CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Yeah. AR/Pistol starts might be good. We'll find out soon.

Yeah I think ultimately we'll have to wait until the invitational to see but from what we saw yesterday i'm not too sure about the AR anymore, before that I was all for it but the pistol has turned out to be a 5sk instead of the 4sk we wanted and turned the whole idea on it's head imo. Also the fact that spectators might not want to watch strictly pistol gameplay as may be the case with AR starts because I don't imagine many pros using the AR often which makes it pretty useless to have as a starting weapon when we could just have a BR instead.

Is it terrible? Here's where both teams spawn and the likely routes they'll take from spawn to get the OS:

EW8h7Yi.jpg

Both teams have a fairly equal chance at getting it.

The chance is as equal as OS on Guardian...

Is it terrible? Here's where both teams spawn and the likely routes they'll take from spawn to get the OS:

EW8h7Yi.jpg

I could see red having a bigger chance getting it.

EW8h7Yi.jpg

I don't think you can say that without knowing the weapon displacement. The blue team is obviously closer to the OS, so they have the advantage right there. It comes down to what kind of weapon is on the path for both teams, and obviously the cover surrounding that part of the map.  

Maybe they wan't the OS to be on the Blue's team. There are plenty of maps were only one of the teams will get a certain item always. I see the OS becoming the Blue's team fairly quick especially if they can go ahead and grenade the OS to themselves..

What's on J to counter E?

Yeah I think ultimately we'll have to wait until the invitational to see but from what we saw yesterday i'm not too sure about the AR anymore, before that I was all for it but the pistol has turned out to be a 5sk instead of the 4sk we wanted and turned the whole idea on it's head imo. Also the fact that spectators might not want to watch strictly pistol gameplay as may be the case with AR starts because I don't imagine many pros using the AR often which makes it pretty useless to have as a starting weapon when we could just have a BR instead.

Based on all of the recent footage I've seen, I have no reason not to believe the Magnum is a 5SK. The only thing that weapon took out of the Beta was a slower fire rate and nothing to compensate for that nerf.

New map? Reminds me of Guardian.

Incineration Cannon looks cool.

jVruaYy.png?1

Isn't that Coliseum?

• Upvote (+1) 2

jVruaYy.png?1

Pretty sure that's just Coliseum, you could even see the Incineration Cannon when they introduced the map ;)

are these arena maps really only gonna have one to two items to control? was hoping to see everything on these maps, rockets, snipes, camo, os, shottys, etc.

jVruaYy.png?1

Looks like he's running around with a mountain. The gun should have been called Vulcan, instead of the Incinerator Cannon. 

Personally, from what we saw yesterday, I'd be content with just pistol starts, but then again, 343 are going to want to keep it close to vanilla settings, which does mean AR/Pistol starts. However, those who want to use the Pistol are going to switch to it when they spawn, and those who don't want an AR are going to drop it as soon as possible. As long as Pistol is usable, unlike the H3 Magnum, then we should be okay with AR/Pistol starts.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't think you can say that without knowing the weapon displacement. The blue team is obviously closer to the OS, so they have the advantage right there. It comes down to what kind of weapon is on the path for both teams, and obviously the cover surrounding that part of the map.  

Maybe they wan't the OS to be on the Blue's team. There are plenty of maps were only one of the teams will get a certain item always.

Except Fathom is a symmetrical map meant for symmetrical gametypes where neither team has an inherent advantage. It's awful placement no matter how you slice it.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I hope that thing isn't as powerful as the H4 version.

It works differently now. Not as powerful as Halo 4's but still powerful.

Yea it adds another dynamic, just not a good one. In CE you could use your AR when someone turns a corner, but they could still 3 shot you it's just a little bit more difficult. In Halo 5 the pistol doesn't stand a chance if you turn a corner and someone was waiting with an AR. The AR requires little skill while being able to dominate in close range. That doesn't seem good for competitive at all.

None of us here have played the updated AR. You're thinking about the beta version which was tweaked since then. From what I read in the post-beta updates the gun should not be so easy to get kills with at close ranges. However, we'll find out on friday with the stream.

• Upvote (+1) 1

EW8h7Yi.jpg

Yeah, maybe it's fairly balanced for the first OS of the game, but once each team gains control of its half of the map Blue team has free OS for the rest of the game...

Off topic, you better keep that avatar for a long time because it's awesome.

Are we aware of the capabilities of OS and Active yet? Is it a strong single layer or weak enough to merit two?

I've seen maybe 10 seconds of camo and it looked FAST, though you showed up when meleeing

Are we aware of the capabilities of OS and Active yet? Is it a strong single layer or weak enough to merit two?

I've seen maybe 10 seconds of camo and it looked FAST, though you showed up when meleeing

OS is single layer, weak.

Camo activates almost instantly and lasts for 30 seconds if I'm looking at it right.

EW8h7Yi.jpg

That seems like pretty limited spawns for a map with a sniper. Also, since CTF will be played there, they'll have than in the corner as well?

The beta pistol would have made an okay starting weapon, but this new one I'm not so sure about. The bias people have for making sure the pistol stays relevant (or whatever) is hilarious, though. On par with the blind love people have for the BR because Halo 2 and Halo 3 and pew-pew-pew.

I actually think BR/SMG starts is something to look at when the game launches. I'm not overly confident in the idea at this point (SMG might be too rangy for it to work), but I'm intrigued by the thought of giving players higher lethality off spawn to compensate for the litany of escape options provided by the maps and by spartan abilities. It's not as if Halo 5 is a blisteringly fast game to begin with; team slayer games are actually rather plodding and aimless.

Bruh, it's not bias. Fact is, the Pistol kills faster than BR, and takes more skill. Choosing BR over it would just be dumb.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Neighbor and friends have played these maps for hours, I'm guessing they're at least reasonably balanced ...

• Upvote (+1) 1

The weapon powerup placement - even ignoring OS - is still garbage. There's only 2 precision rifles on each teams side. I mean, lucky the pistol is decent, but I think that's just ridiculous. Compared to The Pit for example which had a similiar number of power weapons (more actually), but had BR's all over the joint, two powerups, heaps of grenade spawns, etc.

None of us here have played the updated AR. You're thinking about the beta version which was tweaked since then. From what I read in the post-beta updates the gun should not be so easy to get kills with at close ranges. However, we'll find out on friday with the stream.

All they mentioned was nerfing headshot bonuses and smartlink bonuses, right?