CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

BTB falls under "Arena".

So you think the 9 arena maps that will come by June 2016 include the BTB maps? Then you're probably looking at 6 BTB maps and 3 competitive maps. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Ehhhhhh... The only contrast I really see with The Pit is the yellow (the others are greens, beige and gray/blue, which meld well with each other), and even then, it's just bordered around the map, with no real "purpose" (Design wise, but that's another story). It might be just me, but it feels "there" just to add contrast to the map, which, in one sense, I could see, but it just seems... "too" contrast-y and slightly pushy towards my vision. I just feel there needs to be subtly to it. The red and blues of Coliseum "gently" melding along the grays and whites might not be as out there as the Pit was, but to be frank, I like it, as it isn't obtrusive, but rather more subtle as I like. You're slowly introduced to the colors, rather than them just BEING there when you turn a corner, which I love. My criticism with the Pit also goes hand in hand with Asylum on Reach. The gray used on the bases, compared to the green for the grass is just HORRIBLY pushy in terms of color to me. It makes the base stand out a helluva lot more, but also makes it seem really out of place, in a sense. That's just me.

I think what I meant by that is that your eyes aren't really drawn anywhere around the structure, and there isn't really any breathing room design wise (though this is more due to 343's insistence on adding heaps of visual noise to everything, the color palette just kind of accentuates that). Perhaps "contrast" or wasn't appropriate or specific enough in this case (color probably wasn't the biggest culprit to pick on, TBH)

The Pit isn't really anything to write home about in terms of design (though exudes function, but that's another matter), but I disagree with what you say about its color scheme serving no purpose. It's a UNSC training facility, so the colors have to be deliberate and clear for troops to effectively aim and shoot. The yellow/green color choice also works well for me unlike you though (I probably would have chosen a different shade of green if I had the chance, however).

I wholeheartedly agree with you on Reach's Forge color palette. Physically Based Rendering really would have helped a lot.

So you think the 9 arena maps that will come by June 2016 include the BTB maps? Then you're probably looking at 6 BTB maps and 3 competitive maps.

No idea. We don't have any idea if these BTB maps will fall under the 15+ DLC maps or not.

When we go from maps that look like this

9XZgxsD.jpg

To maps that look like this..

oSHymje.jpg

#immersion

Or maps like this

NsQ9ORh.jpg

To this

Y9DNtEm.jpg

Bonus immersion: if gameplay sounds like Pinball Wizard 2.7 2k17

The Halo 5 maps looks better.

I think what I meant by that is that your eyes aren't really drawn anywhere around the structure, and there isn't really any breathing room design wise (though this is more due to 343's insistence on adding heaps of visual noise to everything, the color palette just kind of accentuates that). Perhaps "contrast" or wasn't appropriate or specific enough in this case (color probably wasn't the biggest culprit to pick on, TBH)

The Pit isn't really anything to write home about in terms of design (though exudes function, but that's another matter), but I disagree with what you say about its color scheme serving no purpose. It's a UNSC training facility, so the colors have to be deliberate and clear for troops to effectively aim and shoot. The yellow/green color choice also works well for me unlike you though (I probably would have chosen a different shade of green if I had the chance, however).

I wholeheartedly agree with you on Reach's Forge color palette. Physically Based Rendering really would have helped a lot.

I didn't mean the color scheme of the Pit entirely, in terms of purpose. I think the greens, blues, and grays work well. Very well, and I noted how they melded well. The yellow just seems out of place (I don't know what the hell I was talking about with contrast itself being "purposeless", when I imploring on how contrast would work well in a less pushy notion. Screw my 3:00 A.M brain. Screw it to Hell. .-.), as I rarely, if EVER see a vibrant yellow on military equipment or buildings, despite living, well, essentially right next to one. It feels off, and I feel it could work, but it'd work better if it was a differing color.

Reach's idea for contrast and coloration in forge sucked whalesack. That's about it there. 

Why is asylum in those examples? Are you trying to say it looked any good because its looks absolutely hideous and the H5 map puts it to shame. There is nothing wrong with the way that H5 map looks. Those bigging up H3 by using the pit as an example obviously haven't played on narrows and construct which were pretty bland. Aesthetically there is nothing wrong with H5 maps.

I swear some of you hate on H5 just to hate sometimes.

• Upvote (+1) 10
  • Downvote (-1) 1

When we go from maps that look like this

Or when we go from this:

Backwash.jpg

To this:

Abandon_pic.png

Just kidding, there's no difference except the lens flare.

• Upvote (+1) 9

It's just hard to look at H5 maps, it's hard to identify what exactly you're looking at. Like the pit, you can easily identify the ramp, floor, snipe tower, hall, etc. I don't even know what I'm looking at for H5 except big open space on bottom and a ramp. That's it.

• Upvote (+1) 8

I can't be the only one worried about BTB getting released post launch, right? This just seems like deja vu to me. 343i doesn't include something at launch and promises to release is later. Does that ring a bell to anyone? Holding back content or features and releasing them at a later time (as to what a 'later time' is I guess bravo will just keep telling us it's "coming soon").

From the sounds of it, 343i hasn't changed their ways. I'm honestly really worried now. It feels like we're all going through the motions again and again and again. 

I can't be the only one worried about BTB getting released post launch, right? This just seems like deja vu to me. 343i doesn't include something at launch and promises to release is later. Does that ring a bell to anyone? Holding back content or features and releasing them at a later time (as to what a 'later time' is I guess bravo will just keep telling us it's "coming soon").

From the sounds of it, 343i hasn't changed their ways. I'm honestly really worried now. It feels like we're all going through the motions again and again and again. 

Slightly worried but can totally see why they're doing it. They're aiming to get Warzone out there and making it a smooth experience. If they split the teams up with some working on BTB, some on Arena and some on Warzone, the chances of all three having major bugs is a lot higher.

If we don't hear anything about these BTB maps before launch, that's when you should panic.

Btb will likely use forge maps, and edited war zone maps first.

There isn't going to be a BTB playlist at launch. 

I don't trust anyone to make a decent BTB map in a few weeks that has been tested for everything.

There isn't going to be a BTB playlist at launch.

I don't trust anyone to make a decent BTB map in a few weeks that has been tested for everything.

and I doubt that there will be dlc as soon as btb launches, didn't they even say that it would also use modified war zone maps?

and I doubt that there will be dlc as soon as btb launches, didn't they even say that it would also use modified war zone maps?

The idea is that they'll release the DLC, then add the BTB playlist with those BTB maps. 

They aren't using modified Warzone maps, no. Warzone maps can't even be forged on.

Wouldn't the whole "players not being able to see their targets" issue be a result of bad lighting? Which is not the case in Halo 5. Eden was problematic but the lighting's been greatly improved.

It was mentioned in the community update today as well that the lighting for some of the maps have been tweaked.

MCC would be a great game if everything 343 mentioned was true lol.

What bothers me the most about the fact that BTB isn't coming at launch, is the fact that competitive BTB leagues are getting shafted. Warzone doesn't even support either Forge or customs (no idea how customs aren't supported). It doesn't sound like there'll be ANY BTB maps at all when the game hits. So there's no other option than Warzone matchmaking left.

Of course setting up matches in that is impossible due to what I assume will be a massive population, so that's out of the window.

The last option is forging an entire set of BTB maps until DLC, but even then, I'm doubtful Forge will even be strong enough to allow maps supporting 16 people without dropping frames, so I'd rather not even count of that.

So after lobbies that couldn't even support 16 people in MCC, here we are. Imagine how the people who are dedicated to BTB feel? 

I swear some of you hate on H5 just to hate sometimes.

Nah but seriously, 343 has a track record of simply not caring about tradition and the things that made Halo great. They have put out only 2 games. Halo 4 and MCC. So I really don't need to explain all the things they have done wrong. Simply put, they havent delivered a good Halo game yet.

Making Halo 5 graphics into some complex and confusing futuristic computer simulation is just another thing that 343 is changing. Add that each map has 1000 different ledges and gaps that are intruding everywhere and only accessible from clamber, it's a disaster in my opinion. Halo has always been about simplicity and contrast when it comes to maps. The simplicity actually made it so there were a lot of complex tricks to learn, and contrast made it so your enemy was always distinguishable, something I have NEVER seen in another video game.

Idk, maybe I'm different, but I think Halo 1's graphics in 1080p are the most appealing graphics of the series.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Imagine how the people who are dedicated to BTB feel? 

I was fully intending to knock some basic gametype settings out and start hosting customs on default BTB maps right from the start. Would have been a solid opportunity to capitalise on initial population and to identify potential areas of improvement for the maps early on.

On the other hand at least I won't feel compelled to rush my first Campaign playthrough now.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Nah but seriously, 343 has a track record of simply not caring about tradition and the things that made Halo great. They have put out only 2 games. Halo 4 and MCC. So I really don't need to explain all the things they have done wrong.

Making Halo 5 graphics into some complex and confusing futuristic computer simulation is just another thing that 343 is changing. Add that each map has 1000 different ledges and gaps that are intruding anywhere and only accessible from clamber, it's a disaster in my opinion.

Idk, maybe I'm different, but I think Halo 1's graphics in 1080p are the most appealing graphics of the series.

I edited the first sentence out of your post, please don't post that kind of stuff.

Though many of you won't care, the new snowy Warzone map we saw at gamescom got its full name revealed in Canon Fodder. It's called March on Stormbreak. 

h5-guardians-warzone-establishing-stormb

Hoth? Is that you?  :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 1

Wait...so 343 said we were going to get 15 maps for free as DLC later on.

Are the BTB maps going to be a part of that number?

Yes. 6 Warzone maps and 9 Arena/BTB maps.

We don't know. BTB falls under Arena but they could exist outside of that.