CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Well if we're on the subject of how the game looks (yet again), one thing that's been bothering me for the longest time with this game is how the materials look. It's very clearly starved for more polygons and the textures look really inconsistent (running at 60FPS on XB1 hardware probably isn't helping), but I feel like if the materials were more accurate, the game would look a lot better.

I also saw someone on another forum bring up a really good point regarding the environments: they look like jungle gyms rather than places where people work or go about their day, like they're designed for the solely for player.

X1OaPib.jpg

C'mon Oni, you're not gonna at least put railings on the walkways? What's with the giant vision obstructing tubes, too? Not even gonna widen the walkway around the tubes to avoid any mishaps? No wonder the place is abandoned if you don't value worker quality of life SMH.

(That's disregarding the artistic failings of the screenshot too, but I've ragged on 343's art enough :P)

So...many...dissonant...colors choices...

You've got the blue seeping in from outside, the red bathing the round structure in a nice crimson glow - but then you have the green on completely the opposite end of the visible light spectrum fucking the nice red up. Oh, and there's still the yellow-ish/white-ish ornaments below the green as though there wasn't enough light assaulting your eyes. If Halo 4 is anything to go by - they'll all come with lens flares too. Bright, happy lens flares of terrible color combinations shooting sparks into your wide, panicked, watering eyes.

I mean, it's vertical. That's good. It's just butt ugly.

I guess it should be no secret why Splitscreen's been cut. The Xbox One has a hard time trying to blast those four gross explosions into just one screen at 60 FPS.

• Upvote (+1) 2

So...many...dissonant...colors choices...

You've got the blue seeping in from outside, the red bathing the round structure in a nice crimson glow - but then you have the green on completely the opposite end of the visible light spectrum fucking the nice red up. Oh, and there's still the yellow-ish/white-ish ornaments below the green as though there wasn't enough light assaulting your eyes. If Halo 4 is anything to go by - they'll all come with lens flares too. Bright, happy lens flares of terrible color combinations shooting sparks into your wide, panicked, watering eyes.

I mean, it's vertical. That's good. It's just butt ugly.

I guess it should be no secret why Splitscreen's been cut. The Xbox One has a hard time trying to blast those four gross explosions into just one screen at 60 FPS.

not to mention the size of this one section, it looks fucking huge.

not to mention the size of this one section, it looks fucking huge.

It seems that way. One of the ViDOCs showed Banshees flying around that area. I wonder if you can go out to the asteroids...

Are those all the arena maps we will be getting at launch? I hope there are more, so far pretty much every map looks like it takes place in the same setting. Where is the variety? They all look like they are in a city.

I know what you mean by this.. there are only squares and circles with a 90* degree angle, from the ground and up, everywhere. There isn't a base like snowbound, or a rock that has an angle that is between 0 and 90 degrees. 

The obvious reason for this is that they don't have it because of clamber. 

It makes it look cityish and ugly, and most of all, not real. 

It's almost like you can remake all the maps in halo 5 by using foundry. Squares and circles.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It seems that way. One of the ViDOCs showed Banshees flying around that area. I wonder if you can go out to the asteroids...

What do you mean by around? Are we talking *inside* the structure or a good, proper space battle?

What do you mean by around? Are we talking *inside* the structure or a good, proper space battle?

It seemed like it was within the physical bounds of the station, but there was still a good amount of space to maneuver. Then again we only got a glimpse of it ,so I wouldn't make any concrete judgements.

It seemed like it was within the physical bounds of the station, but there was still a good amount of space to maneuver. Then again we only got a glimpse of it ,so I wouldn't make any concrete judgements.

Ah. Thanks.

That is a LOT of cylinders and circles.

Sigh. The console got a little bit better, so we're able to push the polycount just a little higher... and next thing you know, everything is round without the slightest regard for previous designs.

Can't wait for my grenades to bounce at all sorts of unpredictable angles. Can't wait at all.

I guess at this point I just need to get better and throw my grenades right at the floor.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Sigh. The console got a little bit better, so we're able to push the polycount just a little higher... and next thing you know, everything is round without the slightest regard for previous designs.

Relevant

bf9e231018a67a164bec20f5370298af.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 8

The lack of Railings is very Combine-Like. Disregarding rudimentary occupational safety.

I swear to god. If this is what happened to Half Life 3...

The lack of Railings is very Combine-Like. Disregarding rudimentary occupational safety.

Let's not even get started on all those random explosive barrels scattered about...OSHA would be livid at their failure to follow basic storage protocols.

It's very simple, just like all previous Halo's (expect 4), but it isn't really noob friendly, since theres barely any auto-aim in it.

They took two steps backwards with the magnetism.

They took two steps backwards with the magnetism.

in the beta it was pretty high. Doesn't seem bad now though.

Just played a game of Infection on H2A and wasn't getting any medals lol.

343 have listened. You hate medal spam? Let's just remove them completely!

Just played a game of Infection on H2A and wasn't getting any medals lol.

Was the killfeed working?

343 have listened. You hate medal spam? Let's just remove them completely!

Funny thing is, they started working right at the end.

Cant remember, why?

Saw someone playing it the other day and there was no killfeed and I don't remember seeing any medals. Might be a gametype thing?

Why have we not been hearing new stuff about halo 5?

Game is probably going gold pretty soon. They've run out of "innovation" to impress us with and now they actually have to finishing the freaking thing.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Why have we not been hearing new stuff about halo 5?

IGN First for September is all but guaranteed.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Ok because it seems like we are pretty close to release. Just seems like we should have more info on stuff like playlists etc...

Ok because it seems like we are pretty close to release. Just seems like we should have more info on stuff like playlists etc...

We didn't learn playlists for MCC until a month from release and even then, we were given an old list which 343 later updated.