CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

The smart scope on every gun literally is ADS in every way. About two months ago I went like 4 weeks or so straight of only playing destiny, no Halo whatsoever. When I came back to Halo, despite the fact that I had been gaming frequently, my aim was all over the damn place. I just got used to aiming down sight with every gun and it slows down your sensitivity to a point where its easy to make minute adjustments. Coming back to Halo there wasn't any of this, even weapons that did have zoom (BR, Carbines) didn't behave like ADS. I think that moment alone made me realize how significant a mechanic like ADS reduces the skill gap of an FPS, you turn quickly when you need to and then just hold down the trigger when you want that crazy precision. The fact that the default scheme for H5 has zoom on LT tells me all I need to know. It's not just getting rid of the binoculars, it literally makes every gun easier to use. Do you see how differently the H5 BR turns when zoomed in compared to not being zoomed. It's like flipping between 8 and 1 sensitivity.

Honestly I find it strange that anyone could defend "smart scope". The gimmicky double firing modes and accuracy bonuses aside, it just flat out makes everything easier to use.

I didn't notice any sensitivity fluctuation in the beta. The only bad things about it are the reduced visibility and accuracy bonus. One of those was already done away with based on new footage.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

The smart scope on every gun literally is ADS in every way. About two months ago I went like 4 weeks or so straight of only playing destiny, no Halo whatsoever. When I came back to Halo, despite the fact that I had been gaming frequently, my aim was all over the damn place. I just got used to aiming down sight with every gun and it slows down your sensitivity to a point where its easy to make minute adjustments. Coming back to Halo there wasn't any of this, even weapons that did have zoom (BR, Carbines) didn't behave like ADS. I think that moment alone made me realize how significant a mechanic like ADS reduces the skill gap of an FPS, you turn quickly when you need to and then just hold down the trigger when you want that crazy precision. The fact that the default scheme for H5 has zoom on LT tells me all I need to know. It's not just getting rid of the binoculars, it literally makes every gun easier to use. Do you see how differently the H5 BR turns when zoomed in compared to not being zoomed. It's like flipping between 8 and 1 sensitivity.

Honestly I find it strange that anyone could defend "smart scope". The gimmicky double firing modes and accuracy bonuses aside, it just flat out makes everything easier to use.

"Literally is ADS in every way" 

LOL NO. Spread bonuses have been addressed, and there's no movement change  :lxthul:

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

H2A graphics >>.

Also not liking ads on guns that dont need them like shotty, pp, ar, smg and whatever weapon 343 stupidly puts them on. Why the fuck does the sword have a scope on it?

To each their own. I don't see the point on putting scopes on stuff that don't need a scope. The Sword, the Shotgun, the Boltshot, the Plasma Pistol, etc. I didn't find the binoculars ugly at all, it gave you a small 2x view without making your weapon more powerful.

The main problem with binocular zoom was its inconsistency and jarring nature. For the most part, it was essentially useless since firing your weapon would just pop you back into a non-zoomed state, adding to that jarring nature.

This may be an #immersion argument, but I feel that it's still very valid one.

Personally, I like having ADS on weapons didn't traditionally zoom simply because it looks good. I won't use it, but I'm sure that others like Machinima makers will.

Remember that not everyone in the Halo community is a competitive player. Removing ADS to cater to them is the opposite of what needs to happen.

Having a purely aesthetic zoom is a good compromise that addresses all of the competitive problems without screwing over the Machinima people who want to take advantage of it.

The main problem with binocular zoom was its inconsistency and jarring nature. For the most part, it was essentially useless since firing your weapon would just pop you back into a non-zoomed state, adding to that jarring nature.

This may be an #immersion argument, but I feel that it's still very valid one.

Personally, I like having ADS on weapons didn't traditionally zoom simply because it looks good. I won't use it, but I'm sure that others like Machinima makers will.

Remember that not everyone in the Halo community is a competitive player. Removing ADS to cater to them is the opposite of what needs to happen.

Having a purely aesthetic zoom is a good compromise that addresses all of the competitive problems without screwing over the Machinima people who want to take advantage of it.

They should have just left the zoom how it was in the classic halos. Then we wouldnt have this stupid problem in the first place.

I'd rather have that than pointlessly shoving scopes on guns which don't need to be scoped and giving half of them bonus traits.

Cant it be useful to lower the sens atm? Its more of a 'why not' feature and I think its pretty silly to dislike such a thing that makes no bad difference.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I demand scopes on my grenades.

As a matter of fact, Smart Scope™ has been implemented on grenades, it's visible from kill feeds.  :kappa:

894154f10a6c381a645258bf76abe216.gif

• Upvote (+1) 4

I think Halo 5 looks fantastic but it does not respect the former art style.....

and the red and blue color fucking sucks 

• Upvote (+1) 1

The art style is like if halo went to Asia. It's very eastern in certain ways. Like I see halo in it, but it's definitely distorted. Halo 3 is definitely my favorite in terms of art, h5 is pretty good though, better than h4 I think.

I miss the good ol' days of Halo CE where you could actually see people.

Then Halo 2 came along and since then, things have only been getting less and less visible.

The art style is like if halo went to Asia. It's very eastern in certain ways. Like I see halo in it, but it's definitely distorted. Halo 3 is definitely my favorite in terms of art, h5 is pretty good though, better than h4 I think.

Agreed, the older armors had a more western feel like how Mark V and VI are look motorcycle helmets. Halo 4 armors all look like Power Ranger super villian rejects.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Agreed, the older armors had a more western feel like how Mark V and VI are look motorcycle helmets. Halo 4 armors all look like Power Ranger super villian rejects.

the 4 had mostly awful armor. Halo 5s look much better, Athlon, centurion(body), noble, and Bucks armor are all really good.

I wasnt a fan of halo 4's armor at all. I did like the venator helmet though. Halo 5 seems to be better. Im hoping we can use blue team and osiris team helmets

Now if we could get rid of that colored under suit

coloring undersuits is something that could've been a part of player customization had 343 not gotten lazy with that aspect of the game.

Sidenote you have a thing for italicizing game titles? Some grammar rules I never really took to heart

Can't, and don't wish to argue anymore, but yes, I do. It mainly stems from my Wiki work. Two of them have to do with both dinosaurs and video games, so I've had to regularly italicize species names and game titles. It's a habit now, which is good.

This topic onH5 art is actually really interesting so sorry that I'm going back to this lol

I think there should be a strong distinction when talking about how the game is aesthetically and the games graphics. Using aesthetics/art and graphics interchangeably is IMO an incorrect way to use the terms. Aesthetics of the game I would say give the "feel" of the game. This would include music, animations, character models, armor models, environments, sounds, voices, etc, Mass Effect for example, has a really good aesthetic feel to it that it's a high sci-fi game with how the music sounds, the alien voices, etc. Graphics are about polygons and other technical stuff. High graphics aren't good aesthetics, anyone remember Halo Reach's Forge? How grey it was? Would you personally have a forge system like Halo 3s, even if it's weaker graphically? I would

Now that I got that out of the way, does H5 have a "Halo" feel to it specifically aesthetically? Throw gameplay out of this as it doesn't matter, but does the games aesthetics remind you a lot of Halo? Personally I don't see it, the only iconic thing from H1-H5 is the AR. Every human weapon  just looks very bland (Looking at those new rockets in h5 and the Pistol). I will give 343i the Promethean aesthetics, as those are a bit original and interesting IMO. However, I think the covenant look isn't that good in this game (especially the weapons) and the human weapons look even worse. IDK about spartan models to give a good opinon on them personally, or the animations.I dunno about the music and the voices seem pretty good so far. My verdict on the game doesn't "feel" aesthetically Halo to me. 

Now personally, I don't mind a ton if the games aesthetics aren't "Halo". What I do mind is aesthetics, which I'm not sure 343i has a theme for or not. Speaking of which, what was h4s supposed to be? 

• Upvote (+1) 2

I don't get that comparison each and every time it's made. Power Rangers villains look very different from one another, some look armored up like a Gundam, others look organic and alien. The villains in the show hold more of a similarity to Godzilla monsters/allies, such as Jet Jaguar, or Megalon over a Spartan-IV. *Shrug*

• Upvote (+1) 2

didlL0y.jpg

Wait, you guys are actually having trouble seeing the 2 blue teammates in this image? Step up your immersion. This is a realistic war simulator from the year 3057. If your enemies didn't try to camouflage themselves, it would break the immersion, thus breaking Halo 5.

War is 99% finding your enemies, 1% actually fighting them. About damn time Halo 5 stepped it up to that formula.

• Upvote (+1) 9