CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

"Dark", not seeing it.

I also forgot they revealed all the arena maps :/

All they need to do is show off more shit like that desert/temple campaign level and stuff like coliseum and regret.

There's plenty of variety. 4-5 of the arena/war zone maps are human themed, that's alright.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The military base on that arctic mountain ridge reminds me of the Operation ANCHORAGE DLC from Fallout 3... At least, in a too-clean way.

The covie maps look great imo, as does colosseum. The human art looks good in moderation, plaza looks good, so does fathom, the rest just seem redundant.

The covie maps look great imo, as does colosseum. The human art looks good in moderation, plaza looks good, so does fathom, the rest just seem redundant.

The Covenant maps are properly creepy.

The military base on that arctic mountain ridge reminds me of the Operation ANCHORAGE DLC from Fallout 3... At least, in a too-clean way.

I got a hoth esque vibe.

343's environmental artists must have been depressed when designing the multiplayer maps. Every map so far is dark, dingy and depressing.

You describe most of halo 4 maps.

Well if we're on the subject of how the game looks (yet again), one thing that's been bothering me for the longest time with this game is how the materials look. It's very clearly starved for more polygons and the textures look really inconsistent (running at 60FPS on XB1 hardware probably isn't helping), but I feel like if the materials were more accurate, the game would look a lot better.

I also saw someone on another forum bring up a really good point regarding the environments: they look like jungle gyms rather than places where people work or go about their day, like they're designed for the solely for player.

X1OaPib.jpg

C'mon Oni, you're not gonna at least put railings on the walkways? What's with the giant vision obstructing tubes, too? Not even gonna widen the walkway around the tubes to avoid any mishaps? No wonder the place is abandoned if you don't value worker quality of life SMH.

(That's disregarding the artistic failings of the screenshot too, but I've ragged on 343's art enough :P)

• Upvote (+1) 9

Well if we're on the subject of how the game looks (yet again), one thing that's been bothering me for the longest time with this game is how the materials look. It's very clearly starved for more polygons and the textures look really inconsistent (running at 60FPS on XB1 hardware probably isn't helping), but I feel like if the materials were more accurate, the game would look a lot better.

I also saw someone on another forum bring up a really good point regarding the environments: they look like jungle gyms rather than places where people work or go about their day, like they're designed for the solely for player.

X1OaPib.jpg

C'mon Oni, you're not gonna at least put railings on the walkways? What's with the giant vision obstructing tubes, too? Not even gonna widen the walkway around the tubes to avoid any mishaps? No wonder the place is abandoned if you don't value worker quality of life SMH.

I agreed until your second argument..

I can go on and on listing things past halos had that made no sense when it comes to maps and logical construction... The cat walk on countdown for example.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Are those all the arena maps we will be getting at launch? I hope there are more, so far pretty much every map looks like it takes place in the same setting. Where is the variety? They all look like they are in a city.

Are those all the arena maps we will be getting at launch? I hope there are more, so far pretty much every map looks like it takes place in the same setting. Where is the variety? They all look like they are in a city.

there's 14 arena maps. We don't know if forge maps count, but I doubt it.

I agreed until your second argument..

I can go on and on listing things past halos had that made no sense when it comes to maps and logical construction... The cat walk on countdown for example.

Well obviously gameplay comes first, I don't want to discount that, but a lot of games I feel have struck a nice balance between what makes sense from a gameplay standpoint and purely a spacial/structural one (Dishonored is a good example).

That level was of a single player level though, obviously with multiplayer maps such as Countdown (ugh) you do what you gotta do.