CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

For sure. I'll always give Reach credit for its casual features and re-playability. Solid netcode and everything worked day one.

With that said, the gameplay sucked ass, the maps sucked ass, and only one playlist had the tier system (which was littered with jetpacks and shit maps).

Not a good time for competitive. The casual experience was spot on though.

Agreed on all fronts competitively. I forgot how much of a train wreck The Arena was... Didn't they remove that playlist entirely?

It was a shame, since the core idea for it was solid. The execution was way, way lacking however.

I feel like Reach gets too much of a bad reputation. Yeah the multiplayer was quite problematic (I still enjoyed it though :P), but when looked at holistically, it has the best art direction in the series, a solid campaign with the best character writing in the series, a well-ballanced weapon sandbox, an extensive Forge mode, an EXTREMELY customizable Firefight mode, it introduced better custom game options and improved File Share (that worked DAY ONE), some

, etc.

It all goes to show that there was a lot of love poured into the game, and regardless of our individual feelings on it, I think we can agree on that much.

Reach wasn't a bad game, but the core factors for MP were definitely messed up. The sandbox got nerfed big time after the beta and was for the most part balanced around a DMR with ridiculous bloom. The pistol used to be a beast until it got shit on, and everything else did in consequence. Player movement was awfully sluggish for how powerful explosions were. And to me the way spartans looked wasn't that great compared to Halo 3, but I guess they were intended to look bulkier and more... whatever they were, since they were older spartans. Though they made sense in the theme of the game and overall it still looked good.

The ranking system was also awfully forgettable. For having MANY onyx 1%s across various seasons, I can tell you that it got to a point where at a certain time of the day, it was impossible to find matches against people. Matchmaking was far too strict at the highest level. It was also stupidly hidden like 5 pages deep on your service record, so no one really cared about it. The maps were also all weird because Bungie wanted and needed them to make sense in the campaign environment. I've always blamed the fact that almost none of the maps were symmetrical due to this, but we'll never know. Then there's AAs and a super OP version of sprint I'm not even going to talk about.

Overall, it was a well-designed game, but pretty much everything relating to multiplayer was messed up in one way or another.

Even if this is the gay counter part of the game I like it more:

2vxeweu.jpg

Haha, he likes the pipe over the butt!

jk I love the pro pipe too, it was the best part of the game... butts excluded.

Reach wasn't a bad game, but the core factors for MP were definitely messed up. The sandbox got nerfed big time after the beta and was for the most part balanced around a DMR with ridiculous bloom. The pistol used to be a beast until it got shit on, and everything else did in consequence. Player movement was awfully sluggish for how powerful explosions were. And to me the way spartans looked wasn't that great compared to Halo 3, but I guess they were intended to look bulkier and more... whatever they were, since they were older spartans. Though they made sense in the theme of the game and overall it still looked good.

The ranking system was also awfully forgettable. For having MANY onyx 1%s across various seasons, I can tell you that it got to a point where at a certain time of the day, it was impossible to find matches against people. Matchmaking was far too strict at the highest level. It was also stupidly hidden like 5 pages deep on your service record, so no one really cared about it. The maps were also all weird because Bungie wanted and needed them to make sense in the campaign environment. I've always blamed the fact that almost none of the maps were symmetrical due to this, but we'll never know. Then there's AAs and a super OP version of sprint I'm not even going to talk about.

Overall, it was a well-designed game, but pretty much everything relating to multiplayer was messed up in one way or another.

Yo the Beta almost had balance perfect. The Plasma Weapons were super powerful, the magnum was godlike, the DMR was good but not OP and the NR was a solid weapon. All they had to do coming off of that was nerf the nades and buff the movement (and the melees were hilariously broken haha). Instead they buffed the DMR and NR and nerfed just about everything else. 

Honestly that game would have been perfect Halo wise if Bungie stuck to the Halo formula. If they wanted "abilities", they should have made a short Sprint for both classes and then did the thruster ability for Spartans and sidestep ability for Elites. The rest of the AAs were pointless, especially that goddamn armor lock. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Reach 

I spent a lot of this past weekend playing it because I had to make a drastic shift to my sleep cycle and Halo keeps me alert and the more annoying thing was just the sound.  In past Halos you could tell where someone was roughly, when weapons were spawning, etc, but in reach you can't really.  I constantly hear people sprint towards me and start looking around, but they'll be nowhere to be found.   On Asylum I've been able to hear guys sprinting at me from shotgun while I'm at healthpack.  It kinda takes me out of it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It doesn't really make sense that a Railgun would be projectile...

just lower the sticky auto-aim and bullet-mag, and it'll all be gucci. 

Keep real world sense out of it. 

About every weapon should be projectile no matter what. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I spent a lot of this past weekend playing it because I had to make a drastic shift to my sleep cycle and Halo keeps me alert and the more annoying thing was just the sound.  In past Halos you could tell where someone was roughly, when weapons were spawning, etc, but in reach you can't really.  I constantly hear people sprint towards me and start looking around, but they'll be nowhere to be found.   On Asylum I've been able to hear guys sprinting at me from shotgun while I'm at healthpack.  It kinda takes me out of it.

I like the Sprint pant more than the stupid armor clunk, but it was definitely deception. I don't think they mixed it right and it made playing no radar gametypes like SWAT too frantic. 

I like that you could hear things around the map though and I didn't have much trouble discerning the distance of other things. I could actually hear vehicles and grenades across Forge World.

It doesn't really make sense that a Railgun would be projectile...

just lower the sticky auto-aim and bullet-mag, and it'll all be gucci.

a rail gun shoots projectiles in real life, They're just accelerated electromagnetically. Rail guns are a real thing, they're just not nearly as cool, or practical.

That's if realism mattered in a game.

as far as i'm concerned, Halo 5 is already better than the last 3 games (minus the good parts of Reach).

And I say that as someone who didn't like the beta. 

Your'e right: Halo 4, Reach, and Odst. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

the game felt similar to default h3 to be honest imo, even with all the new stuff and better weapons.

the game felt similar to default h3 to be honest imo, even with all the new stuff and better weapons.

Did you play without using ads, climbing and sprint on the Forge maps all day?

I can then see the same feels you might have gotten. 

I like the Sprint pant more than the stupid armor clunk

Here's a riddle, what to do in an FFA when someone goes into Armor Lock?

At least Halo 5's abilities are all movement based, so it's got that going for it.

I kinda wish ground pound required sniper accuracy and did massive damage.  I think I would respect it more if that was the case.

ODST doesn't count, otherwise I'd have to include Spartan Assault and Halo Wars   :kappa:

I think the game looks like it could be better than any of the main games since the original, aside from the non-gameplay things in Reach that are part of Bungie's legacy. 

I was being hasty though because we don't know how Halo 5's maps will hold up. I'm not convinced from what we've seen so far. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Here's a riddle, what to do in an FFA when someone goes into Armor Lock?

At least Halo 5's abilities are all movement based, so it's got that going for it.

I kinda wish ground pound required sniper accuracy and did massive damage. I think I would respect it more if that was the case.

I like what they did with ground pound. You can do it from any height, but it doesnt kill unless you're high enough.

I like what they did with ground pound. You can do it from any height, but it doesnt kill unless you're high enough.

Is that how it works now? That's an interesting change. 

I didn't know the Ground Pound was so controversial. The only thing I don't care for is the suspended animation during thrusting. It looks clunky.  

What can you do out of a normal jump?

Did you play without using ads, climbing and sprint on the Forge maps all day?

I can then see the same feels you might have gotten.

ads didn't feel different to me on the precision weapons, like I just ran around with the pistol the whole time. The difficulty of the weapons to use generally felt similar to 3, the pace of the game, the movement and strafe speeds, pretty much reminded me of default 3 as well. The beta was certainly its own beast but reminded me of default 3 in many ways. Of course, most of these things needed to get better after the beta, so hopefully the final game doesn't remind me of default 3 as much since it's not the best halo has ever been.

Is that how it works now? That's an interesting change. 

I didn't know the Ground Pound was so controversial. The only thing I don't care for is the suspended animation during thrusting. It looks clunky.

that's actually not as long as the animation looks, like you can shoot for a second while the gun is still down, something I noticed during a game on empire.

ads didn't feel different to me on the precision weapons, like I just ran around with the pistol the whole time. The difficulty of the weapons to use generally felt similar to 3, the pace of the game, the movement and strafe speeds, pretty much reminded me of default 3 as well. The beta was certainly its own beast but reminded me of 3 in many ways.

We don't really share that feeling as there are as many things that are different as indifferent. 

Obviously, all the Halo games have things in common, as they are shooters. 

Halo 5 felt like Halo 4 gameplay with Reach graphics to me, but ultimately clunkier than both. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt since it was a beta, but controlling it didn't feel responsive like those games. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Halo 5 felt like Halo 4 gameplay with Reach graphics to me, but ultimately clunkier than both. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt since it was a beta, but controlling it didn't feel responsive like those games.

precision gun play felt infinitely better than both to me, with the 4, that is what made me stop playing it, the gunplay was just trash IMO, it was far too boring due to its ease. I think 343 said responsiveness was upgraded after the beta, flame sword said something similar as well.

precision gun play felt infinitely better than both to me, with the 4, that is what made me stop playing it, the gunplay was just trash IMO, it was far too boring due to its ease. I think 343 said responsiveness was upgraded after the beta, flame sword said something similar as well.

that's good to know. i loved the BR and LR but couldn't get a handle on any of the other weapons. 

I personally like the way they implemented ADS. it just needs tweaks because some of the scopes were too distracting. 

• Upvote (+1) 1