CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

So I lurked for about 3 months before this popped up, and I am gonna say a few things. And a  bunch of you are going to get salty on me but whatever.

Sprint: Alot of people don't like it, I understand why they don't like it. But with the new system that doesn't allow shield recharge, we should see sprinting only used to get away in team fights, which is more acceptable than before. It could maybe use some tweeking sure, but they are on the right track for making a balanced sprint.

ADS (Smart Scope?): Smart scope is *technically* something that has been in the halo universe. Spartans have never used the scope, scopes are only there for the marines I guess. Spartan helmets are hooked up to a chip in the weapon, that sends a signals back and forth to update the HUD. So the way they are doing it, tying it into the HUD so you don't actually ADS, is okay. Besides, using ADS on the AR completely bones your turn speed and stuff so it is relatively balanced.

Armor Abilities: I am  happy that everyone has the same things now. The abilities them selves may not be super balanced, but the idea that everyone is the same is what halo was founded on so I am not too upset about the inclusion of thruster pack.

Climbing: About godamn time my spartan can climb up walls. Jesus christ its the future already.

Q~Q doesn't feel like halo.

So what will happen when I'm in a 1v1 on a small map and my enemy just keeps sprinting around? Even if I get him one shot it'll be an endless chase of sprinting until either he gives up and lets me kill him or I back off for a new confrontation. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

In psychology, cognitive dissonance is the mental stress or discomfort experienced by an individual who holds two or more contradictory beliefs, ideas, or values at the same time, or is confronted by new information that conflicts with existing beliefs, ideas, or values.[1][2]

Leon Festinger's theory of cognitive dissonance focuses on how humans strive for internal consistency. When inconsistency (dissonance) is experienced, individuals tend to become psychologically uncomfortable and are motivated to attempt to reduce this dissonance, as well as actively avoiding situations and information which are likely to increase it.[1]

Pardon me, sire?

First impressions from videos is it for sure not even close to being traditional Halo but at the same time if the mechanics are done properly could be a lot of fun.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Not sure how I feel about the spartan's talking to each other and semi-calling out for teammates in game....it's cool but idk.....we'll see about that. 

I know a lot of people are not going to like the fact the game times power weapons either.

Pardon me, sire?

Let me clarify, pros believe in the real old school version of halo that worked BUT they're getting paid/getting perks from 343i and Halo in general for playing the NEW Halo. These are CONFLICTING viewpoints. So Pros will rationalize new Halos as always being good as they did before because it alleviates the discomfort associated with the attitude that the new halo sucks and the old halo is better. Because of the compensation they will continue to choose the new halo because they're psychologically and financially invested in in succeeding, therefore, these people CANNOT give any SEMBLANCE of an honest evaluation. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

After watching all the gameplay, the thing that concerns me the most is the "ledge clamber". Why people aren't as vocal about this idk. Firstly, I can guarantee it that this will be buggy in the final game, quote me. Secondly, this will limit every map ever if they have this mechanic as a core mechanic. Idk if anyone remembers Brink that supposedly was "Freerunning" but you could only "freerun" in certain places. Thirdly, less skill gap. Fourthly, it's automatic. For example, imagine fighting while in needle pit against someone tower. You jump while shooting towards plat/first to take cover and you accidently get auto picked up on the ledge and die. Or, if you are just trying to peek shoot over the ledge and you auto climb up.

So, this mechanic IS going to be buggy unless they restrict it to certain platforms and even then people will break it. There is no way I can see them implement this bug free unless they restrict movement areas. Also, it should at least be connected to a button press.

Side note, that 4v4 elimination is very similar to the paintball custom games with the plasma pistols lol.

I'm pretty sure in the vidoc whatever that idiot del hoya guy said that you have to hit a button. Either way it is fucking stupid and completely removes a skilled aspect from halo.

Let me clarify, pros believe in the real old school version of halo that worked BUT they're getting paid/getting perks from 343i and Halo in general for playing the NEW Halo. These are CONFLICTING viewpoints. So Pros will rationalize new Halos as always being good as they did before because it alleviates the discomfort associated with the attitude that the new halo sucks and the old halo is better. Because of the compensation they will continue to choose the new halo because they're psychologically and financially invested in in succeeding, therefore, these people CANNOT give any SEMBLANCE of an honest evaluation. 

Oh yeah, makes total sense. I thought you were relating the dissonance to me, which confused me lol.

Oh yeah, makes total sense. I thought you were relating the dissonance to me, which confused me lol.

haha What's funny about the pros, is that probably half of them have no skills that employers value and they're going to struggle for many years after they get out of the Halo scene, but what is funny is that they're willing to do all that for virtually no money, probably 10-20k a year at most. They're willing to sacrifice they integrity in making those completely false evaluations of Halo for 10-20k to play a horrible version of Halo. That's just stupid. Snipedown was SALIVATING over Halo 4 in an interview, along with elamite, ninja, etc., when everyone knew and as the population has shown, it was COMPLETE DOG SHIT. Why would any value these peoples' opinions?!

• Downvote (-1) 1

Guys would y'all quit with this looks like advanced warfare. I mean for crying out loud advanced warfare is cod trying to be like halo.

All these elements bring more depth to every aspect of the game and logical evolutions of the halo franchise.

And every person who likes the game y'all are shitting all over them.

Have y'all not forgotten 343 and ghandi did not get a long at all because Gandhi spoke his mind about how shit halo 4 was.

And now that he likes 5 and says it's hard to aim y'all are calling him a bandwagoneer.

Halo 5 can be better than halo ce but only if it's own game. But if it just tries to be halo ce it will always second to ce.

The halo 4 stuff was before Gandhi became a cod castor.

haha What's funny about the pros, is that probably half of them have no skills that employers value and they're going to struggle for many years after they get out of the Halo scene, but what is funny is that they're willing to do all that for virtually no money, probably 10-20k a year at most. They're willing to sacrifice they integrity in making those completely false evaluations of Halo for 10-20k to play a horrible version of Halo. That's just stupid. Snipedown was SALIVATING over Halo 4 in an interview, along with elamite, ninja, etc., when everyone knew and as the population has shown, it was COMPLETE DOG SHIT. Why would any value these peoples' opinions?!

You're right, clearly we're all doing it wrong. Close the thread guys, Velo knows all about the pro's lives and clearly knows more than they do when it comes to a good Halo game. Dude, where have you been man? You could have saved us all so long ago  :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

To be honest, the biggest problem is not the path 343 is taking. The biggest problem is the amount of people that dont share their REAL opinion and let other peoples opinions become "theirs". This happens unintentionally and is seemless. How do I know this? It almost happened to me. Being in this community (BE), there is a general opinion that everyone supposedly shares making it hard to confess you do accept certain changes and would prefer to fit in. It happens very slowly and before you know it, you are now a sheep. 

Now, Im not saying that people who hate h5 have no good reason to hate it, but there are MANY who adopt that opinion from somebody who explained it fairly well and it just snowballed from there. 

Remember, this doesnt apply to all people but to the dumb ones who adopt that opinion and express it the wrong way.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Some of the personal attacks in this thread - on both sides of the debate, as well as towards the pros - are really disappointing. Keep it civil guys.

• Upvote (+1) 1

You might as well start including the top tier Pro Players in that statement too.  While we haven't heard from all of them yet, it seems like they are in agreement that with small changes it works well in a competitive nature.

:goat:

Every pro is only going to say good things about it with HCS being announced and big teams coming over to halo. No one will dare talk bad about it.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 2

I just watched the first 2 minutes of the H5 Beta reveal and then stopped the whole video midway.

I'm not going to bash what I just witnessed, I simply will do the most rational thing and not play it. No need to get upset. 

Don't see this as someone giving up and expressing how they feel, its more so on the lines of at this point if they don't get it then they just don't get it. 

To the guys out there like me and feel the same way I do, it honestly doesn't matter what we say anymore, 343i still will do what they want. 

To the guys who are hopeful and can't wait to get their hands on H5, from the bottom of my heart I hope you all truly enjoy it. I guess this is the future of video games now. 

So apparently the game is good, needs balancing (according to pros reaction, yes I do not own a tinfoil hat) what is the problem, a fun game with mechanics that are very situational driven and hard, which maps work well with said mechanics, lower aim assist, with an already noticeable skill gap, that looks and feels modern, that can be competitive, what is the problem? Its not Halo 2?, no shit, but if its good and competitive "its not Halo 2" is not an acceptable response, its childish.

Tell me the real reason, no one in this 100+ threat has given a real one.

• Upvote (+1) 8
  • Downvote (-1) 1

You're right, clearly we're all doing it wrong. Close the thread guys, Velo knows all about the pro's lives and clearly knows more than they do when it comes to a good Halo game. Dude, where have you been man? You could have saved us all so long ago  :kappa:

You're welcome! I'm glad I can help out the people who can't think for themselves. Are you trying to say we should value the pros opinions more than our own? Ah right, because when they were all being interviewed, saying halo 4 was amazing, they were all right!

• Downvote (-1) 3

So apparently the game is good, needs balancing (according to pros reaction, yes I do not own a tinfoil hat) what is the problem, a fun game with mechanics that are very situational driven and hard, which maps work well with said mechanics, lower aim assist, with an already noticeable skill gap, that looks and feels modern, that can be competitive, what is the problem? Its not Halo 2?, no shit, but if its good and competitive "its not Halo 2" is not an acceptable response, its childish.

Agree 100%.  Everyone needs to realize that its not H2.  Maybe than people will look at the game by itself and not comparing it to H2 or H3.

• Upvote (+1) 1

You're welcome! I'm glad I can help out the people who can't think for themselves.

Glad you can do the thinking for all of us with assumptions and misinformation!!! I love getting my news from CNN and Nancy Grace   :kappa:

I hope we can see part of the H5 ranking system during the beta but I highly doubt it.  inb4 343 sucks because no ranking system in beta.

You're welcome! I'm glad I can help out the people who can't think for themselves. Are you trying to say we should value the pros opinions more than our own? Ah right, because when they were all being interviewed, saying halo 4 was amazing, they were all right!

I'm not sure what we'd do without you bro. We'd be so lost...

• Upvote (+1) 1

H5 looks okay. i wish the BR and magnum had the same scope as the AR. That looks good. Feels wrong seeing you ADS a BR. Ground Pound still seems really cheesy. 

They could make a chess video game with Halo characters, would be even more competitive than Halo CE. It's not just about the competitive aspect, it's also about how the game feels and H5 certainly doesn't look like a Halo game.

My two cents:

People fanboying the game after watching the video as well as those bashing it are both off base already. You can't make a decision on something before you try it. At this point I'll take the opinion of those who have some actual hands on experience over the keyboard jockey's who have no feel for the game. Seeing people say the game "feels" a certain way off of watching it have no idea what they are talking about. If you haven't experienced it you have no feel for it at all, watching is not the same as playing.

Right now I'm cautiously optimistic that the Beta will be enjoyable based on what those who have played it have said, however, I'm reserving judgement for when I get to play myself. Many of you have already written the game off and even if it is good at this point some of you are already past the point of no return and won't admit to it because you have already developed a prejudice against it based off of a few minutes of footage.

My personal opinion of the footage was that it is a pretty game and after getting past some of the initial shock it looks like it can be a good game with maybe a few tweaks here and there. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

My best suggestion to 343 at this point is this: during the beta, just give us ONE WEEK where they take out sprint (and spartan charge, I guess), upgrade the base movement speed by 50%, and give a couple maps made to size. Then listen to our feedback, and host a massive poll asking how it felt compared to the week with sprint.

If they are truly interested in finding the BEST combination of Halo mechanics while listening to feedback, this will serve the best of both worlds.

Just TRY it 343, that's all we're asking. If you let the players try it, they'll show you they like it. Keep the other mechanics if you must, but just let us play it without sprint and then give you our feedback on which feels better. 

• Upvote (+1) 7