CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

CEA was a hackjob on all levels designed only to push sales of a new game.

Which seems to be becoming a theme in the Halo world.

how else do you expect a 14 year old series to last another 30?

Halo has become Killzone.

Yeah, no.

I saw that more with 4 than 3. Looking closely at the textures in the former was surprising, they looked so low res.

I'm not really talking textures, which I'll agree were superior in 3, moreso the resolution/jaggies. 

• Downvote (-1) 1

My summarised opinion of H5's art style:

- Too much contrast; shadows way too dark

- Terrible, bland textures with zero... texture

- Metal looks like plastic, due to poor lighting and terrible, bland textures

- Noisy

The result, in my eyes: power rangers with clay guns running in dimly lit buildings, in which the environment seems to be made up of the plastic they make iPods with and wet clay.

• Upvote (+1) 10
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Ugh, I know its subjective, but Halo 3 looks so much better than THE4.

On this screenshots it even looks like the newer game to me.

That Locust spartan looks ugly as fuck.

Texture quality may be low, but don't worry because it means we can have IMMERSIVE LIGHTING!!!! - 343, 2012.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Texture quality may be low, but don't worry because it means we can have IMMERSIVE LIGHTING!!!! - 343, 2012.

would rather have immersive textures. Halo 4 totally shit the bed in that regard. I feel like halo 5 is much better in this regard, the problem is that the textures are over used throughout the game. I feel like sanghelios is going to be the highlight of the sp because it's different from all the other areas, although I'm sure I could be wrong on this.

would rather have immersive textures. Halo 4 totally shit the bed in that regard. I feel like halo 5 is much better in this regard, the problem is that the textures are over used throughout the game. I feel like sanghelios is going to be the highlight of the sp because it's different from all the other areas, although I'm sure I could be wrong on this.

I think Textures are the most important thing graphics wise.

I think Textures are the most important thing graphics wise.

it absolutely is, lighting in video games has been getting so over the top in an effort to be realistic, but all that's happening is the opposite, it looks very fake in most fps now. I'm hoping it's been toned down after the beta, in the warzone gameplay it seemed fine, the island warzone map better not be a fucking sunset setting, it's far too common in 343s art style.

My problem is there is never a mid day map. It's always either night or sun set.

I dont know man.. If I can remember correctly, Regret's time of day was straight up 12:30pm lunch break time

• Upvote (+1) 2

It's hard to exactly describe another issue I have with the art style, but i guess I'd call it "shiny light". Maybe you could sum it up with glare but I feel like that doesn't really capture what I see when I watched H4 and now H5.

When you watch a game like CS you have flashbangs and molotovs going off but you don't really get overloaded with visual light information. When a flashbang goes off it's just like someone took a picture, overlaid it with white and then lowered the opacity of the white. It makes it easier to watch continuously regardless of how fast the game is.

The same thing happened in H3. You were never really overloaded with light information, it was kind of flat and diffused and it made everything simpler to watch for hours.

Hope that made sense? I've been awake for too long.

It's hard to exactly describe another issue I have with the art style, but i guess I'd call it "shiny light". Maybe you could sum it up with glare but I feel like that doesn't really capture what I see when I watched H4 and now H5.

When you watch a game like CS you have flashbangs and molotovs going off but you don't really get overloaded with visual light information. When a flashbang goes off it's just like someone took a picture, overlaid it with white and then lowered the opacity of the white. It makes it easier to watch continuously regardless of how fast the game is.

The same thing happened in H3. You were never really overloaded with light information, it was kind of flat and diffused and it made everything simpler to watch for hours.

Hope that made sense? I've been awake for too long.

I know what you are saying. 

I'd rather them have a higher resolution with anti-aliasing than advanced shadows/lighting/Ambient Occlusion with blurry aliased textures everywhere. Clean lines and easy to look at visuals are the most important thing in any competitive shooter.  

I dont know man.. If I can remember correctly, Regret's time of day was straight up 12:30pm lunch break time

you're correct on that. My favorite map in the beta by far and I forgot about it...
  • Upvote (+1) 1

you're correct on that. My favorite map in the beta by far and I forgot about it...

Don't forget about  Truth..clearly mid day :kappa:

CEA was a hackjob on all levels designed only to push sales of a new game.

Which seems to be becoming a theme in the Halo world.

I am sorry your experience was less than desirable. Have you tried pre-ordering Halo Wars 2?

:prayers:  :flames:  :prayers:  :flames:  :prayers:

• Upvote (+1) 6

My summarised opinion of H5's art style:

- Too much contrast; shadows way too dark

- Terrible, bland textures with zero... texture

- Metal looks like plastic, due to poor lighting and terrible, bland textures

Pretty much this. It's gotten to the point where opponents need a bright red arrow overhead and thrusters lighting up on their back to be able to see them from a distance.

Has it not struck anyone's mind that the armor for blue team should just be brighter and not subject as much to lighting conditions?

414393c526fb77720b0f32c44e14fcf3.gif

• Upvote (+1) 3

you need to reevaluate your eyeballs.

I'm actually protecting my eyeballs by not buying H5

:weback:

• Upvote (+1) 3

QMXhh6g.jpg

Laser Smart Scope

look similar to the new DMR scope

needs to be bigger. It just looks like it will be a bit clunky.

Explain to me how exactly  Halo 3 is lacking visually/audibly?  Because as far as I've concerned H3 has the best art style and audio engineering I've ever seen in any video game, ever.

I really should've been more specific there, sorry. I was more referring to how if feels and sounds to actually PLAY Halo 3 (I have my problems with the visuals but those are mostly technical). It's arguably my main gripe with the game.

Audibly, the sound effects just lack punch. There are some solid SFX pertaining to vehicle damage, but when using most guns, to me at least, I don't get the sense that the thing I'm holding is, well lethal. The visuals play a huge part in this as well, there's not much visual kickback on the guns (H3's AR is likely the least satisfying shooter weapon I've ever used) and the way your Spartan animates in first person feels sort of detached from the world around you. Then we get to how it feels to actually move and jump and run and it feels terrible to me. The strafe was reduced in responsiveness from the previous two games, jumping feels floaty, melee has no sense of impact, etc. It's a mess IMO.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Pretty much this. It's gotten to the point where opponents need a bright red arrow overhead and thrusters lighting up on their back to be able to see them from a distance.

Has it not struck anyone's mind that the armor for blue team should just be brighter and not subject as much to lighting conditions?

414393c526fb77720b0f32c44e14fcf3.gif

I mean yeah you need a red arrow and thrusters to see if you're gonna be playing at this fuzzy-ass sub-HD resolution GIF you just posted.

On your HD tv you'll be able to see just fine lol

Yeah, not a huge fan of the sound design either @@TheCelticDragon

• Downvote (-1) 5

QMXhh6g.jpg

Laser Smart Scope

look similar to the new DMR scope

Someone explain to me why we have to deal with this horrible sight/zoom when there used to be a screen on the side which was meant to aim with. That square screen could have filled most of the player's screen instead of ruining peripheral vision like this, yet, it was just randomly removed...

9b4aa66b9f03ab65dab5d438c930d5cb.pngca28de14ecb20e2f9d7bfedc7a864c74.png

• Upvote (+1) 7

I mean yeah you need a red arrow and thrusters to see if you're gonna be playing at this fuzzy-ass sub-HD resolution GIF you just posted.

On your HD tv you'll be able to see just fine lol

Yeah, not a huge fan of the sound design either @@TheCelticDragon

Why would you imply that I made this point around the low-quality gif that I posted (which is clearly reduced in quality on purpose to respect the forum rule that gifs have to be under 5 MB), when any one with half a brain would watch it in full HD on a 1080p screen before complaining?

I'm offended you would think I'm this dense.

See for yourself: https://youtu.be/Rt1foXIi1Yo?t=12m4s

Why would you imply that I made this point around the low-quality gif that I posted (which is clearly reduced in quality on purpose to respect the forum rule that gifs have to be under 5 MB), when any one with half a brain would watch it in full HD on a 1080p screen before complaining?

I'm offended you would think I'm this dense.

See for yourself: https://youtu.be/Rt1foXIi1Yo?t=12m4s

1) he's really high up, go onto H3 on most maps (specifically Avalanche) and do the same thing 

2) It's a compressed YouTube video. Again, it won't like anything like that on your HD screen with the actual game. 

I mean, I get what you're trying to say but you're reaching here.