CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I've generally found Halo CE to have the best enemy AI of any of the games in the franchise; was this the case for you in your CEA marathon?

CE has the best AI as in they are powerful, but never feel cheap. If H2 didn't have Jackal Snipers, it would be tied with H1 on the AI scale.

• Upvote (+1) 1

CE has the best AI as in they are powerful, but never feel cheap. If H2 didn't have Jackal Snipers, it would be tied with H1 on the AI scale.

I hope getting back to that standard, and then exceeding it, becomes a priority for 343i's AI team moving forward.

Have to ask this again after the H1 campaign marathon session I just played: how is it possible that CEA is such a pleasure to look at while Halo 5 looks like a punch in the eye? CEA was a rushed remaster outsourced to a third party with no major game experience. Halo 5 was built in-house from the ground up by an "all-star" studio on more powerful hardware.

How is 343 not collaborating with Saber for main titles and letting them handle the visuals?

Seriously? I like how CEA looks but it's a really bad remaster, completely fails to capture the same aesthetic and atmosphere.

And H5 looks fantastic:

oqKnmswh.jpg

MyHldmkh.jpg

WgCCpeIh.jpg

3KzffL0h.jpg

ngdbEwUh.jpg

Note, these are compressed screen grabs of compressed YouTube footage of an old build.

Some better shots:

h5-guardians-campaign-establishing-blue-

h5-guardians-campaign-battle-of-sunaion-

h5-guardians-establishing-campaign-battl

h5-guardians-blue-team-establishing-bay-

343 is nailing the aesthetics.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Seriously? I like how CEA looks but it's a really bad remaster, completely fails to capture the same aesthetic and atmosphere.

And H5 looks fantastic:

343 is nailing the aesthetics.

From what we have seen the desert/ruin Level and the snow level have some potential! That e3 level looks all right at least but I don't want to see any more of this boring, monotonous smooth-white UNSC Design...

Where did all those idyllic landscapes go, where did the variety of diffrent UNSC architecures go?

Now we have the same white-orange apple-ish UNSC architecture placed in diffrent colored rocky areas and over-the-top forerunner design with allmost no flora but a shit load of rocks as well

I don't think so at all. The only thing that looks impressive is the lighting. Halo 5 & 4 look great on a graphical level, but not on an artistic one.

I'm gunna have to disagree completely there.

I'm loving the art design so far. Especially the desert rocky section, that looks amazing.

• Upvote (+1) 3

New environments and themes that we haven't seen before look fine in Halo 4 and 5, but so much old stuff is changed inexplicably that it throws the entire experience off a bit.

Sabre proved with CEA (aside from losing some of the ambient effect of the swamp in 343 Guilty Spark and generally too bright Forerunner architecture) and H2A that they can modernise traditional UNSC and Covenant stuff without re-imagining it. 343 on the other hand did re-imagine all of this:
Weapon models.

Character models.

Vehicle models.

Environments.

Structures.

For me it's hard to reconcile the series before and after the developer change purely because of those artistic re-imaginings. The Forward Unto Dawn in which Chief goes into cryo at the end of Halo 3 doesn't look anything like the Dawn he wakes up in at the start of Halo 4.

Not to mention his armour, the weapons on board magically becoming different models (for this level only would it have been terrible to have skins for H2/3 era weapon models even if the functionality remained the same?) and then we've got the Covenant species looking completely different; Grunts becoming more rounded instead of craggy, Jackals bulking up and acquiring lizard-like jaws in place of their characteristic avian beaks (this one is partially explained by claiming they were a different sub-species like Reach's skirmisher, but this isn't clear in gameplay at all) etc.

343's visuals look good, but in MCC playing a campaign marathon and jumping from into H4 is a very weird feeling. Looking good in this case doesn't quite mean the same as looking authentic and as a fan of continuity that's something that will always bug me.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Have to ask this again after the H1 campaign marathon session I just played: how is it possible that CEA is such a pleasure to look at while Halo 5 looks like a punch in the eye? CEA was a rushed remaster outsourced to a third party with no major game experience. Halo 5 was built in-house from the ground up by an "all-star" studio on more powerful hardware.

How is 343 not collaborating with Saber for main titles and letting them handle the visuals?

If they want to bring Sabre in, let them have more time to learn it all first. CEA was a good first attempt but they completely ruined the atmosphere on some levels - mainly 343 Guilty Spark and how it went from a dark and dank level to a bright and colourful one.

H2A was a much better attempt but some areas that were originally bright became really dark and almost impossible to see in (looking at you Delta Halo).

• Upvote (+1) 1

I can't believe people are saying CEA nailed the CE aesthetic. It completely changed it.

H2A is a far better example of improving graphics without completely changing the atmosphere and style.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I think Sanghelios looks pretty good, but I can't stand how everything human looks the same which also goes for the forerunners and the covenant.

I think Sanghelios looks pretty good, but I can't stand how everything human looks the same which also goes for the forerunners and the covenant.

We've only seen one covenant map? Regret is a remix but still. Same goes with the forerunner maps. Are pegasus and orion forerunner maps? If they are and they look similar it's probably because they are forge maps.

CEA didn't change the atmosphere of shit. Guilty Spark is still the same random, isolated swamp it always was. It only feels less intense now because the nostalgic 2001 visuals have been traded out for brand-new ones, but you've already been spoiled on what's about to happen story-wise. Library didn't change either. It's still an hour-long grind against ungodly numbers of flood. But now it's easier to look at. Library is one of the best looking levels in CEA actually.

But sure, why have a video game that's nice to look at when we could have something that looks like a pile of dicks instead? #Immersion!

• Upvote (+1) 1

CEA didn't change the atmosphere of shit. Guilty Spark is still the same random, isolated swamp it always was. It only feels less intense now because the nostalgic 2001 visuals have been traded out for brand-new ones, but you've already been spoiled on what's about happen story-wise. Library didn't change either. It's still an hour-long grind against ungodly numbers of flood. But now it's easier to look at. Library is one of the best looking levels in CEA actually.

But sure, why have a video game that's nice to look at when we could have something that looks like a pile of dicks instead? #Immersion!

I played 343 Guilty Spark sometime ago this year and switched to the old graphics because the new one is too bright. I feel dredd with the old graphics. Not so with the new one.

And again, I like the aesthetics of Halo 5.

I played 343 Guilty Spark sometime ago this year and switched to the old graphics because the new one is too bright. I feel dredd with the old graphics. Not so with the new one.

And again, I like the aesthetics of Halo 5.

So 343 Guilty Spark is too bright, but Halo 5: JJ Abrams' Guardians is fine. Okay.

So 343 Guilty Spark is too bright, but Halo 5: JJ Abrams' Guardians is fine. Okay.

It's about how the art matches with the atmosphere. 343 Guilty Spark is little to no longer frightening.

Halo 5 looks beautiful. The E3 campaign demo was gorgeous. You and I just have to agree to disagree on this subject.

Edit: a word

CEA didn't change the atmosphere of shit. Guilty Spark is still the same random, isolated swamp it always was. It only feels less intense now because the nostalgic 2001 visuals have been traded out for brand-new ones, but you've already been spoiled on what's about to happen story-wise. Library didn't change either. It's still an hour-long grind against ungodly numbers of flood. But now it's easier to look at. Library is one of the best looking levels in CEA actually.

We went from this:

CSr6Q6w.jpg

To this:

wgvt110.png

It went from a dark and gloomy level to a bright as fuck one.

• Upvote (+1) 8

On what planet is that "bright as fuck"?

I'll take that over any of those Halo 5 screenshots exactly 10 times out of 10.

Nah. That's bright. And perhaps a bit too much detail.

On what planet is that "bright as fuck"?

I'll take that over any of those Halo 5 screenshots exactly 10 times out of 10.

Compared to the original, it is way too bright. The whole concept of the opening and ending swamp segment is for it to be dark, gloomy and scary building up to the flood reveal later on. 

Instead, we get these bright plants and the fog is all but gone. 

If you prefer that to Halo 5's visuals, good on you. I'm not debating that, I'm telling you that Sabre didn't nail the remaster for CEA.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Compared to the original, it is way too bright. The whole concept of the opening and ending swamp segment is for it to be dark, gloomy and scary building up to the flood reveal later on. 

Instead, we get these bright plants and the fog is all but gone. 

If you prefer that to Halo 5's visuals, good on you. I'm not debating that, I'm telling you that Sabre didn't nail the remaster for CEA.

Urrite, I totally hate being able to see more than 4 feet in front of my face. Mah #immersion!

I'm telling you that Sabre did nail the remaster for CEA and has a much, much better feel for Halo visuals than 343 does. Unless you're a fan of uber lens flare and white slabs of metal as far as the eye can see. Which apparently Beyond is.

• Downvote (-1) 6

Urrite, I totally hate being able to see more than 4 feet in front of my face. Mah #immersion!

I'm telling you that Sabre did nail the remaster for CEA and has a much, much better feel for Halo visuals than 343 does. Unless you're a fan of uber lens flare and white slabs of metal as far as the eye can see. Which apparently Beyond is.

Why is it a case of "343 fanboy" or "Sabre fucking nailed it".

I'm not a huge fan of the visuals in Halo 5, there is too much going on and it makes it difficult to look at.

Seems impossible to have a legitimate discussion with you without bringing up "immersion" and something else that makes 343 suck. It isn't a case of immersion, it's a case of Sabre completely changing the way that level looked because they had little to no understanding of why it was so dark and gloomy in the first place.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Sure. But Halo 2 also wasn't as bad as Halo 5 and retained enough similarities to be passable as Halo. 4 and 5 do not, down from the weapon and sound design + aesthetic, to the gameplay changes. Halo 5 feels no less a Halo game than Halo 4 did (which I really don't even want to acknowledge at this point)

Sidenote you have a thing for italicizing game titles? Some grammar rules I never really took to heart

h5 is probably closer to a halo game than 4 and reach. I really disagree with the notion that the visuals and new additions disqualify the other 60 percent of the game. It's a clear step back from reach and 4 in noticeable ways, it might not be as close as h2 is to ce, but h5 definitely shares many core aspects with the original 3(although it misses some finer aspects).

Why is it a case of "343 fanboy" or "Sabre fucking nailed it".

I'm not a huge fan of the visuals in Halo 5, there is too much going on and it makes it difficult to look at.

Seems impossible to have a legitimate discussion with you without bringing up "immersion" and something else that makes 343 suck. It isn't a case of immersion, it's a case of Sabre completely changing the way that level looked because they had little to no understanding of why it was so dark and gloomy in the first place.

I agree with you that Sabre fucked up parts of HCE, but do you believe that 343 has a deeper understanding of Halo's artstyle?

Or the beauty of those "mood-driven" levels like 343GS?

I get the feeling for 343 vision it's just about creating shiny, over-the-top, Sci-Fi rather than sticking to Halos more down-to-earth, "Used Universe"-look