CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

specifically with the laser, a beam with immense power just sounds like it's from a stock sci-fi sound library. it's to the point that it sounds like the stereotype of a sci-fi laser beam than something with character. 

it may be a bit harsh but it's like conker reunion on project spark, some say it's nice to have something conker related but overall it just feels quite soul-less in comparison.

lighting in games these days feels like the over done digital art we see today, it's too soft and over-rendered at the expense of style, personality and clarity.

• Upvote (+1) 1

1) he's really high up, go onto H3 on most maps (specifically Avalanche) and do the same thing 

2) It's a compressed YouTube video. Again, it won't like anything like that on your HD screen with the actual game. 

I mean, I get what you're trying to say but you're reaching here. 

i disagree, player models are much more clear on avalanche sandtrap etc. also player models felt blended into the maps in the beta, pre-h4 models / environment were much more distinct.

Someone explain to me why we have to deal with this horrible sight/zoom when there used to be a screen on the side which was meant to aim with. That square screen could have filled most of the player's screen instead of ruining peripheral vision like this, yet, it was just randomly removed...

I have a word in mind. I bet you can't guess it!

• Upvote (+1) 4

1) he's really high up, go onto H3 on most maps (specifically Avalanche) and do the same thing 

2) It's a compressed YouTube video. Again, it won't like anything like that on your HD screen with the actual game. 

I mean, I get what you're trying to say but you're reaching here. 

The results are in. I threw a blue spartan in a shadowed area of the map.

Keep in mind this was captured in 720p and not even in 1080p. I went as far and as high as possible with the Forge monitor. The wall prevented me from getting more distance though.

6da9dce29a3acbf37667659186d08c67.png

e1006f67bdbbda8d70a6cef14c9772cc.png

Note if the dude was moving it'd much easier to discern him as well.

I'd estimate that the distance between me and that spartan is about 4 to 5 times the distance between the Phaeton and the spartan in the clip I linked above, if not more.

• Upvote (+1) 8

Why bother with CEA and H2A when H3 still looks like the GOAT? Say what you want about the BR spread, H3's visual fidelity is unmatched within the franchise, maybe even the whole genre.

They seriously need to bring back the old art style. The new art style looks way too glossy imo.

• Upvote (+1) 2

You can't have "clean aesthetics" with 640p. It was a jaggie mess.

Accidental neg. But I don't agree with you. And wasn't h3 700p?

Accidental neg. But I don't agree with you. And wasn't h3 700p?

Halo 3 renders at 1152×640 on the 360. Halo 4 was the first Halo on the Xbox 360 to render in 720p

• Upvote (+1) 2

Why would you imply that I made this point around the low-quality gif that I posted (which is clearly reduced in quality on purpose to respect the forum rule that gifs have to be under 5 MB), when any one with half a brain would watch it in full HD on a 1080p screen before complaining?

I'm offended you would think I'm this dense.

See for yourself: https://youtu.be/Rt1foXIi1Yo?t=12m4s

There's a reason Quake uses Red/Green brightskins.

I realise Halo has always been traditionally Red/Blue, but if the colours are going to be so matched in to the environments then something needs changed.

Even on Halo4 picking out Blue was a pain, and in the beta Blue had a clear advantage. 

There's a reason Quake uses Red/Green brightskins.

I realise Halo has always been traditionally Red/Blue, but if the colours are going to be so matched in to the environments then something needs changed.

Even on Halo4 picking out Blue was a pain, and in the beta Blue had a clear advantage. 

It's a mixture of overdone lighting, questionable shades of armor colors, and excessive visual noise. Bungie are pros at environment art and the foundations were all pretty much there until 343 decided to scrap most of the art style and redo it in their style instead of adjusting around it.

Oh well, it is what it is at this point, but I think Halo 5 still has a lot of room for improvement on that end.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Aesthetically, it looks very good.

New things don't always have to add to game-play, eye candy is still important. If it wasn't, we'd still be rocking with CE-era graphics for the sake of game-play performance.

Artistically... And no it doesn't.

Getting your hand into more of your fov is harming game play even if just a little and I think it is more than a little.

Yeah we know, but 343 thought immersion was more important than game play.

But hey, for the first time ever you get to feel like a super spartan solider..............

:(

Promise?

I know I'm mad late in this convo but

You can't have "clean aesthetics" with 640p. It was a jaggie mess. 

3rd Strike looks way better than SF4 and that's a 10 year difference. Everything in SF4 looks damn ugly and weak compared to 3rd Strikes animations and sprites. KoF13 is probably one of the cleanest games I've seen and it's hand drawn (for the most part) and 720p IIRC, game got awards from it. 

I bag hard on H3 for its gameplay a lot but I wont discredit its art team for the most part. The lighting and colors were really good in that game, I would prefer that art style to replace H5 art style. H4 and H5 don't have anything in its art that is "definable" if that makes sense. It has good lighting but all its reimaginations for practically everything seem weak and uninteresting. Seriously that Plasma Pistol looks mad ugly. I'll give them promethean weapons though but even then they don't look incredibly interesting, I keep thinking im playing Deus Ex for some reason.

I think this is a good read on how a game having HD quality doesn't necesarily mean its better than older games.  http://www.dinofarmgames.com/a-pixel-artist-renounces-pixel-art/I would recommend reading it even if you don't care for this argument as it's pretty insightful IMO

• Upvote (+1) 4

343's art direction is the definition of love/hate for me. I absolutely adore the Promethean designs, both the enemies and their vehicles. Love the way the guns look and how they just kind of "attach" their pieces together to form a gun. The human faces 343 makes are absolutely stunning, as are the animations. When 343 does something completely new to the franchise in terms of aesthetics, I generally like it.

But when they redesign things--Master Chief's armor, Spartans as a whole, the Elites (hardly even intimidating anymore . . . sans the creepy grunts now), Forerunner architecture, human architecture, THE LOOK OF METAL AS A WHOLE (Seriously, NOTHING looks like actual metal in this game, not even Promethean's bodies), the medals, the shotgun/sniper redesigns . . . it all just loses almost every speck of personality those art designs held in the original trilogy for me. They all just come across as generic to me--generic guns, generic soldiers, generic architecture, etc.

Oh . . . and did I mention that all metal looks like plastic? I did? Because it does. And that's very jarring.

Spot on. It just doesn't look or sound like Halo. This game looks like it's so far in the opposite direction of what Halo used to be that I just don't get a good feel for this game. And, watching the the latest Warzone Vid at 60 fps that Green Skull posted, just seems like this game in geared toward kiddos. The plastic looking art style, the audio, the in-game weapon call-outs, among other things. I suppose change is needed, but as a fan, it's change that's making me lose my desire to play Halo games. I don't like. Maybe there will be something shown between now and launch that changes my mind, but right now, I'm not compelled to buy Halo 5.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Spot on. It just doesn't look or sound like Halo. This game looks like it's so far in the opposite direction of what Halo used to be that I just don't get a good feel for this game. And, watching the the latest Warzone Vid at 60 fps that Green Skull posted, just seems like this game in geared toward kiddos. The plastic looking art style, the audio, the in-game weapon call-outs, among other things. I suppose change is needed, but as a fan, it's change that's making me lose my desire to play Halo games. I don't like. Maybe there will be something shown between now and launch that changes my mind, but right now, I'm not compelled to buy Halo 5.

I just watched his newest one, that Splaser sounds like a water pistol...

Its so overly designed and they've changed the sound and art for absolutely everything.

There's making something your own, and then there's being stupid because you think you know better.

• Upvote (+1) 4

And if h3 were the first title it would have been an accidental hit without the bemoaning of watering down the game.

accidental in that many aspects of the game ended up the way they were by accident? No, ce was great because bungie fucked up in all the right areas without knowing it. Halo 3 was designed to be the way it was, i don't think ce came out the way bungie intended.

accidental in that many aspects of the game ended up the way they were by accident? No, ce was great because bungie fucked up in all the right areas without knowing it. Halo 3 was designed to be the way it was, i don't think ce came out the way bungie intended.

Most of the sandbox design in Halo CE was very deliberate, as can be gathered from Hardy LeBel's blog. The only truly fantastic thing I can think of that probably wasn't explicitly intended is the spawn system, moreso the strategy surrounding it. Weapon launching was somewhat intentional; the amazing weapon balance certainly was.

Modern Halo is what results from assigning groups of people with various opinions to create something the widest audience possible will spend money on. The miracle of Halo CE multiplayer resulted from the freedom of a few bold individuals to create something they themselves would love to play.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Most of the sandbox design in Halo CE was very deliberate, as can be gathered from Hardy LeBel's blog. The only truly fantastic thing I can think of that probably wasn't explicitly intended is the spawn system, moreso the strategy surrounding it. Weapon launching was somewhat intentional; the amazing weapon balance certainly was.

Modern Halo is what results from assigning groups of people with various opinions to create something the widest audience possible will spend money on. The miracle of Halo CE multiplayer resulted from the freedom of a few bold individuals to create something they themselves would love to play.

wasn't the pistol an accident? I thought a bungie employee said this like years ago.

wasn't the pistol an accident? I thought a bungie employee said this like years ago.

It wasn't. The old story was that Jason Jones secretly tweaked the Pistol to a 3SK (likely from a 4SK, looking at the clip size and the kill time of the AR) right before the game went gold; this is incorrect.

I have to brush up on the details of what happened, but I know there was a debate concerning the balance of weapons in campaign and multiplayer, likely because a 3SK deathcannon would let players blaze through the story missions way too fast, so in the end Hardy just made entirely separate weapon values for the multiplayer portion of the game. He said his biggest regret was not giving the Pistol more bloom when it fired fully auto because it was something from campaign he thought would make multiplayer too easy, but I assured him that no one in his right mind holds down the trigger.

It's funny to think that even if the Pistol hadn't been changed to a 3SK and it killed one or two shots slower, it still would be the best utility weapon in the series. The only one, still.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Some employees say yes, some say no. I'm not sure.

Well boys, we've finally reached a new level of IMMERSION.

Lens flare/glint has been added. SO REALISTIC

kxPmpPI.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 3

Well boys, we've finally reached a new level of IMMERSION.

Lens flare/glint has been added. SO REALISTIC

kxPmpPI.jpg

I don't get what the problem is. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 10

Some employees say yes, some say no. I'm not sure.

Seems like the guy that was actually in charge of that says no. So if we're going to believe someone it should probably be him

Without having to read all 1798 pages, can someone give me some information?

What old maps have been confirmed in H5?

Any new gametypes?