CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Can TeamBeyond just post their articles before the official reveal? Or has everybody signed NDAs?

I can guarantee that anyone who has any hands on with Halo 5 has agreed to an NDA.

I can guarantee that anyone who has any hands on with Halo 5 has agreed to an NDA.

Yeah, guess you're right. But wasn't Unyshek's article supposed to be out today, not midnight?

Not going to lie......this gives me a bit of hope. We want arena maps and we sure as shit are getting them from what this is showing. Sprint is still going to be a problem for map design.....but well see. This looks promising to say the least.

Yes, I am playing Mr.Optimistic

Edit: Also, it looks like he is shooting and sprinting at the same time. If this is true, then this is going to be a lot like oldschool doom.

(I'm sure somebody pointed this out, but I'm not reading 30 pages I missed since I have not been home)

I'm sorry, but I am excited about that if that's true. THAT is fine with me. My problems with sprint were the fact you can't shoot while moving. Lowering your gun takes so much away from the flow of gameplay. If this is the direction they're taking it, by all means. I prefer no sprint ( I think we all do ) but this....I can't really complain about. Crossing my fingers

This kinda lines up with frankie's "out of jail" post last night.

Really not liking the colour scheme and look of this map. Reminds me of the bland ass looking forge maps.

• Upvote (+1) 1

So we now have to change the competitive settings to cater to casuals more now?  CoD should do the same now too then?  Well shit, if we have to cater to casuals and change things based on what they want... hello sprint.

Yes, to the same degree that you should change the competitive settings of chess to cater to casuals. Ie, you don't. Again you fail to address my points or show any comprehension of the discussions that have happened in this forum repeatedly. Halo has to be competitive out of the box or the may as well just sell two versions of the game with casual or competitive mechanics. There's no reason to fuck around the way the fucking is currently around on the halo scene. We're tired of having to fix every game that comes out because the developers aren't getting it right, which turns away most casuals from watching tournaments because they don't know the settings. The % of people that would be reeled in by watching a competition they don't understand is going to be a lot smaller. Do you even vanilla bro?

Really not liking the colour scheme and look of this map. Reminds me of the bland ass looking forge maps.

Gameplay>>>

But to be honest, I feel like this game is going to be very different. 

I feel like it's going to be super good and super shitty at the same time. idk. Like some things when executed properly, are going to work and be amazing, and some things are going to go right down the shitter and fall flat...

Alright going to bed now (from the Netherlands) and tomorrow when I wake up either there will be a shitstorm here or pure joy. Lets hope for some good news!

The map reminds me of the reveal trailer when they jump into the "arena".

The map looks Tron(ish). Not necessarily a bad thing, I love Tron.

What time do we get to see Halo 5 Gameplay? Some are saying 11pm est and some are saying 9pm est.. which one is it?

What time do we get to see Halo 5 Gameplay? Some are saying 11pm est and some are saying 9pm est.. which one is it?

I believe it's 11pm est for the gameplay, but I could be wrong.

From what it says on IGN, it starts at 11pm est and lasts an hour and presumably the NDA will be lifted as soon as the stream ends. From the sounds of it, half of the stream will be to showcase the first episode of nightfall however there will be one full match shown from the halo 5 beta/alpha or whatever build it is. 

Indeed.

Yeah, guess you're right. But wasn't Unyshek's article supposed to be out today, not midnight?

Technically, it comes out today in my timezone

(9pm Pacific). Sorry if the timezone messed with you! 

• Upvote (+1) 2

What is the link we should use at 11 to see the reveal?

Twitch.tv/Halo I believe.

I saw a lot of posts today about sprint/no sprint with people talking about "toggles" and just basic arguments around redesigning maps if they take sprint out. The other day I was watching this video on the "movement model" for Toxikk and I think it makes a clear explanation of why things like sprint, thruster, strafing, versatility, and all these other mechanisms that effect "movement" are so important and serve as the foundation on which pretty much all the rest of the game is built. Hopefully it is clear why these topics are so important and why people have such concern because it isn't a simple "fix".

When you start to work on an arena FPS you can'r really design maps, weapons, or pretty much anything else without having the movement set in stone first. 

This means before the first line of code was written we already gave quite a bit of reign to think about what movement model we really want for the game.

http://youtu.be/ed_xu_DUEbs

*Note that I'm not saying Toxikk has the "right" model or endorsing the game. I just thought that statement at the beginning of the video was relevant and very true.

• Upvote (+1) 1

If you can shoot whilst sprinting (as suggested by one of those pictures) it removes a lot of my worries.  Really hope the maps don't suffer too much from it though.  That leaked map looks really nice in my opinion.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

I'm just gonna leave this here:

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/d76f090378914a9bb85312f87cf09b99/topics/response-to-gdc-panel-what-a-joke/ab7f4b99-910b-4458-9a89-3da54fd8936b/posts

140 pages of pissed off waypointers. 450 upvotes on my OP regarding their direction. They are still taking in that direction. I don't see them changing course. They have a destination they want to take Halo and I think they will take it there. 

If you can shoot whilst sprinting (as suggested by one of those pictures) it removes a lot of my worries.  Really hope the maps don't suffer too much from it though.  That leaked map looks really nice in my opinion.

How is shooting and sprinting at the same time a good thing?

xYrimFW.gif

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I love going through history. Here is a brilliant quote from just after H4GC

"Halo is blessed with an amazing community. During these quiet times it is our truly passionate fans that shine the brightest. It's because of all of you that we get to work on something we love each and every day, we're grateful for that opportunity. Please continue giving us your feedback, both about Halo 4 and what you'd like to see in the next installment of the franchise. Because, while you may not know it yet, you're guiding our path for the future, and it's a bright one, indeed".

You must've seriously misread our guidance then 343. 

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 2

I love going through history. Here is a brilliant quote from just after H4GC

You must've seriously misread our guidance then 343. 

No doubt we're going to see a different version of that exact quote throughout 2015.

EDIT: Yeah I know, all developers grease rubs with those statements, even insincerely. Nothing new.