CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Ok guys here are my initial reactions:

When they first showed the SAs on that new map to show them off, I was worried. It looked like a total mess and nothing like Halo.

When they showed Optic vs Str8, it suddenly started to look more like a decent game. The SAs no longer seemed so gimmicky and overly useful. I genuinely believe our feedback can shape this into a good game.

Some feedback I already have for 343:

- Ground pound should only strip shields, considering how it functions

- Include an option to have zoom instead of ADS

- Make sure wall climbing doesn't negate the skill that comes from trick jumping in Halo

Off topic: Nightfall is terrible. I cringed every two seconds. And I personally love FUD to bits.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Well shit, I actually enjoyed watching the beta gameplay and feel it should have been what 343 released for Halo 4.  Shot registration looks even crispier than Halo 4 and that was already good in itself.  That AR needs to be nerfed so fkn much, it's godlier than a MSMC in BOps2.  It seems like with BR/DMR they are harder to shoot than normal, hopefully it stays that way and more aim-assist/magnetism doesn't get added.  Even Roy had trouble with that DMR  :kappa:

I look forward to 343 tweaking the game and look forward to how this game finally pans out after a year of feedback and development.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Some things need to change, I agree with most everyone here, but I think they're moving in a really interesting direction IMO. It at least looks highly competitive... I don't think anyone can argue that.

I don't care if Halo changes.

I grieve when 343 employees are sooooo lacking innovation that they have to recreate a game I don't enjoy playing.

I hope Halo changes so long as it retains that Halo uniqueness across the industry.

And those fat ass maps! WTF?

• Upvote (+1) 1

You hover in the air if you scope while airborne. Not kidding.

Wow....really? This is just a poor attempt to compensate for the polar opposite game-play of R+G gameplay(FREE movement+FREE AIM) with ADS gun sights(RESTRICTED MOVEMENT+RESTRICTED AIM) which DO NOT work well together in any FPS ever made. This is an attempt to make shooting long distance while in the air or jumping half-way possible and to make it easier to track the target. With a scope mechanic no such restriction is necessary.

• Upvote (+1) 1

There is a difference between features, and mechanics. CoD keeps its core mechanics and build on it. We change darastically every release  and no one knows what the fucking game really is now.

CoD keeps it core mechanics? You're literally flying around in the air in the new CoD.  That is the equivalent of H5 featuring underwater gameplay.  At no point in time has CoD had any sense of vertical gameplay, with it being a "realistic" shooter.  They went from no vertical gameplay to guys flying 20 feet up in the air.

Also, they have Camo in the new CoD.  Get my point?

Its not them that doesn't get it, its you and all of us.

This is the reality of next-gen hardware.  There is so much technical hardware advancement that has occurred, that we're at the point where game developers feel inclined to add in all these new "features" that they simply COULDN'T before because otherwise it would set the impression that they made a dated game.  I'm talking about stuff like the Mantle that you see.  In past FPS games that feature simply wasn't possible because the hardware didn't allow them to execute it...now we're in 2014 and there is an added push to show off 2014 technology.  Those of you expecting a simple Halo game should just quit, it simply won't happen.  You need to come to grips with the fact that this is a AAA  title with a TV show, books, toys, etc, etc.  They're not going to make a game that plays like a game released 10+ years ago where all you can do is walk, jump, shoot, and throw grenades.  They will put in a bunch of new "flashy" elements (thrusting, climbing, variable HUD displays, etc) because there is an expectation that this game needs to show off NEXT GEN technology and gameplay mechanics.  That is what console gaming is about.  You can't have Destiny and CoD showing off guys flying around in the air, double jumping, "cool looking" field of sight elements etc. while you release a game in which your character walks, jumps, shoots, and uses a HUD system from 2004.

I don't like it, you don't like it, but thats how it has to be when you're making Microsoft's AAA cash-cow.  Period.

I agree 100%. If people don't want to give Halo 5 a shot just stick with MCC and play the old Halo's that are most dear to you. I'm keeping an open mind.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'll get neg bombed hard for this, but this actually looks like a reasonable evolution of Halo. I will wait until I play it to see if it plays well, but it actually kinda looks good.

I would really, really like it if they removed ADS as that is strictly not Halo. Sprint looks odd, I'd much rather it gone but it doesn't look awful like Halo 4.

I'm not really sure how I feel. I don't want Halo 2: 2015 or Halo 1: 2015, as I already have MCC and that literally fills that niche in. Halo 5 had to be different and at the moment I will remain open minded. Not overly optimistic as it looks very modern and interesting. We'll see how it rolls. If the beta is crap I'll hop on the ragetrain as fast as anyone else here.

Upvoted comments like this is what allows shit to stand.

Guys, we have to be honest with our selves. They will NOT take sprint ect. out. It's now apart of the game and the map design and we've have to do is just work with what we got. IMO I think it looks decent. Shootings supposedly as hard as ever, and the pro's seem to think its good (although after what happened with h4 id take this with a pinch of salt) + we get spectator mode. And really some of those abilities look very situational/not that useful. If they're is a nerf to that one shot ground pound thing then it might actually be rather good. Some people are already saying their enjoying it more than h4 AND reach. But I guess we'll have to wait for the beta to find out.   

Everything is so questionable. Why can't we have some FUCKING news that makes us say "Whoa! You added what we wanted and made it better!"

Well put
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I'll be honest. At first I thought it was terrible, but the more I look at the gameplays, and the more I read about it...makes me feel like it's fun.

Can't believe people are even comparing this to H4 or HR. You can tell this is better:

1) Lower aim-assist. Guns take skill.

2) No armor abilities/loadouts.

3) No random/personal ordnance.

4) No bloom.

5) Fewer defensive abilities.

6) Faster gameplay.

Smart-scope needs to be taken out - that's adding the COD feel too much for me. The beta will help work things out.  :weback:

• Upvote (+1) 2

There is a difference between features, and mechanics. CoD keeps its core mechanics and build on it. We change darastically every release  and no one knows what the fucking game really is now.

CoD went through it's own changes. It had no sprint to begin with in the earlier CoDs and now AW has thrusters on the characters. Games need to innovate in order to sell. 

Can't believe people are even comparing this to H4 or HR. You can tell this is better:

1) Lower aim-assist. Guns take skill.

2) No armor abilities/loadouts.

3) No random/personal ordnance.

4) No bloom.

5) Fewer defensive abilities.

6) Faster gameplay.

Smart-scope needs to be taken out - that's adding the COD feel too much for me. The beta will help work things out.  :weback:

One word - sprint.

We are most definitely not back.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

After calming down a bit, I can see some of the new mechanics working after beta feedback. maybe. The one thing that really did bother me though is the game sounds. They're so acute, to the point of actually hurting at loud volumes. It sounds like everything is beeping.

Well shit, I actually enjoyed watching the beta gameplay and feel it should have been what 343 released for Halo 4.  Shot registration looks even crispier than Halo 4 and that was already good in itself.  That AR needs to be nerfed so fkn much, it's godlier than a MSMC in BOps2.  It seems like with BR/DMR they are harder to shoot than normal, hopefully it stays that way and more aim-assist/magnetism doesn't get added.  Even Roy had trouble with that DMR  :kappa:

I look forward to 343 tweaking the game and look forward to how this game finally pans out after a year of feedback and development.

This.

Clearly this isn't a Halo game.

With that said, I'm going to try to look at this as a new IP. It does look like a pretty enjoyable game and I can tell there's at least somewhat of a skill gap.

• Upvote (+1) 1