CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

my question is this, if you can toggle off sprint, does that mean charge and slide go as well or nah?

Logically they would have to go too since you don't have sprint. But knowing 343...

my question is this, if you can toggle off sprint, does that mean charge and slide go as well or nah?

Hopefully but I cannot see sprint ever leaving at this point.

This is surely a joke, right?

How the fuck is stopping, looking at a ledge and performing a stupid animation in any way smoother than jumping, crouching up a ledge in any direction without ever putting your gun away?

Clamber is fucking awful...

A boosted jump would be preferred over climbing any day.

I was never a huge fan of certain people crying out "comp settings need to be vanilla as possible otherwise casuals won't watch it".

I have a feeling it's going to cause a lot of problems with this game if they don't change their mentality on this.

I was never a huge fan of certain people crying out "comp settings need to be vanilla as possible otherwise casuals won't watch it".

What really matters is having the maps be vanilla as possible. Starting weapons, minor movement tweaks, etc don't matter nearly as much.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yes. The only way to do Spartan Charge and Slide is running at top speed using Sprint. 

Logically they would have to go too since you don't have sprint. But knowing 343...

There's no way to achieve maximum momentum without sprinting, making charging and sliding impossible.

Hopefully but I cannot see sprint ever leaving at this point.

Sprint won't be leaving, but it can be toggled off in custom games.

What really matters is having the maps be vanilla as possible. Starting weapons, minor movement tweaks, etc don't matter nearly as much.

To keep them the same, if there are changes that need to be made to make the map better for comp. play, they should change the vanilla map as well. Keep them the same by changing both, not just refusing to change the map.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

i actually like slide though so if sprint ever gets taken out, it would suck losing another ability that actually lets me shoot and move

Not only that, but having different settings is the ONLY THING that would get a casual player to try it. For real. Casual players aren't interested in experiencing the "competitive mindset", they're interested in novelty. Having different settings in comp would supply that novelty.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

To keep them the same, if there are changes that need to be made to make the map better for comp. play, they should change the vanilla map as well. Keep them the same by changing both, not just refusing to change the map.

Agreed. Playing default H3 after being exposed to MLG settings is just frustrating. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

That is part of the strategy of halo though. It gives the team the advantage that got to the powerup first. 

I'm assuming that you really like playing Halo 2 and Halo 3 and never really played Halo CE before so you will probably never fully understand my hatred towards dynamic weapon/power-up spawns and my love for static weapon/power-up spawns. IMO dynamic spawns for power-ups and power weapons doesn't add any depth to the game, all it does do though is add inconsistency and cause a imbalanced snowball effect because one team knows when the important items are spawning and other team doesn't know. Static spawns for power-ups and power weapons allows for both teams to challenge for control of the power-ups and power weapons since both teams know when they're coming up. It makes the game more interesting to play since you're always being challenged by your opponent for control over the power-ups and power weapons unlike in Halo 2 and Halo 3 where you aren't always being challenged for them.

• Upvote (+1) 1

From watching the new gameplay footage, the magnum looked pretty damn powerful. I think it was a 4sk?

From watching the new gameplay footage, the magnum looked pretty damn powerful. I think it was a 4sk?

It's a 5. If it does get buffed to a 4sk then I will be very happy.

One of my only complaints so far is that Halo 5 doesn't look like Reach/H3. Reach had the best graphics of any Halo. Halo 5 looks like one big seizure of over the top lighting and textures.

Anyone here like Halo 5 graphics over Reach/H3?

To me Halo 5 looks like Reach with more light.

I'm assuming that you really like playing Halo 2 and Halo 3 and never really played Halo CE before so you will probably never fully understand my hatred towards dynamic weapon/power-up spawns and my love for static weapon/power-up spawns. IMO dynamic spawns for power-ups and power weapons doesn't any depth to the game, all it does do though is add inconsistency and cause a imbalanced snowball effect because one team knows when the important items are spawning and other team doesn't know. Static spawns for power-ups and power weapons allows for both teams to challenge for control of the power-ups and power weapons since both teams know when they're coming up. It makes the game more interesting to play since you're always being challenged by your opponent for control over the power-ups and power weapons unlike in Halo 2 and Halo 3 where you aren't always being challenged for them.

Actually, there are indicators for the power ups, and whether they've been grabbed or not. So even if your team didn't get it, you'll know what time the next one is up. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Actually, there are indicators for the power ups, and whether they've been grabbed or not. So even if your team didn't get it, you'll know what time the next one is up. 

The Powerup spawns by a Weapon Pad, and all Weapon Pads are Static spawns.

Dynamic Powerup spawns suck ass. What if I was not looking at the part of the map, and someone picks it up. It's awkward and confusing.

Static spawns on the power ups would be 100x better. Aren't the weapons static? Why the discrepancy? Plus, both teams would know exactly when they're up. Much more exciting, a la CE.

Also, no AR/Pistol starts in hcs, please. Make the pistol good enough to not be fucked off spawn if someone has a rifle in other gametypes, but I don't think the pistol should be a mini-rifle. Make it kill faster at close range, but lose at mid to long range. And, for the love of God, speed up kill times again. I thought they were great in the beta.

It's a 5. If it does get buffed to a 4sk then I will be very happy.

Damn, well I don't wanna fully judge its usefulness yet. It looked pretty effective.

On another note, I like what they did with the player outlines for spectators.

Doesn't matter, I want static power-up spawns for consistency also not just only so both teams can know when it's spawning. I want a guaranteed power-up spawning at the same time as power weapons such as the rockets so there is a way to counter them. Power-ups can help balance power weapons.

I think 343 needs to realize this game is gonna need tweaks (some major, some minor) for this game to be at its competitive best. Trying to keep the settings as vanilla as possible for viewers is ass backwards to me. Make the setting as competitive as possible then worry about how to make it viewable not the other way around. If that plays different from the base game oh well. The game plays differently at a competitive level and the settings need to reflect that.

I think 343 needs to realize this game is gonna need tweaks (some major, some minor) for this game to be at its competitive best. Trying to keep the settings as vanilla as possible for viewers is ass backwards to me. Make the setting as competitive as possible then worry about how to make it viewable not the other way around. If that plays different from the base game oh well. The game plays differently at a competitive level and the settings need to reflect that.

The idea is to make the vanilla game competitive so the competitive settings aren't drastically different like in Halo: Reach and Halo 4.

If you showed some new guy the competitive settings for Halo: Reach, he would be like "what on earth is this"

Static spawns on the power ups would be 100x better. Aren't the weapons static? Why the discrepancy? Plus, both teams would know exactly when they're up. Much more exciting, a la CE.

Also, no AR/Pistol starts in hcs, please. Make the pistol good enough to not be fucked off spawn if someone has a rifle in other gametypes, but I don't think the pistol should be a mini-rifle. Make it kill faster at close range, but lose at mid to long range. And, for the love of God, speed up kill times again. I thought they were great in the beta.

What weapon would you have in HCS instead?

BR? The least competitive utility rifle in the game?

DMR? Something with a 3x range?

CC? A spammy 7sk, with pink bullets?

LR? A gun that does different amounts of damage depending on whether it's scoped in or not?

• Downvote (-1) 1

The idea is to make the vanilla game competitive so the competitive settings aren't drastically different like in Halo: Reach and Halo 4.

If you showed some new guy the competitive settings for Halo: Reach, he would be like "what on earth is this"

He'd have to learn them just like anything else you see for the first time. I just dont wanna be playing less than optimal settings because they want to cater to causals who prob wont even play the game at the level we play it.