CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

This looked great---there was no sprint to be seen for the majority of it!

343, you have such an incredible looking game here. Please, just bite the bullet and try part of the beta without sprint. Or better, get rid of sprint altogether. With that and jsut a couple of aesthetic changes (and I'm not even talking about ADS--except for the pistol and AR) to make it feel more like Halo, we could have one astounding game.

Ahhhhhh, a good halo is so close, yet so far away ;_;

People need to realise that sprint will NEVER be taken out of 5. It can't. The entire game has been built around it now. All of the maps have been built around it. It won't happen.

However I think if armor abilities like thrust is turned down we'll be looking at a lot better of a game than we are seeing. Hell, maybe if you use thrust maybe a ttiinnnyyy bit of your sheild is taken out, idk. I actually have some really positive thoughts about H5. I think it's going to be great if we can tone down a lot of stuff and give constructive criticism about small gameplay mechanics that CAN be changed in the span of a year.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Since its still the beta I think its safe to say that there's still a bit of hope in reviving halo. With 343's mindset being arena gameplay, equal starts, no AAs, there might still be that small piece of hope. We still have enough time to know what's wrong or right in halo 5 and with a beta this early, 343 can still make a lot of changes.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

There is just tooooo much time where people are just running around aimlessly which is due to the fact the maps are too big. If we can bring this to 343's attention in a constructive way, maybe they'll adjust.

More gameplay

Not gonna lie but this gameplay got me hyped

This looks like Halo 4 with wall mantling.

This player doesn't utilize the new stuff hardly all though.  Doesn't seem very representative of what it'll actually be like.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

The spanish dude didn't used sprint and the spartan abilities because he forgot the controls, he actually likes the sprint and abilities

• Upvote (+1) 1

Fantastic read. Keep this safe and repost it on the feedback forums when the beta comes out. I don't mind the lack of equipment so much, however. 

Thank you, and I suppose you're welcome as well lol.

I definitely will keep it around. I wrote it in TextEdit first, just in case power went out (as it frequently does in Florida for absolutely no reason at all).

The equipment is not necessary, I agree. But I was hoping to at least see Regen (it makes for intense 2v2s in Halo 3, so I could see it being useful in this game somehow), maybe even a bubble shield of some sort, and at least a couple of new fun additions that would be more for a "Social Slayer" setting rather than competitive eSports playlist(s). But again, not necessary.

OS and Camo, however, are distinctly "Halo" and need to be in.

Also, after seeing some of the other gameplay videos, I don't see how anyone is saying that the movement speed is too slow sans-sprint; it looks incredibly fast to me even when they're not sprinting or thruster-packing. Much faster than, say, Halo 2 or 3 for example. I mean, watch competitive gameplay videos of Halo 3, then go back and watch Halo 5; it's worlds apart.

To me, another thing that sprint "breaks" in this game specifically is sniping. Sniping will already be hard enough with everyone moving so quickly, as well as using thruster-pack and such, so I think the real solution here is remove sprint, and keep base player speed the same whilst scaling down the maps to about 80% their current size, and keep everything else. This will allow for faster engagement times (or to put it another way, less time wandering around in between engagements) while keeping player movement speed at a pace that won't make sniping frustratingly difficult. It's already tough enough as it is (assuming auto-aim and magnetism is reduced as much as it seems to be from Halo 4), don't make it that much harder.

By the way, the little bit of sniper footage I did see looked absolutely sick. No ADS for the sniper (thank goodness; talk about not making any sense: ADS would be a deal breaker for the brainer), scope was quick, and the "blain-then-mid-air-thrust-away from the second enemy left alive" was one of those "highlight-reel worthy" plays I was talking about in my initial post.

But honestly, that Spanish lad's video (where there was barely any sprinting at all for the majority of the video) was absolutely sexy. I think people just freaked the minute they saw what resembled ADS (and the ground-pound, admittedly) and had blinders on from there on out. I personally am stoked to try it out, especially with the knowledge that 343 is allowing us to do so a year in advance of the game's release and at least, for the time being, seems very receptive and open to constructive feedback.

This game, as it stands now, has much more potential for a fun, entertaining, and skillful Halo-esque modern FPS game than the last two games had combined. As I said before: it's up to us to tweak, polish, and refine it into its best form, which with enough insight, could be the "next step" that Halo has needed to take for a long time now.

...and if it weren't already abundantly clear: I neither work for nor am I paid by 343, and I am also not a "Reach kid", "noob", or anything but someone who started playing Halo back in 2001 with CE.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Also, unlike most other Halo games in the past, this game will be made absolutely 100% better with a Scuff.

Inb4 everyone maps left-paddle to B, and right-paddle to A.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Just finally got around to checking this out and reading all the comments. One phrase to sum Halo 5 up is...lol. We have spartans high fiving each other and dancing around after the match. Im done. Stop trying to hold onto strings guys...Halo is dead, you can make all the excuses you want, and rationalize just like before Halo 4 was released, but it is going to be the same disaster as halo 4. Mark my words. People will still play MCC years down the road (including me) but the big name tournament and sponsors wont exist. Plus all the pros just promote games for the $$$$$$ no matter how bad the game is. Ill see yall on MCC in March!

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Can we all agree that if 343 ignores us, turns a deaf ear to the user reaction to the beta (like how they turned a deaf ear to every complaint about H4, and have continuously turned a deaf ear to the core Halo fanbase that wants Halo to go back to its roots) to just not reward them for their insulting ignorance and boycott the game? They only deserve our money if they make the Halo game we want. If they make the Halo game they want, because they think it's cool and because it strokes their ego to make Halo 'theirs' in their own nauseating ways, then we should not buy it. It's like how they made the player icons on the radar into diamonds, rather than circles, just to make it theirs. Like how they made the announcer high pitched, effeminate and lame rather than gruff and badass. It's the most pointless, childish little change, but it deliciously sums up their attitude towards the Halo IP. They don't make changes because they are inspired and sensible, they make changes literally because they can, and are convinced of their own genius in doing so.

I feel so bad about the Halo franchise at this point though. It's like seeing this amazing girl you used to have a crush on get more and more slutty and wild until she eventually unravels entirely.

• Upvote (+1) 9
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Is the beta ranking system going to be like how arena was in reach?

Not quite. Arena was a failure for a lot of reasons that I won't get into, but H5 CSR will be along the lines of BO2, StarCraft II, and League of Legends Ranks.

PRAISE. BASED. MENKE.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Not quite. Arena was a failure for a lot of reasons that I won't get into, but H5 CSR will be along the lines of BO2, StarCraft II, and League of Legends Ranks.

PRAISE. BASED. MENKE.

Sounds like allot of fun I can't wait.

wtf, so you can just climb shit instead of having to skill jump on to different ledges and things?

wtf, you can just hover in the air with the sniper and rocket launcher and just get kills with the smart scope?

wtf, the ar and smg are long range weapons now? 

wtf, so no armor abilities but its fair because everyone has the same 20 abilities? 

wtf, you can just straight up run laps around midship for days without stopping? 

wtf is this shit.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 3

All i got to say is, all these pros that are praising the shit out of Halo 5, better fucking not leave like 2 months after it releases (AKA Halo 4). Say something meaningful to 343 while it still matters so it can become something you love. 

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Wow, to all the people who say wait let's play the game first, SHUT UP!!!

The halo community has been fucked over too many times(Halo Reach/4).

TELL 343I WE DON'T WANT THIS SHIT IN HALO!!!!!

• Upvote (+1) 8
  • Downvote (-1) 11

I can't wait to jump off P3, activate my Smart Scope to hover and soar through the air like a majestic deity as I give my opponents the heavenly four.

:weback:

Can we all agree that if 343 ignores us, turns a deaf ear to the user reaction to the beta (like how they turned a deaf ear to every complaint about H4, and have continuously turned a deaf ear to the core Halo fanbase that wants Halo to go back to its roots) to just not reward them for their insulting ignorance and boycott the game? They only deserve our money if they make the Halo game we want. If they make the Halo game they want, because they think it's cool and because it strokes their ego to make Halo 'theirs' in their own nauseating ways, then we should not buy it. It's like how they made the player icons on the radar into diamonds, rather than circles, just to make it theirs. Like how they made the announcer high pitched, effeminate and lame rather than gruff and badass. It's the most pointless, childish little change, but it deliciously sums up their attitude towards the Halo IP. They don't make changes because they are inspired and sensible, they make changes literally because they can, and are convinced of their own genius in doing so.

I feel so bad about the Halo franchise at this point though. It's like seeing this amazing girl you used to have a crush on get more and more slutty and wild until she eventually unravels entirely.

I think everyone here needs to realize that the "competitive" community is not the primary market or consumer of Halo.

We are lucky that we have a voice at all.  343 (and lets be honest, pretty much every other developer out there) is looking at the cashin that is release day.  When H4 was released (the most sold Halo of all time) there was around 450-500k people playing at launch, and the competitive community makes up less than 10% of that. 

I am with you, even with the small influence we have, it sucks to continually be steamrolled over and our voices not heard.

However, if everyone here would look at the bigger picture (sales #'s) 343 is forced to make a game that will garnish new players and hopefully lure in the multitude of COD style fanboys.  If 343 can get 40-60k more 13 year olds to ask their parents for Halo for Christmas, then they consider it a success; as apposed to keeping a constant 15k happy who "dont want sprint."

Im as pissed as can be, trust me, and I will NOT be buying H5 at launch - but from a buisness standpoint, I understand why we get the short end of the stick, because we are the short end of the stick.

• Upvote (+1) 1

All i got to say is, all these pros that are praising the shit out of Halo 5, better fucking not leave like 2 months after it releases (AKA Halo 4). Say something meaningful to 343 while it still matters so it can become something you love. 

If Halo Championship Series is giving them a chance to make a few grand every few months, then we will see them active every few months.  Rinse and repeat until the support drops.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Wow, to all the people who say wait let's play the game first, SHUT UP!!!

The halo community has been fucked over too many times(Halo Reach/4).

TELL 343I WE DON'T WANT THIS SHIT IN HALO!!!!!

Seriously, I cannot believe I haven't heard ONE piece of criticism or any meaningful feedback from the pro community yet, the players at the Invitational event have direct communication with 343 devs and should be doing what pro's are supposed to do in their position and suggest what they can do to improve/fix H5.

Are you telling me every Halo pro there liked the "Smart-scope"(aka ADS) on the BR and pistol after playing Halo for 10 years without that shit? Unlimited sprint....what suggestions are being made to further make that mechanic semi-okay in comp play? All through H4 EVERYONE downright hated sprint and now its suddenly ok? I just want to see someone in the pro community step up and offer 343 some useful feedback that can be used to better the game, I have no idea why every Halo release the pro community seems to turn into fan-boys when the devs ask for feed-back. Get someone like Zyos or someone who is not financially dependent on the success of H5 as a comp title to fly out there and explain the issues with it for competitive play. 

• Upvote (+1) 5

y0nayuW.jpg

RIP if late but the kill cams show health and armour values. Pretty useful.

• Upvote (+1) 5

My suggestions for sorting some of the issues

Obviously removing sprint is the best option however below is possible mitigations

If shot while sprinting you take double damage

If shot while sprinting your movement speed drops to below "walking speed" for 2 seconds

As well as no shield recharge for 4 seconds

Ground pound

Again take it out but if not.

Make the aiming circle the same size as the Br reticule

If you miss you lose all shields (instant kill if you hit)

Make ground pound charge time 2.5 seconds

Thruster

Give all players 6 thrusts per game

Just suggestions :)

• Downvote (-1) 2

RIP if late but the kill cams show health and armour values. Pretty useful.

Quite a neat feature 

Great find btw

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1