CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Didn't see this posted yet 

I wish they would get rid of music during the match or let us change that in our settings. Super annoying.

• Upvote (+1) 2

It looks like post-gamescom, the plasma caster was changed to fire a single shot when charged up, as opposed to unloading the entire clip.

That or Towey has an extremely advanced shooting technique.

EDIT: Still doesn't seem enough to justify the plasma caster being the main power weapon on that map...

One of my biggest gripes with this game is the hitmarker indicators when you land a shot instead of actual visual feedback like a shield pop. 

It makes guns like the pistol so utterly incoherent to shoot, there's no muzzle-to-helmet tactile continuity that a player can use to make shooting the gun coherent and adjust their aim accordingly. 

Absolutely agree. Hitmarkers are not only redundant in Halo, they obfuscate the visual feedback that shields provide. When you're shooting someone with an automatic, especially the SMG, the hitmarkers aren't just unhelpful; they're downright disorienting. And with precision weapons, as you mention, they muddle the feedback that shields have always provided, while adding zero discernible benefit (outside of appeasing the mythological horde of potential COD converts).

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Absolutely agree. Hitmarkers are not only redundant in Halo, they obfuscate the visual feedback that shields provide. When you're shooting someone with an automatic, especially the SMG, the hitmarkers aren't just unhelpful; they're downright disorienting. And with precision weapons, as you mention, they muddle the feedback that shields have always provided, while adding zero discernible benefit (outside of appeasing the mythological horde of potential COD converts).

The hitmarkers as is are annoying, but I don't find them to take away from the shield flicker. It's just another pointless change.

343 kinda went balls to the wall with visual feedback, like there's shield flicker, hitmarkers, AND beeps for when get the kill. We don't need all that.

I'm okay with hitmarkers.

It lets you know when you hit someone with a nade.

Each to your own, I guess.

That's exactly why I hate them. Players should use their eyes to see if they're hitting something, the hitmarkers just takes all the knowledge out of that.

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 1

From a spectator's perspective, hitmarkers are great, especially on nades. 

They can be pretty annoying on autos or high ROF guns. 

From a spectator's perspective, hitmarkers are great, especially on nades.

But if you didn't see it, did it really happen?

I still have these massive gripes regarding the current sniper... and nothing has been said about it.

1) Recoil. It's so massive and makes the sniper so counter-intuitive. What gives? It's one of the big reasons the Halo 4 sniper was often described as "heavy" and "clunky", because you're fighting against the gun as opposed to using it like an extension of your own body.

4d7b69c08fcdee8073bb7a95afc6d542.png

2) Sniper scope glint + Lens Flare = ??? When has Halo ever needed this?

c6a84020343c90c909335c9a9b956387.gif

No offense intended 343, but these are ALL the wrong approaches to making sniping more difficult. If you want it to be hard to get kills, reduce bullet magnetism (WAY TOO HIGH) instead of blinding people and/or making them fight with the gun. This stuff is just a bunch of weird handicaps.

@@Sal1ent help

P.S. I apologize for posting a lot of images

Blinding makes it just as difficult to see your target as a noob.

Magnetism makes it just as easy for a noob to hit the target as you.

Is there a pattern here?

• Upvote (+1) 2

I can not believe they decided to replace Thorne with Buck. Buck is one of the worst halo characters ever. He is so hollywood and unrealistic. In odst when he drops onto New Mombasa while the covenant is attacking Earth and what is he busy talking about? HIS RELATIONSHIP. I mean get real, your planet is being attacked and that is not what you will be discussing. And that's not the only part, there were a bunch of really cheesy and poorly written scenes in ODST. It just seemed so fake to me.

Thorne has proven to be a really cool character. I loved his backstory in the comics, with the violin. Really moving story.

I really wish 343industries would have kept Thorne and not included Buck, but I guess they are really trying to bring Buck back seeing as how they made a whole book about him. It was a short novel but still I don't think the character is good enough to merit a novel.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 12

I actually disagree about the shield flash/flare. 

It's honestly one of the best visual effects Halo 5 has going for it and is super addicting. It reminds me of how addicting it was to shoot in H2 and how disappointing it was to shoot in H3 (up until the last shot). 

I DO agree about those ridiculous GIF-life hitmarkers though. They need to do it like it was initially, far away from the reticle and just 4 static lines. 

I wish they would get rid of music during the match or let us change that in our settings. Super annoying.

From what I understand, there are full video/audio settings in Halo 5 where you can change brightness, music volume, effects volume, voice-over volume, MP team chatter, audio source, and also add subtitles.

ohUpX66.png

I don't know if this is very accurate, it could be fake. Also it's about a month old image.

Please let me know.

Also, you can hear footsteps in the water around 2:40 of Toweys video. nice touch.

Also, no kill or assist medal is really throwing me off.

They need to add 'em again. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Blinding makes it just as difficult to see your target as a noob.

Magnetism makes it just as easy for a noob to hit the target as you.

Is there a pattern here?

To me the mechanics just seem like they contradict one another.

From what I understand, there are full video/audio settings in Halo 5 where you can change brightness, music volume, effects volume, voice-over volume, MP team chatter, audio source, and also add subtitles.

ohUpX66.png

I don't know if this is very accurate, it could be fake. Also it's about a month old image.

Please let me know.

It is legit.

I can not believe they decided to replace Thorne with Buck. Buck is one of the worst halo characters ever. He is so hollywood and unrealistic. In odst when he drops onto New Mombasa while the covenant is attacking Earth and what is he busy talking about? HIS RELATIONSHIP. I mean get real, your planet is being attacked and that is not what you will be discussing. And that's not the only part, there were a bunch of really cheesy and poorly written scenes in ODST. It just seemed so fake to me.

Thorne has proven to be a really cool character. I loved his backstory in the comics, with the violin. Really moving story.

I really wish 343industries would have kept Thorne and not included Buck, but I guess they are really trying to bring Buck back seeing as how they made a whole book about him. It was a short novel but still I don't think the character is good enough to merit a novel.

I'm sorry that a character can be human during the war.

John 117 feared for the galaxy learning of Halo's true purpose.

Cortana expressed nothing but sheer contempt towards 343 Guilty Spark for reasons anyone would.

Keyes' knew how desperate the situation on the Pillar of Autumn was. Do you know the importance of the Cole Protocol? He still needed the Master Chief, because one man can't do everything at once. Rank doesn't exclude reliance on others when its most appropriate.

Veronica Dare isn't a pushover, but that doesn't mean she doesn't have a heart. Same goes for Buck.

Thel isn't entirely at peace with the humans, but he understands as much as anyone that killing in the name of an iconoclastic faith only causes extinction of either race.

Sergeant Johnson endured a failed Flood Infection, which the memory you'd know would burn into his conscience until that day he died defending the Master Chief.

Noble Six/B312 understood the dangers of attempting to flee from a Covenant Flagship without a solid defense, and stayed behind to sabotage a glassing cannon.

So why exactly should any fictional character not have human emotion?

/Sappy Nerd Rant

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Two things (said em both before but might as well say it again!)

1) That weapon placement is painfully bad.

Sniper = Not important enough to be the main power weapon.

Caster = Not a power weapon at all, has very little practical use in the game.

OS = That random cylinder you threw in each corner because you had no clue what to do with that part of the map is NOT a power position. You shouldn't be trying to draw players there.

2) Halo 5 team slayer is borderline unwatchable.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 3

I still want 343 to go with static weapon spawns across the board, if they think weapons like the shotgun would be overwhelming they could just give it less spare ammo

• Upvote (+1) 3

Two things (said em both before but might as well say it again!)

1) That weapon placement is painfully bad.

Sniper = Not important enough to be the main power weapon.

Caster = Not a power weapon at all, has very little practical use in the game.

OS = That random cylinder you threw in each corner because you had no clue what to do with that part of the map is NOT a power position. You shouldn't be trying to draw players there.

2) Halo 5 team slayer is borderline unwatchable.

How is the sniper not important enough?