CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I consider it similar to losing your emblem as you transition from one game to another because it just wasn't kept in in the available choices. Sure, at the end of the day, it's not that big of a deal to most people, but for the people who care about it, it sucks. Mostly because it wouldn't have been that hard to keep it in the game.

It's just a situation where there's no reason not to just add more and more customization instead of moving backwards in some areas. It's kind of like how going from Reach to H4, we lost a ton of custom games options, Theater features, File Share, etc. for very, very questionable reasons. When a previous game innovates with cool popular features, it's ridiculous to scrap the said features without a valid reason.

What theater features did we lose exactly? I remember H4's theater being just as good, only lacking campaign theater replays, which I'm very sure was stated to have been a technical issue. Same for customs. I don't remember us losing anything. Not saying we DIDN'T, I just don't know of anything. File Share was one I remember, as Reach's was very fleshed out, and had a ton of cool crap. 

Overall, at the end of the day, I'm just glad Halo 5's armor customization isn't as neutered as MCC's

What theater features did we lose exactly? I remember H4's theater being just as good, only lacking campaign theater replays, which I'm very sure was stated to have been a technical issue. Same for customs. I don't remember us losing anything. Not saying we DIDN'T, I just don't know of anything. File Share was one I remember, as Reach's was very fleshed out, and had a ton of cool crap.

Overall, at the end of the day, I'm just glad Halo 5's armor customization isn't as neutered as MCC's.

We used to be able to watch films with up to 3 other people, then they got rid of that for Reach and H4 where you could only watch them on your own.

Its frustrating, we seem to keep getting downgrades...we should be getting upgrades, they could add things into it like watching the film from anyone's first person view rather than only your own.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Do we know how weapon skins are going to work in arena? Are they only available for your starting weapons? Meaning the skins for guns like the shotgun are only available in warzone?

We used to be able to watch films with up to 3 other people, then they got rid of that for Reach and H4 where you could only watch them on your own.

Its frustrating, we seem to keep getting downgrades...we should be getting upgrades, they could add things into it like watching the film from anyone's first person view rather than only your own.

Really? We used to be able to do that? I TRIED that and it wouldn't work. Said I had too many people in both H3 and Reach.

Do we know how weapon skins are going to work in arena? Are they only available for your starting weapons? Meaning the skins for guns like the shotgun are only available in warzone?

Im pretty sure any skin works in arena

What theater features did we lose exactly? I remember H4's theater being just as good, only lacking campaign theater replays, which I'm very sure was stated to have been a technical issue. Same for customs. I don't remember us losing anything. Not saying we DIDN'T, I just don't know of anything. File Share was one I remember, as Reach's was very fleshed out, and had a ton of cool crap. 

Overall, at the end of the day, I'm just glad Halo 5's armor customization isn't as neutered as MCC's

We lost campaign theater, literally the biggest tool for speedrunners to have. There was one speedrunning/campaign community that died out because of it.

The ability to watch films with 4 people was gone (I believe Reach removed it).

Really? We used to be able to do that? I TRIED that and it wouldn't work. Said I had too many people in both H3 and Reach.

To my knowledge, you can only watch with one person in MCC. In Xbox 360 Halo 3, you could watch films with three friends, film clips often never worked.

Halo: Reach was limited to one person.

• Upvote (+1) 6

To my knowledge, only starting weapons will work for Arena. Stuff like Kelly's shotgun are power weapons for Warzone.

No, it probably said someone else had better connection and had to be the party leader. 

You had to let everyone rejoin you to fix that. 

there was a leaked menu where you could see the Costomization menu as well. you have 3 sub categories (spartan appearances, spartan ID, weapon skins) if you select "weapon skins" you can change the skin for Pistol,AR,BR, DMR and SMG

Would be cool, if whenever you picked a weapon up it would have your skin you've chosen for that specific weapon on it. Surely that's not too hard to do?

• Upvote (+1) 4

Yet their behavior with mcc says its all about sales and the need to limit the damage that non working dedis yield.

It's about revenue streams, which encompasses but not entirely limited to game sales. With 343i switching to a multiplayer intensive focus with H5, its clear that they realise maintaining a healthy game population is a key strategic value to increasing overall net cash inflows. This is shown through their pushing 20 disc maps with the game, and a minimum of 15 FREE DLC maps through June of 2016, with the possibility of additional maps afterwards. This alone, if managed properly, should help increase multiplayer replay value, and help sustain population numbers. Also, with their move towards microtransactions with REQ Packs, they're deependent on retaining population numbers to keep strong microtransaction sales to offset the revenue lost by making DLC free.

I have faith that Halo 5 will be a solid game that maintains a much healthier population level than past titles.

Also, it's a bit unfair to judge H5 off the massive failure that MCC was. The failure of MCC was more a Microsoft flub than it was 343is. he studio was tasked with pumping out a massive game on a skeleton crew of second and third stream developers, with the vast majority of the game outsourced to other studios. Halo 5, however, has the full studio behind it.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Would be cool, if whenever you picked a weapon up it would have your skin you've chosen for that specific weapon on it. Surely that's not too hard to do?

The whole point is to show off and when you die and someone else picks up your gun, having your skin on it is exactly how to do that.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The whole point is to show off and when you die and someone else picks up your gun, having your skin on it is exactly how to do that.

What's the point in non starting weapons having skins? Like the shotgun...other than Warzone, you'll never use the skin.

• Upvote (+1) 1

What's the point in non starting weapons having skins? Like the shotgun...other than Warzone, you'll never use the skin.

Welcome to Halo 5's customization.

Seriously though, I will never understand how people can justify the removal of in-depth armor customization with weapon and armor skins. Especially when they might as well only be in Warzone, considering how limited they'd be in Arena.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Welcome to Halo 5's customization.

Seriously though, I will never understand how people can justify the removal of in-depth armor customization with weapon and armor skins. Especially when they might as well only be in Warzone, considering how limited they'd be in Arena.

"It's a new gametype..."

"I never really liked armor customization anwyay..."

"Stop complaining and be happy you're getting it..."

Basically there is no reason why. But people will defend it to the death.

• Upvote (+1) 5

You say that like Warzone is going to be ignored by 99% of the population. Arena and Warzone are going to be 50/50 most of the time and I can tell you that the Warzone population is going to love the weapon skins on the Shotguns, etc. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

100% for that. Been wondering why that's such a hurdle with theater in Halo titles.

No, it probably said someone else had better connection and had to be the party leader. 

You had to let everyone rejoin you to fix that. 

Probs. Would've been useful to know 7 years ago. XP 

People have already explained it, so I won't repeat it. Also, it's been heavily speculated (can't remember if ever confirmed) that Halo 4 campaign Theater was removed because of the quick time events... y'know, the feature that most people didn't really like and ended up ruining the final boss fight. When you detach the cam during those (through modding), it shows the player model as very disjointed and glitchy – it's also why QTEs did not happen on split screen, but only on one screen. I assume it was too much work to redo every single QTE to make it look nice in third person, so the whole Theater support for campaign was scrapped altogether.

For most people it was just "eh whatever", but it ended up having a very negative impact on the speedrunning community, making speedrunning not as accessible due to requiring a capture card or something similar.

This said, I understand what you mean about MCC's armor customization and I entirely agree, but I feel like it's not fair to have lowered standards because at some point, one specific game didn't deliver. If that was the case, I'd be 100% satisfied with any first person shooter that isn't Halo 4 because I just hated it this much (throw in all the Call of Duty games, Destiny PvP, Titanfall, etc.), but I think it's better to have solid standards based on the entire history of the franchise in order to push developers to put the best product possible out there, and have great/valuable improvements rather than go through a cycle of good game -> bad game -> good -> bad -> good, and so on, in order to keep selling games without having to think too hard or putting cool and innovative features in them.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I think it's far more immersive to have your own, favorite weapon design on demand, in every playlist, rather sitting there thinking of what some random person might be thinking about the weapon you died with and they maybe picked up. It doesn't even show who owns the weapon either, unlike CS:GO, because the UI doesn't show weapon names once picked up.

Req packs could sell far more if not limited to 4-5 weapons in Arena (2-3 of which won't be used at all as loadouts), and applied to all the weapons picked up. If someone doesn't have a skin toggled on for the reskinned weapon you dropped, then the skin stays on for them to appreciate.

Exclude Legendary weapons with unique traits from this (their skins should stay on just to indicate which specific weapon it is), and I think it's a much better concept than the current one.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I agree. Everything else doesnt make much sense to me. It works that way with the vehicles in Battlefield 4 for example.

- Tank spawns black/neutral.

- Player A takes the tank and the tank gets a green skin.

- Player A leaves the tank and it remains green.

- Player B takes the tank and the tank gets a red skin.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I agree. Everything else doesnt make much sense to me. It works that way with the vehicles in Battlefield 4 for example.

- Tank spawns black/neutral.

- Player A takes the tank and the tank gets a green skin.

- Player A leaves the tank and it remains green.

- Player B takes the tank and the tank gets a red skin.

If it isn't like this I'll be pretty disappointed. The fact that we haven't heard any more specific details on this subject (arena weapon skins) is a little troubling. Here's to hoping that they have this announcement planned for an IGN First or something lol.

Sorry but that wouldn't make sense, if you're playing Arena skins only effect the starting weapon, you choose your favourite Pistol skin and you start with it. Since everybody starts with a pistol you will constantly pick up amunition so picking up a diffrent pistol from an enemy is only usefull if you want to show off by killing him with his own weapon.

In Warzone you have diffrent card with diffrent stats, you don't have a "favoutite tank" so if you get into a tank that someone else "ordered", it will still be the same tank that person had!

See if you have 3 tank REQ card (red, blue, green) and the enemy has a black tank, how should the game know if it should turn the tank into a red, blue or green one if you enter it? It will just remain black!

We lost campaign theater, literally the biggest tool for speedrunners to have. There was one speedrunning/campaign community that died out because of it.

The ability to watch films with 4 people was gone (I believe Reach removed it).

To my knowledge, you can only watch with one person in MCC. In Xbox 360 Halo 3, you could watch films with three friends, film clips often never worked.

Halo: Reach was limited to one person.

What happened to Halo's speedrunning community after the release of Halo 4 was rather unfortunate; the skill, effort and time that goes into discovering and perfecting the tricks they use for various runs is incredible and they produce(d) some of the most interesting and entertaining Halo campaign videos. I hope 343i manage to bring back Theater mode for the campaign for Halo 5, if not at launch, then shortly after (paging @@Sal1ent). Not only is it a great tool for the community, but it also benefits 343i as it makes it much easier for individual players to produce Halo campaign content, including walkthroughs and 'Lets Plays,' and then share these on YouTube or other platforms.

You say that like Warzone is going to be ignored by 99% of the population. Arena and Warzone are going to be 50/50 most of the time and I can tell you that the Warzone population is going to love the weapon skins on the Shotguns, etc.

Warzone is probably going to be the most popular playlist...I know that, but the point I'm making is what's the point in non starting weapons having skins if there'll only be 1 playlist that you'll ever see them in?

For players that'll only play arena it means nothing that they get a weapon skin for a shotgun. Maybe its 343's way of getting more people playing Warzone, either way I just feel there could be a better way of doing it.

Maybe for starting weapons the skins stays the one you've chosen no matter who picks it up, and non starting weapons work similar to BF4's vehicles (as Lambo said), where the skin changes depending on who is using it.

That might overcomplicate it though.

I miss quickly opening up someone's file share and looking at their screenshots and film clips :/. I miss how social halo used to be. I hope halo 5 can bring some of it back.

• Upvote (+1) 8