down the whole time, sure.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I'm sorry, but this looks like Reach.

1) Why do grenades have the same shitty fire trail? Seriously, Halo CE grenades were more realistic and looked better than the Reach, H4, H5 shit.

2) Why does each Spartan look like the effing Hunchback of Notre Dame? Same player models (or at least close) in Reach, H4, and H5. Again, no effort was put into this. They players look like effing cave trolls moving around the map. HCE, H2, and H3 player models looked so much better, and so much more realistic. 

3) Same shitty medal voice as in H4, H2A, and now H5. Does someone kick the announcer in the balls before every single game?

And these are just things that "look" awful. Not to mention the obvious that everyone else is stating (armor abilities and shit).

• Upvote (+1) 1

And these are just things that "look" awful. Not to mention the obvious that everyone else is stating (armor abilities and shit).

<_<

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

1sW8xxs.gif

When I first saw the H5 winning screen, I thought of these spartans as 343's reaction after the reveal. I had to make this.

Very-Cute-Asian-Baby-Laughing-Funny-Capt

• Upvote (+1) 2

Halo 5 could be the greatest game ever and people here would still write it off because it isn't Classic halo. All I ask is to be open minded when you play the beta. If it's bad, so be it.

• Upvote (+1) 10
  • Downvote (-1) 3

If this beta had no sprint, ground-pound was a mechanic that had to be earned somehow (charge over time or something) or was just removed as well, and the ADS was both a bit faster (the animation) and was removed for the AR and SMG, this game would be 100% sexy, I think. Honestly the thing that bugs me the most besides sprint, is the ADS, not because "zomg it's too much like Call of Duty or Destiny", but because again: it blocks your viewable area.

Example: using the "Smart Scope" with the BR whilst top-mid on "Midship" looking at top-blue now means you now cannot see bottom-blue, because your huge-ass BR is in the way of a great portion of the bottom of the screen. So if you're looking top-blue to catch a last BR shot on someone, and someone spawn bottom-blue and steps out, you have almost no chance of seeing that until it's too late. 343 might argue that that is a "balancing mechanic so that Smart Scoping constantly has a drawback", because I thought of that myself. I don't agree with it though when all is said and done; I'm not against it because it's "not classic Halo", I'm just against it because I don't think any core-gameplay mechanic should obstruct my view of the map that way. It's already limited due to the zoom (e.g. my periphery is lessened considerably), there doesn't need to be any more drawback to something that is a commonplace mechanic.

Aside from that and sprint, I think it looks really fun. I could even get used to the ADS if sped up a bit (which may not need to happen; I'll have to see what it's like when I play). Again, it's not "classic Halo", but we simply do not need that anymore. We have classic Halo again, and can play that whenever we want, have tournaments with it, etc. What we need now is a Halo that not only look fantastic, but has at least some new diversity in movement and engagements.

It's not as if Halo 5 is replacing all Halo games ever, either. A lot of the comments here seem to be made under the delusion that it somehow would.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I think everyone here needs to realize that the "competitive" community is not the primary market or consumer of Halo.

We are lucky that we have a voice at all.  343 (and lets be honest, pretty much every other developer out there) is looking at the cashin that is release day.  When H4 was released (the most sold Halo of all time) there was around 450-500k people playing at launch, and the competitive community makes up less than 10% of that. 

I am with you, even with the small influence we have, it sucks to continually be steamrolled over and our voices not heard.

However, if everyone here would look at the bigger picture (sales #'s) 343 is forced to make a game that will garnish new players and hopefully lure in the multitude of COD style fanboys.  If 343 can get 40-60k more 13 year olds to ask their parents for Halo for Christmas, then they consider it a success; as apposed to keeping a constant 15k happy who "dont want sprint."

Im as pissed as can be, trust me, and I will NOT be buying H5 at launch - but from a buisness standpoint, I understand why we get the short end of the stick, because we are the short end of the stick.

The difference between the competitive 10% and the others is that the 10% keep playing the game and promote it. Sure Halo 4 was the best sold Halo, but one week after the release, the population was divided by 4, and the people targeted by 343i never came back on Halo.

Halo is special, it's a whole universe and it's barely accessible for a CoD player who decided to try Halo. Also, I can't understand why they are releasing a long documentary of 1h30 that just lists what everybody loved in Halo 2 and why it was so great and popular, and two weeks later, releasing the H5 gameplay, which showed the opposite of all they were talking about.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Also, the "Spartan Chatter" needs to go. I'm sorry, but even if it's a toggle, it still is ridiculous. Anything that discourages people talking is bad. I know a lot of people don't use mics these days in Halo, and that makes solo pub-stomping kind of a pain, but this is not the solution at all.

And the announcer needs to chill with the addy/cocain. I loved his voice in CE and even in H2. He was saying things more in a gruffy-but-sly way; more like, "yeaaah, look at that double kill... seexxxxy." rather than this "ZOMFG!! A DOUBLE KILL!!! EVERYONE SHIT KITTENS!!!" And just the way he emphasizes things now is terrible: now it's "DOUUUBLE kill" rather than the classic way of not emphasizing either word too much, and reading the statement as a whole. Nit picky, I know, but it's such a simple thing that could make a great deal of difference, along with not announcing every action anyone ever takes or explaining the game mode in detail prior to the match.

Beginning of a Slayer match should just be him saying, "Slayer" all mischievously gritty like, without hanging on the "S" for a full second like he does in Halo 4 for example. But that's it. Nothing more. CTF should be him saying, "Catpture the flag..." and that's it (again, with a calm, sly, gritty tone like in previous title). As it stands, he sounds like a caricature of himself, and they have him detailing the entire premise of a CTF match before it even begins. Leave that description in a box on-screen that comes up under the gametype title:

CAPTURE THE FLAG

Steal the enemy's flag from their base and bring it back to yours to score points.
5pts to win.

Simples.

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhA1kGWsHnM

Ok after watching this gameplay (Even with that annoying voice in the commentary smh) This video is proof that the game can work without Sprint. There is no need for it in the game. Did 343 give any reason why Sprint is needed in Halo? i don't remember if they did. A couple things to notice if you pay attention when watching this video. I seem to notice that there is some sort of recoil when not aiming (ads) or not zooming when the player was getting shot. I noticed it happened while he had the BR and the AR. It may be a bug. 

In all the game just seems to work fine without sprint. I don't mind the abilities as long as they are not easy to pull and involves skill gap. I just don't want sprint in the game man because i just hate the fact that players will be getting to power weapons quickly and getting away and they say your health wont recharge and all. That's good but i guarantee that someone will find a way to abuse it. I know all the abilities seems gimmicky and stuff but i think that we can do fine with them. Sprint needs to go to give Halo back its identity. 343 needs to understand that THE #1 thing that we all wanted gone from Halo was sprint. That is literally all i want, even if it is balanced i just do not want it because no sprint in a shooter especially in this generation gives the game its own identity because too many games nowadays have it and that no sprint is the number one thing over other things that differentiated Halo from other shooters.

Also am i the only one that thinks that the mantling feature is literally going to kill the Halo jumping community?

• Upvote (+1) 7

The difference between the competitive 10% and the others is that the 10% keep playing the game and promote it. Sure Halo 4 was the best sold Halo, but one week after the release, the population was divided by 4, and the people targeted by 343i never came back on Halo.

Halo is special, it's a whole universe and it's barely accessible for a CoD player who decided to try Halo. Also, I can't understand why they are releasing a long documentary of 1h30 that just lists what everybody loved in Halo 2 and why it was so great and popular, and two weeks later, releasing the H5 gameplay, which showed the opposite of all they were talking about.

You're forgetting how bad Halo 4 was at launch. Before Halo 4 was even released, we've learned a lot of things that were going to be questionable or just plain bad. No descope, lack of small playable maps, sprint still being broken, Infinity Slayer, no ranking system, lack of playlists, weapons don't spawn on the map, the BOLTSHOT, broken theater/file share and loadouts. Look at the list of shit that ruined Halo 4 in the first few months after launch, both CoD and Halo players weren't going to stay for this. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhA1kGWsHnM

Ok after watching this gameplay (Even with that annoying voice in the commentary smh) This video is proof that the game can work without Sprint. There is no need for it in the game. Did 343 give any reason why Sprint is needed in Halo? i don't remember if they did. A couple things to notice if you pay attention when watching this video. I seem to notice that there is some sort of recoil when not aiming (ads) or not zooming when the player was getting shot. I noticed it happened while he had the BR and the AR. It may be a bug. 

In all the game just seems to work fine without sprint. I don't mind the abilities as long as they are not easy to pull and involves skill gap. I just don't want sprint in the game man because i just hate the fact that players will be getting to power weapons quickly and getting away and they say your health wont recharge and all. That's good but i guarantee that someone will find a way to abuse it. I know all the abilities seems gimmicky and stuff but i think that we can do fine with them. Sprint needs to go to give Halo back its identity. 343 needs to understand that THE #1 thing that we all wanted gone from Halo was sprint. That is literally all i want, even if it is balanced i just do not want it because no sprint in a shooter especially in this generation gives the game its own identity because too many games nowadays have it and that no sprint is the number one thing over other things that differentiated Halo from other shooters.

Also am i the only one that thinks that the mantling feature is literally going to kill the Halo jumping community?

Is that Porky Pig doing the commentary?

Getting major Adrift vibes off that city map.

• Upvote (+1) 1