CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

You know what irrates me? People who think resolution and framerate do not matter in the year 2015.

You talk about it at all for Halo 5 (or most games in general) and they just start saying "it's only the gameplay that matters! The beta looked fine on my 50inch TV in 720p! Real fans wouldn't care!"

That's bullshit. People settle for too little and that's why companies think it's OK. What's wrong with having "gameplay" AND a good resolution/FPS?

I am going to laugh if Halo 5 is not native 1080p, despite taking out splitscreen and pissing a ton of people off.

• Upvote (+1) 2

All I want from Halo 5's technical specifications is a stable framerate. Framerate problems completely ruined the MCC for me (on top of everything else).

You know what irrates me? People who think resolution and framerate do not matter in the year 2015.

You talk about it at all for Halo 5 (or most games in general) and they just start saying "it's only the gameplay that matters! The beta looked fine on my 50inch TV in 720p! Real fans wouldn't care!"

That's bullshit. People settle for too little and that's why companies think it's OK. What's wrong with having "gameplay" AND a good resolution/FPS?

I am going to laugh if Halo 5 is not native 1080p, despite taking out splitscreen and pissing a ton of people off.

Yeah, H5 is not going to be native 1080p.

If you look at the 1080p/60fps games on the X1 you'll see they almost entirely consist of sports games, racing games and remasters.

That said I'd argue 1080p really isn't that important. The difference between it and 900p is fairly minimal and for the vast majority of people will only be noticeable with direct comparisons of the same game running side by side. Even then you have to look for the differences. This isn't something which is going to have any major effect on playing the game.

That's bullshit. People settle for too little and that's why companies think it's OK. What's wrong with having "gameplay" AND a good resolution/FPS?

There's nothing wrong with wanting, or having it if possible on a console, but is it REALLY going to hamper you if the game runs a dynamic resolution which possibly dips to 900p, or even 720p? Probably not. Framerate's something to be bothered about, but from what we've seen, 60FPS probably won't be an issue, especially since the B-roll of "Blue Team", which despite having a ton of things going on, showed a near solid 60, and only had one dip for, ironically, a cinematic moment in game, regarding the Hunters. Beta ran smoothly.

I haven't really been keeping up on halo 5 news, have they said anything about making breakout with full shields would make it 10x better.

Just a reminder guys that the latest Waypoint Survey closes on the 20th (Thursday).

Really wish we could talk about the latest survey. Good stuff in there!

• Upvote (+1) 1

Well there's nothing You can do if a machine can't handle these "necessities" 

But I agree with you they took out Split Screen which in the first place is wrong entirely but the worst part for me is still not getting the game to work on 1080p res

That's bullshit. People settle for too little and that's why companies think it's OK. What's wrong with having "gameplay" AND a good resolution/FPS?

Looks like you'll be laughing. The game will be 1080pr

Just a reminder guys that the latest Waypoint Survey closes on the 20th (Thursday).

Huh? Never heard of a survey, do you have a link for me please? Or where can I find it?

100% this, this months was very very pleasing given the questions. If you haven't done it, get it done!

• Upvote (+1) 2

There is an option to where you can either Hold Jump to Clamber or Tap Jump to Clamber.

A lot of us wish Hold to Clamber wasn't an option.

Ok, I'll be using tap to clamber then. I don't want to be in the middle of a gunfight and then I suddenly get the clamber animation on a jump I thought I could make without clamber.

Clamber forcing players to drop their gun and look a certain direction is probably the worst thing about it. The mechanic can't be used in more than one scenario disallowing any real creativity. The skill jump problem can be alleviated by having more complex jumps like the one we saw on fathom, or having jumps that don't allow clamber, but the inflexibility of the mechanic is a bit of a bummer.

Clamber is good for easy general map navigation, but doesn't really allow anything beyond that. Would rather have limited wall jumping instead.

• Upvote (+1) 2

2 changes they can make right away to make improve Clamber:

-Increase the animation from .90 seconds to 1.2 - 1.5 seconds

-Make the Clamber window smaller

What are you guys going on about with tap to Clamber vs hold to Clamber? 

I mean, I don't like clamber, but how it making it even slower solving the problem?

There's no need to make it just plain worse to use. As it is right now, it's possible to get a good grenade out or shots to get a significant advantage in a battle with someone using clamber. Also, don't forget that some maps are designed with clamber-specific jumps/routes in mind. 

The window should be smaller and it shouldn't be hold to clamber, but advocating slowing down how fast people can get back into fights is a mistake.

And to answer the question, people are advocating for tap to clamber instead of hold to so it at least requires some timing (similar to crouch jumping, which isn't much of a feat of its own, just timing).

I'm not going to lie, while I do feel like clamber removes skill jumping, I feel like the community is blowing it's impact on the game out of proportion. 

I just feel like Clamber will just add cool new routes to maps. It ADDS creativity instead of taking away from it. I do like the tap to clamber option, but I don't really get why people care about tap vs hold to clamber

• Upvote (+1) 2

Hold to clamber will be just like auto-stabilize... used at lower ranks because it's easier, but not used at higher levels where it can cause mess-ups by causing the user to mistakenly clamber or stabilize in the middle of battle... and get melted. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

People actually use auto-stabilise?

It's at least as annoying and accident-prone as toggle crouch, probably more so.

Manual stabilisers? Useful.

Auto-stabilisers? Giving away free kills.

Is Auto-stabilize that thing that made you float when you scoped mid-air? 

I actually kinda enjoyed that. It was definitely annoying as hell, but damn did it feel goofy to get a kill with that. Especially with a sniper. 

People actually use auto-stabilise?

It's at least as annoying and accident-prone as toggle crouch, probably more so.

Manual stabilisers? Useful.

Auto-stabilisers? Giving away free kills.

What's are the inputs for manual stabilizers? I didn't even know it was a thing until much later after the beta, so I never got to test it out.

Truth is, I've been playing a lot of Destiny as a Warlock with Angel of Light to find uses for auto-stabilizers (it's essentially the same thing), and I will admit it gets in the way more often than not, but there's also definitely room for sick plays if you can find your way past that.

What's are the inputs for manual stabilizers? I didn't even know it was a thing until much later after the beta, so I never got to test it out.

Truth is, I've been playing a lot of Destiny as a Warlock with Angel of Light to find uses for auto-stabilizers (it's essentially the same thing), and I will admit it gets in the way more often than not, but there's also definitely room for sick plays if you can find your way past that.

I ran Angel of Light with No Land Beyond and it was honestly ridiculously fun. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I ran Angel of Light with No Land Beyond and it was honestly ridiculously fun. 

That's initially what I was going for, but I couldn't make sense of the NLB's sight (where to place the reticle for a headshot) and the ridiculous amount of swaying the gun has when aiming it, so I got bored of it and just went with a MIDA instead.

It's still tons of fun though.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I mean, I don't like clamber, but how it making it even slower solving the problem?

There's no need to make it just plain worse to use. As it is right now, it's possible to get a good grenade out or shots to get a significant advantage in a battle with someone using clamber. Also, don't forget that some maps are designed with clamber-specific jumps/routes in mind. 

The window should be smaller and it shouldn't be hold to clamber, but advocating slowing down how fast people can get back into fights is a mistake.

And to answer the question, people are advocating for tap to clamber instead of hold to so it at least requires some timing (similar to crouch jumping, which isn't much of a feat of its own, just timing).

I don't think it should be slowed down either. That was more of a suggestion directed towards the post that said the time you cannot shoot will have "no effect on gameplay". 

• Upvote (+1) 1