CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Here's something that might fix sprint...

Allow us to use guns while sprinting. This would turn the mechanic into more of a speed boots than sprint and would at least allow us to use the mechanic aggressively. 

I like the idea of adding movement options to speed up gameplay, but if we can't shoot while using these options then the potential for these to be more offensive or defensive favors the latter. Defensive options and the feeling of uselessness is what killed Halo. Let us use our guns while sprinting and thrusting- that will fix some of the issues here. 

This game has potential. It wont be Halo exactly, but it has the potential to be a great arena shooter. The problem is that ideas are being pulled from squad shooters like Call of Duty. There's a reason COD is a squad shooter and not an arena shooter, so pulling ideas from a squad shooter for an arena game will never end well. Look at Quake and Unreal for inspiration when designing an arena shooter. 

This game could be great, but needs a massive overhaul of the mechanics first. I think I heard that the beta feedback will be used for "tweaks" rather than overhauls, and that's a bad sign. We don't need to play this game to know what will be broken and what wont. A true Halo scientist doesn't even need to see gameplay footage; merely hearing about mechanical ideas is enough to judge them. 

Also, to get ahead of the game, competitive H5 settings should not include DMR starts>BR starts, DMR+BR starts>BR starts. 

If they do that, Sprint becomes redundant, or worse, it adds complexity without adding any depth. There's no meaningful choice to be made if Sprinting while shooting is enabled; every player will sprint at any time possible. It would make everyone's life easier, and reduce the game's complexity, if 343i trust removes Sprint.

It would make everyone's life easier, and reduce the game's complexity, if 343i trust removes Sprint.

Of course. 

Assuming that doesn't happen though, and it probably wont, keeping your gun up while sprinting is the best alternative (in addition to the shield detriment). 

Can any spanish speaking person tell me if its normal how fast this man is talking? It sounded like he was being fast forwarded.

He's spanish, from spain... yeah.

What about we suggest this to 343.... Instead of sprint not allowing your shields to recharge, what if they made it so you can not sprint if your shields are not 100%.Or we could just tell them to delete sprint :kappa:

this is what I suggested. Sprinting and thrusting directly tied to shields. They slowly drain while sprinting. And if depleted, you can't sprint. Same as thruster, each trust depletes 1/3-1/4 of your shields. No arbitrary cool down time. So you could do 3-4 quick thrusts but you would have no shields. And then you can't sprint or thrust out of a bad situation. Makes the abilities purely risk/reward and more offensive.

The player base speed seems pretty fast also.

Really sucks a few bad mechanics can make a entire game look bad.

Can't call the mechanics bad until you try them.

Edit: Didn't realize Grenade Indicators are gone!!!

• Downvote (-1) 2

More gameplay

Not gonna lie but this gameplay got me hyped

Base movement speed looks so slow :(

Just take out sprint and bump up the move speed :halo:

edit: gave it another watch and I guess it's alright, it just feels slow compared to sprint and thruster speed. Idk it's something I'll have to feel for myself.

I guarantee, if we had two polls A & B with yes/no options set up on ANY Halo forum;

A - if Sprint is included in H5, would you buy the game? - Yes/No

B - if Sprint is excluded in H5, would you buy the game? - Yes/No

The number of 'No' votes in A would vastly outweigh the 'No' votes in B (if the latter poll has any 'No' votes at all). I really don't think Sprint = greater profits, quite the contrary.

Name one.

Sprint in the game. I remember seeing a tweet from Quinn, I believe, saying that. I don't have the picture. Someone probably does. 

Given that Snipedown got two "perfect kills" in a row on his first time playing, I think it's unlikely.

like snipe down doesn't do that the reg..

Sprint in the game. I remember seeing a tweet from Quinn, I believe, saying that. I don't have the picture. Someone probably does. 

Quinn was irritatingly aggressive about the presence of Sprint so I had no doubt it would be in the game in some form or another.

This. Quinn was always hinting at it being in.

It was obvious that Sprint was going too be in the game and all bet that Quinn Delhoyo is the reason why because he got so defensive about it when ever anybody would criticize it on twitter.

On a positive note, I think we can all agree H5 at first look has more potential competitive wise than Reach+H4 ever did, and 343 is pushing it for e-sports which is fantastic.

However, classic scoping needs to be optional for precision weapons(ADS BR=no bueno) and if possible sprint needs to be tweaked to let you fire while sprinting. I think this would actually make sense because Spartans are supposed to be capable of super-human accuracy, and it just makes sense that futuristic soldiers would evolve to a quicker combat style that allows them to fire accurately while moving at full speed with the built in HUD in their helmet. The faster kill times DO help as players will be punished more, but I still think if sprint is to stay it needs to be tweaked to maintain the equal balance between offensive and defensive player encounters like in traditional Arena FPS.

My thoughts, just to weigh in for the purpose of feedback- for me this game is a no-buy without the following:

1. ADS has to go. I don't care if it's just "graphical". It looks god awful and is about as non-halo as you can get. It's completely regressive. I'm not running around mashing the left trigger constantly. Also interferes w the jump while scoped capability that comes in very handy, particularly in team snipers, but in other circumstances as well. When I look at how elegant Halo's zoom is and how graphically pleasing and functional it is it's beyond my understanding how anyone would touch this. Flabbergasted that ADS in Halo made it past the belly laugh stage at the planning meeting. The new euphemism for ADS they've invented just insults my intellect.

2. If the current attempt at sprint doesn't basically make it a non-issue in terms of TEAM play I'm out. Had enough of chaos halo. If I want FFA I'll play FFA.

3. I'm praying for at least one no junk playlist - ground pound charge etc.

4. I absolutely hate the new cod announcer junk telling us what the enemy team is doing. This needs to go. At least let me mute it. I know it will put me at a disadvantage, I'll take it.

There's a lot more I dislike about it in terms of "feel", but the above are the deal breakers for me (I guess I would out up w the announcer for a little while). The one thought I had when I saw it for the first time was that we believe, but they really don't. They don't believe. They don't belive that Halo can sell in the modern FPS market. They also come across as incredibly arrogant given that the only Halo they've made was a colossal failure in terms of player retention. I think they're wrong. I had my young son, who's a huge Destiny fan, play H2 campaign tonight on MCC for the first time. His beaming comment at dinner: "This game is so much better than Destiny!!!!!" Indeed it is.

• Upvote (+1) 5

My thoughts, just to weigh in for the purpose of feedback- for me this game is a no-buy without the following:

1. ADS has to go. I don't care if it's just "graphical". It looks god awful and is about as non-halo as you can get. It's completely regressive. I'm not running around mashing the left trigger constantly. Also interferes w the jump while scoped capability that comes in very handy, particularly in team snipers, but in other circumstances as well. When I look at how elegant Halo's zoom is and how graphically pleasing and functional it is it's beyond my understanding how anyone would touch this. Flabbergasted that ADS in Halo made it past the belly laugh stage at the planning meeting. The new euphemism for ADS they've invented just insults my intellect.

2. If the current attempt at sprint doesn't basically make it a non-issue in terms of TEAM play I'm out. Had enough of chaos halo. If I want FFA I'll play FFA.

3. I'm praying for at least one no junk playlist - ground pound charge etc.

4. I absolutely hate the new cod announcer junk telling us what the enemy team is doing. This needs to go. At least let me mute it. I know it will put me at a disadvantage, I'll take it.

There's a lot more I dislike about it in terms of "feel", but the above are the deal breakers for me (I guess I would out up w the announcer for a little while). The one thought I had when I saw it for the first time was that we believe, but they really don't. They don't believe. They don't belive that Halo can sell in the modern FPS market. They also come across as incredibly arrogant given that the only Halo they've made was a colossal failure in terms of player retention. I think they're wrong. I had my young son, who's a huge Destiny fan, play H2 campaign tonight on MCC for the first time. His beaming comment at dinner: "This game is so much better than Destiny!!!!!" Indeed it is.

Scope in is still the same button as before and it's not necessary to have accuracy. You also get descoped if hit.  

• Downvote (-1) 1

The Multiplayer Reveal convinced me this will officially be the first Halo I will not own. I will not support those features stolen from Titanfall, COD, whatever in a Halo game. It's not innovation, it's more of the same with a Halo flavor and even that's a stretch. 

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 4

1sW8xxs.gif

When I first saw the H5 winning screen, I thought of these spartans as 343's reaction after the reveal. I had to make this.

take my rep, all of it

snip

Fantastic read. Keep this safe and repost it on the feedback forums when the beta comes out. I don't mind the lack of equipment so much, however. 

Can any spanish speaking person tell me if its normal how fast this man is talking? It sounded like he was being fast forwarded.

60 fps commentary confirmed :weback:

• Upvote (+1) 1

This. Quinn was always hinting at it being in.

Might have the specific employee wrong. 

More gameplay

Not gonna lie but this gameplay got me hyped

This looked great---there was no sprint to be seen for the majority of it!

343, you have such an incredible looking game here. Please, just bite the bullet and try part of the beta without sprint. Or better, get rid of sprint altogether. With that and jsut a couple of aesthetic changes (and I'm not even talking about ADS--except for the pistol and AR) to make it feel more like Halo, we could have one astounding game.

Ahhhhhh, a good halo is so close, yet so far away ;_;

This looked incredible! And there was no sprint to be seen for the majority of it!

343, you have such an incredible looking game here! Please, just bite the bullet and try part of the beta without sprint. Or better, get rid of sprint altogether. With that and jsut a couple of aesthetic changes (and I'm not even talking about ADS--except for the pistol and AR) to make it feel more like Halo, we could have one astounding game.

Ahhhhhh, a good halo is so close, yet so far away ;_;

I kinda agree, but the maps are still too big. I don't get why they include sprint yet nerf it so hard that it's almost useless. Get rid of it completely.