CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I found Halo 3's maps to be fine. The problem is they're not very vertical. The big problems with Halo 3 are the hit detection and movement speed. Equipment wasn't something I minded and the FOV, while a bit restrictive, didn't really make me that sick.

H3 map design is very linear, which is a problem. Movement speed was the exact same as H1 and H2, the FOV is what made it look so slow. However, the strafe responsiveness was reduced from H1/H2.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Thing is, Eden could've taken the idea for the catwalks being less protected, along with structurally weakening the bases. There was too much peek-shooting in those areas because of the amount of cover all over the place. Hang em', despite being the weakest map in CE, still had good strategies formed to counter the open ramps and covered floor. Eden flipped this around, and it should not have happened.

Any minor flaws in map design are immediately exacerbated by the top-heavy ratio of mobility to lethality in H5. Besides the ways of punishing strategies like camping and peek shooting in H1, such as powerful grenades and the lack of strongsiding, the plausibility of being weak yet still very deadly encourages a much less defensive form of play, so maps have a lot of room for error. This is why easy headshot weapons kill the spirit of the game.

H3 map design is very linear, which is a problem. Movement speed was the exact same as H1 and H2, the FOV is what made it look so slow. However, the strafe responsiveness was reduced from H1/H2.

Linear? I can see it being a step down from map design in say CE, but I'd hardly say linear. The maps restrict you when they need you to but let you move in at least two different ways no matter where you are. The problem with the maps is that they basically thought Lockout was a great layout for all future maps and they used it's design philosophy of a ring with platforms surrounding it with power weapons dead in the center.

For the strafe, they also have that really annoying delay frame whenever you move. It's on the same level of pet peeve as not moving with the scoreboard.

After watching through Halo 5 invitationals and HCS season 2 in one sitting

Halo 5 looks more like a spin off series rather than an actual sequel 

Im not saying that it cannot be competitive but i the game is definitely not halo

• Upvote (+1) 2

It has always seemed strange that the Halo games that Bungie rushed (CE, ODST, H2 MP) ended up being the best, while whenever they took their time, they ended up being relatively lackluster (H3 and Reach). 

Its a shame in Halo 3's case especially. While the pitfalls with matchmaking are well known (at least within the competitive circle), the campaign probably has the best encounter design of the whole series when looked at holistically. Its a shame the the audiovisual/kinesthetic aspect of the game was so lacking.

I really wish the game had better map design as well. I'm pretty sure I let out an audible groan whenever people voted Narrows...

Explain to me how exactly  Halo 3 is lacking visually/audibly?  Because as far as I've concerned H3 has the best art style and audio engineering I've ever seen in any video game, ever.

• Upvote (+1) 1

After watching through Halo 5 invitationals and HCS season 2 in one sitting

Halo 5 looks more like a spin off series rather than an actual sequel 

Im not saying that it cannot be competitive but i the game is definitely not halo

"Not Halo". Same could've been said for Halo 2 with how radically different it was from Halo: CE. :P

"Not Halo". Same could've been said for Halo 2 with how radically different it was from Halo: CE. :P

Yet that game also contained DNA from H1 enough to pass by. The similarities between CE and 2 seem much more minor when you make the jump from H2 to H5.

Yet that game also contained DNA from H1 enough to pass by. The similarities between CE and 2 seem much more minor when you make the jump from H2 to H5.

Except we're not jumping from Halo 2, to Halo 5. We're jumping from Halo 4, to Halo 5.  The gap between Halo 4 and Halo 5 is MUCH smaller than that of Halo: CE, to Halo 2.

Except we're not jumping from Halo 2, to Halo 5. We're jumping from Halo 4, to Halo 5.  The gap between Halo 4 and Halo 5 is MUCH smaller than that of Halo: CE, to Halo 2.

Sure. But Halo 2 also wasn't as bad as Halo 5 and retained enough similarities to be passable as Halo. 4 and 5 do not, down from the weapon and sound design + aesthetic, to the gameplay changes. Halo 5 feels no less a Halo game than Halo 4 did (which I really don't even want to acknowledge at this point)

Sidenote you have a thing for italicizing game titles? Some grammar rules I never really took to heart

• Upvote (+1) 1

Haha thanks. Played mostly solo so there was no communication to get the overs(yes, I need the help). Hope you enjoyed!

I did. Probably the best Halo 5 montage I've seen  :)

Who the fuck calls the 4 a Halo game? lol...

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 3

Am I the only one worried about the ranking system? For me its one of the top priorities to make or break a good Halo game.

It didnt work at all for me in the Beta. I remember having pretty similar stats to a friend of mine, but he was put into Gold 2 and I was put into Semi pro. Like what the hell? How does this even make sense to put me into a Semi pro division after playing 10 social games basically. That seems completly broken and random. There was also no point for me to grind more. I could not go below Semi Pro and had absolutely no chance to improve it. While my friend would need to grind for days to get into my division. Just because the game was like... meh you are a Gold 2.  I saw really bad players having Onyx 2 or Onyx 3 just because they played a lot and somehow decent.

And seasons would be the worst for me. I rather have a fake 50 (fake Semi Pro/Pro) every once in a while than my rank resetting all the time.

Do we have any more information how the ranking system works other than the Beta? Are seasons confirmed?

Am I the only one worried about the ranking system? For me its one of the top priorities to make or break a good Halo game.

It didnt work at all for me in the Beta. I remember having pretty similar stats to a friend of mine, but he was put into Gold 2 and I was put into Semi pro. Like what the hell? How does this even make sense to put me into a Semi pro division after playing 10 social games basically. That seems completly broken and random. There was also no point for me to grind more. I could not go below Semi Pro and had absolutely no chance to improve it. While my friend would need to grind for days to get into my division. Just because the game was like... meh you are a Gold 2.  I saw really bad players having Onyx 2 or Onyx 3 just because they played a lot and somehow decent.

And seasons would be the worst for me. I rather have a fake 50 (fake Semi Pro/Pro) every once in a while than my rank resetting all the time.

Do we have any more information how the ranking system works other than the Beta? Are seasons confirmed?

I wouldn't say the ranking system is bad, but the rank given to the player after 10 matches was hilariously broken. I was in a party of 4 for the first 10 matches with my friends and I always carry them. For every match, I had the most kills and best K/D. We won 8 matches out of the first 10. I was a Gold 1 and two of my friends were a Gold 3. It was so broken, they were actually laughing for a solid minute. It took me forever to get up to their rank. I played with someone for their first 10 matches and he was decent (pulling a 1.0 K/D in most cases) and we lost his last 3 matches. He got an Onyx. Something was broken with the "Rank after first 10 match" system and hopefully 343 addressed it.

I think it would be better if they just gave everyone a Silver 1 from the start. Yes, it would take a week or two for the ranks to balance out, but it's better than what was happening in the Beta.

Didn't someone from the dev team say that less restrictions were put on to allow faster matches or something?

Have to ask this again after the H1 campaign marathon session I just played: how is it possible that CEA is such a pleasure to look at while Halo 5 looks like a punch in the eye? CEA was a rushed remaster outsourced to a third party with no major game experience. Halo 5 was built in-house from the ground up by an "all-star" studio on more powerful hardware.

How is 343 not collaborating with Saber for main titles and letting them handle the visuals?

• Upvote (+1) 10
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Didn't someone from the dev team say that less restrictions were put on to allow faster matches or something?

That's a frightening thought if true, because the beta search times were crap.

Have to ask this again after the H1 campaign marathon session I just played: how is it possible that CEA is such a pleasure to look at while Halo 5 looks like a punch in the eye? CEA was a rushed remaster outsourced to a third party with no major game experience. Halo 5 was built in-house from the ground up by an "all-star" studio on more powerful hardware.

How is 343 not collaborating with Saber for main titles and letting them handle the visuals?

Subjective. I think Halo 5 looks great.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Saber knows how to work with the Halo artstyle, sometimes they tend to have the same problems 343 has with too much detail/clutterd designs and light but overall HCEA/H2A are far superior to H4/H5!

343 sadly has their own mind how Halo should look...maybe H6 or the H5 DLC will mix things up a little! If I remember correctly 343's Artdirector (?) left at some time during H5's development...hopefully the new Artdirector understands Halos design better

• Upvote (+1) 4

Saber knows how to work with the Halo artstyle, sometimes they tend to have the same problems 343 has with too much detail/clutterd designs and light but overall HCEA/H2A are far superior to H4/H5!

343 sadly has their own mind how Halo should look...maybe H6 or the H5 DLC will mix things up a little! If I remember correctly 343's Artdirector (?) left at some time during H5's development...hopefully the new Artdirector understands Halos design better

The DLC won't be any different than what we see in Halo 5 and it shouldn't be. I dislike the over-design in H5 as well but 343 knows the game's look needs to be consistent. And I wouldn't even call what 343 is doing 'art'. It's more of just 'polygons mashed together in 1080p* with great lighting'.

I think H2A, while still great and far better to look at than H4 and H5, is decidedly less easy on the eyes compared to CEA. They nailed the look of Cairo Station, Earth, and High Charity. The forerunner stuff looks odd though. Everything is beige and has a really flat, sterile look to it.

I'm too lazy to look up the 343 hierarchy, but was Vic DeLeon (the guy who left) really above Bouvier? If anything I got the opposite vibe from The Sprint.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Seriously hope extraction 2 plot is standard. 1 plot was really dumb and just easy mode KoTH

I agree.

Also: 3 Plot on asymm maps as standard for BTB plz!

• Upvote (+1) 1

As a semi pro I was matching irons and bronze kids. Even worse, any thumbless spastic could randomly get carried in their placement games and get onyx and never drop from it.

If the system is ANYTHING like the beta, it's going to be fucking awful...

I think H2A, while still great and far better to look at than H4 and H5, is decidedly less easy on the eyes compared to CEA. They nailed the look of Cairo Station, Earth, High Charity, and those forerunner ruins from Delta Halo/Regret. The indoor forerunner stuff looks odd though. Everything is beige and has a really flat, sterile look to it.

I'm too lazy to look up the 343 hierarchy, but was Vic DeLeon (the guy who left) really above Bouvier? If anything I got the opposite vibe from The Sprint.

I think Bouvier became Artdirector after the old one left (I'm not sure about his name...I think it was something like Scott? I'm really bad with names too be honest :/ ), wasn't Vic DeLeon just a "normal" artist?

Yeah it's not perfect but I still prefare it over what 343 does

I've generally found Halo CE to have the best enemy AI of any of the games in the franchise; was this the case for you in your CEA marathon?