CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Art Style for me: H3>H5>H1>H2>H4

H1's is great, but it does have some pretty mundane looking places and a lot of the areas are reused so it doesn't have much variety.

Empire, Coliseum, Regret all look beautiful. 

You know what basically wowed me? The E3 campaign demo. Sanghelios looks gorgeous.

• Upvote (+1) 1

You know what basically wowed me? The E3 campaign demo. Sanghelios looks gorgeous.

Yeah, it did look really good. 

I can see them clearly? The one on the left you can clearly tell it's an elite what with the stance, model and armour lights. The one on the right because of the blue and armour.

That's fine dude, so can I. But this isn't about me or you. This is about the new kid who isn't familiar with the Halo series and its enemies. It's about Big Name Let's Player on Twitch or YouTube who has no idea what an Elite is and his about to have his ass handed to him by not knowing these dudes will pretty much one or two hit melee you to death and then complain to his huge fanbase that the game is dumb because he has no clue what just happened. It's about whoever's eyesight might not be as good as it used to be and they're just walking into one of the most deadly enemies without knowing it.

This game shouldn't be designed for the few people who are familiar and experienced with it. Otherwise MP would be very, very different.

• Upvote (+1) 1

At one point in particular, the player goes from being pretty much blinded from a plasma grenade, to being in a room so dark that they can't even see their weapon. If not for the fact that the Elites are sitting on mounted turrets shooting at you and your allies light up their shields by shooting back, they would pretty much be hiding in plain sight. Then it transitions to the Banshee part where light is bouncing off walls so brightly, that you can hardly tell it's because there's fire burning right next to it. The environment just feels incredibly detailed and busy, yet there's also very little to visit or look at.

The second and third were both very easy to see with sunlight shining on my monitor, and you wouldn't believe how bad my eyes are(Tested with glasses on and removed). In the game, it would be even easier as the lights on the elites would be moving around and the Banshee would be flying all over.

I'd say H2A H5 and even HR are my top choice for art style.  Reach is a weird one though depending on the maps it can look absolute shit or very pleasing to the eye imo. The map Tempest, Highlands, and the Installation 04 firefight map are great examples of some of the colorful art in Reach.  Tempest is by far my favorite map to look at in any Halo game.  I think most people overlook these maps in Reach when comparing art styles.

Edit: and of course Headlong is gorgeous.

• Upvote (+1) 1

That's fine dude, so can I. But this isn't about me or you. This is about the new kid who isn't familiar with the Halo series and its enemies. It's about Big Name Let's Player on Twitch or YouTube who has no idea what an Elite is and his about to have his ass handed to him by not knowing these dudes will pretty much one or two hit melee you to death and then complain to his huge fanbase that the game is dumb because he has no clue what just happened. It's about whoever's eyesight might not be as good as it used to be and they're just walking into one of the most deadly enemies without knowing it.

This game shouldn't be designed for the few people who are familiar and experienced with it. Otherwise MP would be very, very different.

True. But new players are more likely to play on an easier difficulty than you and I would.

Bungies Halo's not cartoony? Um....Halo 3 was a damn cartoon and I much prefer it that way. Fuck realism. I've had enough of that shit. Embrace some creativity. Jesus. Halo 5 is nothing like cartoony and I hate it. Too much details on stupid crap like lens flairs, grit, and beams of realistic light.

The originals never had to do this shit. The maps were bright and you could see where the hell you were and where you were going. All that matters. The very fact were talking about graphics now shows how ass backwards everything has become. Ridiculous

When you justify sprint with immersion you gotta keep it consistent throughout the game I guess.

From Reddit in a discussion of crouch jumps etc:

51ABmdB.png

For a split second I thought he was going in a different direction after the second sentence. I need to stop having faith in people.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

I'd say H2A H5 and even HR are my top choice for art style.  Reach is a weird one though depending on the maps it can look absolute shit or very pleasing to the eye imo. The map Tempest, Highlands, and the Installation 04 firefight map are great examples of some of the colorful art in Reach.  Tempest is by far my favorite map to look at in any Halo game.  I think most people overlook these maps in Reach when comparing art styles.

Edit: and of course Headlong is gorgeous.

Reach's art is very well done. Everything on the planet itself looks great, but on top of that it actually looks alive, like it's a part of an actual world that is actually populated and used. And they didn't have to overdesign the ever-loving fuck out of it to achieve that effect. The polar opposite of H5. Those environments look like they just randomly popped into existence, with the possible exception of Fathom.

Another thing I enjoy about Reach's art; the contrast between UNSC aesthetics and covenant aesthetics. Reach looks alive and active, and a result of that is those structures are dirty, gritty, rusted, aging and imperfect. Then you get plopped onto a covenant ship and that shit just jumps right out because everything is purple/teal/pink, vivid, and squeaky clean, everything the planet you just came from is not. It's not relatable, but it's not supposed to be because it's a fucking alien ship. The covenant stuff is so detailed yet so easy on the eyes at the same time. As far as I'm concerned the ship in the campaign as well as Zealot are two of the crowned jewels of Halo aesthetics. Now look at fucking Truth. It looks nice in concept art. In-game it looks washed out, stained, and shitty. Budget cuts in the holy covenant?

True. But new players are more likely to play on an easier difficulty than you and I would.

You don't get it.

• Upvote (+1) 7

H1's is great, but it does have some pretty mundane looking places and a lot of the areas are reused so it doesn't have much variety.

I agree 100%

• Upvote (+1) 1

Spot on.

• Upvote (+1) 3

It wasn't. The old story was that Jason Jones secretly tweaked the Pistol to a 3SK (likely from a 4SK, looking at the clip size and the kill time of the AR) right before the game went gold; this is incorrect.

I have to brush up on the details of what happened, but I know there was a debate concerning the balance of weapons in campaign and multiplayer, likely because a 3SK deathcannon would let players blaze through the story missions way too fast, so in the end Hardy just made entirely separate weapon values for the multiplayer portion of the game. He said his biggest regret was not giving the Pistol more bloom when it fired fully auto because it was something from campaign he thought would make multiplayer too easy, but I assured him that no one in his right mind holds down the trigger.

It's funny to think that even if the Pistol hadn't been changed to a 3SK and it killed one or two shots slower, it still would be the best utility weapon in the series. The only one, still.

According to this he added a line of code near the end to change the pistol once a map was loaded.

Secretly probably not, but he did change it.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2013/07/07/bungie-co-founder-halo-and-destiny-creator-jason-jones-breaks-11-year-silence

(Sorry for mobile)

As a lore fan, I think I'm always going to enjoy Reach's art style the most (barring the horrendous motion blur), since it looks more practical, and emphasizes the "military" part of Halo's status as a "military sci-fi" story, without becoming dull and lifeless. Well, the Forge maps are pretty dull and lifeless, but that's thanks to how there's nothing but gray-blue blocks to choose from.

That being said, there's no reason why we couldn't have simple, colorful maps in multiplayer. Hell, since the multiplayer is canonically a simulation, it's not like the maps ALWAYS have to look like some real location. In fact, I've always found it odd how in Halo 2 and onwards, the maps were always meant to represent actual, canonical locations in the Universe, no matter how "gamey" the layout was. Sometimes the layouts fit the descriptions, but not always. Like, you can try to tell me that Hang Em High is actually some Forerunner transportation facility all you want, but it's ALWAYS going to look like a big paintball arena to me.

But yeah, if the UNSC are using these War Games maps in a variety of training locations (since Vale participated in a War Game prior to becoming a Spartan, we know that it's not something limited to the Infinity), why would the people who make these maps (as in, the people in the universe, not 343) intentionally limit themselves to areas that exist, when they could also create completely new and unique arenas?

You could argue that real world locations would give the participants experience in working in, well, realistic scenarios, but I doubt something like Slayer, a mode where you respawn a few seconds after death and generally don't need to communicate with your team that much, would prepare a soldier for war either, and yet, that's still in the game.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Reach has the best graphics, by far. Just look at the detail and richness of everything...maps, vehicles, Spartans. A definite upgrade to Halo 3's great graphics. It's too bad that they forced all of these ugly forge-world maps into matchmaking instead of the DLC maps. It's been 5 years, can't they just make the DLC maps free now and require players to have them for all playlists? I don't know why 343 is too lazy to update the game when it has higher population than Halo 4. It wouldn't even be that difficult, just remove most forge-world maps and let us play the DLC maps everyone has been longing to play.

I greatly prefer Halo Ce's simplistic art style, but really I'm content with anything that isn't the super-shiny vision of The 4 and beyond.

H1 = H3 > CEA = HR > H2 > H4

Actually the reason I like Halo 3's art style so much is that to me it feels very derivative of Ce.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Reach has the best graphics, by far. Just look at the detail and richness of everything...maps, vehicles, Spartans. A definite upgrade to Halo 3's great graphics. It's too bad that they forced all of these ugly forge-world maps into matchmaking instead of the DLC maps. It's been 5 years, can't they just make the DLC maps free now and require players to have them for all playlists? I don't know why 343 is too lazy to update the game when it has higher population than Halo 4. It wouldn't even be that difficult, just remove most forge-world maps and let us play the DLC maps everyone has been longing to play.

You say that like they're still updating Halo 4.

Their focus is on the Xbox One.

Why? Because 343 doesn't care about Halo Reach beyond probably allowing backwards compatibility on the Xbox One. They have other games to focus on.

You say that like they're still updating Halo 4.

Their focus is on H5.

FTFY

• Upvote (+1) 1

Their focus is on the Xbox One.

I know, but they haven't updated Reach since before Halo 4 came out 3 years ago. Many thousands of people still play Halo Reach, so why not let them play all of the maps? How hard and time consuming would it be to make the DLC free and mandatory and remove most of the ugly forge-world maps? It wouldn't be. I'd like to see other changes to Reach as well, but this would be something that would be simple to do and improve the game quite a bit.

I know, but they haven't updated Reach since before Halo 4 came out 3 years ago. Many thousands of people still play Halo Reach, so why not let them play all of the maps? How hard and time consuming would it be to make the DLC free and mandatory and remove most of the ugly forge-world maps? It wouldn't be. I'd like to see other changes to Reach as well, but this would be something that would be simple to do and improve the game quite a bit.

Because money is money. Besides, people may buy the DLC when backwards compatibility comes. Companies very rarely, if ever, release DLC for free just because it's old.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Because money is money. Besides, people may buy the DLC when backwards compatibility comes. Companies very rarely, if ever, release DLC for free just because it's old.

Bungie did it with Halo 2...and when it wasn't even that old. Plus they actually GAVE us 2 free maps on top of that just for playing the hell out of their game. Even if they refuse to make the maps free, at least make them mandatory to have in matchmaking. Game is 5 years old, their is no excuse not to have the maps by now if you're still playing it.

Bungie did it with Halo 2...and when it wasn't even that old. Plus they actually GAVE us 2 free maps on top of that just for playing the hell out of their game. Even if they refuse to make the maps free, at least make them mandatory to have in matchmaking. Game is 5 years old, their is no excuse not to have the maps by now if you're still playing it.

I was unaware of H2. Maybe it simply has to do with the fact that they don't care/ it's not their game? Making DLC mandatory would probably only decrease the player base that still remains. I doubt people would pay $45 just to keep playing Reach. But I do understand what you're saying. I just don't think there is enough of a demand for Reach for 343 to care. 

According to this he added a line of code near the end to change the pistol once a map was loaded.

Secretly probably not, but he did change it.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2013/07/07/bungie-co-founder-halo-and-destiny-creator-jason-jones-breaks-11-year-silence

(Sorry for mobile)

I guess the stories don't conflict, then, sorry that I remembered it incorrectly. This was probably the point where they decided they didn't need to meet halfway for the requirements of campaign and multiplayer. I'm glad the two modes diverged and we weren't stuck with one experience that didn't make sense on any specific level. If only 343 doubled down on their idea to make Warzone and Arena different experiences....