CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Alright peeps, I don't know who will take the time to read this, but I need to put this down.

Halo 5, as it looks now, is a pot of beef stew with rotten vegetables. That implies that I can see potential, but there needs to be major changes to the gameplay. What I am going to put below will probably have most of you agreeing with it. The others may stick to what they want.

Before reading the below, let this be known; This is my honest opinion on what should change and what should stay.

Sprint. This right here has been the greatest hassle to Halo's movement decisions, and should be removed by the full release. Even if it is nerfed again in this iteration of H5, it won't make the game truly shine if it stays. Instead, the movement should boost to 40% of the base movement we are familiar with in H1 and H2. This, along with a very responsive strafe, and the Thruster, would make this game damn good movement wise. Speaking of Thruster...

Thruster. One of the most interesting things you can do in a fight on H4 was boost to any direction, catching your enemy off guard. I like that it is back in H5, but sprint alongside it makes it less of a good tool. With faster movement, it can be more of a juking ability. The boost itself will probably be 20% less than the movement, but will decrease auto aim on yourself when performed. Also, using it in the air can open a window to crazy out-play scenarios.

Slide. Not as prevalent as I thought compared to the other things shown. Shouldn't exist.

Slam. I think instead of relying on Sprint to make this work, I think it should be what happens if you Thrust directly forward and press the melee button at the same time. It should change to a first person view and be easy to spot and dodge. If it connects, the enemy's shields and half their health is removed, along with a single second stun. However, the connect also means the player has a cool-down animation slightly longer than the enemy stun, to give smarter players a chance to fight back.

Clamber. It is an addition that ruins the skill of tactical jumping, along with spring jumping. I would suggest removing it, and making it instead a different Spartan Ability, Spring. This is activated when you crouch, jump, and press the Thrust button at the same time. The boost of the jump would be a 40% increase, but will make your Thruster cool down after 4 seconds. You reach higher ground at the cost of not using it again immediately.

Smart Scope. As it is now, it could use many changes. I would suggest a Plus/Minus system for each weapon when using Smart Scope, similar to how weapons functioned in H1 when having camo or the ability to stun. Examples would be BR having double the RRR, but you can't see the bottom area of the screen, or AR having a warning light for oncoming enemies but fires slower, etc. Things like that to increase the meta for each individual weapon.

Smash. Very impressed with how it works, but there could definitely be changes. One; instead of have to press the crouch button, I would suggest double tapping the Melee button and then float in the air for 2 seconds searching for a spot to land. Two; it should not kill a target when you land, rather it should copy the same idea for the Slam ability. These changes allow the ability to Ghandi Hop to still exist, and also give a higher risk to the reward.

Additional Changes I would like made.

-Auditory hitmarker along with the visual isn't good. Get rid of that.

-Power Weapon spawns should at the very least be 2 minute intervals.

-Spartans shouldn't be talking constantly. Should only give out callouts every thirty seconds, and only that when the player has no Mic.

-Decrease the amount of medals.

-Decrease the amount of new announcements.

-Remove Hovering while using Smart Scope.

So there you have it. In my opinion, this is what I think should happen. Then H5 can be a really fun game.

I do not like their direction for Halo, but I cannot do anything to change it. So rather than continue to get upset, I accept the reality that there isn't any Halo left after MCC. It's time for me to move on.

It's been fun, but I am done with Halo.

Aloha

I honestly feel the same way buddy :(

I mean I'm personally going to give my feedback when the time comes, but I barely feel like there's any point. Even if a miracle happens and the final version is great due to our feedback, then I still wont feel good about Halo 5 because all I can think of 343 now is that they literally only care about trying to pull in players from the Call of Duty/modern FPS fanbases. It seems to be their only goal with Halo.

One of the lesser talked about aspects of the beta that I think needs to go is in the in-game "spartan talk". There are many ways to make this game at least aesthetically resemble Halo, and right now 343i is objectively ripping out Halo's guts in that regard:

• Spartan "chatter", including things such as "We have the power weapons!"

• Announcement chatter ANNOUNCING the power weapons are spawning 

• The general look of armor feels like it's stuck in Halo uncanny valley. It doesn't feel like Halo, yet looks just close enough that we can tell something is very wrong

• "Prophet's Bane", since Energy sword wasn't cool enough

THE ADS SCOPING, specifically on the pistol

• The odd virtual texture and look of the new map.

• Bigship. Call it Midship all you want, it didn't look like Midship but it's overweight ugly brother.

• The sounds. Every gun sounds like a plinking weapon. There's no power, no personality, no feeling to them. The Prophet's Bane specifically sounds pathetic and horrible. The energy recharge sounds don't bother me as much, but they are annoying.

We don't need these things aesthetically. All they do is take away from the feel of classic Halo--one of the things I would say ABSOLUTELY SHOULD NOT BE TAMPERED WITH

I agree with you on this.

One of the most depressing things for me, watching those Halo 5 videos, is just how much more Halo looks and feels like CoD and other modern FPS games than it ever has. I almost can't even see any hints of Halo in there at certain points.

There are little bleeps and sound effects that SCREAM Call of Duty. The spartan chit chat definitely screams Call of Duty. If you listen closely at certain points, you can even hear "tossing grenade!" in a voice that could have been straight out of a CoD game. Halo is completely losing its identity and it makes me feel sick.

Being a Halo fan is becoming extremely tiring. Worst of all - and this is the thing that really spells doom for Halo 5 if people feel the same way - I'm starting to no longer care about Halo's future. I'm losing the energy that I need as a Halo fan to even care any more. Something about this Halo 5 reveal has left me with a frame of mind where I'm saying "ok, time to move on. Halo is done". I'm trying my best to fight it and to still care so that I can give my best feedback, but I can't help that I'm really starting to just give up on 343 and Halo.

Sure, descope and equal starts are back and that's awesome, but it takes more than guns, grenades, equal starts and descope to make a Halo game.

I'm worried because there are so many things that need fixing and taking out just to make it actually resemble a Halo game. I really can't see them making the significant tweaks that would be necessary for this to be a good. I think it could be done, but I don't think it will be done.

The in-game location call-outs are actually good now though, like blue street/blue two/blue window etc

People are hating on this, but I think this is very useful for matchmaking purposes. I can't tell you how many times I had 2 or 3 players on my team in Halo 4 with no mic? That was one of the reasons why I quit Halo 4 four months in because MM was complete shit if you went in by yourself.

To be honest......this stuff wouldn't be as bad with smaller maps and no sprint.....That's all....it's just the maps are so big man.....

Yeah I didnt like halo 4 because of the big maps

At first when I watched the reveal I didn't know what to think but this seems a lot worse the more I think about it. The worst part is that even with the beta it's very unlikely that they end up removing the new AAs. Maps such as midship are way too big and unless they scale it down we're fucked. A higher skillgap is good but you can have one without everyone getting thruster packs.

The gameplay was not fun to watch btw. Instead of simple halo you had 8 people flying around with all of their AAs. Not to mention that jumping doesn't take skill anymore.

R/halo is giving me cancer. Expect to be down-voted if you're even remotely critical about H5. Also, these pro "ambassadors" for the competitive halo scene are just giving lip service to 343. How could a halo pro say that H5 is heading in the right direction?

I've learned to not bother with that place anymore.

• Upvote (+1) 2

We has a community need to accept change.  The old Halo days are over.  Its hard for me to say it.  Halo 2 was the best fps made to date.  I trust some of the pro's feedback because they actually played the game.  There are some things that shouldn't be in the game like sprint.  But with the changes to it, it shouldn't be has bad.  

We need to give good feedback when the beta comes out.  Saying this shit sucks or halo is cod isn't going to help.  I doubt anything will be removed but we can try and make it more balanced.  Atleast their giving us a beta.

I'm not saying H5 is a perfect game, its far from it but its better than what you guys are making it out to be.  

• Upvote (+1) 1

Is there a point to the BR even being burst anymore?  Looks like a single shot due to how fast it is.

Is there a point to the BR even being burst anymore?  Looks like a single shot due to how fast it is.

There was never a point in the first place. :saucey:

• Upvote (+1) 2

Speaking of :saucey: , can't wait for the next Bomb Planted where it's just two hours of Saucey saying "cheese".

• Upvote (+1) 2

It's actually neither of those things. It is that pros are invested in Halo succeeding regardless of how shitty halo is in the future. About half the pros have virtually no education or real world skills, they're hanging onto halo for as many years as they can because it's all they have going. They do not have a promising career ahead of them and are highly invested in keeping halo going as long as they can, so cognitive dissonance takes over and they justify any of the new shit in the game. They also said reach and halo 4 were amazing, anyone who trusts their opinion or gives this game a chance is just kidding themselves. I would like it to be good too but unless the beta is magically tons of fun, I won't be buying Halo 5.

I liked Reach

BTW BR is still a burst weapon

Right. It's a nice combination of the difficulty of single-shot and the feel of burst-fire.

• Upvote (+1) 1

People there is one thing sprint does that not people seem to address and I think it's the most important to get this information to 343/ 

This shield recharge mechanic still does not fix chasing nor the problem with huge 4v4 maps. As long as your weapon lowers when you sprint, the flow of gun combat is still going to have problems.

There is seriously zero positives sprint adds to the game even with this audition. They need to address the problems lowering your weapon causes to flow of gameplay.

You should be able to shoot 100% of the time no matter what in a Halo game with no interruption to the combat mechanics. People don't seem to be addressing this problem.

• Upvote (+1) 2

My opinion based on what I saw tonight.

Good

- Descope is back (thank the lord)

- Spectator Mode: Great for competitive play, finally Halo can catch up to the 21st century.

Bad

Sprint: Can't say I was not expecting it, but it looks like they budged on Descoping - maybe they will on sprint?  You do not re-gain shields when you sprint however, I noticed that when your shields began to recharge you could still sprint away and they would recharge while sprinting. 

Possible Solutions: 

#1 Remove Sprint.

#2 Players lose health when sprinting - which in turn would lead to a more skillful tactical approach of when to use Sprint and when to accept that you pushed up into a bad spot like a scrublord.

#3 Remove Sprint

Thruster packs: Seemed really OP and almost Advanced Warfare-ish to me - would make shooting someone annoying (which I guess is the point) but I was not feeling it.

Possible Solutions: 

#1 I believe the cooldown on thrusters was (4) seconds? This needs to be upped to a higher cooldown time in my opinion.

#2 Also I think the range at which you travel should be nerfed, nobody wants to fight spiderman in game surfing all over the place.

Ground Pound: Seems overpowered, reminds me of "Supers" from Destiny.  If you played Destiny Matchmaking you know how mind numbing it is to be killed by that nonsense.

Possible Solutions: 

#1 If Ground pound is not difficult to aim with it needs to be nerfed so it is not a 1 hit kill. (which I believe it is from what I have seen)

#2 Hopefully it can be toggled off, or possibly removed all-together, doesnt really seem like a competitive feature to me personally. 

I know it is not "Aim Down Sights" but I did not really like that animation either.  People are just going to instantly compare it to Call of Duty.  343 can say it is not Aim down sights until they are blue in the face but it will not matter. It looks exactly like it.

Possible Solutions: 

#1 Bring back classic zooming

#2 Stay the way it is and deal with the constant Call of Duty comparisons. *Sips double XP Dew*

The bad outweighs the good for me fellas.  Maybe when I actually play the beta in December I will change my mind.

Honestly, the best impressions so far and the most honest one. All the impressions i have read so far felt like they were not 100% honest because they felt careful. You sir put it out there with the "i don't care if the developers sees this" mindset. The pros giving out their impressions did not feel 100% honest because, lets all be serious here. They were being treated like celebrities and are probably afraid of being 100% honest because people from 343 follows their twitter and they want developer support for tournaments.......... or maybe im gassing things and being crazy. Yes i know we need dev support and i want that also. Thanks again Saucey. In you i TRUST.

Well this sucks. If this does not change massively before release this will  be the first halo i will not buy. they know the community doesn't like sprint (casual and competitive) they had taken out of reach and got credit but they Sh1t over us again. For everything good they give us there is 3 sh1tty things (spectator mode then ads,mantle and sprint). GG halo if this all doesn't get fixed, which im 99% sure it wont.

I understand that 343 want to make something new, but they cant take everything from COD, find something by yourself 343!

Yeah, there's been a long CoD thruster and exoskeleton tradition of ONE FUCKING WEEK. This is from Titanfall not CoD.

• Upvote (+1) 4

This could be true of most pros, but I'm pretty sure Gandhi has an actual well-paying job that doesn't rely on Halo even slightly. Fuck, he'd probably do better if Halo failed. But it's true of most pros, yes.

Much of Gandhi's fan base is still back from Halo, he's deeply invested in Halo continuing to succeed and probably gets a descent supplement to his modest income from youtube. So I think he's very invested in not shitting on 343i, he was just INVITED to go to their tournament. That's the equivalent of a politician getting lobbyist money in exchange for a vote. 

So I lurked for about 3 months before this popped up, and I am gonna say a few things. And a  bunch of you are going to get salty on me but whatever.

Sprint: Alot of people don't like it, I understand why they don't like it. But with the new system that doesn't allow shield recharge, we should see sprinting only used to get away in team fights, which is more acceptable than before. It could maybe use some tweeking sure, but they are on the right track for making a balanced sprint.

ADS (Smart Scope?): Smart scope is *technically* something that has been in the halo universe. Spartans have never used the scope, scopes are only there for the marines I guess. Spartan helmets are hooked up to a chip in the weapon, that sends a signals back and forth to update the HUD. So the way they are doing it, tying it into the HUD so you don't actually ADS, is okay. Besides, using ADS on the AR completely bones your turn speed and stuff so it is relatively balanced.

Armor Abilities: I am  happy that everyone has the same things now. The abilities them selves may not be super balanced, but the idea that everyone is the same is what halo was founded on so I am not too upset about the inclusion of thruster pack.

Climbing: About godamn time my spartan can climb up walls. Jesus christ its the future already.

Q~Q doesn't feel like halo.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Yeah, there's been a long CoD thruster and exoskeleton tradition of ONE FUCKING WEEK. This is from Titanfall not CoD.

Exactly.  I'm tired to people saying "CoD" "CoD" every two seconds.  Go play Destiny.  Go play Titanfall.  This shit is in ALL of those games.  This is where Console FPS in general has simply moved to with the introduction of new technology which made it possible to implement these things that they simply couldn't 10+ years ago.

You all need to come to the realization that Console gaming will never be about appeasing to the hardcore audience, or the competitive audience.  It is about shipping units and it always will be that way.  You all expect them to release a re-skinned version of a game that was released 10 years ago...it just won't happen.  Why keep killing yourselves over it? Microsoft will not allow them to go backwards from a mechanics/movement standpoint.  Seriously; if you want to invest yourselves into an FPS game that is built for hardcore play, go buy Counter Strike.

Oh for fuck sake Mike. Take 343's dick out of your mouth. Everytime I watch a spartan slide into cover or clamber over something I want to chop my own dick off. 

In psychology, cognitive dissonance is the mental stress or discomfort experienced by an individual who holds two or more contradictory beliefs, ideas, or values at the same time, or is confronted by new information that conflicts with existing beliefs, ideas, or values.[1][2]

Leon Festinger's theory of cognitive dissonance focuses on how humans strive for internal consistency. When inconsistency (dissonance) is experienced, individuals tend to become psychologically uncomfortable and are motivated to attempt to reduce this dissonance, as well as actively avoiding situations and information which are likely to increase it.[1]

• Upvote (+1) 2