CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

The problem is? 

10% of the games population won't be able to play ranked for the next 5 days? A playlist they almost wouldn't play anyway as they are new to the franchise? 

Why does it matter though? Why are you worried about people going in ranked, losing and being stuck at low ranks?

Do you not realize that's part of a healthy population in ranked playlists? You'll never see/hear/get matched up with 99% of those dudes.

The problem is? 

10% of the games population won't be able to play ranked for the next 5 days at release? A playlist they most likely won't play anyway as they are new to the franchise? 

For something that won't even bother the people it is affecting this is a superb trade off for a much better working ranking system. 

10% is a lot of people...

• Upvote (+1) 1

Why does it matter though? Why are you worried about people going in ranked, losing and being stuck at low ranks?

Do you not realize that's part of a healthy population in ranked playlists? You'll never see/hear/get matched up with 99% of those dudes.

Re-read edited text. 

I fail to understand how it makes it a better ranking system though.

It's a ranking system. You are supposed to play at the level you belong in. You are supposed to play on one account. 

I can make a new account in Halo 3 and screw anyone up to the level 50. You have lots of people doing this, you have lots of people helping others. 

It's one of the two big reasons CS does have a system in place like this. You are playing in a level where you aren't supposed to play, and you are screwing with the ranking system and people playing with you. 

I ranked at least 15 NEW accounts to 50 in Halo 3. That's only me. Think about every other person that has done this.

First of all I am not playing at the level I belong in, and second of all I am screwing everyone else playing with me. 

The problem is? 

10% of the games population won't be able to play ranked for the next 5 days at release? A playlist they most likely won't play anyway as they are new to the franchise? 

For something that won't even bother the people it is affecting this is a superb trade off for a much better working ranking system. 

If you are that one person in the world that has never played Halo before and would just love to play ranked, it's only 100 games once. 

Only 100 games? Are you shitting me? That's a week, week-and-a-half of games, IF matchmaking is efficient at launch. How the hell do you know that these people won't be interested in playing ranked at launch? You don't know that. Don't pretend to. The sooner people get their first taste of ranked, the sooner they can learn, adapt, and improve to better enjoy it. Ranked/competitive playlists have been having a hard time getting population ever since Reach, the absolute last thing in the world that should be done is to make everyone unlock it first.

And what's 10%? Fuck, what are any of these numbers? Is this dumb little restriction only going to apply to 10% of the population now?

All this just because some sweaty Clark Duke look-a-like with a cheeto dust controller might create a new account to avoid playing people of his own skill level on a video game. Jesus christ.

Being forced to play with thumbless noobs for 50+ games on the start of a new account would drive me nuts.

Alot of people will pick the game up at christmas and some of these people will be competitive players who maybe couldnt afford the game at release. Imagine telling them they are forced to play with noobs.

Have they comfired the ranking system from the beta is the final one? We definitely arent going to get a 1-50? Cause I couldnt care less if im ranked gold or semi pro tbh..... Give me a number 

I am not going to answer these 2 lasts posts as they haven't been following the conversation. We "put" a system in place for players that has been playing before. If you had a 1000 games combined the system would let you slip through.

• Downvote (-1) 1

It's a ranking system. You are supposed to play at the level you belong in. You are supposed to play on one account. 

I can make a new account in Halo 3 and screw anyone up to the level 50. You have lots of people doing this, you have lots of people helping others. 

It's one of the two big reasons CS does have a system in place like this. You are playing in a level where you aren't supposed to play, and you are screwing with the ranking system and people playing with you. 

I ranked at least 15 NEW accounts to 50 in Halo 3. That's only me. Think about every other person that has done this.

First of all I am not playing at the level I belong in, and second of all I am screwing everyone else playing with me. 

You think that's gonna solve the problem? People will just start selling accounts with 50-100 social games grinded out. "50-100 social games, no ranked games account $10", people will use those accounts, level them up and sell them back for even more.

Seasons are the only thing that need to be implemented to prevent that.

• Upvote (+1) 2

You think that's gonna solve the problem? People will just start selling accounts with 50-100 social games grinded out. "50-100 social games, no ranked games account $10", people will use those accounts, level them up and sell them back for even more.

Seasons are the only thing that need to be implemented to prevent that.

It's not there for 1 reason. That's one of the reasons. 

To protect beginners and the screwing of ranking system, to stop the selling of accounts, and to arguably let beginners practice it out in Social first. 

I, and others leveled those accounts for many reasons, and not to sell them. How many games can you get a 50 in? Can you get to 50 without losing a single game? Let's make some new tags with shitty GT's for fun and stomp everyone and all those 50's. Can you get to a 50 alone? Let's make a new account to help my friend level up. 

It's working in CS, or else it wouldn't have been there. 

I am not going to answer these 2 lasts posts as they haven't been following the conversation. We "put" a system in place for players that has been playing before. If you had a 1000 games combined the system would let you slip through.

Answer this: why do you assume that new people will have no interest in playing ranked? Didn't @@Hard Way tell you to stop telling people how to enjoy Halo? Ranked needs all the population it can get, and you want to lock a bunch of people out pre-emptively because of alts. Because lots of people give a shit about alts, totally. Beyondgaf!

• Upvote (+1) 1

Being forced to play with thumbless noobs for 50+ games on the start of a new account would drive me nuts.

Alot of people will pick the game up at christmas and some of these people will be competitive players who maybe couldnt afford the game at release. Imagine telling them they are forced to play with noobs.

Have they comfired the ranking system from the beta is the final one? We definitely arent going to get a 1-50? Cause I couldnt care less if im ranked gold or semi pro tbh..... Give me a number 

The one from the beta is the final one, with a few tweaks here and there.

No 1-50, that's an outdated system.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Answer this: why do you assume that new people will have no interest in playing ranked? Didn't @@Hard Way tell you to stop telling people how to enjoy Halo? Ranked needs all the population it can get, and you want to lock a bunch of people out pre-emptively because of alts. Beyondgaf!

I didn't say that. You can look at statistics. Social over ranked, always. Most people always played Social over ranked, in every game ever. 

I said it's a trade off for a better system. There will be some people that have to play those 100 games. You can agree or disagree but there are some many games that has this system in place, and it's there for a reason.  League of Legends or CS for example. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

The one from the beta is the final one, with a few tweaks here and there.

No 1-50, that's an outdated system.

Damn. That's disappointing. 

I didn't say that. You can look at statistics. Social over ranked, always. Most people always played Social over ranked, in every game ever. 

I said it's a trade off for a better system. There will be some people that have to play those 100 games. You can agree or disagree but there are some many games that has this system in place, and it's there for a reason.  League of Legends or CS for example. 

First, I don't really care what other games do. I'm concerned about Halo, not about Counterstrike. Second, just because social routinely has a larger population than ranked doesn't mean you won't still be screwing over a large number of prospective ranked players at a time when Halo needs all the population it can get. The trade off sucks and this new system would suck.

I kind of like this Sammy Sosa thing you're doing though. Start off speaking second language caliber English, and then gradually 'forget' more and more of the language as your argument falls apart.

First, I don't really care what other games do. I'm concerned about Halo, not about Counterstrike. Second, just because social routinely has a larger population than ranked doesn't mean you won't still be screwing over a large number of prospective ranked players at a time when Halo needs all the population it can get. The trade off sucks and this new system would suck.

I kind of like this Sammy Sosa thing you're doing though. Start off speaking second language caliber English, and then gradually 'forget' more and more of the language as your argument falls apart.

You think it sucks. I think it's a superb system. The largest and most successful games out there uses this system. They thinks it's a superb system.

If you want ranked to be successful you need a system where big guys doesn't stomp noobs for fun whenever they want to check of quickly they can get to a 50.

Wasn't the reason the ranks were implemented in Halo2 just so that people could find fair matches?

They were never supposed to be a way to wave your epeen around.

Social playlists had hidden ranks in Halo2 so that you would still be matched against players your level, and not just used for pubstomping.

The ranks were just hidden so people didn't cry and bitch when they lose as much.

Every game should be ranked so that over time you are matched against players your skill level.

They are the means to an end, a way to make sure the matches you play are against people who are as good as you, nothing more nothing less.

You don't get a cookie at the end of it regardless of how good you are.

In an ideal world, they would be able to tell your skill without the need for a grindy ranking system which is what halo3 tried behind the scenes with it's Trueskill ranking.  However as it was still tied to the "50 ranks" it was easily abused as the game couldn't figure out your true MMR if you kept winning, so your level just kept going up ridiculously fast.

Hopefully the Halo5 system being based somewhat on SC2/LoLs can figure this out better than a simple 1-50.

Seasons will also be good too, they give lapsed players a reason to return and dedicated players a reason to keep playing.  

Once you hit 50, what is there to do?   Once you hit Pro, you need to keep the grind up or you'll get moved down next time.

• Upvote (+1) 3

You think it sucks. I think it's a superb system. The largest games out there thinks it's a superb system.

The "largest games out there" are on PC. Halo is on a console, is in the midst of an identity crisis, and has trouble keeping population after a few weeks. Your system does fuck-all to fix that.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Wasn't the reason the ranks were implemented in Halo2 just so that people could find fair matches?

They were never supposed to be a way to wave your epeen around.

Social playlists had hidden ranks in Halo2 so that you would still be matched against players your level, and not just used for pubstomping.

The ranks were just hidden so people didn't cry and bitch when they lose as much.

Lots of people used them as incentive to get better. Is there something wrong with that? (Answer: no)

• Upvote (+1) 1

Lots of people used them as incentive to get better. Is that something wrong with that? (Answer: no)

However that was the byproduct of the whole matchmaking process, not the main goal.

Other than for the few % who could maybe make the leaderboards on bungie.net, the reason for the ranks was so that the matchmaking process could keep the matches fair, so they didn't match people into stomps.  Which is what tends to happen with server browsers, you have to join servers/matches blind and you've no idea if you're going into a match with good players or bad ones.

However that was the byproduct of the whole matchmaking process, not the main goal.

Other than for the few % who could maybe make the leaderboards on bungie.net, the reason for the ranks was so that the matchmaking process could keep the matches fair, so they didn't match people into stomps.  Which is what tends to happen with server browsers, you have to join servers/matches blind and you've no idea if you're going into a match with good players or bad ones.

So what?

It allows people to do both. Fair matches, and a measure of skill (who cares if people brag or whatever lol, it'll happen no matter in all activities, Halo, sports, whatever else). No need to remove part of a feature people like just because it's an unintended consequence (whether it's positive or negative).

The easiest example I can give of this, is if button combos were removed from CE or H2.

The "largest games out there" are on PC. Halo is on a console, is in the midst of an identity crisis, and has trouble keeping population after a few weeks. Your system does fuck-all to fix that.

If it can keep people interested in the ranked playlist because they aren't getting run over by people like me yes, it does. Like gingerninja said, that is after all the point of a ranking system - To give you fair matches. 

You could also try to ask the thousands of people that run over "people not at their skill level" over and over again, for whatever reason they may have nicely to stop but I doubt that will work. 

If it can keep people interested in the ranked playlist because they aren't getting run over by people like me yes, it does. Like gingerninja said, that is after all the point of a ranking system - To give you fair matches. 

You could also try to ask the thousands of people that run over "people not at their skill level" over and over again, for whatever reason they may have nicely to stop but I doubt that will work. 

Except it won't accomplish that, but okay.

I have no idea what you were trying to say with that last line.

Except it won't accomplish that, but okay.

I have no idea what you were trying to say with that last line.

Except you don't know that.

I am pretty sure it does, as I doubt players will be bothered to play those extra 100 games over and over again every time. I know I wouldn't. 

I am pretty sure it does, because the games that implemented them still have them implemented

Most players will never encounter this, as they have ONE main account they have at least 1000 games combined from previous Halo games. 

In my last line I asked you why you couldn't just ask players that stomp beginners, and fuck up the ranking system, to just stop? That would work, wouldn't it?

It will almost exclusively affect new accounts made for the purpose of bashing beginners, and having fun with the ranking system.