CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

They tried ranked BTB in Halo 3 and once you got to 15+ matchmaking times skyrocketed. Doubt it will be ranked.

That's cause of Halo 3's harsh matchmaking restrictions. Halo 2 ranked BTB, I could find games in less than a minute.

That's cause of Halo 3's harsh matchmaking restrictions. Halo 2 ranked BTB, I could find games in less than a minute.

And good teams still stomped everyone outside the ranked clan playlist. Unless 343 finds some magical work around for parties, its never going to work well.

Eh, just have an alt. account for games where you don't care about your ranks. W/ the XB One, you only need 1 gold account, then you can have as many online profiles as you want. 

sometimes I just wanna chill out and wreck some kids in a not too serious game of halo. There should be at least 2 un ranked playlists in the Arena section of Halo 5 so that people can just chill. 

Most playlists should be ranked. Social should be left for Warzone, Action Sack, and whatever other derpy playlists they're going to have.

No, minimal playlists should be ranked.

Why? Social is boring and often lopsided games with quitters galore.

that is all dependent on matchmaking systems and background skill matching. It may not be as strict as a ranked playlist but it's definitely still working, as long as 343 implements it that way.

There needs to be a value behind a rank. If every playlist is ranked, then not only are people discouraged from playing casually, or with people of varying skill levels, but it also detracts from having a rank at all.

If I'm Silver in all my playlists and Semi Pro in Team Slayer then there clearly is a loss of value, I'll be thinking I'm an all around better player. With minimal ranked playlists (1-3, max), you establish with one physical rank to represent your skill level as a player, in a playlist where it matters and where EVERYONE goes to prove their skill. If you have multiple ranked playlists, the people 'playing for their rank' will be spread too thin, and they will be mixed in with players who don't care about the rank.

Here is an example of the perfect playlist layout id come up with.

Ranked (Unlocked once reaching a certain XP rank, let's say SR5 or SR10):

- Arena Core/HCS

- Team Doubles

- Free for All

Social:

- Team Slayer

- Team Objective

- Breakout

- Team SWAT

- Team Snipers

And then rotational Double XP weekends.

You establish a social list with the core gametypes, so you can expect players to be able to choose what they want to play specifically and get into games quickly.

Then you have three broad Ranked playlists that are meant for the people who want to prove their skill in the entirety of a 4v4, 2v2 or FFA format. All popular competitive games use this strategy and I'll be really disappointed if H5 doesn't follow this route.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I still believe a Social HCS playlist will be very beneficial.

I'm just curious your opinion, but if the only difference between HCS settings and normal arena settings is radar, do you still think a social HCS playlist would help?

Social playlists are completely useless nowadays. It's just pubstomping grounds for full parties who don't feel like playing actual competition, the days of "social" playlists being consistently fun and safe for newcomers died in 2011. They need to stop tracking stats in social.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Ranked (Unlocked once reaching a certain XP rank, let's say SR5 or SR10):

- Arena Core/HCS

- Team Doubles

- Free for All

Social:

- Team Slayer

- Team Objective

- Breakout

- Team SWAT

- Team Snipers

Spot on.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'm just curious your opinion, but if the only difference between HCS settings and normal arena settings is radar, do you still think a social HCS playlist would help?

Yes, mainly because they will be able to play on even, competitive maps and play the game types on those maps. I'll use H2A as an example. Look at the actual H2A playlist and the HCS one. In the regular one you only get to play Team slayer and an occasional obj game. You don't get to play 90% of the actual game type/map combinations.

Personally, I like being able to play on the competitive maps because they are the most fair. When I play with my friends who are bad we are stuck playing Team Slayer only. But thy want to learn to play HCS with me and get good. But there is now way to help them learn the actual competitive games except for the actual playlist. Me being way better than them we would never be the same rank and I wouldn't be able to play with them and teach them.

Basically, playing social makes you play a limited game type/map set in relation to the HCS rotation. In other playlists you also play on non-competitive maps which, for the most part, are horribly unbalanced and un-fun. Allowing people to play and learn everything there is to HCS in a social setting would really help new players get adjusted to things like positioning, so that when they have to play with no radar they do a lot better. Plus some people would probably enjoy being able to just play on the most fair maps and have a radar as well. From a spectating perspective more people will understand HCS and probably watch.

Sorry of I rambled or was unclear it's hard to type my thoughts in an organized way.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Ranked:

- Arena Core/HCS

- Team Doubles

- Free for All

Social:

- Team Slayer

- Team Objective

- Breakout

- Team SWAT

- Team Snipers

And then rotational Double XP weekends.

Edit: Only saw ranked, not "locked". >_<

:wub:

Please don't lock ranked playlists unless I've played social first. That's incredibly dumb.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Quitting the build is tradition at this point, it'd be weird for halo 5 to run smoothly.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Please don't lock ranked playlists unless I've played social first. That's incredibly dumb.

So many PC games does this. CS for example. 

I am all for it. 50 Social exp Halo 3 style. 

So many PC games does this. CS for example. 

I am all for it. 50 Social exp Halo 3 style. 

Yeah, good for them but I'm not a fan. I don't want to be forced to play social games to play what I want.

EDIT: Ranks don't reset in CSGO, right? If you keep playing, your rank won't go down. Makes account selling worth it. In Halo 5, there will be seasons like Arena Reach and they'll reset, making account selling not worth it.

Don't lock me out.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Yeah, good for them but I'm not a fan. I don't want to be forced to play social games to play what I want.

EDIT: Ranks don't reset in CSGO, right? If you keep playing, your rank won't go down. Makes account selling worth it. In Halo 5, there will be seasons like Arena Reach and they'll reset, making account selling not worth it.

Don't lock me out.

Maybe based on previous history. if you have at least 1000 games combined from Halo 2 to MCC then you can jump right into it.  

You just can't make new accounts and then jump right into it, or if this is your first time ever playing Halo.

If we say 50 exp = 50 games, takes me a day or two.  

Maybe based on previous history. if you have at least 1000 games combined from Halo 2 to MCC then you can jump right into it, .  

You just can't make new accounts and then jump right into it, or if this is your first time ever playing Halo.

If we say 50 exp = 50 games, takes me a day or two.  

Locking me out of the ranked playlist for a day or two?

That's awful.

Locking me out of the ranked playlist for a day or two?

That's awful.

It might hinder boosters, and other people who will take advantage of the ranking system. This is why the other games have this. 

Since you really didn't think 50 games was anything special,  you can increase it to 3 days. 100 games. 

We can and should couple it with previous history to let serious gamers slip through. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

It might hinder boosters, and other people who will take advantage of the ranking system.

084.png

Explain, why locking me out of ranked will stop people from boosting still, ddosing, etc.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It might hinder boosters, and other people who will take advantage of the ranking system. This is why the other games have this. 

Since you really didn't think 50 games was anything special,  you can increase it to 3 days. 100 games. 

We can and should couple it with previous history to let serious gamers slip through. 

Keyword is might

All you're doing is punishing players who want to jump into ranked day one.

Keyword is might

All you're doing is punishing players who want to jump into ranked day one.

it is going to hinder many, but obviously not all. Almost everyone that has played previous Halo games will be able to jump into ranked day one. All the serious Halo players.