CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Do you play boxer? Why would you put Melee on the trigger.

I'm sure they already have a control scheme like this anyway.

On the note of Clamber, it's important to notice that the maps skill jumps were designed with Clamber in mind. It isn't some excuse for players to get a second chance if they missed a jump, it adds a second layer to the skill gap of making skill jumps by timing the Clamber right, or not pressing it and falling (even if by choice).

It adds movement options while still keeping the integrity of skill jumps, because the maps were designed with Clamber in mind.

READ UNY ARTICLE

Ye I play boxer religiously in anything post reach. I just don't like the way clamber sounds is all, no harm meant by that :P.

One thing people keep bringing up is the weapon design and single shot from the BR and the below paragraph should summarize why i believe this is a good thing.

Wait so the BR really is single shot? So the two "primary" weapons are DMR and BR and both are going to be single shot? 

No not at all; i'm honestly just trying to be positive. No one can please everyone not 343 not myself not you.

I only made my post to get my opinion across following playing; not just from watching a video.

Honestly didn't expect people to be upset by that

Just ignore it and move on.  Maybe that part of the community can disappear and leave the rest of us to discuss on how H5 can be as competitive of a game as it can be.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

No not at all; i'm honestly just trying to be positive. No one can please everyone not 343 not myself not you.

I only made my post to get my opinion across following playing; not just from watching a video.

Honestly didn't expect people to be upset by that

Well, most of the anger comes from the fact that 343 left in what was arguably one of the biggest issues most people had with past Halos: sprint. And no matter how hard we try, we can't imagine sprint doing anything good for the arena shooter that a simple base movement speed boost couldn't have fixed, and done much better. Sprint isn't a modernizing technique; a better thing to say is that all Spartans are sprinting all the time, giving players the true illusion of being a "super soldier" rather than a normal one (if that argument was ever valid to begin with. It wasn't.) Map, and match flow as a whole, has suffered enormously in past Halos because of it, and if the exhibition match was anything to go by, the issue is persisting.

Thrusters were a great idea. They should have replaced sprint altogether. Instead we got this hybrid monstrosity. Well, regardless, I'm gonna play the living daylights out of the beta and give them my honest-to-goodness feedback in the most polite way possible. No anger. No name calling. I'll tell them what I find, why and how it hurts the game, and make suggestions on how to implement the changes better, and hope 343i's designers aren't so arrogant as to think that simply because the majority of its critics aren't game designers that we don't know what's best. So far it isn't looking good in that department.

That's all we can do at this point. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Eb5HOhu.png?1

QFT. This quote just proves why clambering is in the game - to make bad kids feel good, instead of making bad kids get good. Can't make a jump? No need to practice, just hold A and herpaderp your way up.

I miss the days of Gold 1 to Gold 2.

I hate it when devs assume that casuals don't want to put in the time to get good. Having a higher skill ceiling makes people more interested in the game, because they see that there's depth there.

• Upvote (+1) 1

things have changed;

That's why I'm conflicted over the new stuff. I have no doubt it'll be a good game, with a few changes it looks like it could be a great competitive game, but some of this stuff doesn't look like Halo.

Shadowrun 2007 is one of my favourite games of all time. Slap a Halo skin on it and I would be concerned, because ithe doesn't play like Halo.

What in the name of actual fuck did I just read.

To be fair, he is 100% right. It's the stuff on top of it that is concerning.

Who here that is salty about this reveal would think this game would be cool if it was a completely new IP?

srs if you don't look at it like a Halo game and its own game I think the game can be cool if done correctly. It has static spawns (I really hope 4 min power weapons aren't the norm), difficult aiming, quick KTs, weapons look pretty viable so far, Ground pound looks easily punishable and very risky (radius doesn't look to large to fly away with TP)

Main issues I have so far is Sprint, I'm not sure if not being able to get your shields back is punishable enough. Unless I'm missing something can this scenario still happen easily? Player A is shot two times by a BR by Blue street but pretty close to blue base in Middy (Is that the right callout? Lol forgot every Halo games callouts) while player B is P3. He sprints away because he's down shots and hides in the base, player B doesn't want to lose position so he stays there because chasing would be dumb.

TP should be made more in an offensive mindset. Being able to shoot while using it would be great.

This games not Halo and thank god we have MCC

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

@@RippinHeads

You say they are addressing the issues with sprint but your explanation point out the lack of understanding of how deeply sprint effect the game. The effect it has on map size, weapon placement, map movement, lines of sight, and so on are drastic. Sometimes the smallest peeble has long reaching ripples. It was evident in the game play we saw as well just how big that small map was and the gameplay suffered.

99% of the people who are acting like this is all fine are the same people that will be gone from the fame within 2 weeks. They have no loyalty and honestly don't care. Same with these Pros. As people bail, the IP starts to lose support, that competitive stuff they are talking about disappears, and Pros will be gone because its not like CE when people played because they really wanted to (all bout the money). As long as it gives them 5 minutes of thrill they'll talk like it's awesome and then they'll turn just like they always do. Halo is like a one night stand to these people, meanwhile the devoted get cheated on and betrayed.

• Upvote (+1) 2

This is what I feared. 343 hired all the pros and they got their input on the fine details, so we get cool things like spectator mode, static weapon timers, (apparently) less auto aim and legitimate ranking systems. But they're not the ones deciding the overarching direction of the multiplayer, so we get a bunch of "revolutionary" additions thrown in that no one has any idea whether they will work or not. It's almost worse than just getting a crap game because now there's a huge chance we get a game designed for competitive play that isn't actually all that competitive.

• Upvote (+1) 2

From what I saw, It looked pretty fun and there's a lot of things you can do to outplay your opponent.. Which could make a good skill gap.

I also liked the climbing aspect to, it looked very fluid which can add to the game in a good way.

What i didn't really like to much was the announcer, or something called out when power weapons would be up.. And he announced  it's a 2v2 or 1v1 for that gametype..  I just don't feel that's necessary and takes away from learning awareness.. Also some of the things he said, kinda sounded corny..

But all that stuff isn't a deal breaker..

I'm not one of those hard headed guys that says Halo must not change to be good. I think change is good if done well, and polished well..

I think and hope they have learned from their mistakes.  I hope this game will be the start of the new Halo, that is just as fun and addicting and time consuming as Halo 2 was for me. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

How can they say Halo is Back, and back to its original roots, and then show us this? Huge facepalm to the longtime halo players. (This is just my personal opinion!)

• Upvote (+1) 5

What's bad about announcer calling when power weapons would be up? Weapons are static anyways

Detracts from the cerebral experience that makes Halo enjoyable at a high level, even if it is a simple enough process to remember weapon spawns. It's extremely beneficial for low-level players, though, since they wouldn't otherwise get to experience competition over weapon control.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Detracts from the cerebral experience that makes Halo enjoyable at a high level, even if it is a simple enough process to remember weapon spawns. It's extremely beneficial for low-level players, though, since they wouldn't otherwise get to experience competition over weapon control.

Timing static spawns is really easy, I don't see how that detracts anything from high level Halo. H1 players have been doing it for 13 years and that works pretty much the same way. Not to mention you still need to time because you should be planning a strat for power weapons at least a minute before. Game only gives you 30 seconds and 10 second notifications

If this game was like Quake when it comes to spawns, I'd agree with you but H1, Reach and this game are relatively simple as is when it comes to weapon spawns. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

QFT. This quote just proves why clambering is in the game - to make bad kids feel good, instead of making bad kids get good. Can't make a jump? No need to practice, just hold A and herpaderp your way up.

I miss the days of Gold 1 to Gold 2.

I hate it when devs assume that casuals don't want to put in the time to get good. Having a higher skill ceiling makes people more interested in the game, because they see that there's depth there.

Doesn't clamber allow for a bigger variety of skilled jumps?

1. Jump
  1. Jump
  2. Jump clamber
  1. Jump
  2. Jump clamber
  3. Sprint jump
  4. Sprint jump clamber
  1. Jump
  2. Jump clamber
  3. Sprint jump
  4. Thrust jump
  5. Thrust jump clamber
  6. Sprint jump clamber
  7. Sprint jump thrust
  8. Sprint jump thrust clamber
  • Upvote (+1) 5

Timing static spawns is really easy, I don't see how that detracts anything from high level Halo. H1 players have been doing it for 13 years and that works pretty much the same way. Not to mention you still need to time because you should be planning a strat for power weapons at least a minute before. Game only gives you 30 seconds and 10 second notifications

Personal preference. I've never thought it changed gameplay that much at a high level. At its worst, having no weapon indicator is a social slayer pubstomping tool. At its best, it's a way of making players feel fully immersed in the game. Having something new to learn is usually regarded as a good thing, so people will naturally be against this.

And what is the problem? the Halo name gets associated with a new fun, good and competitive game. Fuck that, right.

The problem it that there are alot of fun, good games out there, but I want to play Halo.

Halo used to have unique characteristics among console FPSs, without these it's only one of many other shooters.

I even agree with you that this game looks kinda fun, but it's not Halo but just another generic shooter with ADS and sprint.

Personal preference. I've never thought it changed gameplay that much at a high level. At its worst, having no weapon indicator is a social slayer pubstomping tool. At its best, it's a way of making players feel fully immersed in the game. Having something new to learn is usually regarded as a good thing, so people will naturally be against this.

Yeah I see what you're saying but at least when I think about it, it's super simple to do so you're not missing much. And like I said the game only gives 30/10 second notifications so you still need to time to plan what you're gonna do