CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

One of my biggest gripes with this game is the hitmarker indicators when you land a shot instead of actual visual feedback like a shield pop.

It makes guns like the pistol so utterly incoherent to shoot, there's no muzzle-to-helmet tactile continuity that a player can use to make shooting the gun coherent and adjust their aim accordingly.

Absolutely. I think Reach had this spot on. The shields were clear and made it obvious ho much they had left. When they were no-shields, it was also obvious with the static and blood.

It was shit in Halo 4 and it's shit now.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I still want 343 to go with static weapon spawns across the board, if they think weapons like the shotgun would be overwhelming they could just give it less spare ammo

I'd rather have static timers across the board as well, but I can see the logic in keeping dynamic timers for Tier 2 weapons.

In the beta, Eden had an issue with there being too many Energy Swords on the map at a time.

The Shotgun and Energy Sword are on the lower end of the power weapon scale, since they are fundamentally limited to close range.

They're still sought by individual players, but entire teams aren't going to fight for them like they would a Rocket Launcher or Sniper Rifle.

Having a 120 second timer on the Shotgun is too long, considering its weakness, whereas keeping it at 60 seconds means that too many of them will be on the field at once.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I can not believe they decided to replace Thorne with Buck. Buck is one of the worst halo characters ever. He is so hollywood and unrealistic. In odst when he drops onto New Mombasa while the covenant is attacking Earth and what is he busy talking about? HIS RELATIONSHIP. I mean get real, your planet is being attacked and that is not what you will be discussing. And that's not the only part, there were a bunch of really cheesy and poorly written scenes in ODST. It just seemed so fake to me.

Thorne has proven to be a really cool character. I loved his backstory in the comics, with the violin. Really moving story.

I really wish 343industries would have kept Thorne and not included Buck, but I guess they are really trying to bring Buck back seeing as how they made a whole book about him. It was a short novel but still I don't think the character is good enough to merit a novel.

I love how the same people who bitch and moan about others being closed-minded and intolerant of differing opinions, turn right around and downvote an opinionated yet harmless post that doesn't jive with their crappy lore hivemind. Way to go kids!

I somewhat agree about ODST, but only about the Dare/Buck scenes. Those were really clunky and were completely out of place given the shit that was going on in New Mombasa right above their heads. The rest of the scenes were very well done though. Dutch, Mickey, and black guy (Romeo I think?) were fine, and I thought they nailed the abadoned city sections with the rookie.

No feelings one way or the other about Thorne/Buck. Buck is cheesy as hell and a typical Hollywood stock character, but that kinda makes sense in the video game industry nowadays since it's all becoming a crappy offshoot of the film industry. I don't read the books, but Thorne was just kinda there in Spartan Ops. Definitely seemed likeable compared to the rest of Majestic though, which was comprised of obnoxious fuckfaces.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 3

I still want 343 to go with static weapon spawns across the board, if they think weapons like the shotgun would be overwhelming they could just give it less spare ammo

The shotgun's effective range was slightly lowered and it only has 5 bullets in just 1 magazine (I think it was Josh Holmes who tweeted that)

and yes I agree there should also be less ammo.

EDIT: Here is the tweet.

https://twitter.com/JoshingtonState/status/629711647070908417

How is the sniper not important enough?

Because it takes a good degree of skill to use and doesn't make the wielder's life that much easier.

The proof is in the pudding. The sniper has never drawn the same kind of attention as something like the rockets.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Because it takes a good degree of skill to use and doesn't make the wielder's life that much easier.

The proof is in the pudding. The sniper has never drawn the same kind of attention as something like the rockets.

Just because they aren't as sought after as the rockets doesn't mean they are heavily sought after. The sniper is probably the second most important power weapon and is definitely big enough to be in the middle of the map IMO. That gameplay doesn't really do it justice since a lot of people seemed clueless.

Just because they aren't as sought after as the rockets doesn't mean they are heavily sought after. The sniper is probably the second most important power weapon and is definitely big enough to be in the middle of the map IMO. That gameplay doesn't really do it justice since a lot of people seemed clueless.

No, it's not important enough to be the focal point of the map. The only weapons in H5 (that we've seen) that justify that treatment are the rockets, incin cannon, prophets bane, and maybe the SAW.

But sure, why put one of those in top middle when we could bend over backwards keeping the sniper top mid because reasons?

• Upvote (+1) 1

No, it's not important enough to be the focal point of the map. The only weapons in H5 (that we've seen) that justify that treatment are the rockets, incin cannon, prophets bane, and maybe the SAW.

But sure, why put one of those in top middle when we could bend over backwards keeping the sniper top mid because reasons?

I think the sniper is without a doubt more important than prophets bane and the SAW.

I think the sniper is without a doubt more important than prophets bane and the SAW.

Let's see, one gives you a speed boost just for holding it and has a huge lunge range, the other is automatic, has a giant clip, and is obscenely strong in Halo 5. Yet the sniper is more important than both because... why again?

Let's see, one gives you a speed boost just for holding it and has a huge lunge range, the other is automatic, has a giant clip, and is obscenely strong in Halo 5. Yet the sniper is more important than both because... why again?

1sk and 2sk potential at all ranges. That's a pretty huge reason. The Prophets bane isn't exactly sought after the way rockets are either. So by your logic we should have rockets on Midship because more people will fight over it. The sniper is easily a top tier power weapon.

1sk and 2sk potential at all ranges. That's a pretty huge reason. The Prophets bane isn't exactly sought after the way rockets are either. So by your logic we should have rockets on Midship because more people will fight over it. The sniper is easily a top tier power weapon.

Yeah, "potential" isn't good enough. Sorry.

The bane is certain death if you're close enough to your opponent and don't dash at them in a straight line like a schmuck.

Rockets on Truth would be fine. Truth is a far cry from Midship, it might be best for the game to not pretend like it's good ol' Midship in H5.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

The bane is certain death if you're close enough to your opponent and don't dash at them in a straight line like a schmuck.

Rockets on Truth would be fine. Truth is a far cry from Midship, it might be best for the game to not pretend like it's good ol' Midship in H5.

I'm just gonna politely disagree with you and move on homie.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

It depends on your team comp.

If you've got someone who's good at landing headshots, then it's definitely a high-priority power weapon alongside the Rocket Launcher.

Even without an aiming god, the one-shot shield clear and the no-shield executions makes it an excellent support weapon.

In comparison, the Prophet's Bane can be kited if the user is spotted by their target. Like most close ranged weapons, it's best used as an ambush weapon, so against a team with good map awareness, it's much less useful.

I still have these massive gripes regarding the current sniper... and nothing has been said about it.

1) Recoil. It's so massive and makes the sniper so counter-intuitive. What gives? It's one of the big reasons the Halo 4 sniper was often described as "heavy" and "clunky", because you're fighting against the gun as opposed to using it like an extension of your own body.

4d7b69c08fcdee8073bb7a95afc6d542.png

2) Sniper scope glint + Lens Flare = ??? When has Halo ever needed this?

c6a84020343c90c909335c9a9b956387.gif

No offense intended 343, but these are ALL the wrong approaches to making sniping more difficult. If you want it to be hard to get kills, reduce bullet magnetism (WAY TOO HIGH) instead of blinding people and/or making them fight with the gun. This stuff is just a bunch of weird handicaps.

Well, looking at the recoil, it seems to be visual only. Your shot hits where you initially aim, your reticle goes up, then back down, and by then you're ready for another shot, due to the lowered firerate. Don't see how that's a handicap, or somehow makes it more difficult. Didn't Halo 3's Sniper Rifle have visual recoil as well to some degree?

Towards the flashlight. I mean, is that blinding? Really? I may just be playing too much Battlefield (Actually, haven't played in a month) but that's far from blinding. My main issue towards it would be that it could possibly reveal your position more easily, especially if you're camping in the back of a map. 

Finally, to the high magnetism; I think it's very possible that the opposing player meleed, and the subsequent animation dipped his head in front of the reticle, rather than bullet magetism being entirely on the player's side. You see a LITTLE lunge, right before his shields pop, leading me to believe that's the case. :P

• Upvote (+1) 2

It depends on your team comp.

If you've got someone who's good at landing headshots, then it's definitely a high-priority power weapon alongside the Rocket Launcher.

Even without an aiming god, the one-shot shield clear and the no-shield executions makes it an excellent support weapon.

In comparison, the Prophet's Bane can be kited if the user is spotted by their target. Like most close ranged weapons, it's best used as an ambush weapon, so against a team with good map awareness, it's much less useful.

Maps aren't put together based on team comp. And apparently I need to reiterate that the sniper doesn't make the user's life easier to the degree that a super weapon should.

Still haven't heard a good reason why the sniper should be the main power weapon on Fathom!

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I don't think people are using the plasma caster right. It has two functions, the normal firing mode with multiple projectiles that bounce and a charged shot. I have hardly seen anyone use the charged shot. Also god forbid we have a power weapon that requires some skill to be effective with.

Hydra's useless.

Shrug.  I guess I just felt it would be useful from that highground.

What would you put up there in place of the sniper?

No, it's useless to you. I've seen people effectively use it, and I myself have used it as well. It's really viable when placed in the right hands.

No, it's useless period. The time it takes for the weapon to lock on, and then for the missiles (which have minimal splash damage) to travel to their target, in a game where everyone can sprint and thrust and there are random sightline blockers everywhere, makes it completely impractical in a real match unless you're facing the 2Devs of the world.

Shrug.  I guess I just felt it would be useful from that highground.

What would you put up there in place of the sniper?

When in doubt, rockets.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Why didn't they just brought back the Rail Gun instead?

-Skill requirement

-Useful in all ranges

• Upvote (+1) 3

Why didn't they just brought back the Rail Gun instead?

-Skill requirement

-Useful in all ranges

It's in the game, it was in some leaked screenshots a while back. Don't know what if anything has changed since Halo 4 though.

It's in the game, it was in some leaked screenshots a while back. Don't know what if anything has changed since Halo 4 though.

Cool

liked that gun