CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

According to the impressions article posted on Beyond, you can't crouch in the air anymore at all. If you're high enough and press crouch you do a ground pound, if you're not high enough you just fall to the ground.

• Upvote (+1) 1

IF 343 broke off from Microsoft and made a game called "the guardians" and this came out, I would've thought , cool game, would be fun to try.

If people were to ask me what game I was playing, i would reply "Guardians, Halo has nothing to do with this"

• Upvote (+1) 2

After seeing the uploaded footage, the only thing i still don't like is Sprint. I just don't think it works - it isn't about balance, but the fact that it stretches out maps. I also don't like the visual/aural spam from the HUD and announcer. 

Everything else looks interesting, if not better than Reach and H4 at the very least. It'll probably be good if kill times are quick and strafe is fast. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

I ain't even mad. Halo 4 killed any hope I had for new Halo titles, and I fully expected this.

I'm happy and thankfull I'll be playing some classic Halo on XBL soon.

Can't rustle these jimmies

• Upvote (+1) 2

Did anyone notice how none of the pros tried to "Smart-scope" while jumping? Could this be because its just clunky as hell trying to R+G with an ADS gun-sight? I am sorry but I cant stand how clunky the mechanic looked on a movement-oriented map like Mid-ship it was cringe-worthy to watch. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Going to try and sleep.

I'm done with 343. And I think I'm done with the fake ass Pro gamers. You should here them on the streams talking about how it's good JUST LIKE HALO 4! Then when it launches and people start hating it they'll act like they hated it the whole time. Fucking politicians.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Kind of sad that these pros will sellout for a paycheck. I get they probably don't have much say in the mechanics but to just sit around and watch is sad.

• Upvote (+1) 1

who cares. I am not bashing the game, but how can anyone say the game looks good after that. They were fucking CLIMBING walls. The map based on midship was HUGE. And now you have directional thrusters like COD, and our pro's are bullshitting about the game. Halo is officially over.

Uh-huh...

How do I say this in a 'nice' way? I don't want to be inflammatory. 

You're just acting like a completely arbitrary fanboy who thinks the validity of a game hinges upon its alienation from other games. Reality check, there are no original ideas in the world. There are only enjoyable and unenjoyable combinations of ideas. If you legitimately believe this combination of ideas is not going to be enjoyable, I can see why. This IS different from traditional Halo, but it isn't just magically NOT Halo because of features you arbitrarily decide aren't Halo-esque. 

If you're weary about vaulting ledges (distinctly different from climbing walls), I can understand. I personally think it will be balanced because you can still shoot with unimpacted accuracy, but you're vulnerable during the second that you do vault. You know, people hopping up top mid on Midship, from the bottom? They grab on, they're vulnerable. They're going to get whacked in the face by the butt of a gun. 

These 'CoD thrusters'? No. The ONLY good AA to come out from the Reach-4 fiasco was thruster pack...and so Halo has had this thruster since before CoD took to it. It was even first person originally during development but 343i thought it better to put to third person on launch. 

I want to take your and other classic fans' opinions seriously, but I can't when all I hear is "IT'S NOT HALO". 

When I hear people hoot and holler about this new 'ADS', Smart Scope, I don't understand. It is an aesthetic difference. While it is indeed a small way to 'modernize' the game for a newer audience, it's still only in appearance. The mechanics of it are the same. 

By this logic, the outrage of aesthetic, it not being 'Halo', everyone should have been up in arms about the EOD helmet or Hayabusa armor in Halo 3. They look like Stormtroopers and Ninja Gaiden respectively. It's a silly example but an accurate one. 

Halo multiplayer in my eyes has been for the most part, is supposed to be, and looks like in the future will be a skill based competitive arena shooter with equal starts. Reach, H4? Bloom, spawning with instant kill weapons? That is against the core of Halo multiplayer. Bloom was flawed to make for uncompetitive gunplay, and let's not talk about the Boltshot. 

But H5? It LOOKS hard to aim, everyone spawns equally, and there are arena maps. The questionable mechanics look like they don't inhibit skill and hard to execute. You literally take a two second pause in the air to ground pound, announcing to the enemy, "HEY, SHOOT ME!" Stuff like that. Even then it has to be a very close hit to work.

So please, you, and all the other naysayers, give a negative opinion that doesn't entail complaining about it 'not being Halo'. Halo is a competitive skill based arena shooter. It's looking like we have that right now. Is your pride going to be hurt if it has a feature in common with another game? Does it make you feel less valid? THOSE are not valid opinions. 

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

After checking these forums almost religiously since this sites inception and the first forum I've ever bothered to post in i think I'm done with this community. I hope 343 just ignores reading these post honestly. Y'all need to just admit y'all won't be happy unless it's carbon copy of halo 1/2. (Halo 2 was my first love btw)

Clearly there's some things that need to be tweaked and will be but this game has the potential for a huge skill gap and looks Very fast paced.

I can't wait to play the beta and I'm going with hold my opinion of it till I get to play it.

Keep an open mind! We are getting to play the game a year before it comes out so there will be time to make changes

Here, you forgot:

- "You just need to adapt"

- "You just can't handle change"

- "You're just blinded by nostalgia"

- "Halo needs these features (i.e. mimic CoD) to move forward"

• Upvote (+1) 4

Did anyone notice how none of the pros tried to "Smart-scope" while jumping? Could this be because its just clunky as hell trying to R+G with an ADS gun-sight? I am sorry but I cant stand how clunky the mechanic looked on a movement-oriented map like Mid-ship it was cringe-worthy to watch. 

You hover in the air if you scope while airborne. Not kidding.

Call me crazy, but aside from a small handful of questionable mechanics, the game looks awesome. Next-gen Halo.

You're crazy.

• Upvote (+1) 6

I still don't understand why 343 can't just take everything they added in this game and just create a new ip with it...

Would actually be interesting, and it wouldn't come with all the expectations associated with Halo

And don't say its because the halo name sells; if that was true, then they wouldn't have to change so many things in the first place

• Upvote (+1) 1

I was watching this at the MS Store midnight launch for MCC.

Everyone was like "This looks SICK" or "This Is Destiny but better"

I just to play it

Beta is not the big picture. The fact 343i even did this is the big picture. Shows they don't get it.

343i simply does not have the capability to make a good Halo game. 

Its not them that doesn't get it, its you and all of us.

This is the reality of next-gen hardware.  There is so much technical hardware advancement that has occurred, that we're at the point where game developers feel inclined to add in all these new "features" that they simply COULDN'T before because otherwise it would set the impression that they made a dated game.  I'm talking about stuff like the Mantle that you see.  In past FPS games that feature simply wasn't possible because the hardware didn't allow them to execute it...now we're in 2014 and there is an added push to show off 2014 technology.  Those of you expecting a simple Halo game should just quit, it simply won't happen.  You need to come to grips with the fact that this is a AAA  title with a TV show, books, toys, etc, etc.  They're not going to make a game that plays like a game released 10+ years ago where all you can do is walk, jump, shoot, and throw grenades.  They will put in a bunch of new "flashy" elements (thrusting, climbing, variable HUD displays, etc) because there is an expectation that this game needs to show off NEXT GEN technology and gameplay mechanics.  That is what console gaming is about.  You can't have Destiny and CoD showing off guys flying around in the air, double jumping, "cool looking" field of sight elements etc. while you release a game in which your character walks, jumps, shoots, and uses a HUD system from 2004.

I don't like it, you don't like it, but thats how it has to be when you're making Microsoft's AAA cash-cow.  Period.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

There was no bloom on the DMR it was basically the ZB DMR from HR.

Hmmm... let me try again..

He was praising how hard it was to aim.

I said that bloom made it hard to aim.

Now do you see what I was trying to say?

If I wanted to play not Halo, wouldn't I just play not Halo?

343 is so determined to make not-Halo. Game looks like Call of Duty in space with Spartan armor. Is it so hard to ask for an arena console FPS from the Halo franchise? Actually sad that MCC may be my last Halo purchase in a long while. Halo 5 doesn't look fun at all.

• Upvote (+1) 2

You're crazy.

Some things need to change, I agree with most everyone here, but I think they're moving in a really interesting direction IMO. It at least looks highly competitive... I don't think anyone can argue that.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Its not them that doesn't get it, its you and all of us.

This is the reality of next-gen hardware.  There is so much technical hardware advancement that has occurred, that we're at the point where game developers feel inclined to add in all these new "features" that they simply COULDN'T before because otherwise it would set the impression that they made a dated game.  I'm talking about stuff like the Mantle that you see.  In past FPS games that feature simply wasn't possible because the hardware didn't allow them to execute it...now we're in 2014 and there is an added push to show off 2014 technology.  Those of you expecting a simple Halo game should just quit, it simply won't happen.  You need to come to grips with the fact that this is a AAA  title with a TV show, books, toys, etc, etc.  They're not going to make a game that plays like a game released 10+ years ago where all you can do is walk, jump, shoot, and throw grenades.  They will put in a bunch of new "flashy" elements (thrusting, climbing, variable HUD displays, etc) because there is an expectation that this game needs to show off NEXT GEN technology and gameplay mechanics.  That is what console gaming is about.  You can't have Destiny and CoD showing off guys flying around in the air, double jumping, "cool looking" field of sight elements etc. while you release a game in which your character walks, jumps, shoots, and uses a HUD system from 2004.

I don't like it, you don't like it, but thats how it has to be when you're making Microsoft's AAA cash-cow.  Period.

There is a difference between features, and mechanics. CoD keeps its core mechanics and build on it. We change darastically every release  and no one knows what the fucking game really is now.

• Upvote (+1) 1

After checking these forums almost religiously since this sites inception and the first forum I've ever bothered to post in i think I'm done with this community. I hope 343 just ignores reading these post honestly. Y'all need to just admit y'all won't be happy unless it's carbon copy of halo 1/2. (Halo 2 was my first love btw)

Clearly there's some things that need to be tweaked and will be but this game has the potential for a huge skill gap and looks Very fast paced.

I can't wait to play the beta and I'm going with hold my opinion of it till I get to play it.

Keep an open mind! We are getting to play the game a year before it comes out so there will be time to make changes

bye

This thread is just frustrating me at this point.  Stop being a cult and think about what you saw for just a couple minutes.  I was disappointed (not surprised) when I saw the vidoc, but when I saw the show match it actually looked pretty good.  Most of the spartan abilities are VERY situational aside from maybe the thruster.  The only ability that I'm not on board with is climbing, but who knows - that's what the beta's for. 

I'm not really trying to flame you guys because I love all the interaction and feedback on here.  We just need to stop publicly slandering our game.  We want Halo to be successful, but if literally every pro/personality that us randoms look up to bashes the game non-stop, even we won't want to play it.  I personally can't wait for the beta! Plus MMC IS OUT WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!11!!!!!11!  :chiefdancing:  :chiefdancing:  :chiefdancing:

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1