CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I'm confused, what point are you trying to make?

The H5 map looks better than both of the others.

That's your opinion, but in my opinion H3 Pit > H5 That map. The forerunner maps could extremely better, still looks like Halo 4's Forerunner maps.

(Which some of them are not that bad, but some of them are terrible)

• Upvote (+1) 2

That's your opinion, but in my opinion H3 Pit > H5 That map. The forerunner maps could extremely better, still looks like Halo 4's Forerunner maps.

(Which some of them are not that bad, but some of them are terrible)

Well obviously that's just my opinion (do we really need to add an "imo" qualifier to every post?).

4's forerunner maps are some of the best looking maps in the series, imo. Haven and Monolith look fantastic.

The H5 map certainly looks cool, but the visual noise coupled with all the textures looking pretty similar to each other hurts gameplay.

H3 and Reach's maps had the perfect balance of being pretty, but still allow players to quickly see their targets. Plus they didn't use the same UNSC pallet on all the human maps.

• Upvote (+1) 2

The H5 map certainly looks cool, but the visual noise coupled with all the textures looking pretty similar to each other hurts gameplay.

H3 and Reach's maps had the perfect balance of being pretty, but still allow players to quickly see their targets. Plus they didn't use the same UNSC pallet on all the human maps.

Wouldn't the whole "players not being able to see their targets" issue be a result of bad lighting? Which is not the case in Halo 5. Eden was problematic but the lighting's been greatly improved.

It was mentioned in the community update today as well that the lighting for some of the maps have been tweaked.

When we go from maps that look like this

9XZgxsD.jpg

To maps that look like this..

oSHymje.jpg

#immersion

Or maps like this

NsQ9ORh.jpg

To this

Y9DNtEm.jpg

Bonus immersion: if gameplay sounds like Pinball Wizard 2.7 2k17

^^ There's like no contrast in that color scheme.

Whhyyyy 343

Ehhhhhh... The only contrast I really see with The Pit is the yellow (the others are greens, beige and gray/blue, which meld well with each other), and even then, it's just bordered around the map, with no real "purpose" (Design wise, but that's another story). It might be just me, but it feels "there" just to add contrast to the map, which, in one sense, I could see, but it just seems... "too" contrast-y and slightly pushy towards my vision. I just feel there needs to be subtly to it. The red and blues of Coliseum "gently" melding along the grays and whites might not be as out there as the Pit was, but to be frank, I like it, as it isn't obtrusive, but rather more subtle as I like. You're slowly introduced to the colors, rather than them just BEING there when you turn a corner, which I love. My criticism with the Pit also goes hand in hand with Asylum on Reach. The gray used on the bases, compared to the green for the grass is just HORRIBLY pushy in terms of color to me. It makes the base stand out a helluva lot more, but also makes it seem really out of place, in a sense. That's just me.

H3 and Reach's maps had the perfect balance of being pretty

I am just not seeing this. While 3 certainly had some nice looking maps, I could maybe consider 2 of the disc maps for Reach to be appealing(The rest were either average or bad in my eyes), and let's not get started with the Forge maps... A lot of the DLC maps were pretty though.

I am just not seeing this. While 3 certainly had some nice looking maps, I could maybe consider 2 of the disc maps for Reach to be appealing(The rest were either average or bad in my eyes), and let's not get started with the Forge maps... A lot of the DLC maps were pretty though.

Yeah it was mostly the DLC maps. Reflection looks amazing too.

Your profile image rocks so many socks. I read the caption and began dying laughing.

I wonder if this is a result of 343 simple do not have the time before launch or if it is a decision taken on commercial grounds? Maybe both :-/

Holmes said it was them wanting to focus on making sure Warzone launched as smoothly as possible. Considering they keep saying weeks after launch and not months, most of the BTB maps will be nearly-complete and launch pretty quick.

I've tried in the past to make minimalist Halo UI for fun. These were some of the earlier renditions:

65b2f67490de43ec15b226d3b894b1fd.jpg

f7862903c350a496eadb5e8345023c45.jpg

35176b0afee1dd3647761a44baa24e57.jpg

That is just perfect from even a Graphic designers point of view. 

How many free post launch maps are we getting again?

15 between October to June 2016. They haven't said what their plans are for post-June 2016.

Hopefully they don't stop because Halo Wars 2 is another companies game, shouldn't need much attention from 343.

That's good to hear. No reworked Warzone maps and is probably helpful in getting 14 arena maps at launch on the disc. Didn't 343 say the breakdown for the DLC maps would be 6 warzone and 9 arena? I wonder how many BTB maps we will get?

BTB falls under "Arena".