CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Here's an easy to digest explanation of why Clamber is a bad thing, for those who don't see the problem:

The problem with clamber is that a big part of skill jumping (and jumping in general) is landing the jump.

With clamber, you don't need to land the jump! You can miss the jump, and not get punished for it! How great is that.

The fact that you don't need to land jumps anymore takes away a fair amount of skill in traditional Halo jumping, which is a bad thing. Clamber is bad.

• Upvote (+1) 8

I wish it wasn't "hold A to clamber". If it was at least "press A to clamber", forcing you to time the jump by pressing the button at the right time, it would at least add some skill. I agree clamber in general is bad, but the "hold A" just makes it much worse.

Here's an easy to digest explanation of why Clamber is a bad thing, for those who don't see the problem:

The problem with clamber is that a big part of skill jumping (and jumping in general) is landing the jump.

With clamber, you don't need to land the jump! You can miss the jump, and not get punished for it! How great is that.

The fact that you don't need to land jumps anymore takes away a fair amount of skill in traditional Halo jumping, which is a bad thing. Clamber is bad.

unless there are jumps that can't be clambered, which we've seen. Clamber only makes jumps that require crouching easier to finish, many jumps are more complex, require a weapon, or don't require crouch jumping at all, only awareness of the map.

Yeah clamber makes aspects of the game easier no doubt, but it does have the added benefit of allowing ease of map movement at a basic level, it can encourage more vertical design(which we really haven't seen since reach). It has its benefits and detriments, and IMO should be more flexible, but it really is not all that bad, redundant certainly, but not the end of the world.

Limited Wall jumping is a much better alternative though I have to say.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I wish it wasn't "hold A to clamber". If it was at least "press A to clamber", forcing you to time the jump by pressing the button at the right time, it would at least add some skill. I agree clamber in general is bad, but the "hold A" just makes it much worse.

it is both hold and press based on what you set it to be. Although, I'm sure most people will pick hold because it's easier.

Did anyone experiment with nade launching in the H5 beta? Is it going to be like nade launching in H1 where you could safely nade weapons across the map?

It sure wold be fun to see that minute countdown until sniper spawns and someone on each team set up a nade launch and throw nades at the same time and launch the snipe to bumfuck nowhere so no one gets to use it...

I experimented with it quite a bit in the beta (as much as possible anyway in a pvp scenario). It isn't anywhere near H1 levels of launching a snipe to top blue on HeH, but it is far enough. Example, a ton of games in the beta were won off an initial sword grab on Truth. I figured out how to nade it directly to out pink street for a teammate to grab on his way to P2. Giving us the advantage off the start. 

Sniper on Empire (i may have map names wrong, it was either Eden or Empire) could be naded at start too. This one was more difficult and I usually ended up nading it off the map instead of to us. I think it's a nice balance between the super launches in H1 and not being able to do it. Could certainly design maps around it in forge, doubt 343 will do that with their maps though.

"There's really satisfying things like just about making a jump and hitting the clamber button at the last second and making it, the way you felt like you should have made it." - Frankie

Except you shouldn't havebutwhatdoiknow

• Upvote (+1) 3

I experimented with it quite a bit in the beta (as much as possible anyway in a pvp scenario). It isn't anywhere near H1 levels of launching a snipe to top blue on HeH, but it is far enough. Example, a ton of games in the beta were won off an initial sword grab on Truth. I figured out how to nade it directly to out pink street for a teammate to grab on his way to P2. Giving us the advantage off the start. 

Sniper on Empire (i may have map names wrong, it was either Eden or Empire) could be naded at start too. This one was more difficult and I usually ended up nading it off the map instead of to us. I think it's a nice balance between the super launches in H1 and not being able to do it. Could certainly design maps around it in forge, doubt 343 will do that with their maps though.

I'd say it's very versatile for the maps it played on. Hang 'em High is a big map with a huge ceiling, whereas Truth and Empire seem much more compact. I think the grenade launching is good enough for the maps I used it on.

All this h5 hype... Xb1 relies on cloud computing. Does anyone see a functioning product that uses this design today on xb1 under stress of high population? If mcc is any example h5 will be the h6 beta that will fall flat on its face all day long for weeks after launch. But hey it looked good in the controlled h5 beta.

All this h5 hype... Xb1 relies on cloud computing. Does anyone see a functioning product that uses this design today on xb1 under stress of high population? If mcc is any example h5 will be the h6 beta that will fall flat on its face all day long for weeks after launch.

Beta ran smoothly for three weeks.

Missing a jump is still possible, it's just you now have more range and height. Just like you had more range and height in Halo 3 compared to Reach. That doesn't mean skill jumping is harder in Reach does it? No, because the maps are designed to accommodate the increase in mobility just the same as they are in Halo 5.

Soo....... How about we talk about things that we could "possibly" influence? (which may be nothing?)

Sprint/Clamber/ADS/etc. are not going anywhere.

Missing a jump is still possible, it's just you now have more range and height. Just like you had more range and height in Halo 3 compared to Reach. That doesn't mean skill jumping is harder in Reach does it? No, because the maps are designed to accommodate the increase in mobility just the same as they are in Halo 5.

crouch jumping is definitely harder than clambering, yeah you could miss a ledge in 5, but it won't happen often.

Soo....... How about we talk about things that we could "possibly" influence?

Sprint/Clamber/ADS/etc. are not going anywhere anytime soon.

Sure, how about removing sprint and clamber from tournaments?

That's not gonna happen.

• Upvote (+1) 1

clearly you missed the second line of my post.

Sprint is in H5 and isnt going anywhere.

Just because maps are designed around clamber, doesn't change the fundamental problem with it: making skill jumps requires a simple button press now. There's no input besides pressing A and facing the ledge. Even if the maps are designed around clamber, they won't be particularly hard because even if you don't make it on top of the platform, you still have a way to get up. Crouch jumping is now negligible because at the height that a crouch jump will be possible, a clamber will be, too.

That's not gonna happen.

You never know. From what I saw at Gamescom, that higher base speed looks perfect for maps this size now. If the Pro's and community push for it, there's definitely a chance it could go away.

crouch jumping is definitely harder than clambering, yeah you could miss a ledge in 5, but it won't happen often.

Why are you comparing crouch jumping to clambering? You should compare regular jumping to clamber and crouch jumping to boost jumping.

The complaints over skill jumps and clamber still elude me to this day. .-. Especially given how easy "skill" jumping is on its own already (To me, at least. I don't at all see a challenge behind it unless there's some secret learning curve to it.) I either, crouch jump my way up, or get an animation to do it. It's not gamebreaking either. It's not like they took out crouch jumping. *Shrug*

• Downvote (-1) 1

So has there been any talk about custom games being able to hold up to 24 people at all? Did they address it yet? It would be ridiculous for it not to work since its already in the game. Pretty much no excuse now for there not to be at least 24 people in a game at this point since other games such as Battlefield have been doing it for years now.

clearly you missed the second line of my post.

Sprint is in H5 and isnt going anywhere.

I thought we can turn sprint and other Spartan abilities off in custom games, why not tournaments?

The complaints over skill jumps and clamber still elude me to this day. .-. Especially given how easy "skill" jumping is on its own already (To me, at least. I don't at all see a challenge behind it unless there's some secret learning curve to it.) I either, crouch jump my way up, or get an animation to do it. It's not gamebreaking either. It's not like they took out crouch jumping. *Shrug*

Because with skill jumps, you either make it to the top, or you don't. There's no "get near it and you'll be able to climb up". It's making input like positioning and timing irrelevant when you can reach near an edge and press A.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Because with skill jumps, you either make it to the top, or you don't. There's no "get near it and you'll be able to climb up". It's making input like positioning and timing irrelevant when you can reach near an edge and press A.

You can still miss the jump and not be able to clamber. It's not like everyone can just pull off a clamber when need be, given you still need to time it, and jump properly, or miss.