CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Still give fewer shits than all of Taco Bell.

Thanks for your ever so valuable opinion. I'll be sure to punch my self in the face while watching the new footage tomorrow so you're happy.

• Upvote (+1) 4

If we were to start talking about a certain thing that starts with an "n", I think that he could be able to get out of it now.

"No-sprint playlist"?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Um. No. Every source of lore places Spartan 2s well above 3s and considerably above 4s. And the augmentations you mentioned are just biologically grown organs like stomachs, and lungs, that let them eat shit and breathe better. That's absolutely nothing compared to the titanium exo skeleton of the S2s. Even their strength augmentations and training are so far past S4s that there's no way to even compare the two breeds of soldiers for anyone who has read the books.

Um. No. There's literally nothing to support the idea that IIs were superior to IIIs, outside of the IIs GENERALLY having higher quality genes. But then there's of course the CAT-IIs, or Spartan-IIIs with the genetic quality of a II, aka, Noble Team. And the IIIs were trained by Kurt, one of the Spartan-IIs who was considered to take the place that John would eventually fill as the leader of all the Spartans. Then there's Mendez, the same person who trained the IIs originally. While they could not train the kids for as long, Kurt planned to make the training even more intensive to compensate for this.

...Titanium exoskeleton? You realize that you just described the MJOLNIR armor, right? Right? That's not an augmentation, any more than getting in a car is. And I never said the IVs weren't weaker than the II when it came to physical strength, since they have been shown to be leaner when compared to IIs of similar height. Thing is though, this unspecified muscle enhancement procedure has been described in a very similar way to muscular augmentations from previous works, where the muscles become so powerful, they would pulverize their own bones into dust were it not for the reinforcements given. The only difference is that they don't give us a defined boost in strength, but it's worth mentioning that if a IV's That's what you meant, right? The IIs, like every other Spartan, had their skeletons reinforced to make them unbreakable. Initiation changes it to "virtually unbreakable", but in Blunt Instruments, a Spartan-II breaks his leg, so it would appear that the whole "unbreakable" thing wasn't true for the IIs either.

Halo fans REALLY love to put an emphasis on the IIs being trained when they were children, but as anyone who has ever done anything can tell you: experience trumps training. Now, of course, the IIs have plenty of both, but I think it would be a disservice to only attribute their skills to their training (don't forget the IIs were schooled, almost as much if not exactly as often as they were trained). Especially when they've mostly been fighting the Covenant, an enemy they've NEVER trained to combat. And the IVs that deserve to be IVs, like Buck, have a wealth of experience as well (he even fought alongside the Master Chief once. Don't ask me when that happened, New Blood doesn't care to explain that either), and the fact that he's an ODST turned Spartan means that he's gone through not one, not two, but FOUR separate training regimes. Boot Camp, training for whatever Special Forces unit he had to join prior to becoming an ODST, ODST training, and Spartan training after being augmented. And have you heard about what they do in SF training? And for how long they actually train? It's nothing to wag a stick at.

At this point, I think the greatest advantage that the II's training has given them is their familiarity and synergy with the other members of their unit, given that they practically all grew up together. I definitely think this is Blue Team's greatest strength when compared to Osiris, who don't seem to trust each other that much. I mean, one of the first things they showed off in the Campaign Demo was Buck telling Locke that Sprint sucks right to his face.

Wait...

Thanks for your ever so valuable opinion. I'll be sure to punch my self in the face while watching the new footage tomorrow so you're happy.

I'm already punching myself in the face. Continuosly. I could use the company. ^_^

But I'm sorry. I meant about the Halo 5 announcement in general, not about how excited everyone else is for it.

• Downvote (-1) 2

Um. No. There's literally nothing to support the idea that IIs were superior to IIIs, outside of the IIs GENERALLY having higher quality genes. But then there's of course the CAT-IIs, or Spartan-IIIs with the genetic quality of a II, aka, Noble Team. And the IIIs were trained by Kurt, one of the Spartan-IIs who was considered to take the place that John would eventually fill as the leader of all the Spartans. Then there's Mendez, the same person who trained the IIs originally. While they could not train the kids for as long, Kurt planned to make the training even more intensive to compensate for this.

...Titanium exoskeleton? You realize that you just described the MJOLNIR armor, right? Right? That's not an augmentation, any more than getting in a car is. And I never said the IVs weren't weaker than the II when it came to physical strength, since they have been shown to be leaner when compared to IIs of similar height. Thing is though, this unspecified muscle enhancement procedure has been described in a very similar way to muscular augmentations from previous works, where the muscles become so powerful, they would pulverize their own bones into dust were it not for the reinforcements given. The only difference is that they don't give us a defined boost in strength, but it's worth mentioning that if a IV's That's what you meant, right? The IIs, like every other Spartan, had their skeletons reinforced to make them unbreakable. Initiation changes it to "virtually unbreakable", but in Blunt Instruments, a Spartan-II breaks his leg, so it would appear that the whole "unbreakable" thing wasn't true for the IIs either.

Halo fans REALLY love to put an emphasis on the IIs being trained when they were children, but as anyone who has ever done anything can tell you: experience trumps training. Now, of course, the IIs have plenty of both, but I think it would be a disservice to only attribute their skills to their training (don't forget the IIs were schooled, almost as much if not exactly as often as they were trained). Especially when they've mostly been fighting the Covenant, an enemy they've NEVER trained to combat. And the IVs that deserve to be IVs, like Buck, have a wealth of experience as well (he even fought alongside the Master Chief once. Don't ask me when that happened, New Blood doesn't care to explain that either), and the fact that he's an ODST turned Spartan means that he's gone through not one, not two, but FOUR separate training regimes. Boot Camp, training for whatever Special Forces unit he had to join prior to becoming an ODST, ODST training, and Spartan training after being augmented. And have you heard about what they do in SF training? And for how long they actually train? It's nothing to wag a stick at.

At this point, I think the greatest advantage that the II's training has given them is their familiarity and synergy with the other members of their unit, given that they practically all grew up together. I definitely think this is Blue Team's greatest strength when compared to Osiris, who don't seem to trust each other that much. I mean, one of the first things they showed off in the Campaign Demo was Buck telling Locke that Sprint sucks right to his face.

Wait...

he told locke off real good...
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Will we ever get a trailer as good as this

I still get goosebumps from that trailer.

• Upvote (+1) 3

According to the halo wiki "An average SPARTAN-IV in GEN2 MJOLNIR armor can take on an average SPARTAN-II in GEN1 MJOLNIR armor and has the capability of being a little better off due to the GEN2 armor being more advanced. However, without armor, SPARTAN-IIs are superior to most Spartan IVs"

Put in the same armor the S2's would win..

• Upvote (+1) 1

I mean campaign really isn't something you do a beta for, right? A demo, that is understandable though. 

After the disaster of MCC I'm sure 343 goes as far as testing their damn coffee machines.

Ok, so excuse my ignorance, I've been a little bit out of the loop for the past few months...

Didn't we all - the hardcore AND casual community, unanimously decide the "flagnum" was an absolutely horrible idea, had no place in Halo and everyone on 343 responsible for the flagnum should leave game development forever?

Or am I just dreaming?

I'm playing catch up on H5 info and I'm seeing videos of Spartans running around with a flag in one hand and a magnum in the other...

So I guess my favourite gametype, CTF is dead again for Halo 5. Yay.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Ok, so excuse my ignorance, I've been a little bit out of the loop for the past few months...

Didn't we all - the hardcore AND casual community, unanimously decide the "flagnum" was an absolutely horrible idea, had no place in Halo and everyone on 343 responsible for the flagnum should leave game development forever?

Or am I just dreaming?

I'm playing catch up on H5 info and I'm seeing videos of Spartans running around with a flag in one hand and a magnum in the other...

well, you can't sprint, your movement is slowed, and there's no auto pick up, so it really isn't an issue.

Or am I just dreaming?

It's not as bad as it was...

you can flag juggle, auto-pickup is off, and you can only thrust/clamber/ground-pound w/ flag - no sprint. 

Or am I just dreaming?

You can flag run again

The Flagnum concept is indeed still in the game, but the Flag is now juggle-able, and is "hold to pickup" once again. While holding it, you can Thrust, Clamber, and Ground Pound with it.

Yes, I get this, but what made CTF in Halo so good was the fact that the game essentially turned into a 3v4 when you were running the flag and you had to rely on your team mates to defend you. With the power of the magnum this is now a non-issue.

It completely changes what CTF in Halo unique to begin with.

I always liked how Halo CTF rewarded the more intelligent teams with better strategies... Now it looks like it's just going to turn into Team Slayer with flags.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

It's not as bad as it was...

you can flag juggle, auto-pickup is off, and you can only thrust/clamber/ground-pound w/ flag - no sprint.

Yea being able to run the flag normally is a plus, but overall the flagnum is more overpowered now than it was in 4. Now that everyone has a magnum, and you can use SA, the only disadvantage is movement speed. You basically can run the flag with no problem because you still keep your primary weapon out, the same one everybody has.

Yeah, flag runner is OP now. Which is why touch-return should be in the game...

Touch return depends on the map. I think on larger maps (Such as Sanctuary) it's better for the flag to be on a small timer otherwise the game will never end. On smaller maps like Midship touch return is definitely better.

Touch return depends on the map. I think on larger maps (Such as Sanctuary) it's better for the flag to be on a small timer otherwise the game will never end. On smaller maps like Midship touch return is definitely better.

There are so many more flag routes now w/ clamber + thrust, that I could see touch return working on big maps. 

Especially since a spawn trap on a big map will put the defending team further away from the flag carrier than on a regular map. 

Also, from r/halo,  :weback: n5G6Hgm.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 2

I hate sprint, I should never have to put my gun down.

I hate thruster, I should never have to put my gun down.

I hate clamber, I should never have to put my gun down.

BUT!

I hate flag running, I should have to put my gun down.

:kappa:

:kappa: 

• Upvote (+1) 1