CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

God damn. This video.

~

Totally agree with his thoughts on Sprint + Charge and the double melee issue. It never even occurred to me before.​

I saw it, thought it would be incredibly sarcastic, glad I watched it because his commentary was good.

I disagree with him when he says H5 has trickjumps, if you watched some of the gameplays (especially the better player ones) you see very little trick jumps at all, not to say they don't exist but the reality is that being about to make a trickjump isn't all that impressive anymore because you can just press the clamber button. One could argue that the main point of trick jumps was to get to places faster, and I suppose because of clamber and the verticality of the maps you will see a lot of options in terms of what players can do, but even still those jumps don't really require the same level of skill that jumps in the past used to so it really just becomes a matter of knowing the geometry and where everything is at.

As for what he said with sprint, I somewhat agree. One of the main problems with sprint (and I noticed this more when looking at tourney play) was that from a spectator standpoint its "jarring".

See if you watch all the gameplay videos without sprint you'll see a nice steady and constant speed level where the gameplay appears to have a more discernible flow, in reach/4 you see it go from being one speed to the other which is just obnoxious, especially since although it feels faster you don't actually do much while sprinting so on one side of the gameplay things are intense and the players moves at a slower pace and on the other the player moves fast but the gameplay is just boring.

In halo 5 all the abilities make the gameplay seem much faster (sometimes confusingly so) because players are doing somersaults and flips all across the map, this doesn't look as bad because usually the abilities are used for quick evasive maneuvers (thruster) or for simply getting to places (sprint/clamber/slide) so overall halo 5's gameplay was more enjoyable to watch, it kept a somewhat consistently fast pace.

New Halo 5 gameplay?!?!?!

Pay close attention to the radar. Notice how the red dots only show up when the enemy begins to shoot their weapon, and fade away when no gun is being fired.

• Upvote (+1) 2

haven't seen it, so its probably new, looks like someone's random gameplay though so its likely a leak.

friendly AI's were morons, literally about as useless as they can get. Enemy AI's were ok.

maps seemed more open and less linear than what we saw in 4, which is good.

heroic difficulty? seriously? that guy was scrubs McKenzie for goodness sake, the fact he didn't die on the second highest difficulty (unless you count mythic which I don't) really speaks to how lacking the game is in difficulty.

hope @@Batchford was right about the radar, which would likely mean they would have the same in MP, would be amazing if true.

So, what was wrong with Petra as the main character again? Because honestly, FERO's voice acting isn't doing much for me.

Im not into it. I want ben

That campaign clip was heroic? I normally play easy, and that was easy.  

if it really was heroic I'm worried about legendary.

That's Heroic? The guy wasn't even playing well and he got through practically unscathed.

It seems like the AI hasn't improved that much from Halo 4, either, which is quite disappointing.

And I have to say it, the lack of self-shadowing/ambient occlusion really hurts the game's visuals. And I can't decide what's worse when Halo 4's fake shadows disappeared when you get close, or when Halo 5's fake shadows only show up when you get close. Either way, it's a horrible looking effect.

EDIT: I do appreciate the dynamic score and the fact that the environment at least sort of looks like an actual place, though.

Halo 4's Shotgun had a great sound to it. Although it's possible that the recording there just wasn't portraying the sounds particularly well.

Also, sometimes I think my aim is near the bottom of the food chain in MM. Then I see perspectives like that and remember that I'm just being very hard on myself.