CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I'm not a huge fan of the visuals in Halo 5, there is too much going on and it makes it difficult to look at.

Seems impossible to have a legitimate discussion with you without bringing up "immersion" and something else that makes 343 suck. It isn't a case of immersion, it's a case of Sabre completely changing the way that level looked because they had little to no understanding of why it was so dark and gloomy in the first place.

You do realize that immersion is the entire basis of your argument, right?

Does the Guilty Spark screenshot have too much going on? Is it difficult to look at (because one screenshot totally makes or break a remaster anyway)? Or does it actually look good and you just dislike the lack of fog compared to the 2001 version?

CEA didn't change the atmosphere of shit. Guilty Spark is still the same random, isolated swamp it always was. It only feels less intense now because the nostalgic 2001 visuals have been traded out for brand-new ones, but you've already been spoiled on what's about to happen story-wise. Library didn't change either. It's still an hour-long grind against ungodly numbers of flood. But now it's easier to look at. Library is one of the best looking levels in CEA actually.

But sure, why have a video game that's nice to look at when we could have something that looks like a pile of dicks instead? #Immersion!

Do you have eyes? Can you really not see the difference? The atmosphere in CEA is vastly different.

I really like how CEA looks however they butchered the original aesthetic, they look nothing alike.

Looks like any generic 360 military shooter. Nothing remarkable.

Lolokay.gif

Do you have eyes? Can you really not see the difference?

I really like how CEA looks however they butchered the original aesthetic, they look nothing alike.

Lolokay.gif

Of course I can see the difference between 2001 and 2011 graphics, you ignoramus. And guess what? The 2011 graphics look better. By a lot. They're the best so far in the series. While still fitting what CE is all about.

Does the Guilty Spark screenshot have too much going on? Is it difficult to look at (because one screenshot totally makes or break a remaster anyway)? Or does it actually look good and you just dislike the lack of fog compared to the 2001 version?

Absolutely contradicted myself there. Obviously it's a case of immersion because you're meant to feel like you're in a dark and gloomy swamp and when Sabre decided "hey, lets make this bright", it completely ruined that. I'm more complaining that 90% of your posts bring up immersion in a sarcastic manner and it makes your posts a pain to bother debating.

Too much going on? In that particular picture, no but there are a few areas of the swamp where they've added more grass, leaves, etc which made it have too much going on. If any enemies are running through said areas, it becomes difficult to see them and focus on them - this is literally the complaint with Halo 5's visuals and its visual noise, there's too much going on.

You're silly if you think I'm saying that one single screenshot makes the entire remaster terrible. Pillar of Autumn looks great and so does The Silent Cartographer to name a few off the top of my head, they did great on that but to say they nailed the entire remaster is just not true, but I guess that's a matter of opinion. The atmosphere of the swamp area changed completely. 

There's no denying it looks good but it just doesn't fit the setting that the swamp has, plain and simple.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I see 343 are still keeping the awkward and uncomfortable-looking idle stances/animations from H4. Who stands up with their legs so stiff and their butt cheeks so clenched? Is diarrhea an unfortunate side-effect of the Spartan IV program?

0e73ac4ba10a52d29945a8646b9860ca.png

it's the proper stance when you shoot a rifle.

Is diarrhea an unfortunate side-effect of the Spartan IV program?

Nah, you're thinking of the Spartan Poo program.

I'll see myself out now.

• Upvote (+1) 8

How many Spartans did you ask?

no, I mean seriously, there is a correct way to fire a rifle, halo 4-5 show the player in a correct stance.

Didn't notice till just now that you can spot snipers from a lense reflexion. I never was a fan of that in other games and was always glad halo never implemented it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Didn't notice till just now that you can spot snipers from a lense reflexion. I never was a fan of that in other games and was always glad halo never implemented it.

halo has stuck with the good ol smoke trail.

no, I mean seriously, there is a correct way to fire a rifle, halo 4-5 show the player in a correct stance.

You're missing the point. Realism has no weight in an argument like this. Spartans are strong enough not to need to optimize their stance around shooting their rifle. Do you see people shoot sniper rifles while running around in real life? Detach mounted heavy machine guns and run around with them because fuck it?

Of course I can see the difference between 2001 and 2011 graphics, you ignoramus. And guess what? The 2011 look better. By a lot. While still fitting what CE is all about.

Of course the 2011 graphics look better.

However they completely failed to recapture the aesthetic of the original.

You're missing the point. Realism has no weight in an argument like this. Spartans are strong enough not to need to optimize their stance around shooting their rifle. Do you see people shoot sniper rifles while running around in real life? Detach mounted heavy machine guns and run around with them because fuck it?

oh yeah...

Ugh, I know its subjective, but Halo 3 looks so much better than THE4.

On this screenshots it even looks like the newer game to me.

That Locust spartan looks ugly as fuck.

While I don't disagree with you, you will take that back about the Locus helmet (though the rest of the armor can go). I had to trade a lot of doritos XP codes for it back in the day. 

Shit matches my emblem too.

f01a20b167bc172402cca99e05ab6470.pngdf740169170325a1570287bb2099c52d.png

• Upvote (+1) 1

Why bother with CEA and H2A when H3 still looks like the GOAT? Say what you want about the BR spread, H3's visual fidelity is unmatched within the franchise, maybe even the whole genre.

• Upvote (+1) 9

Why bother with CEA and H2A when H3 still looks like the GOAT? Say what you want about the BR spread, H3's visual fidelity is unmatched within the franchise, maybe even the whole genre.

The hyperbole surrounding H3 is becoming absurd now.

If "unmatched visual fidelity" is 640p and barely 30FPS then you need to reevaluate your eyeballs.

The art might be unmatched, sure, and maybe it looks much better now that it's in MCC, but come on now.

edit: I'll agree that it is the best looking Halo, aesthetically, but that's my personal opinion. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Well, immersion is actually a very valid argument when it comes to campaign.

Of course the 2011 graphics look better.

However they completely failed to recapture the aesthetic of the original.

"lolokay.gif"

Well, immersion is actually a very valid argument when it comes to campaign.

Did I say it wasn't?

I'll take 640p with clean aesthetics and well-defined colors over 900p with a lot of visual noise, washed colors and armor that blends in with shadows, fog and backgrounds.

EDIT: Didn't get to mention the UI, but the UI too.

You can't have "clean aesthetics" with 640p. It was a jaggie mess. 

• Downvote (-1) 5

You can't have "clean aesthetics" with 640p. It was a jaggie mess.

I saw that more with 4 than 3. Looking closely at the textures in the former was surprising, they looked so low res.
  • Upvote (+1) 1